Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I’ve tired one hour war games pike and shot rules and they’re fine. I’ve heard great things about Victory Without Quarter which I’m eager to try, and of course there is DBA-RRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beerdeer posted:

What are my options for Pike and Shot gaming? Besides Pike and Shotte I mean.
You could also try Sharp Practice with the "Sharply Buffed" expansion from the 2017 Lardies summer special or the more generic pike and shot expansion from the 2022 Lard Annual.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Pikeman's Lament is a fun, playable set of skirmish level (i.e., 50 models per side or less) rules that covers the era. They're based on Lion Rampant.
I really need to get around to reading that. It's been sitting here for months.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

An excellent game if you can find someone interested in it. They're about to release a new edition (2nd) soon, so maybe wait until that drops.

Oh cool. I've got some older Essex 15mm Poles painted, and that's an incredibly rich period for wargaming. I never got fully into Fire and Sword since I was broke when the Kickstarter was live, might bite this time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I should highlight that VWQ is free btw

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm looking to go tiny as my partner has a love for tiny things and adores my 6mm tanks. I'm aware I could play flames of war in centimeters or something, but what're my options for 6mm games that aren't too nightmarish in terms of rules weight and make use of the scale?

While I have a few 6mm tanks, I'll accept ancient/medieval/etc (and that's probably preferable) recommendations; I don't mind starting an era for this. I'm not personally massively interested in napoleonics, but other than that.

I realise this is vague; I'm mostly trying to look in directions here!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Just catching up on the thread now, so apologies for how late this was, but a while back someone was asking about Carolingian troops, so I figured I'd post the plates from the osprey book I have about Charlemagne's troops:

sorry the photos are so poo poo, but I'm a poo poo photographer. Hopefully this'll be helpful at least as regards colour choice and troop type.

This rules, thanks for posting it!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

I'm looking to go tiny as my partner has a love for tiny things and adores my 6mm tanks. I'm aware I could play flames of war in centimeters or something, but what're my options for 6mm games that aren't too nightmarish in terms of rules weight and make use of the scale?

While I have a few 6mm tanks, I'll accept ancient/medieval/etc (and that's probably preferable) recommendations; I don't mind starting an era for this. I'm not personally massively interested in napoleonics, but other than that.

If you want to stay in WWII you could try Iron Cross. The author also has a cold war variant that based on the system with some modernizations called Seven Days to the River Rhine. People say Fistful of TOWs is fast play, to which I'd say ehhhh but there's free trial rules on his website to give it a shot. If you're willing to branch into anything pre gunpowder than almost any of them can be played at 6mm. I've even seen a guy convert Saga into that scale successfully.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Little Wars TV ran to-scale 6mm Battle of Isandlwana using the skirmish rules for The Men Who Would Be Kings so yes, it scale does seem to be very adaptable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAh-Xz7oyqA

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

Pssst! I'll let you into a secret - basically every game can be played with 6mm. Sometimes it requires a minimum of elbow grease, sometimes it's just straight up using tiny people on the bases instead of slightly less tiny people.

That said, I personally think Ancients looks great in 6mm. You can get proper maniples, big rows of hoplites and rows of elephants marching around! It's super neat and cute. I think a safe bet would be starting out with something like Hail Caesar. Otherwise I'd pick a period with lots of flags, as it'll help avoid units turning into indistinguishable blobs. So medieval, early renaissance, samurai armies and so on. And just cram in as many flags as you can.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Finally got some photographs of my basically-finished 10mm ECW Royalist army. Rather than under a spotlight on my bench, I posed them on my table:

It does require another 2 bases of cavalry and shot to give the correct base-count and those are on order - but I'm quite pleased.

My table is looking OK too, although I'm a bit annoyed the hills have come out more flourescent than verdant:

I've got more roads and junctions, and another three buildings and a bridge - but I think that's probably sufficient for most game systems I could wish to play?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, I have wrapped up my first Lasalle battle, you might be surprised to see that it's the 4th Battle of Sadivir.

quote:

The French division under GdD Baguette looms from the mist on the heights over Sadivir, drums beating out pace of elite ligne infantry. A field battery crowns the north hill, and two battalions of lancers protect the flanks.

Major General Blyat musters the defense of Sadivir much like his predecessors - though he can muster two regiments of Guards Cavalry and a heavy battery of guns, his conscript infantry is undertrained and green. All is quiet while the French approach.

Russian heavy cavalry surges forward on the western flank, while a general advance is sounded for the infantry. On the eastern flank, the French lancers are able to push into the Russian battery and drive it from the field.

The Russian heavy cavalry squadrons continue to take casualties but are able to wrap up the western flank of the French, taking their baggage, and the battle line pivots NW-SE. In the centre the battle of the infantry continues indecisively, though the the French Lancers, menace the perimeter.

As light fades, the French manage to crush one of the Russian conscript battalions but are unable to take the town, and the fourth battle of Sadivir comes to a close.

I made some mistakes in this battle, but as they were applied equally I don't think it affected the balance too much:
- I allowed units to receive the same order in a turn i.e. moving or shooting multiple times. It seems that's going to be annoying to track, with icons required for each possible order to keep track of who has done what already.
- I forgot that the resolve for each unit varies, everyone ended up with a 4+.

I enjoyed the interruption mechanic, though as a solo player it did require a fair amount of mental gymnastics to remember what was going on. It made my choices quite meaningful - do I want to change formation to square to protect against this cavalry, knowing that by doing so I'm opening the same unit up to volley fire from the adjacent infantry in line?

I can't quite place how I feel about the damage mechanisms, they seem weirdly all or nothing: A unit of line infantry uses 6 dice to fire, half of which (4+) hit and then half of those (4+ average) cause a disruption, i.e. 1.5 disruption per turn. Most units have a strength of 5-7, so 4-5 turns of blasting away will do them in, but there is also a 50% chance (ish) of cancelling that disruption with a rally order, so it's more like 6-8 turns of constant volley fire to break a unit. Compare that to melee combat, where a single attack roll which beats your opponent by 3 will instantly break and destroy the defending unit, no questions asked.

I felt that the momentum system was nice and the use of baggage + general + # of brigades + skirmish advantage was a great way to determine your MO/PIPS rather than rolling D6 as per DBN/OHW C&C. I think that determining skirmish advantage was a bit of a pain and only ever resulted in one MO difference. That may be because I only have two infantry brigades on the table so there was never a crushing advantage in dice either way.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm clearing out some of my unfinished projects, so if you're in the US and are interested click here to go to my SA Mart thread. Offering 28mm Ancients, Napoleonics, WW2, Colonials, and some rulebooks and Silver Bayonet stuff.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

2mm vs 3mm:

I tried to speedpaint the Austrian 3mm this time - they were trimmed and stuck to the base, then undercoated grey, drybrushed white and then coloured with contrast paint. It hasn't turned out quite as neat as my previous effort, but done in about a quarter of the time and largely indistinguishable from anything but close scrutiny - so that was a success. I also used it to try out the 2mm basing of 1" wide bases, which I think works better than the larger 2x1" bases on the left.

In that time I also painted up a block of Bavarians, shown rear-left in the same method as the majority of my of my 3mm models. My goal here was to see how easily distinguishable the units would be while gaming - the answer is "not very much". I will probably repaint the 1" based Austrians with redcoats just to see if it's a problem with white/white and white/blue distinction but I'm not holding out hope.

As it stands, 2mm feels adjacent to playing with coloured wooden blocks, but bizarrely it feels more authentic - soldiers are at such a small scale your eyes just skate over the lack of detail. By comparison, the 3mm figures are large enough that you expect there to be detail and definition, but the size means that even when painted (the front-left battalion has separately coloured hands, faces, muskets, bayonets, packs) it can't be ascertained and they fall into an unhappy valley.

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 10, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like the 3mm more, but I appreciate that each base of the 2mm dudes is equivalent to one base of the 3mm dudes right in front.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I played the same scenario for I hope the last time, this time using De Bellis Napoleonicus rules. To save the image spam here's the album link: https://imgur.com/a/k8vuBp8

In this game I used the army specific rules: French got an extra command pip each turn, and the Russians fired as one class lower than they were to represent their (relative) performance. The Russian grand battery was singularly ineffective, managing to do only one hit on the French line, despite blasting away all game. The combat factors for artillery vs built-up areas meant the French guns were basically out of action all game.

I don't know the relative powers of the various forces at play in DBN off the top of my head, but it was bizarre to see Heavy Cavalry lose to light infantry repeatedly (+3/+3) or a pursuing successful cavalry be immediately flanked by an enemy unit it has come alongside.

The turn system and combat mechanics generally make sense, but the venerable base the combat systems in DBx is something I find quite hard to parse as easily as other systems. I guess it just needs practice.

I think there is much more grist for the mill in the system than I'm able to surface from it yet, but I think I preferred Lasalle which despite a similar level of abstraction felt a bit less like trying to solve a rubiks cube.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If DBA is anything like DBN in terms of unit balance then it's all about using units to force a break in support and then rolling up the line. I can see how balancing cannon in that is going to be difficult at best.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kind of like the rule in ADLG that light infantry caught in the open by anything other than light infantry immediately dies

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the most popular Napoleonic/Historical tabletop games where you individually field the figures for a battalion (Way too many figures but you need to start somewhere) to platoon level? Basically the game where you actually have a figure for the private/corperal/sarge/lt/captain/battalion commander and use single guns?

Sharp Practice? Though I get the impression that's fighting like it's a Sharpe Movie where 12 men stand in for the entire Imperial Guard Corps at Waterloo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

What's the most popular Napoleonic/Historical tabletop games where you individually field the figures for a battalion (Way too many figures but you need to start somewhere) to platoon level? Basically the game where you actually have a figure for the private/corperal/sarge/lt/captain/battalion commander and use single guns?

Sharp Practice? Though I get the impression that's fighting like it's a Sharpe Movie where 12 men stand in for the entire Imperial Guard Corps at Waterloo.

Probably sharp practice. It’s not like 12 men being the entire guard corps, more like it’s being able to represent anything from 1:1 to maaaaybe 16-32 men representing a company if you stretch your imaginarion a bit.

Drums and shako is similar but afaik it’s even smaller scale, more like actually a dozen men running into another dozen men and skirmishing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sharp Practice will work, but you have to re-think how you do battles. Instead of doing Shiloh, or the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh, you're playing a raid two nights before Shiloh at Mickey's.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Since pike and shotte wargaming was mentioned recently, Warlord just announced that Pike and Shotte will be their next ”epic scale” (so roughly 12-13 mm) range.

https://warlord-community.warlordga...Battles+Game%21

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Kinda wish the front rank of the shotte was aiming, at least there's some variety in the pike positioning.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been thinking about pre-gunpowder warfare as a bit of a palate cleanser between another ECW army and yet more Napoleonic games. At the same time I bought Lasalle and DBN, I also picked up DBA and ADLG, and I still am going to use OHW as my basis for an initial set of forces - it looks like there's a nice trajectory of complexity and unit count in those three game systems.

I think I'm starting to find 2mm is growing on me . It pales in comparison to the enjoyment I get out of painting and pushing around 10mm but you cannot deny how god damned convenient it is, as per Arquinsel's comment. How much of a stupid idea is this? http://www.tinytintroops.co.uk/Res/2mm/2mm_DBA_15mm.htm

I guess other than shorter painting time it's a good deal less of an investment in time or money than 10mm: I have estimated I could put together a Byzantine army in any permutation, and enough units to field probably two of any of the Burgundians, Lombards, Visigoths, and Ostrogoths - for about £27 plus bases.

I’d hazard a guess that translates fairly equally to most other historical matchups I’d be interested in:

- Greek city states vs each other/Macedonians/Persians
- French/English in the HYW and War of the Roses
- usual fare of romans and carthaginians (I’m reading The Fall of Carthage, forgive me this)

I’m just not wholly sold one way or another on expanding 2mm as a practical expedient vs 10mm painting and modelling frenzy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My comment was fluffed too, because I meant "2mm base == 3mm block" :pseudo:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

My comment was fluffed too, because I meant "2mm base == 3mm block" :pseudo:

I understood you. I hadn’t made that connection and helped sway me further when I was able to make that direct comparison.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Since pike and shotte wargaming was mentioned recently, Warlord just announced that Pike and Shotte will be their next ”epic scale” (so roughly 12-13 mm) range.

https://warlord-community.warlordga...Battles+Game%21

The way the figures are arranged looks weirdly off to me for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe the basing?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The pike blocks are bigger than the shotte blocks for obvious reasons, but neither block looks particularly deep compared to the width of the formation.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arquinsiel posted:

The pike blocks are bigger than the shotte blocks for obvious reasons, but neither block looks particularly deep compared to the width of the formation.

I think you’ve nailed it there. Really wide formations that are only one or two figures deep at that scale looks weird.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Especially given how massive pike and shot formations tended to be

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I think you’ve nailed it there. Really wide formations that are only one or two figures deep at that scale looks weird.

Yeah from just a glance I'd say I'd like the pike formations to be at least twice as deep.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, last pic of my 2mm dollies before I get off my bandwagon. I think once they're painted up and lined up they're quite smart, really:

The camp at the back of the french army even has a little Tricolour.

I think I will probably base my commanders and officers on round bases to distinguish them better, and I think the bases could do with a little more contour and texture in general, but I'll hold off on any changes until I've played a few more games with them.

Though obviously I cannot tell Lancers vs Hussars, or infantry in Shakos vs Helmets (in fact when I tried painting helmets it just muddied up being able to 'read' the blocks at all) - some judicious use of different block sizes and arrangements can help. You'll notice that a pair of the Russian bases have a line of skirmishers in front of them - maybe these are light companies? Under strength battalions? For the purposes of a particular game it can vary since it's all about distinguishing colour and shape. For example, I'm sure I could use the wider infantry blocks painted blue for representing the French Guard, or narrower infantry blocks painted Green for Russians.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Soundtrack for this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtJBdR3cHWA&t=81s

Making progress on militia for my Black Hawk Down game.

It's hard to find African models, so a lot of my Somalis look more Arabic than I'd like, but oh well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm doing a silly thing for BattleTech and I'm looking for opinions:

What are the coolest most sci-fi looking post-WWI field guns?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

:jeb:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Please tell me they're not braking and that just how the running gear always is

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cthulu Carl posted:

Please tell me they're not braking and that just how the running gear always is

Odds are that's what it looks like accelerating

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Long Toma

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arquinsiel posted:

How do you feel about muzzle brakes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry