Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfqOQtiRWLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ryanrs posted:

It's not really about the cup holder, it's about designing and making the thing. I've wanted to do a plywood tab and slot project for a while, and there aren't many places to do carpentry on a car (morgans excepted). So the cup holder carpentry was a nice opportunity, but Putin hosed it all up.

Oh well. I will probably stick with the roll of duct tape for now.

I have more interesting van parts already in production, albeit slightly delayed:

oh for a second I thought that was a UPS shipping update :v:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Off road minivan: your parts are being bent

It works on many levels.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

honda whisperer posted:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

And the van is a lot less likely to catch on fire since I've replaced the leaking steering rack.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

honda whisperer posted:

It works on many levels.

LOL

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Vanity A/C Block Plate

The welded A/C refrigerant line kept leaking, even after attempted repair, so I'm replacing it with a custom block plate machined from billet. The mating connector has an o-ring that seals against the cavity ID.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Recovery Points Arrived

The fit is absolutely perfect. I will do the welding this weekend.

honda whisperer posted:

Off road minivan: Your parts are being bent

:mods:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Your parts have been bent.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Electro Plating Specialties, Inc.

560 ~$ curl -I http://www.eps-plating.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: openresty/1.19.9.1
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 02:47:25 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 48495
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Last-Modified: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:18:27 GMT
ETag: "bd6f-54b295cd8aec0"
X-Webcom-Cache-Status: BYPASS
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Should I use this local vendor for my metal plating needs, y/n?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dude how could you consider anyone else?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

slightly sus tbh

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I mean still in business with that website? Probably really good at it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Those kind of companies you want to work for inversely proportional to the quality of their webpage.
If they don't need to attract customers through their webpage, it means they are doing something right.

My old company had a webpage like that, then it got all fancy and new right before I was laid off.
Next company also had a garbage website and im still there 13 years later.

This method of analysis doesn't have any warranties about using them as a business though, it could just be a hobby and they don't care.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I bet it loads fast.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ryanrs posted:

Electro Plating Specialties, Inc.

560 ~$ curl -I http://www.eps-plating.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: openresty/1.19.9.1
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 02:47:25 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 48495
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Last-Modified: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:18:27 GMT
ETag: "bd6f-54b295cd8aec0"
X-Webcom-Cache-Status: BYPASS
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Should I use this local vendor for my metal plating needs, y/n?

Oh yeah, this is your place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ryanrs posted:

slightly sus tbh

I have complete confidence that their equipment postdates the Renaissance.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, vendor chosen! I will email them an RFQ once the welding is complete.

I want to plate the recovery points to ASTM B633 type VI (yellow zinc like on grade 8 bolts, etc). These parts will definitely get scraped up, and I want to minimize rusting. Zinc electroplating ought to be enough to keep it looking great in the SF Bay Area.

I did consider hot dip galvanizing, but I think I'd need to heat treat (stress relieve) the part before galvanizing or else it might crack along the 90 degree bend because of strain-age embrittlement.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

I have complete confidence that their equipment postdates the Renaissance.

This 100% nothing they use is newer then 1950.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

This 100% nothing they use is newer then 1950.

Google Street View confirms.

e:

blindjoe posted:

This method of analysis doesn't have any warranties about using them as a business though, it could just be a hobby and they don't care.

Ah, but check out the landscaping.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 18, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My rule of thumb is if "investor relations" and "news and insights" and other lofty c-level bullshit filler come before a place where I can look up their actual services or products in a useful manner, I'm going to look at other vendors first.

That website passes both the vibe and Firefox 1.5.22 beta release test (56k yes.)

Edit: holy poo poo, this website loads faster than any I've seen in the last ten years, except for mine. I don't worship at the church of geocities GIFs like they do.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 18, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

OK, vendor chosen! I will email them an RFQ once the welding is complete.

I want to plate the recovery points to ASTM B633 type VI (yellow zinc like on grade 8 bolts, etc). These parts will definitely get scraped up, and I want to minimize rusting. Zinc electroplating ought to be enough to keep it looking great in the SF Bay Area.

I did consider hot dip galvanizing, but I think I'd need to heat treat (stress relieve) the part before galvanizing or else it might crack along the 90 degree bend because of strain-age embrittlement.

I'd be interested to know if anyone does hot dip in California. It seems to be tightly regulated everywhere else.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Pacific Galvanizing is in Oakland. There are others in the central valley, and a lot in southern CA.

I think galvanizing kettles are probably like cement plants, in that you can't have an industrial metropolis without them. Especially not one with shipbuilding.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Welding the Recovery Points

Beveled edges for more penetration :quagmire:

I'll take them to the platers on Tuesday.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

New Bump Stops

Rear bump stops looking slightly worn!

Step 1, design an octagonal 62mm wrench. Getting this laser-cut was cheaper than the cheapest wrench on Amazon that could grab a 62mm nut. It's cut from 1/4" AR500, so it's very hard and strong, not mushy mild steel.

Square drive dimensions for Socket Tools. I used a 0.505 in square holes with 1mm corner radius, and the fit is great. With 1/4" material, the ball detent even works OK.

Done.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Installing the A/C Block Plate

Old vs. New.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
R for Ryan? Refrigerant? Team Rocket...?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Just 'Ryan'.

CNC A/C plate cost breakdown:
$130 base part
+65 add the 'R'
+25 anodize red
+40 expedite fee during Chinese Lunar New Year
+20 shipping
+20 tax
----------------
= $300

Goddamn, it better not leak.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ryanrs posted:

Just 'Ryan'.

$130 base part
+65 add the 'R'
+25 anodize red
+20 shipping
+20 tax
----------------
= $300

I assumed it was Rear, for the rear A/C.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, not to rub salt into the wound...

... and that's in Canadian Copecs, so likely cheaper in the land down south.

E: yes, says town and country, but I'm sure it either fits because these connections are standardized, or with enough sleuthing you can find the appropriate kit.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 21, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I already went down that path. None of the Sienna kits block the pipe up in the engine bay. They all block the pipe near the rear evaporator coil, because it has easier access and that's the part that generally breaks / starts leaking.

So the progression was:
1) Commercial Sienna A/C block kit. One plate was useful, the other didn't fit the connector in the engine bay.
2) Have a professional welder weld up the connector on the deleted tubing. Weld leaked slightly due to porosity.
3) Have professional welder repair his poo poo. Same problem.
4) Design my own plate and have it CNCed out of 6061 and anodized red.

Then add in costs of replacing the A/C drier and recharging the system after each step. I'm doing it for the 3rd time on Wednesday.

Designing my own CNC block plate was the nuclear option, but it wasn't entirely unjustified.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Knew about the welder but not the commercial kit unavailability.

That said, there's no kill like overkill and with how many times you've had the AC charged it's at least nice to just throw a big middle finger at it and be done with it (hopefully forever)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Floor Jack Maintenance

Floor jack had a sticky piston. Once you remove the handle stop and push the handle fully forward, you can just pull out the pistons. There is no retainer or snap ring. Then use brake cleaner to blast any crud off the pistons and o-rings, wipe down the springs and cylinder bore with a paper towel, oil the o-rings with your finger, and reassemble. The whole operation takes less than five minutes.

Lug Nuts and Wheel Studs

Several lug nuts were pretty stiff to turn. Not cross threaded, but some minor thread dings. I replaced all the lug nuts, which fixed most of the problems, but two studs needed further repair. I used a thread repair die to clean up the studs, but it took a fair amount of material off. The rethreaded studs are definitely a looser fit class than before. Don't use a repair die to clean up minor rust or dirt that can be removed with e.g. a metal brush.

Antenna

The old one was bent up from using it to break into the van when I locked my keys inside. I bent it into a hook and used it with a door wedge I whittled from firewood.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ryanrs posted:

Antenna

The old one was bent up from using it to break into the van when I locked my keys inside. I bent it into a hook and used it with a door wedge I whittled from firewood.

Wish I'd thought of this on prom night in 2004 when I locked my keys in my Sienna.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Just 'Ryan'.

$130 base part
+65 add the 'R'
+25 anodize red
+20 shipping
+20 tax
----------------
= $300

If it does PM me. I'll have to charge for red but black can be free if it goes with another shipment to anodize.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

If it does PM me. I'll have to charge for red but black can be free if it goes with another shipment to anodize.

Thanks, but this new block plate is hermetic AF. No leaks.

This week has me finishing up a bunch of misc maintenance items while I procrastinate on the two big ticket items I need to finish: the bear radar and a gas tank skid plate.

Here's the main skid plate before/after two weeks in the desert:

You can see the boundary where I added the second layer of 3/16" steel on the back side. But the single layer 3/16" steel still bends right around the seam, and that will probably be true no matter what reinforcements I weld on the back. Mild steel is just low yield strength mush, and not appropriate for this application.

I need to start making my skid plates out of AR400, A514, or some other high strength steel. Mild steel is not good enough.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Paint

Repaint the skid plates that were stripped clean at Ocotillo. Zinc paint where the plates overlap, and green self-etching primer on the rest.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCAJwq4yIM&t=87s
What are you preparing? You're always preparing!

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 25, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hopefully there will be no further "parts are being bent" steps in transit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That part is 5mm thick steel, which is generally sufficient to fend off the fedex man. I doubt Sendcutsend does their own plating, so they probably have to truck the parts to a metal plater, get it plated, ship it back for inspection, etc. So it takes a week+.

For the gas tank skid plate, I'm leaning towards 3/16" A514 / T-1 high strength steel plate. It can be bent and welded, and it's much stronger than mild steel, and I can source it in small quantities (i.e. not by the railroad car). The downside is that I think it's thicker than it needs to be, which adds cost and weight. But A514 is not available thinner than 3/16". Another possibility is 0.160" 4130 chromoly.

A514 is the structural steel used in all those truck frames that say "DO NOT WELD" on them.