Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Matt Gaetz officially off the hook for sex trafficking

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCNN/status/1625942905004167172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Caught some of a Gutfield! monologue today. He talked a lot about Hunter Biden's penis.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dr Christmas posted:

Caught some of a Gutfield! monologue today. He talked a lot about Hunter Biden's penis.

With envy, reverence, or contempt?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Panfilo posted:

With envy, reverence, or contempt?

It was one of those rants where they try to mention every bad thing related, but still very penis-focused. He said he had it memorized, as a student in a life drawing class might.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1625541549508509711?s=20

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I went to high school with the guy in yellow on the right in the front row. . He's a navy pilot and super cool.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Not sure if this counts as rwm, but it's adjacent, at least.

Had an ad pop up.on youtube that showed Jason Momoa cutting his hair, and the narration was about how he was "making a statement" by cutting off "his well-known flowing locks" to make the "false statement that aluminum bottles were better for the environment than plastic." It then started saying how plastic water bottles were made from "thin multi use material", and that "aluminum bottles were so worse because they have a higher carbon footprint of production".

Yeah, let's ignore the whole microplastics, and that aluminum will just oxidize and is so easy to recycle things.

It was put out by the "bottled water matters" group. Concerned individual citizens all, I'm sure.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In terms of the whole “manufacturing applications to environmental ruin” ratio aluminum seems pretty kickass.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, aluminum is the easiest thing to recycle in energy terms. And people tend to do it more than with plastic. Especially since you can get cash for aluminum, but not plastic.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, aluminum is the easiest thing to recycle in energy terms. And people tend to do it more than with plastic. Especially since you can get cash for aluminum, but not plastic.

Laughs in Michigan.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Not sure if this counts as rwm, but it's adjacent, at least.

Had an ad pop up.on youtube that showed Jason Momoa cutting his hair, and the narration was about how he was "making a statement" by cutting off "his well-known flowing locks" to make the "false statement that aluminum bottles were better for the environment than plastic." It then started saying how plastic water bottles were made from "thin multi use material", and that "aluminum bottles were so worse because they have a higher carbon footprint of production".

Yeah, let's ignore the whole microplastics, and that aluminum will just oxidize and is so easy to recycle things.

It was put out by the "bottled water matters" group. Concerned individual citizens all, I'm sure.

One of the secret worst things the oil industry did was propagandize how recyclable plastic was and hide how not it actually is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LionYeti posted:

One of the secret worst things the oil industry did was propagandize how recyclable plastic was and hide how not it actually is.

I'm not exactly sure why. When I worked at a place that made injection molded plastic parts they'd recycle the sprues and leftover bits to mix with virgin plastic pellets and use that to make parts. So at least some of it can be melted down and reused. And being a petroleum product I'm sure it could be processed into some kind of fuel that isn't a sooty toxic mess like burning it directly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Biggest issue is colour. Only takes a small amount of dark coloured plastic to "contaminate" light coloured ones. If all plastic was grey in colour, life would be better.

Also there's different grades/hardness/etc, but that can be dealt with more easily.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And different polymers, which can be a big deal if you're working with something like a medical device where the plastic has to meet very specific criteria.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

unknown posted:

Biggest issue is colour. Only takes a small amount of dark coloured plastic to "contaminate" light coloured ones. If all plastic was grey in colour, life would be better.

Also there's different grades/hardness/etc, but that can be dealt with more easily.

But if my Mtn Dew bottle isn't radioactive piss green, how will I know it's Mtn Dew?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Decon posted:

But if my Mtn Dew bottle isn't radioactive piss green, how will I know it's Mtn Dew?

The way our forefathers did, by watching it turn your friend into a woman through mere exposure.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

unknown posted:

Oh sure. I'm not expecting it to be 100% reusable. But look at paper pulp- you can reuse some of it for other applications that don't need it to be lily white or super strong. Better than it filling up a landfill or simply consuming more of it. It's just a shame it's sort of a dead end in terms of recycling. Sure the logical approach is "use less of it" but in the meantime it feels like missed potential.

Dirk the Average posted:

And different polymers, which can be a big deal if you're working with something like a medical device where the plastic has to meet very specific criteria.
Certainly not expecting a mountain dew bottle getting converted into a pacemaker, but maybe other bottles. Mixed colors? Have companies market it as a special product. Mystery Flavor Dum Dums, for example are just a mixture of two flavors when the extruding machine is purging out an old flavor to switch to a new one-it's better than throwing the candy away simply for being "mixed up".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of sustainability, seen this guy linked in a few places. It's a bit of a puzzler, because the guy says he's worked in the mining industry. So why would a guy, who spent four decades, be concern trolling about all the MINING you gotta do in order to produce "green energy" products? Shouldn't he consider this a GOOD thing for his field? :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/JohnLeePettim13/status/1622810848824631296?t=MCqUK3VBA1p0HsSGAUZWqA&s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://news.yahoo.com/tucker-carlson-told-producer-trump-231515596.html

Tucker Carlson told his producer Trump is 'the undisputed world champion' of destroying things and could ruin Fox News if it didn't back his election lies

Tucker Carlson called Trump the "undisputed world champion" of destroying things, per a new court filing.

Carlson texted his producer after the 2020 election that Trump could "easily destroy" Fox News if "we play it wrong."

Carlson's text came after Fox News ignited Trump's fury by being the first to call Arizona for Biden.

Two days after Election Day 2020, Fox News host Tucker Carlson texted his producer warning that Fox New's decision to call the state of Arizona for Joe Biden on election night could spell doom for the network.

That's according to a newly released court filing Thursday. The document, a 200-page motion for summary judgment in Dominion Voting Systems' defamation lawsuit against Fox News, featured multiple deposition excerpts and texts from top Fox News figures including Carlson, Sean Hannity, Rupert Murdoch, and others.

Fox was the first cable news network to project Biden's victory in Arizona, prompting a slew of angry phone calls and texts from people in Trump's camp.

"We worked really hard to build what we have," Carlson texted his producer, Alex Pfeiffer, on November 5, 2020, according to the filing. "Those fuckers are destroying our credibility. It enrages me."

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of sustainability, seen this guy linked in a few places. It's a bit of a puzzler, because the guy says he's worked in the mining industry. So why would a guy, who spent four decades, be concern trolling about all the MINING you gotta do in order to produce "green energy" products? Shouldn't he consider this a GOOD thing for his field? :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/JohnLeePettim13/status/1622810848824631296?t=MCqUK3VBA1p0HsSGAUZWqA&s=19

https://twitter.com/flexibledragnet/status/1623215904640102401?s=46&t=tEdKGdVIknVguL0Khz63lA

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wow that was quick, thank you for the update!

Is the information about mining processes also inaccurate? There's a lot of posts about mining equipment and the industry as a whole.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Wow that was quick, thank you for the update!

Is the information about mining processes also inaccurate? There's a lot of posts about mining equipment and the industry as a whole.

https://twitter.com/visaskn/status/1616813002547773444?s=46&t=fEKccBLimWndyFUu36u1iw

Here’s someone who goes into actual detail of why the info is just misinformation.

Notably, I know nothing about mining so I just have to take any info at face value. But it’s clear Pettimore is fake and spreading misinformation, likely on behalf of fossil fuels or similar.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The basic stuff like the heavy equipment pictures and copper coming from low grade ore is right, it's not secret or anything. The guy focusing on scary dust from explosions (as opposed to like using fossil fuel energy to crush rocks) is probably misleading though.

The overall claim that renewables are bad for the environment because of mining is nonsense if you think about for two seconds, since fossil fuels also require mining. We mine three times as much coal as metals.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1626382493480878080?t=P5yyFpYjycVD0EXRk_oQXQ&s=19

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Panfilo posted:

Ten years on and this is all I can think of when I see that picture: https://youtu.be/aO0TUI9r-So

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
During the second world war the US basically used up all of of the ready-available copper deposits and since then we've had to work harder and harder to get copper. There's this whole mountain in Minnesota or somewhere where they leveled it for copper and now are coming back to pulverize the debris (which of course is still there) to get the last bits of copper.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I’d like to congratulate this thread’s patron saint Rush Limbaugh on two full years of sobriety! I knew you could do it, big guy!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RWM, radio talk show hosts and their guests suddenly being gravely concerned about wasteful wasteful military spending over a single $400,000 missile is pretty loving incredible, even by the standards of their hypocrisy. gently caress, if Biden or Obama wanted to cut the MIC's budget by four thousand dollars they'd be talking about liberal commies gutting the military.
This is probably the first time in my entire life I've ever heard Republicans getting upset about military spending/waste.

And weren't they the ones screaming about why it took Biden so long to shoot it down just a week ago? Jesus Christ, these people, man.

FMguru posted:

I’d like to congratulate this thread’s patron saint Rush Limbaugh on two full years of sobriety! I knew you could do it, big guy!

mega dittos

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

FMguru posted:

what is thread title limit?

Right Wing Media: congratulations Rush Limbaugh on two full years of sobriety!

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

RWM, radio talk show hosts and their guests suddenly being gravely concerned about wasteful wasteful military spending over a single $400,000 missile is pretty loving incredible, even by the standards of their hypocrisy. gently caress, if Biden or Obama wanted to cut the MIC's budget by four thousand dollars they'd be talking about liberal commies gutting the military.
This is probably the first time in my entire life I've ever heard Republicans getting upset about military spending/waste.

And weren't they the ones screaming about why it took Biden so long to shoot it down just a week ago? Jesus Christ, these people, man.

mega dittos
Some quick math tells me the DoD budget is a little over $400k per eighteen seconds.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Who is this guy, his profile pic looks like a celebrity.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

This is a good click.

Tucker and Hannity deciding to gently caress over America because they might lose ratings to newsmax.

Also, Rupert Murdoch saying Trump should concede.

I hope Fox gets crushed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Murgos posted:

This is a good click.

Tucker and Hannity deciding to gently caress over America because they might lose ratings to newsmax.

Also, Rupert Murdoch saying Trump should concede.

I hope Fox gets crushed.
I think they're in serious trouble in this case, because a lot of the evidence released shows that they knew that what they were doing was wrong but they were pushing election nonsense to satisfy their audience. I know the bar is high in these kinds of cases, but I see a good chance they lose to Dominion.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think they're in serious trouble in this case, because a lot of the evidence released shows that they knew that what they were doing was wrong but they were pushing election nonsense to satisfy their audience. I know the bar is high in these kinds of cases, but I see a good chance they lose to Dominion.

I'll believe it six months after I see it, and even then I'll only give it a 50/50. Fox isn't Alex Jones, they won't do stupid poo poo like blatantly violate trial procedures then outright lie about it in writing or insult the judge personally and repeatedly. They have lawyers, pay them well, and listen to them. Everyone involved will get the rich people justice system, and Fox will purchase the outcome they want. The only possible counterbalance to this is that Dominion also has money and can pay lawyers, but I don't see that being enough. Consequences don't happen to the wealthy. At absolute best I think Fox will pay some slap on the wrist fine that is a meaningless line item in their budget and they'll scream bloody loving murder about deep state liberal antifa plots out to get them AND YOU THE VIEWERS! on national TV for years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I certainly don't expect them to pay a huge fine, but they're almost certainly going to have to pay something

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, there is a pretty clear evidence of, “when we tell the truth our ratings are poo poo and our viewers send us nasty emails and so let’s not tell the truth. In fact fire the people telling the truth.”

So it seems like there is a good chance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

With this kind of case you need to prove that they knowingly committed defamation, and I think that's pretty clear here just based on what has been released so far

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Surprised I missed this one. Seems Kirk Cameron was trying to counter Drag Queen Story Hour with Christian Actor Story Hour, but none of the libraries were interested.
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/kirk-cameron-denied-story-hour-slot-public-libraries-faith-kids-book.amp?s=09

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Panfilo posted:

Surprised I missed this one. Seems Kirk Cameron was trying to counter Drag Queen Story Hour with Christian Actor Story Hour, but none of the libraries were interested.
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/kirk-cameron-denied-story-hour-slot-public-libraries-faith-kids-book.amp?s=09

...Wouldn't that just be Sunday School?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Panfilo posted:

Nice acronym, LOL.