Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I half remember one of the recent announcements saying there's going to be a way to imbue guns with derpsight* in future, so if you can't get enough red borders to unlock the pattern before lightfall, just make sure you grab a few copies and stick them in the vault in the hope you'll be able to deepsight them at some point in the future.

* Pseudoedit: not correcting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Went 0-2 in trials and gave up. I honestly have no idea how anyone can have fun in this dogshit gamemode. Even when I win rounds it isn't fun.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

arsenicCatnip posted:

Went 0-2 in trials and gave up. I honestly have no idea how anyone can have fun in this dogshit gamemode. Even when I win rounds it isn't fun.

I actually enjoy Freelance trials, I just wish it wasn't so lopsided in so many matches. At least half my games are curbstomps, which while being boring/annoying are at least over quickly; but the games where it goes 3-4 or 4-4 can be pretty enjoyable.

It's also asinine that I went nuts on it last week, reset the trials rank almost twice, unlocked all the armor and gear on warlock/hunter and never once got the sidearm- the only gun I wanted to try- to drop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I half remember one of the recent announcements saying there's going to be a way to imbue guns with derpsight* in future, so if you can't get enough red borders to unlock the pattern before lightfall, just make sure you grab a few copies and stick them in the vault in the hope you'll be able to deepsight them at some point in the future.

* Pseudoedit: not correcting it.

This is from the crafting future preview article:

quote:

This feature allows you to electively apply Deepsight to a weapon that has a pattern available to unlock.

Only weapons that have not previously rolled with Deepsight are valid for Deepsight activation.

Deepsight can’t be activated on the same weapon instance multiple times.

The ability to manually activate Deepsight will be tightly controlled, and there will be some variation in cost depending on the weapon (e.g. a raid weapon will require additional currencies compared to a seasonal weapon).

We’re targeting a Season 21 release for this feature.

It doesn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised, if this only applies to guns that drop after crafting 2.0 is released.

So it's probably going to be something with a difficult grind and/or time throttle like ascendant alloy.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

should I come back for lightfall or is the game still just "do these 3 activities 78 times a day chasing a weapon with 3 varieties of random in 1.8 billion total configurations for an additional .57% DPS to cover for the fact that you're actually just garbage and no godroll will ever make you good at pvp"

also is it still stuffed to the gills with eververse bullshit including the long awaited transmog system

for clarity the last time I played was season of the splicer and I never got to do any of the seasonal stuff before I burned out trying to raise my light level enough to do the seasonal stuff because I hadn't played since season of dawn

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 18, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

arsenicCatnip posted:

There are two ways to approach Trials: either you're there for a Flawless, or you're there to grind rep. If you're just there to grind rep, the progress bar will still move forward after a loss, even if not as much, and you just grind your face against that table saw until the sawblade finally breaks.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GruntyThrst posted:

should I come back for lightfall or is the game still just "do these 3 activities 78 times a day chasing a weapon with 3 varieties of random in 1.8 billion total configurations for an additional .57% DPS to cover for the fact that you're actually just garbage and no godroll will ever make you good at pvp"

also is it still stuffed to the gills with eververse bullshit including the long awaited transmog system

for clarity the last time I played was season of the splicer and I never got to do any of the seasonal stuff before I burned out trying to raise my light level enough to do the seasonal stuff because I hadn't played since season of dawn

I mean, you can still optimize all you want, but they've done a pretty good job splitting the very hard optimizing content from the stuff they expect everyone to play. Crafting largely got rid of the godroll problem, as you only need to acquire 2 or 5 of the guns to unlock the crafting recipe, and then level it up to get the best possible roll. Almost all meta guns are craftable right now.

Monetization is still very in your face. Transmog has paid stuff but I have everything I want without having spent a dime. The bounties to unlock transmog stuff are easy to do and 10-a-season is like... a lot. 2-3 seasons of doing them basically unlocks everything you'll ever want, and they only add like 2-3 armor sets a season anyway so you get ahead of the curve extremely fast.

The Light Grind is largely going away. It looks to be about 200 point increase for LF but that's it. No increases in the seasons after the expansion. They're adding more light level caps to more activities, so the light grind just doesn't make much sense anymore.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm trying to spice up my solar titan. Moving away from HOIL as the Default Pick and Lorley Splendor as the Other Pick, what are some fun exotics to build around? Note: I've got pretty much everything but Synthoceps :smith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GruntyThrst posted:

Everyone should be starting Lightfall at the same power level; completing the campaign on legendary difficulty will get you all the way up to the soft cap.

You generally don't need to spend that much time on strikes/crucible/gambit if you don't want to, although it's a good idea to spend some time on them on double rep weeks to do backlogged weekly challenges all at once and finish a rep track.

A lot of weapons are now craftable, so it's possible to eventually force that 1/1.8 billion combo.

You can do 10 transmog bounties per character per season without paying. They're mostly fairly easy, especially if you bother with raids/dungeons where just finishing 2 encounters or the final encounter are enough for some of the bounties.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

To add to that, I also haven't played in a few years, I liked strikes and crucible, but it felt like the only thing bungie wanted me to do was the seasonal menagerie knockoff. I got pretty bored of the menagerie as soon as it wasn't the actual menagerie, is that still the main focus of each expansion? Here's a new activity do it ad nauseam for 3 months?

Are strikes and crucible worth playing at all for loot? What do you mean rep track?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Red Crown posted:

I'm trying to spice up my solar titan. Moving away from HOIL as the Default Pick and Lorley Splendor as the Other Pick, what are some fun exotics to build around? Note: I've got pretty much everything but Synthoceps :smith:

Severance enclosure

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

To add to that, I also haven't played in a few years, I liked strikes and crucible, but it felt like the only thing bungie wanted me to do was the seasonal menagerie knockoff. I got pretty bored of the menagerie as soon as it wasn't the actual menagerie, is that still the main focus of each expansion? Here's a new activity do it ad nauseam for 3 months?

Are strikes and crucible worth playing at all for loot? What do you mean rep track?

if you're bored of the core gameplay loop, that has not changed, and you won't find what you're looking for

if you liked the gunshoots and loot loots but want the same with slightly less rough edges, that's where we're at, and where we're headed

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

I just came back from Splicer too I think.
Simply do what I do: Ignore chasing the god rolls, focus on getting enough gear to do goofy poo poo in crucible with your friends.
Slot roulette always leads to a fun round.

Gotta make your own fun, because the game will never not be "do these 3 activities 78 times a day chasing a weapon with 3 varieties of random in 1.8 billion total configurations for an additional .57% DPS...", and that's endgame bullshit for the weirdos who enjoy Number Go Up.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

In all my years of Destiny and Destiny 2, I have NEVER hit the light cap, and I don't intend to begin with Lightfall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And next season is gonna totally change what you know about destiny. Enemies are going to hit 10% harder and have 10% more health.

Fortunately, by engaging with the new Build System, you can dedicate some resources to making your guardian do 10% more damage and have 10% more health

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s mostly still that but it’s less that. If you just do it once a week (or 3 times, 1 per character) you generally get enough progress to upgrade the doodad which in turns lets you focus and gets you closer to crafting the seasonal guns which you can then use on strikes and crucible.

Rep track is the rank rewards from each activity. Bungie tends to add a good rolled weapon (and its ornaments) to the track as an incentive of playing those activities. Also 2 of the current year’s seasonal activities and being added to Strikes so you’ll get to play them anyways.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 18, 2023

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

victrix posted:

if you're bored of the core gameplay loop, that has not changed, and you won't find what you're looking for

if you liked the gunshoots and loot loots but want the same with slightly less rough edges, that's where we're at, and where we're headed

I liked the "old" core gameplay loop of run strikes, fight people, do raid. Burned out on the "new" loop of do these three vex encounters repeatedly forever( and nothing else provides much loot)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s mostly still that but it’s less that. If you just do it once a week (or 3 times, 1 per character) you generally get enough progress to upgrade the doodad which in turns lets you focus and gets you closer to crafting the seasonal guns which you can then use on strikes and crucible.

Rep track is the rank rewards from each activity. Bungie tends to add a good rolled weapon (and its ornaments) to the track as an incentive of playing those activities. Also 2 of the current year’s seasonal activities and being added to Strikes so you’ll get to play them anyways.

Hmm, once a week doesn't sound too bad, they were usually ok enough for a couple plays. Curious about the added to strikes playlist part, good to see their not creating content with a 3 month dumpster timer anymore.

Saw some champion talk a few pages back, those are getting more manageable I take it? Less use x gun for y champions this season?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Severance enclosure

Yes it's this. My default built since the solar rework is this with a crafted mini-tool with improved incadescent and threat detector, it's a lot of fun running around eradicating whole rooms

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saw some champion talk a few pages back, those are getting more manageable I take it? Less use x gun for y champions this season?

There's going to be so many ways of dealing with them you wont really need to worry about specific guns

Kith posted:

i have good news for you: arc, solar, stasis, and strand will be able to deal with unstoppables just because

theres a very good chance you'll never need an unstoppable weapon mod again

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The ability effects should make Champs totally trivialized in Playlist Seasonal Activity & Legend content. I think you'll still need or at least want to spec in to a weapon-based stun for Master/GM content. (This is all Good)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
champs are still an awkward part of the game that will always feel out of place lol.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Cool, thanks guys!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Second question: I have SO MUCH lore to catch up on. Is Ishtar still the place to go for that? I wanna read all the little lore greebles not just watch a summary from Byf or something

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is there lore on what makes makes a champion a champion? How did the Hive and Cabal work out Barrier technology and why can't they give it to all their dudes?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Champions could have been an interesting idea, but was a product of the general haphazard development of shadowkeep. Hive Guardians have fulfilled much of the same rolls that champions should have, and are much less used for some reason. Like it wouldn't be that hard to say that now savvy is gone, some of the hive Guardians have turned to xivu for leadership.

Champions also could have been like unique enemies in Diablo likes. Be generally upgraded, and have interesting abilities that require a change in approach. But alas.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

As much as I bitch about champions, I think they do sort of achieve a fairly "effective" roll of forcing people to think about their loadouts, and causing players to maybe try different weapons then usual with seasonal shifting mod counters. (But they also create the opposite problem of making loadouts feel overly restrictive at times, or preventing you from using favorites or new toys.)

My least favorite thing was how often I'd be okay running 2 champion counters, only for the activity I was going to do to have the "wrong" champion type. (IE: I had a loadout that I liked for Overload/AB, but the activity was AB/Unstop)

Hive Guardians really do not accomplish that, as much as they should be used more.

Junkenstein posted:

Is there lore on what makes makes a champion a champion? How did the Hive and Cabal work out Barrier technology and why can't they give it to all their dudes?
I'm pretty sure its whatever lore there is on enemies having energy shields (solar/arc/void) in that I'm pretty sure it's just a game construct.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxyclean posted:

(But they also create the opposite problem of making loadouts feel overly restrictive at times, or preventing you from using favorites or new toys.)

I feel like this never bothers me until I specifically want to level a weapon or something like that :argh:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There was an unstoppable hand cannon mod this season??

Does Witherhoard know about this?!

Yeah I'm dying at people using unstop HC and complaining when unstop GL is right there!

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
Arc Punch for Unstoppables, Osteo Striga for Overloads, pulse rifle of choice for Barriers

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

If I'm gonna skip a champ mod it's almost always gonna be unstop. It's not because I have the delusional idea that I will down a champion without stunning it (I know that I would die of old age first), it's because unstoppable champions can be kited back towards my fireteam where we can deal with it properly. Barriers and overloads seem to understand when they get wedged in a stupid corner and can outheal the damage of one guardian. They thrive in those spots like black mold.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

3DBlast posted:

Arc Punch for Unstoppables, Osteo Striga for Overloads, pulse rifle of choice for Barriers

( me after seeing two primaries in any content whatsoever) Well well well if it isnt the Blowjob Loadout

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Important news!!

https://twitter.com/audioblondio/status/1626708849859391488?s=46&t=JT4HFN34-FJK1US7PapyZA

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Everyone else has talked about the other activities, but I'll add that the Witch Queen expansion's campaign was the best in Destiny 2 by far, and included a legendary mode that made it actually challenging. Crafting, while only available for certain weapons, greatly eases off the need to grind for god rolls.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The jump up between normal and master dungeons is wild. After getting ground into a fine paste in master I come back and with only a few retries solo flawless normal spire of the watcher.

I wonder how artifice armor will act in Lightfall?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TopHatGenius posted:

I wonder how artifice armor will act in Lightfall?

The bonus slot is for an extra +3 to the stat of your choice.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Paracelsus posted:

The bonus slot is for an extra +3 to the stat of your choice.

Ooo very nice!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

Hive Guardians have fulfilled much of the same rolls that champions should have, and are much less used for some reason.

primarily because there's no reasonable justification for giving hive units to cabal, fallen, vex, or (specifically light-bearing) taken

though it's my distinct hope that with the new location being full of Not Lightbearers and the witness's upgrading of Calus's army, we start getting Lightbearer-equivalent enemies for all factions and champions get replaced by those

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I guess I don't really see what's so great about the hive guardians.

They are the same as champs- either it is low difficulty and you blast through them, or it is high difficulty and they one shot you. Like, their 'supers' and other abilities are carried by the presentation- you go 'oh wow its our abilities'! But they don't actually do anything unique. A hive hunter throwing flaming knives is functionally the same as like, any enemy shooting any attack that does an aoe. A hive knight throwing a suppressor- well there are other enemy abilities that gently caress with your movement/abilities/sight (people hate those) but the danger is dependent on difficulty, just like any other grenade or ability.

The only truly unique thing about them is the ghosts, so you have to get into melee range to finish them. That's it.

And the only thing about champs is that they can heal themselves, and have a built in stagger mechanic, which bungie tied to specific mods/weapons. If they couldn't heal, so you never got into a 'no win' scenario, but were still difficult, there'd be no problem. If the new ability stun system had been from the start instead of the restrictive mods, again no problem.

A powerful enemy you can stagger by doing the right thing is fine design- its that the 'right thing' was poorly designed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lightbearer hive have more going for them than "i am a normal enemy except now i'm a rampaging wad of hitpoints and damage" or "i am a normal enemy except i'm invulnerable sometimes" or "i am a normal enemy except i jump around a lot and heal rapidly"

all of the lightbearer hive have unique grenades, attacks, AI patterns, and do not require any specific loadout to overcome. they also force you to react in a variety of ways instead of just one, and are overall more interactive because there's just more to them instead of "two categories of special dudes per race that largely act the same between races"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I think the main practical thing that differentiates them is their homing attacks (Acolytes especially, their blade barrage is brutal.) which forces you to constantly maneuverer around them and makes it very hard to fortify one spot. The bit in the legendary campaign before the Savathun fight where you 3v3 a set of them in a large open garden was brutal but also one of the most fun fights I've ever had in D2.