Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ravenfood posted:

How the gently caress do atgiers work? Currently trying the blackmetal one with the fenris set for maximum ability to play keepaway and I'm still getting wrecked compared to shield/frostner/fangspear. Got an attacking horde event and figured that was the place to try it with the AoE attack and nope.

I'm glad to see that since I last played they made them only slow you by 5% instead of 10.

The AoE spin isn't really for big chunky damage, it has insane stagger buildup so it breaks enemies easily so you can crit stab them or open distance while they're staggering if it's too risky. Against packs you basically just slowly grind them down with opportunistic aoe spin -> dodge back to recover/space -> aoe spin rather than trying to blender into them like a diablo barbarian using whirlwind.

It takes some time getting used to the range and the startup time for the spin - trying to do it while you're too close will get you completely poo poo on because of the startup and recovery time. Once you really get a handle on it it's really fun to trick shot charging deathsquitos out of the air with it before they can hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Adding to that: I use the iron one to fight Loxes and come out ahead. Dodge->2 stabs, rinse/repeat until you’re collecting a hide.

It also does well against trolls, at least for me so far.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the Bronze Atgeir absolutely murders trolls, the damage output is high enough that you can stunlock them. Same goes for Iron vs Lox and Berserkers.

Atgeirs also have excellent block stats, meaning you lose very little compared to running a shield, but move 5% faster

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh drat I missed that they have a better parry bonus than regular shields so didn't try parrying. It looks like they end up with a bit more parry armor than a regular shield. That I do like so I'll give it another shot.

Time to start my blackmetal/totem raiding parties I guess since I'm set up with my flax and barley farms.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

litany of gulps posted:

Base game Valheim is way, way less tedious than Grounded could ever hope to be.
This is completely backward. I enjoyed Grounded immensely. Valheim is such a slog I've basically given up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love Valheim to pieces but the game absolutely does have a huge grind attached to it. Skills take absolutely forever to level up(and dying crushes them into the dirt), upgrading weapons/armor to higher tiers requires a shitload of resources that frequently need to be shipped long distances via boat, farming and herding animals is incredibly tedious but extremely rewarding(not as apparent solo, but supplying 4-5 people becomes an irritating level of logistics).

Yeah you can get through a significant chunk of the game by slapping on some troll armor and making a single iron weapon to carry you until you're farming silver and living off the bare minimum of food quality, but that sort of presupposes you know what you're doing and you're already very comfortable with the combat and what the game is going to throw at you in each area. The difference in raw power between a player who did all the grinding and has good weapon skill and upgraded weapons/armor/good food vs a player running the bare minimum is enormous.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I spent ages thinking I wasn't really being penalized for dying because it would say the gods are merciful afterwards.

Until I bothered looking I figured that meant that I didn't lose experience the first time I died not that I wouldn't if I died again.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Yeah you can get through a significant chunk of the game by slapping on some troll armor and making a single iron weapon to carry you until you're farming silver and living off the bare minimum of food quality, but that sort of presupposes you know what you're doing and you're already very comfortable with the combat and what the game is going to throw at you in each area. The difference in raw power between a player who did all the grinding and has good weapon skill and upgraded weapons/armor/good food vs a player running the bare minimum is enormous.

This is a probably a derail that belongs in the Grounded thread, but isn't this entire concept like the premise of half of the Grounded thread? With the other half being complaining about half of the game being reskins of the first half of the game. Going from killing tier 1 bugs to tier 2 bugs is a massive jump in difficulty that seems insurmountable to many players because there isn't really the skill or upgrade system in place. Like yeah, you could upgrade your tier 1 weapons, but there's a limited amount of resources around and you'd be a fool to waste them on that. But you don't know that as a truly new player. The grind is self inflicted in both games and unnecessary in both games. If you know how to block and don't care about building, Grounded won't be tedious. If you know how to block and don't care about maxing out every piece of equipment you make, Valheim won't be tedious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kanos posted:

I love Valheim to pieces but the game absolutely does have a huge grind attached to it. Skills take absolutely forever to level up(and dying crushes them into the dirt), upgrading weapons/armor to higher tiers requires a shitload of resources that frequently need to be shipped long distances via boat, farming and herding animals is incredibly tedious but extremely rewarding(not as apparent solo, but supplying 4-5 people becomes an irritating level of logistics).

It’s because, quite simply, Valheim isn’t meant to be played solo. You can if you’re the type with a super high grind tolerance! It can be done! But Valheim functions exponentially better as a cooperative game with division of labor between your little viking clan.

Which is gonna lead to some pretty disparate experiences between the friendhavers and not.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s because, quite simply, Valheim isn’t meant to be played solo. You can if you’re the type with a super high grind tolerance! It can be done! But Valheim functions exponentially better as a cooperative game with division of labor between your little viking clan.

Which is gonna lead to some pretty disparate experiences between the friendhavers and not.

I play Valheim both solo and with a group, and several aspects of the logistics become exponentially worse as you add more players because of the vastly increased material demands. Until mass farming mods came into being, trying to run a farm that can supply an indefinitely sustainable level of food for 4-6 people was a repetitive stress injury waiting to happen, and even with one click mass harvest you're still planting/harvesting a couple of football fields of crops at least every so often. Certain materials which are easily available in the amounts required to equip one person, such as Fenris armor materials, suddenly become nightmarish if you're looking to equip 3 people in them because you need to scout out five times as much space.

Some parts definitely become easier, like gathering wood(because wood requirements don't really scale directly linearly per active player), but a lot of the gains from having multiple hands to mine/ship ore kind of fade into the background a bit when you consider how much more of the metal you need to mine in the first place if you've got extra hands to equip.

Again, I love the game and have played it a shitload, but it's absolutely very grindy.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

pik_d posted:

New dev blog showing off a new monster, hats with hair, and teasing the upcoming new NPC

https://valheim.com/news/development-blog-hold-on-to-your-hats/
Ngl, I am excited about hair being visible with helmets

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Haven't touched this game since launch. Are there any must have mods now? Especially compatible with the VR mod?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Det_no posted:

Haven't touched this game since launch. Are there any must have mods now? Especially compatible with the VR mod?

My VR essentials:

AnyPortal - no need for fps-killing portal hubs; the XPortal rewrite of it doesn't work in VR
Auto Store - drop items on the ground to auto-deposit into chests; no need for hotkeys
Seed Totem - mass planting and harvesting without having to use hotkeys

Plus the usual stuff like ValheimPlus.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
While talking about mods, has anyone tried this shipyard mod? I know the ValheimRaft mod was talked about before but that seems more involved than I want.

Honestly I'm mostly looking for something to add visual variety to my harbors, both on the dock yard and in the ships themselves.

On a related note, if I do use it this would be my first mod that isn't valheim+, plant everything, or farm grid (ie, the first mod that adds new build pieces). What would happen to the world/item if I build a mod-made item and then uninstall the mod? Poofs out of existence? Can't load the map?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 16, 2023

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Ravenfood posted:

On a related note, if I do use it this would be my first mod that isn't valheim+, plant everything, or farm grid (ie, the first mod that adds new build pieces). What would happen to the world/item if I build a mod-made item and then uninstall the mod? Poofs out of existence? Can't load the map?

While I hardly have definitive experience in this, I believe your former supposition is correct.

Ravenfood posted:

Poofs out of existence

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
This game should let me soulbind skeletons to iron shackles, who can then be put on ships to row and increase speed.

Make it so devs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The one thing that would make Valheim so much better for me would be more automation.

Let me build houses and have AI vikings show up in them, terraria style, then let me use them to farm onions or whatever.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The next content patch is adding another named NPC to the game so there's definitely a chance for AI characters in the future, especially given how positive the community has been about the dverger npcs

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

The one thing that would make Valheim so much better for me would be more automation.

Let me build houses and have AI vikings show up in them, terraria style, then let me use them to farm onions or whatever.

Yeah, or even something like buildable "workers".

I know there is a mod that adds a modified Ward that auto-plants and auto-harvests in the area, adding an animation where it wanders around making digging motions would be cool.

Or a worker on the spinning wheel, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Big same, you could use the comfort system but perhaps with specific themed components to create living arrangements that improve their work speed, basically encourage you to build actual villages with people in them.

Would also help with the grind if they could generate resources for you.

I guess essentially I want the game to be 3rd person viking rimworld. Because it really could be most of the way there already, all you need is basically the ability to spawn an NPC and have it do some sort of appropriate idle animation, and generate resources based on the comfort rating of its assigned bed, possibly with qualifiers to encourage diversity of building styles and ornamentation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 18, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As long as it can get brutally murdered by passing monsters like the dwervr NPCs do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can code but I’ve never made a mod. I mostly work on backend server systems. How do people make mods for this game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rjmccall posted:

As long as it can get brutally murdered by passing monsters like the dwervr NPCs do.

I would probably model it as like, ghosts or something, you build the right house and a ghost viking shows up which explains why they can't die or participate in combat, but if their house gets destroyed they fade away or something.

You could go for a full implementation of NPCs participating in combat but that might be beyond the devs ability. Might be nice though, give you a reason to design defences for them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm content with Valheim remaining a kinda lonely and isolated experience instead of being Viking Townbuilding Simulator, but I would definitely like some kind of available automation for very tedious and repetitive tasks like loading kilns/smelters, planting/harvesting crops, etc.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You could go for a full implementation of NPCs participating in combat but that might be beyond the devs ability. Might be nice though, give you a reason to design defences for them.

The dwervr do participate in combat, so you might be able to take advantage of existing code. I have personally looted a dwervr who got murked by a passing brood lord.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm content with Valheim remaining a kinda lonely and isolated experience instead of being Viking Townbuilding Simulator, but I would definitely like some kind of available automation for very tedious and repetitive tasks like loading kilns/smelters, planting/harvesting crops, etc.

Yeah, i'd much rather some rudimentary "tech" buildables that allow for automation or bulk work. I don't really want weirdo NPCs. Villagers are probably my least favorite part of minecraft. (Though, I really don't like most redstone automation in Minecraft either)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would of burnt out on valheim's farming if not for mods that reduced the clicks and repetitiveness drastically.

Sure, I could just never plant more then half dozen carrots at a time and only ever use the excess while self-sustaining, but who enjoys doing that?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I haven’t felt a need for mass farming outside of the flax grind. I’m sure it’s rough if you’re farming for five, but as a solo player, I have essentially an infinite backstock of wolf meat, entrails, and honey, and that turns without any sweat into three meals that are totally adequate for most purposes (sausages, roast wolf, and wolf jerky). Bread if I specifically want stamina more than health. Vegetables just go into the higher-tier food that I use if I’m trying something adventurous.

I mean, if they ever implement gout I’ll have to seriously change things up, but…

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We just killed Moder and I'm basically on wolf kebab, onion soup, and ice scream. It's great because greydwarf eyes and frost drake glands literally come to you constantly, so does wolf meat, and onions are one of the only crops that forms a single-ingredient meal.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

A MIRACLE posted:

I can code but I’ve never made a mod. I mostly work on backend server systems. How do people make mods for this game?
Like most popular Unity games, Valheim has been ripped open — meaning you have access to most of the raw files. Basically you import the ripped project into Unity, make your changes/addition, and export your work as an asset package (I think). And then you have stuff like Jötunn to facilitate mod authoring.

If you want to delve into Valheim modding I suggest finding a recent guide on YouTube. The most finicky and time-consuming part is setting everything up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
However you theme it (ghosts, constructs, not-murderous greydwarves, allied people, dvergr), adding some automation to previous biome tasks would add a sense of progression even if it isn't actually a useful one. It isn't like I need a lot of carrots in the plains era, but it still would feel nice.

I feel like for farmable objects, the easiest solution is to take over the workshop add on effects. All farmables have the same two types of sustainable ratios (plains = 1 surplus per plant, carrots/onions/turnips = 2 surplus for every 3 plants+1 seed) so you could turn at least the latter into a "carrot garden bed" or something. Place a central object that acts as a node to interact with, and then each garden bed upgrades that station to whatever max you want. Then the node can either passively spawn items per garden bed or create them like hives, generating the surplus at whatever tickrate you want (imo, something like half the rate you would get from manual farming). So, carrot farming "workbench" upgraded by carrot beds.

The simpler option is just carrot beds that act like hives on their own but that doesn't add the little ghost/ally/greydwarf/construct/whatever which seems emotionally satisfying. (Or make them larger and add them to the big pool, but that means less flexibility with placement which can look nicer).

You could do something similar with a central hunting lodge item and mining items and beds, if you really wanted to keep the bed theming.

Idk, I don't know if I'd prefer an allied village (either people or dvergr) or something like ghosts/magic constructs but the latter do seem easier in terms of dealing with enemies. Idk, given the magic ballista and spinning wheel is doesn't seem like they want that route anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's the fact that some amount of earlier-biome stuff always winds up being necessary later on that bugs me, so the longer the game goes the more time you have to spend on maintenance grinding as well as progression grinding. And I don't mind grinding out the next tier of stuff, but there comes a point where you're only actually spending a relatively small proportion of your time working on the next tier as opposed to managing your farms, digging from more iron and copper and tin because you need some more workbench upgrades or cookware for your new base, farming for wood and stone, etc etc etc. Just turning over carrots, turnips, and onions enough for one person takes most of a day of in-game time.

I really wish you could just buy stuff from any tier you're not in.

And also that the ters actually made sense, because nobody's making weapons otu of silver. That's something that bugs the hell otu of me in most fantasy suvival games, tbf. Like, weapon progression goes stone>copper>bronze>iron>steel? nope, rarely steel, then it goes silver, gold, platinum, maybe some esoteric metals, maybe some crystals or made up metals? Maybe stick mithril in there somewhere? Just feels weird bonking someone over the head with a silver sword.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, the main thing I want to automate is the tiers well well past the point where you are.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

edit wrong thread

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Trivia posted:

This game should let me soulbind skeletons to iron shackles, who can then be put on ships to row and increase speed.

Make it so devs.

This is brilliant, and should be extended to all tasks. Skellys who farm, smelt ore, create coal and then fall to pieces when there's nothing left to do.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Mark off an area with special torches and summon mining skeletons who just dig straight down for 5 minutes.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I really wish that infested mines were of use once cleared. They would make amazing basements for storage and such.

Found a dverger archeology site next to a dverger tower (both with defending dverger), and a dverger squat building with an extensive infested basement. Bugs chew through marble WAY too fast by the by.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would be cool if laboriously constructing fortifications was actually worth anything compared to digging a giant trench and/or raising a big earth wall.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

It would be cool if laboriously constructing fortifications was actually worth anything compared to digging a giant trench and/or raising a big earth wall.

With ballistae being added, they seem more useable (towers and shooting positions). Also seekers fly so a trench is somewhat negated. I just find Events to be somewhat weak overall, specifically the ones that target a base. The 'You Are Being Hunted' event is probably the most dangerous.

Call me crazy but id actually like to see some of the bosses actually making an appearance before they are summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be good I think if buildings had armour, and if the more supported the building element was, the stronger the armour. So thick, low stone walls should be extremely tough and take little damage.