Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would hope any paid dlc for Origins is adding new games and not just letting devs finish the ones we already got lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amy rose. amy rose. amy rose. amy rose.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sonic 3 gets a new soundtrack in the DLC by Mamoru Samuragochi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Also Knuckles in Sonic CD (which should have been a feature in the base game)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I did not purchase Sonic Origins, because I have played each of those games in that collection several hundred times already and felt little need to but them all once again.

But I might be persuaded by Amy Rose.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Does the "Sonic was never good" source video from IGN still exist?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I demand they convert this to a Megadrive-era sprite:

https://twitter.com/ArtisanJW/status/1621818279357562880?t=vtcpij5AFaScZh5mrhlgcg&s=19

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I've become uncertain that Romy Chacon is solely Gabrie's alias. Gabrie got kicked off the book after Issue 136, yet stories written under the Chacon name kept coming into the comic. Plus the oneshot Antoine flashback story in 137 seems nothing like the oneshot backup story about Sally's mother written by the Chacon from Issue 120.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically that move originated in the first Sonic Advance game (press down and jump to do her little leap dash move then immediately press jump again during it to make her faceplant)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Advance 1 and 2 also gave Sonic a forward air-dash ability (pressing left/right 3 times in A1 and twice in A2)

Only real useful in A2 since it let you close in on bosses faster

Also, holding the jump button while jumping onto rails would cause you to leap off early and do aerial tricks at the cost of distance (which A2/3 mitigates by letting you press R in midair for a movement trick depending on the direction held, although in A3 you need specific partners to pull it off)

In A1, pressing B twice then A as Sonic would cause him to leap backwards while spinning

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Delphisage posted:

I've become uncertain that Romy Chacon is solely Gabrie's alias. Gabrie got kicked off the book after Issue 136, yet stories written under the Chacon name kept coming into the comic. Plus the oneshot Antoine flashback story in 137 seems nothing like the oneshot backup story about Sally's mother written by the Chacon from Issue 120.

Possibly stories that were purchased before he left.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Advance 1 and 2 also gave Sonic a forward air-dash ability (pressing left/right 3 times in A1 and twice in A2)

Only real useful in A2 since it let you close in on bosses faster

Also, holding the jump button while jumping onto rails would cause you to leap off early and do aerial tricks at the cost of distance (which A2/3 mitigates by letting you press R in midair for a movement trick depending on the direction held, although in A3 you need specific partners to pull it off)

In A1, pressing B twice then A as Sonic would cause him to leap backwards while spinning

Amy can do the rail jump trick as well (and they both can still do it in A2 as well)

Also the homing attack is present in Advance 2, 3 (only when teamed up with Cream), Rush, and Rush Adventure but works a little differently (when close to an enemy as Sonic press the jump button twice in succession, in the Rush games press the R button in midair )

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 11, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My obscure fact is that there is a tiny spot in the ceiling right above the entrance to the pool area in station square that has no collision, and if you jump right as the doors close you can get behind the geometry and enter the emerald coast level with any character

You can complete the level with knuckles and tails, but amy can't run fast enough to get past the whale

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the homing attack, it was technically first invented in 3D Blast as an ability you get when equipped with a gold shield

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of 3D Blast the level select screen is actually a failsafe glitch where if the game would crash or otherwise error out it dumps you there instead. If you hit the cartridge just enough to nudge it out of contact it's almost guaranteed you'll get it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of the connector pins and stuff. Here's one I bet no one knows. Although, it's probably more of a common sense thing than a secret.

I had an old Genesis that wasn't working right. And at one point my dad ripped my Sonic 3 cart out while it was still on. Ever since then, my save files on that cart won't work. But it plays just fine otherwise. And it has the bonus of making the lock-on unusable with S&K. It won't even go to Blue Spheres as if it reads it wrong. It just goes to S&K like nothing is in the top. It's a pretty great trick he played on me. And I bet it still works if you show it to your friends today.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

My obscure fact is that there is a tiny spot in the ceiling right above the entrance to the pool area in station square that has no collision, and if you jump right as the doors close you can get behind the geometry and enter the emerald coast level with any character

You can complete the level with knuckles and tails, but amy can't run fast enough to get past the whale

I thought Knuckles spawns on a spring in the second part and can't proceed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrickboiCarti/status/1625283568468430848

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looking it up it seems she’s from something called “Sonic & Tails R”. I’ve never heard of it but apparently it’s a radio drama that Ryan Drummond and Mike Pollock also leant their voices to

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Umm, good for them? Who gives a poo poo?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The fandom is now old enough to gossip about the sex lives of actors. Soon we'll be playing golf

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sonic megathread: gently caress the pain away, the voice. Was used.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Apparently the drama part is that Ryan wasn't divorced at the time (though he was already separated from his ex), and that he's nearly twice Emi's age. Still not really something to gossip about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I’ve never heard of any of the things Emi’s been in (I assume most of them were fan projects that some of the official VAs volunteered to lend their voices to). Were they any good/still available?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 14, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Why does someone with an Amy pfp have the username "tailsprowergirl"?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delphisage posted:

Why does someone with an Amy pfp have the username "tailsprowergirl"?

She apparently voiced Tails in a couple (what I assume are) fan projects:

https://imdb.com/name/nm6112422/

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I keep thinking about what you’d say using the Sonic voice during sex and making myself laugh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

holefoods posted:

I keep thinking about what you’d say using the Sonic voice during sex and making myself laugh

Just listening to voice clips from SA2 and having a laugh

"No food or movies? I'm outta here!"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

“This must be the way to the sky deck!”

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Only acceptable if she did the "Whooooaaaa my head's spinning!" Tails line

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

holefoods posted:

Gotta cum fast!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

please never have sex with someone and then tweet about it good lord

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hogama posted:

Apparently the drama part is that Ryan wasn't divorced at the time (though he was already separated from his ex), and that he's nearly twice Emi's age. Still not really something to gossip about.

There's been a resurgence in Giving A gently caress about infidelity among the people who entertain us lately. Like I've seen people freaking out because some youtube cheated on his wife and like. Who gives a gently caress? It's their life, it has nothing to do with you, they just entertain you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

There's been a resurgence in Giving A gently caress about infidelity among the people who entertain us lately. Like I've seen people freaking out because some youtube cheated on his wife and like. Who gives a gently caress? It's their life, it has nothing to do with you, they just entertain you.

Lately? I’m pretty sure weird celebrity gossip has been a thing for a long time now (otherwise completely agreed)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I keep thinking about Supporting Me, trying to work out how to interpret it. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out who the message is from and to - who is supporting who. I've seen two pretty convincing suggestions, I think both of them were in youtube comments. I'd like to hear what y'all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFdTDphx748

quote:

I'm gonna be desperate...

Never lose... hurry...
Never lose... hurry...

I believe in my future, farewell to the shadow
It was my place to live, but now I need your hand
Lead me out with your light, I have breathed in
The disgusting air of darkness, but I never lose out

To the pressure, everything's just like
An illusion, I'll be losing you, before long

Never lose... hurry... never lose...

I never lose my confidence

I know you're supporting me...
Supporting me... supporting me...

There's two voices, the heavily filtered one I've put in italics and a clearer but still distorted one in bold. I think it's obvious from the lyrics that the filtered voice is Shadow, just like in his other vocal tracks. The distorted voice might also be Shadow, but it could be intended to represent someone else. None of Shadow's other songs have two super distinct kinds of vocal processing like that. Throw It All Away is closest, I guess. But the processing changes in what could be the middle of a sentence, so maybe it's just a musical trick to make that bit more dramatic.

So, the part that seems uncontroversial to me is that the song represents Shadow's true heroic nature starting to re-emerge. You can hear Live And Learn in the background, and that song reads to me like Sonic welcoming Shadow back to the present, to the world of the living, now that he's thrown off the control of a dead guy from 50 years ago.

That leads me to my first hypothesis, the one I lean towards slightly more, which is that the distorted voice is Sonic calling out to Shadow and bringing him towards the light. It has one line early on, but its part really kicks in at the same time that Live And Learn starts, and they're distorted in a similar way - they sound kind of like they're on the other side of a glass wall. Sonic is reaching out to Shadow by reassuring him and accepting his help. "It's ok man, I see you. I get that you're supporting me."

The second hypothesis is that both voices are Shadow, and he's talking to Maria. His remembering what she really wanted is what turned him around on the plan, so he's keeping his resolve by telling himself that this is what she'd have wanted.

That bit about "I'll be losing you before long" is tricky. It seems to suggest someone else talking to Shadow, someone who knows that he's not going to survive the battle. That seems to rule out Sonic, because Sonic wouldn't know that, but he might do just within the context of the song for dramatic effect. Maybe it's Shadow talking to Maria, saying that after this is done he'll be at a loose end, having to make his own way without her. On the other hand, it could suggest that the distorted voice is the spirit of Maria, who, being dead, can know whatever a writer wants her to.

I don't know. Like I say I lean a little more towards the idea that it's a Shadow/Sonic duet, but that could just be because I heard that idea first. Thoughts?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
It somehow had not occurred to me before that Shadow was the viewpoint for his songs in SA2 even though duh.

Shadow The Hedgehog posted:

Everybody tries to be straight
But things are still unchanged
It's useless to resist

Glad to hear Shadow advocating for gay acceptance even back when he was supposed to be a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The lyrics to White Forest and Final Chase are pretty clearly his inner thoughts for that part of the story, yeah. They're really hard to hear, though, so I don't blame anyone for not catching on. Radical Highway is interesting for the fact that it doesn't have lyrics, just a pounding pulse and a melody that seems to go round and round in circles, it's basically the theme of a violent PTSD episode. Shadow has the emerald already at the start of the stage, he could leave any time. But he hears the sirens, flashes back to the death of Maria, and goes on an unthinking rampage of vengeance.

Sky Rail doesn't count for poo poo cause it's a hastily-reassigned Sonic stage with gimmicks that were obviously made for Sonic, and its music is Sonic's music. It's just instrumental rock that fits the vibes of the level, cause Sonic is a vibes based protagonist.

I have kind of a three quarters formed hypothesis that Throw It All Away is actually Gerald's song to Shadow, showing Gerald's perspective on the monster he's turning Shadow into. For a start, it's written in the second person, while other character themes are in the first person. It talks about him having to face a light again and again. That could refer to his clashes with Sonic or his flashbacks to Maria, but it could also be about how his better nature will try to reassert itself and he has to keep pushing it back down. And there's that line you quoted. It reads to me like writing off everyone else as just trying to get by and keep their heads down. Shadow hasn't had time to observe any ordinary people, he wouldn't be able to form that opinion. It comes off as cynical and world-weary in a way that I don't think Shadow is even before his face turn, but a bitter old man like Gerald very well might be.

Then there's how it's used in the story. The instrumental version usually comes up at times when Shadow's mind is in turmoil, like when he's reliving his trauma, as if he's struggling with his programming. But the lyrical version only plays in the cutscene where Sonic first meets him (there's not much difference in the snippet they use, but you can hear "Now wake up..." under the music, which the instrumental version doesn't have). That scene is the moment when he's most clearly embodying Gerald's wishes.

If you want to step outside just SA2 and really overthink it, there's also the fact that when he next has his own theme, it's regular instrumental butt rock like Sonic's music, not the industrial electronic SA2 style. You could say that the dark industrial is really Gerald's genre, not Shadow's, and Live and Learn is when the switch happens.

Feel free to poke holes in that, I'm sure there's something I've missed.