Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Killingyouguy! posted:

I successfully hemmed my shower curtain so it doesn't drag a huge pile of fabric along the shower floor :shobon: it's really not a straight line (idk how machine sewing a straight line is so difficult for me) but also it's not really that noticeable.

I've never put machine sewing to a visible use in my home before because I'm still not very confident in my ability and I don't want to waste fabric practicing, so this is pretty exciting for me

I used a lot of seam tape and chalk lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
IMO it can be kind of charming to leave in some flaws in the finished product. In the future when you look at that wonky shower curtain hem, you'll be reminded of the process of making that particular thing and hopefully of how proud you were when you finished it :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You'll see a lot of Turkish carpets and murals with a deliberate flaw in them because of a custom going back untold centuries that says that if only god is perfect then only his work can be perfect in turn.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DominoKitten posted:

Another great beginner project is tote bags! Straight line practice galore and even a crookedly seen one works.

Great way to get used to working with heavier weight cloth too. I have made dozens of canvas drawstring bags out of end of season clearance duck to get used to how it behaves for more important projects. They're always useful for something.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Made a few drawstring bags after this thread last night and I forget how fun they are. At it's absolute simplest you can take an oblong of fabric fold in two, pattern sides together, sew down side and bottom, turn the top down 1.5 inches for your string and then sew round leaving a gap for it to poke through. Once you've done that you can look at blog posts on different finishing methods, linings and casings for the string (I prefer lined with a separate casing stitched to outside when the fabric is still an oblong) and as your skills progress your bags get fancier, but your first bag will still be in the bathroom holding shower gel.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wot I made last night, unfortunately imgur is now app only and the image hosting on this site is from 2006,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
hello. id like to get into clothes making for myself. i took a class on how to use a sewing machine and theres another class on how to read patterns that i think i will do as well. i was looking at sewing kits to buy, im going to wait on the machine because the library my roommate works at allows people to check out machines. anyways i was looking at kits for everything else and does this seem ok?

https://a.co/d/cwuJ4P9
https://a.co/d/c1qXRy9
https://a.co/d/9VpVdNx

theyre amazon, and im torn because some of the kits seem kind of cheap, and im not sure if i should buy things separately. but dont want to blow too much money at once on a new hobby.

planning to start with sweatpants/basic sweater patterns.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Get a basic how to sew book first, any of the DK books by Alison smith will do, and buy all the things on the list it gives you sticking to frisker scissors. Will come to less than those kits and you'll also have a book. (:haw:)

Start with elasticated waist pyjama bottoms or jogging bottoms using cotton not stretch for a first project.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

hello. id like to get into clothes making for myself. i took a class on how to use a sewing machine and theres another class on how to read patterns that i think i will do as well. i was looking at sewing kits to buy, im going to wait on the machine because the library my roommate works at allows people to check out machines. anyways i was looking at kits for everything else and does this seem ok?

https://a.co/d/cwuJ4P9
https://a.co/d/c1qXRy9
https://a.co/d/9VpVdNx

theyre amazon, and im torn because some of the kits seem kind of cheap, and im not sure if i should buy things separately. but dont want to blow too much money at once on a new hobby.

planning to start with sweatpants/basic sweater patterns.

learnincurve posted:

Get a basic how to sew book first, any of the DK books by Alison smith will do, and buy all the things on the list it gives you sticking to frisker scissors. Will come to less than those kits and you'll also have a book. (:haw:)

Start with elasticated waist pyjama bottoms or jogging bottoms using cotton not stretch for a first project.

Do what learnincurve says. Your roommate can probably even get that book for you through the library, saving you some cash to see if you like it!

My very first sewing, other than hemming and making masks, was a dress and a pair of leggings out of compression tricot. It went OK, since I'd picked a very stable knit, but boy howdy did I learn a lot and I had a lot of stops and starts. It would not have gone well at all had I not made several woven masks first.

Take a look at this set of free pajama pants patterns. Make yourself pair that fits in some fun woven fabric, then move on to sweatpants. You'll have much more fun with the sweatpants and you won't risk messing up on more expensive fabric!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Machine sewing compression fabric for the first time is Fun.

Only thing I enjoyed less was my first encounter with a loosely woven wool.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

My most aggravating fabric experience was sewing satin onto velvet. I tried hand-basting to get it to stop slipping, but even that didn't work well enough. I ended up using double sided tape to stick the seams together and then removed the tape after I finished.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It turns out you can use pritt stick to baste stuff, it's not amazingly secure but it'll last long enough to hold a patch or a seam in place.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

learnincurve posted:

It turns out you can use pritt stick to baste stuff, it's not amazingly secure but it'll last long enough to hold a patch or a seam in place.

That's a glue stick like Elmer's for all us US-ians.

Also I love double-sided wash-away tape. Game changer for slippery fabrics.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I recently learned about basting quilts with glue sticks and it works great.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

how often do you guys make a muslin version of what youre creating? im tempted to have it for my first couple creations cuz im new, but is it something i should keep getting?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

how often do you guys make a muslin version of what youre creating? im tempted to have it for my first couple creations cuz im new, but is it something i should keep getting?

It's probably more important for more tailored fits, or something form fitting, but for something like pajama pants I wouldn't bother.

But because I'm not necessarily a smart person, I have often just yolo'd it even when a muslin would have been a good idea because I was a broke-rear end cosplayer who was already cheaping out as best I could on fabric without it being literal bargain-bin.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My muslin decision guide:

1. Am I familiar with the fabric, or a very similar fabric?

2. Have I made this garment type before?

3. Have I made anything from this designer or pattern company before?

4. Do I see any critical fit issues requiring alterations that I have not done before with a similar garment and fabric?

5. Is a good fit critical for this garment, or is "close enough" ok?

6. Am I sewing for someone else, and did they take their own measurements?

7. Do I have an easy way to check finished garment measurements? (Such as using the measuring tool on a PDF.)

8. Is there a technique I need to practice?

If enough of those point to trouble, I make a muslin.

But if it's a designer I'm familiar with using fabric I've used before, I might charge ahead without a muslin and just do my "standard" alterations and hope for the best. Especially if the fabric isn't something special.

effika fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 14, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stewart did not study dance at Carnegie Mellon so become a flight attendant to clean bathrooms!

Wesleyan is the Harvard of central Connecticut!

Yale is the Harvard of central Connecticut

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Has anyone sewn a tuffet before? I've been thinking of doing one for my kid - it seems pretty similar to making a quilt.

I'm just wondering whether standard quilting cotton is going to be strong enough for what is basically upholstery. (And if you use heavier-grade fabric, how does that go for piecing?)

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I had to look it up, because i'm not familiar with tuffets. But I found a couple different instructional pages/companies.

Looks like they used [quality] quilting cotton, and interfacing. So, as long as the cotton isn't super flimsy it seems like it would be ok because of the interfacing!

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 16, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oh yeah interfacing could work, although I think I'd still worry about the cotton itself wearing through with time.

Anyway I've been thinking of doing some sort of radial Bargello nonsense for it. Just have to clear my project backlog first, lol.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

why do patterns only go to size 14 but the envelopes go up to 22? am i just supposed to make the patterns larger? is this what "adjusting" means?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

why do patterns only go to size 14 but the envelopes go up to 22? am i just supposed to make the patterns larger? is this what "adjusting" means?

What’s the pattern? A lot of patterns with wide sizing split up the size ranges. So one envelope might have sizes 6-14 and another 16-22. It should say on the front of the envelope what’s included (if you’re looking at something from a big pattern company). It’s especially annoying when you’re between the middle sizes lol

Resizing patterns, especially more than a couple sizes, is a whole thing on it’s own.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

aww i bought the skinny ppl envelope. i guess now is the time to ask if theres a good place to buy the physical patterns cheaply. i know i can go the website directly but ive also seen physical patterns on etsy. do people just wait for sales on patterns

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
buy a tilly and the buttons pattern - printed on thick paper and well worth the extra money, I've made her pyjama bottoms pattern countless times now

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

If you’re talking about a Simplicity/Butterick/McCall/Vogue pattern, I’d just wait for the brand’s pattern sale at JoAnns. That’s probably the cheapest option.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

We're also in the era of buying PDF patterns from small-time designers. Various sewing shops will then print them large format for you, and it can often come out about the same price as the more commercial patterns. You'll usually get all the different sizes and variations, so you can pick which one to get printed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It turns out that the only reason we were using 1940s tissue paper patterns is because big pattern is scamming us

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Printing and assembling a PDF pattern is a project unto itself.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I really like putting together PDF patterns. I've got one of those cheapie LED tracing pads from Amazon and use Elmer's Glue, and it goes pretty fast. Rotary cutter makes quick work of the cutting out phase too.

Plus this way I don't feel bad cutting up the pattern for alterations.

Though I guess it might take just about as long as tracing from the pattern tissue, all told.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Back in July I found a Pendleton blanket at the thrift store for $7. It had some little moth holes in it, was covered in hair, and smelled strongly of dog. My cat loved it.

I spent $35 getting it dry cleaned, picked out a pattern (McCall's 8013), bought lining/thread/interfacing/etc, and went off to sewing class. The plan was to keep the original blanket binding at the bottom and sleeve hems, as well as avoiding the worst of the moth damage. Any little moth holes I backed with a bit of interfacing and zigzag stitched over.

I did most of the work at sewing class (two hours every Monday evening where the instructor helped me through the hardest bits) but I had to sew in the lining at the hem by hand, which I did while sewing class was on break in December. The cat helped.

Finally after 6 months it was done! The buttons are antique hand-carved bone from an Etsy seller who claims they date back to the Civil War. I added the original blanket tag down by the hem as a final touch.

This thing is SO heavy and so warm. I'm really pleased with how it came out, but I'm also really pleased to be done with it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's so cool! Great use of vintage materials. Real escaping the ravages of the war in style vibe.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Printing and assembling a PDF pattern is a project unto itself.

I printed the pattern for a vest at Staples and used so much loving tape getting the whole thing together.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Back in July I found a Pendleton blanket at the thrift store for $7. It had some little moth holes in it, was covered in hair, and smelled strongly of dog. My cat loved it.

I spent $35 getting it dry cleaned, picked out a pattern (McCall's 8013), bought lining/thread/interfacing/etc, and went off to sewing class. The plan was to keep the original blanket binding at the bottom and sleeve hems, as well as avoiding the worst of the moth damage. Any little moth holes I backed with a bit of interfacing and zigzag stitched over.

I did most of the work at sewing class (two hours every Monday evening where the instructor helped me through the hardest bits) but I had to sew in the lining at the hem by hand, which I did while sewing class was on break in December. The cat helped.

Finally after 6 months it was done! The buttons are antique hand-carved bone from an Etsy seller who claims they date back to the Civil War. I added the original blanket tag down by the hem as a final touch.

This thing is SO heavy and so warm. I'm really pleased with how it came out, but I'm also really pleased to be done with it.

Fantastic! The end result looks like it was well worth it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I posted the front twice, here's the back.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
That is genuinely so loving cool and makes me want to get into sewing jackets

Important questions, has the cat tried sleeping on it yet?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yes, but I don't have a picture.

Edit: jackets are really the only garment I'm interested in making currently, because anything else I won't wear nearly as much.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man been awhile! My kid is a) super skinny and b) in a play set in the 70s, so I of course having not sewn in a few years and then only Halloween costumes mostly decided that of course I should buy some dollar patterns from the actual 70s and make him a dress shirt and jeans because who wouldn’t? Have I ever made a dress shirt or jeans? Hell no but when has that ever stopped me?

So one: patterns from the 70s are so nice! Lots of instructions and a nice glossary of terms on the front of each set of instructions and lines on where to lengthen etc. unfortunately they assume a lot of knowledge about stuff like buttonholes which lol.

I got kids size 10 patterns for my 14 year old because that’s his waist size (25) thinking I could just lengthen the legs and sleeves bing bong so simple! The sleeves actually worked but turns out the crotch needed a bit more room. I think I managed that then fought with the zipper for awhile and went back to the dress shirt. Things were moving along fine until I got to the cuff button bit (which googling tells me are called plackets). However all the tutorials are for these fancy-rear end plackets you basically have to do origami on to work and I’ve already slashed the sleeve where they go so it’s a bit too late for that, but these instructions and pictures are driving me to drink. I am so close to done. Someone translate this into plain English because I am at a loss (maybe they screwed up the right side/wrong side colors?)

https://ibb.co/Bwf0FQz
https://ibb.co/PrrZCKD
https://ibb.co/mGHWndY

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Oracle posted:

Man been awhile! My kid is a) super skinny and b) in a play set in the 70s, so I of course having not sewn in a few years and then only Halloween costumes mostly decided that of course I should buy some dollar patterns from the actual 70s and make him a dress shirt and jeans because who wouldn’t? Have I ever made a dress shirt or jeans? Hell no but when has that ever stopped me?

So one: patterns from the 70s are so nice! Lots of instructions and a nice glossary of terms on the front of each set of instructions and lines on where to lengthen etc. unfortunately they assume a lot of knowledge about stuff like buttonholes which lol.

I got kids size 10 patterns for my 14 year old because that’s his waist size (25) thinking I could just lengthen the legs and sleeves bing bong so simple! The sleeves actually worked but turns out the crotch needed a bit more room. I think I managed that then fought with the zipper for awhile and went back to the dress shirt. Things were moving along fine until I got to the cuff button bit (which googling tells me are called plackets). However all the tutorials are for these fancy-rear end plackets you basically have to do origami on to work and I’ve already slashed the sleeve where they go so it’s a bit too late for that, but these instructions and pictures are driving me to drink. I am so close to done. Someone translate this into plain English because I am at a loss (maybe they screwed up the right side/wrong side colors?)

https://ibb.co/Bwf0FQz
https://ibb.co/PrrZCKD
https://ibb.co/mGHWndY

Looks like you're doing a continuous lap sleeve placket? Here's a few good tutorials for that:

Fabrics-store.com tutorial

Sewaholic tutorial

PDF from U. Kentucky (covers ALL placket types; quite helpful to see how they all work so you can choose the one you like best)

And you can turn that slash opening into a tower placket on the fly no problem; I did that to my last flannel shirt when it turned out that the fabric was too thick to look nice. Do a trial with muslin and the origami will start to make sense. I actually prefer tower plackets now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I just wanted to say -- whoever suggested basting with glue stick, it has changed my life, especially for knits.

Also just laughing at both the old Readers Digest sewing book I've been reading, and that U Kentucky placket guide, who are all "boys shirts/jackets go left over right, and girls shirts/jackets go right over left". The Readers Digest book even suggested adding two sets of buttons so a jacket could be worn by girls or boys.

... do people actually still do this? Like, actually actually?