Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Anyone said Traingate yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
train gay so what

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, that's gotta be the hardest thread in cspam to mod & the mod was open to a convo about it; the convo was interesting even tho the resulting decision isn't one I would've made, weirdo free-speecher that I am.

(not about that thread but just my brainworms:)

I also have a higher bar for slinging the word "nazi" than apparently a lot of folx do.

*pictures oprah pointing at audience* YOU'RE A NAZI. AND YOU'RE A NAZI. AND YOU'RE A NAZI.

It's weird seeing people dehumanize their enemies on the basis that their enemies dehumanize them but that's the way we roll these days. See also: "they want us all dead" vs. "they deserve to die bc they voted for trump, and besides they want us all dead" ad infinitum.

I think it's useful for illustrating how the Epstein stuff, the actual contents of Hillarys Emails, Hunters Laptop, God knows what else, can be effortlessly shuffled out of the way by the liberal media refusing to report on it, and then shock and horror at the fringe or politically opposed outlets that do.

I mean, even "liberal media" seems like a slur, but what else would you call CBC, MSNBC, HuffPo and whatever else more culturally liberal people trust?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, that's gotta be the hardest thread in cspam to mod & the mod was open to a convo about it; the convo was interesting even tho the resulting decision isn't one I would've made, weirdo free-speecher that I am.

(not about that thread but just my brainworms:)

I also have a higher bar for slinging the word "nazi" than apparently a lot of folx do.

*pictures oprah pointing at audience* YOU'RE A NAZI. AND YOU'RE A NAZI. AND YOU'RE A NAZI.

It's weird seeing people dehumanize their enemies on the basis that their enemies dehumanize them but that's the way we roll these days. See also: "they want us all dead" vs. "they deserve to die bc they voted for trump, and besides they want us all dead" ad infinitum.

i find that most lefty westerners (particularly americans) still have, on some unconscious level, blue team/red team brain, reflexively jump in to defend the democrats from any disparaging republican attacks (warranted or not) despite the fact that they know joe biden is a piece of poo poo, despite the fact that they know and proclaim both parties are identical reprehensible evil loving entities; decades of trained obedience to The Good Guys™ is hard to shake off yet they still have some kernel of thought rattling around in their heads: "the democrats are to be defended (from republicans)" like some sort of pavlovian conditioning.

of course, since it's the age of diminishing returns vis a vis narrative and rhetoric, everything has to be the maximalist position now

It also worth mentioning "if the gop manages to make legitimate criticism of the democrats and using it for ulterior motives (who loving cares), it still doesn't make it any less true" is a train of thought they have difficulty grasping

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's useful for illustrating how the Epstein stuff, the actual contents of Hillarys Emails, Hunters Laptop, God knows what else, can be effortlessly shuffled out of the way by the liberal media refusing to report on it, and then shock and horror at the fringe or politically opposed outlets that do.

I mean, even "liberal media" seems like a slur, but what else would you call CBC, MSNBC, HuffPo and whatever else more culturally liberal people trust?

oh yah, that's the scariest to me: that actual, proven-true news can be disappeared by chalking it up to rwnj's, as is done all the time in dnd.

there are ways in which the nypost is a more legit news source than the nytimes, bc while both have their spin & takes on things the nytimes is the outlet pretending to be serious, thoughtful & objective.

like, you won't see the nypost masquerading its transphobia; it'll come right out & use pejorative adjectives, while the nytimes will dance around "both sides" of jk rowling's take while making subtle excuses for it. eta: and which is more harmful to the discourse? One could make the case that it's the nytimes.

and of the 2 outlets the nypost does a better job of reporting events than obscuring them imo.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Feb 18, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol I just went to the nypost.com & the top story is about the troll boob-teacher in ontario.

eta: I thought I'd read that the teacher is a rw troll but if not someone correct me & I'll edit. :sweatdrop:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Magazines posting their Ls

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

in other nypost news, another cuzzy caroline dropped:

The now 53-year-old tried to pull a page from Leonardo DiCaprio’s script, as he fired off a string of messages to Caroline Biden in January 2019 musing on a list of potential Gen Z love interests — including ingenues such as Bella Thorne, 25, Bella Hadid, 26, and the 24-year-old Peltz, who is now married to soccer scion Brooklyn Beckham.

“Set me up with Nicola,” Hunter pleaded in a Jan. 28 text, adding that the then-24-year-old “Transformers” actress would help him “get over Hallie.”

The exchange with Caroline, which was found on the first son’s laptop, also included a discussion of Yasmina Jones, a 31-year-old British actress, and famed children’s author Roald Dahl’s 57-year-old daughter Lucy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It drives me a little nuts that nobody's even going to look into this stuff now. What the gently caress is going on with the Bidens?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

where else will you find hard-hitting journalism like this, I ask you?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I love how they're conflating fender bender style derailments in train yards with full on high speed crashes

Also how the gently caress does Russia have that much freight going on

some guy named joey steelman built a lot of rails in the soviet union and they kept it even despite the shock therapy and neoliberalism after the ussr's fall

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
People really thought dems were going to do student loan forgiveness??? Lmao dumber than Maga chuds

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1626699764598296578

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

hey azathoth welcome back to the land of the living, I hope you come back to the succ thread :cheers:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

yellowcar posted:

i find that most lefty westerners (particularly americans) still have, on some unconscious level, blue team/red team brain, reflexively jump in to defend the democrats from any disparaging republican attacks (warranted or not) despite the fact that they know joe biden is a piece of poo poo, despite the fact that they know and proclaim both parties are identical reprehensible evil loving entities; decades of trained obedience to The Good Guys™ is hard to shake off yet they still have some kernel of thought rattling around in their heads: "the democrats are to be defended (from republicans)" like some sort of pavlovian conditioning.

of course, since it's the age of diminishing returns vis a vis narrative and rhetoric, everything has to be the maximalist position now

It also worth mentioning "if the gop manages to make legitimate criticism of the democrats and using it for ulterior motives (who loving cares), it still doesn't make it any less true" is a train of thought they have difficulty grasping

it was only possible for me because I had already gone through the difficult process of exiting the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

To be fair, the only people still posting on Twitter are Neo-Nazis since Elon Musk granted a public amnesty for most of them when he took over.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.tiktok.com/@brittanysher/video/7200900807825575214?_t=8ZxxDEkYVOE&_r=1

I saw this today. Its wild the Democrat Party fan base thinks people should believe what some government report says over their lying eyes. Though I don't know why the government bothered to advise people to boil their water its a chemical containment, heaby metals, who loving knows what, not like boiling it is going to get rid of it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

KomradeX posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@brittanysher/video/7200900807825575214?_t=8ZxxDEkYVOE&_r=1

I saw this today. Its wild the Democrat Party fan base thinks people should believe what some government report says over their lying eyes. Though I don't know why the government bothered to advise people to boil their water its a chemical containment, heaby metals, who loving knows what, not like boiling it is going to get rid of it

nice try but tiktok is a chinese psyop, do better

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

inappropriate, but not inaccurate

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

also how being concerned about the accident = you're a nazi, as with the nyt:

This would be an excellent piece for media analysis, from the attempt to dismiss concerns by painting residents as know-nothing chuds to finding a homophobic quote about mayo pete & a chud trying to link the rail accident to vaccines.

But what really caught my eye was that first bolded bit, about "sowing distrust in government agencies," because that's more of the same b.s. that tries to justify squelching speech on the basis of undermining faith in our fine institutions like finance & government--the very institutions that had (and like have) working groups & cabals with private industry to shape & censor public discourse.

This is a great example of how sociopolitical discourse is framed to favor those in power, especially by assuming bad faith on the part of government's critics.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KomradeX posted:

Though I don't know why the government bothered to advise people to boil their water its a chemical containment, heaby metals, who loving knows what, not like boiling it is going to get rid of it

Maybe they meant to tell people to boil it in a distiller.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raccooon posted:

Anyone said Traingate yet?

Ohioquiddick

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

contaminated water-gate

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

To be fair, the only people still posting on Twitter are Neo-Nazis since Elon Musk granted a public amnesty for most of them when he took over.

they were always there and they were always overlooked even before musk. @jack himself being a white supremacist

though i suppose you can make the case for "uptick in pro-nazi posting" since you can attribute that to ukraine flag liberals going mask off more and more lol

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

yellowcar posted:

they were always there and they were always overlooked even before musk. @jack himself being a white supremacist

though i suppose you can make the case for "uptick in pro-nazi posting" since you can attribute that to ukraine flag liberals going mask off more and more lol

They were always there (since Dorsey is techno-fascist weirdo), but Musk specifically unbanned a number of prominent Neo-Nazis under command of his bosses (IMC, Catturd2, etc.) since he's an overt Neo-Nazi as opposed to trying to do plausible deniability like Dorsey did/does.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
"It is worth noting that, unlike delta-8 and -9 THC-O products, DEA previously classified delta-8 THC products as not controlled substances as long as they're extracted from the natural plant, not synthesized."

Fun fact: this is the opposite position than what they had years ago. The DEA changed their rules to allow extraction from the plant because the patent on Marinol was set to expire in two weeks and the synthetic production method they were using before was expensive as gently caress.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KomradeX posted:

unexpected schmorky

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

They were always there (since Dorsey is techno-fascist weirdo), but Musk specifically unbanned a number of prominent Neo-Nazis under command of his bosses (IMC, Catturd2, etc.) since he's an overt Neo-Nazi as opposed to trying to do plausible deniability like Dorsey did/does.

absolutely but willa's point is that there's a line between "calling a nazi, a nazi" and "calling people who disagree with you (the liberal narrative/democrats) nazis" which is starting to be more and more prominent re: the ohio death cloud

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

yellowcar posted:

absolutely but willa's point is that there's a line between "calling a nazi, a nazi" and "calling people who disagree with you (the liberal narrative/democrats) nazis" which is starting to be more and more prominent re: the ohio death cloud

calling a Nazi a Nazi is also Russian disinformation though

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

People really thought dems were going to do student loan forgiveness??? Lmao dumber than Maga chuds

Loling at remembering the arguments that Biden doing only 50k of forgiveness was better than forgiving everything

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
1400=2000

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the problem with total cost accounting like that is that those costs would be accrued if they were sitting on the ground too

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

calling a Nazi a Nazi is also Russian disinformation though

truly the dichotomy of the inner workings of the lib brain

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem with total cost accounting like that is that those costs would be accrued if they were sitting on the ground too

Aircraft maintenance is a bit different. There are costs accrued regardless AND prescribed maintenance costs accrued over use.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

yellowcar posted:

truly the dichotomy of the inner workings of the lib brain

The domestic right are fascists, but foreign fascists? they’re good

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oh poo poo, original business idea do not steal: facilitate getting your trump loving aunt a foreign citizenship so that you can talk to her again. she’s no longer basically an nazi, and is now just Complicated, Needing to Be Put in Context, and most importantly, a strategic partner

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

afroman is running for president to restore my faith in bourgeois electoralism

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1626713010667503619

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamwren/status/1626721867653345282