Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I finished listening to the Synanon episodes, and they were a huge bummer but also really interesting. The last episode was pretty anticlimactic, but real life rarely wraps things up with a nice little bow. I did a little research and figured out how to contact the two people I had biggest issues with from the camp I attended (which does seem to have been influenced a bit by all of this poo poo, but was definitely a filtered version that pulled out most of the blatant abuse even if abuses absolutely still happened there and the broader company had at least a couple CEDU employees), but even before that last episode I didn't think there would be anything to gain from contacting them, and it only cemented that view, so I'm just going to go back to mostly not thinking about all this stuff again I guess. I do hope Brace got some kind of feeling of peace or closure from the experience of making the series as a whole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

I vaguely remember a thread in GBS many years ago about a private school somewhere that had a bunch of really weird rituals/arbitrary rules…it seemed kind of adjacent to this Synanon stuff. I recall a big part of it was that some students were labeled as “weak” and some were “powerful” or some poo poo, and the relative “strength” levels between a given pair of a students dominated how their interactions would take place.

Does anyone know what the hell I’m talking about? It’s been driving me nuts ever since I listed to the Synanon episodes.

Are you thinking about the "Third Wave" experiment?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Elan school maybe? They used a low/high strength system. Elan was notable for using not just the usual struggle session style verbal abuse, but also "the ring", where a student would be disciplined by forcing them to box a procession of other students until they got their rear end thoroughly kicked.

Edit: Joe vs Elan School is a comic by a survivor detailing his experiences.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2022

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Elan school maybe? They used a low/high strength system. Elan was notable for using not just the usual struggle session style verbal abuse, but also "the ring", where a student would be disciplined by forcing them to box a procession of other students until they got their rear end thoroughly kicked.

Edit: Joe vs Elan School is a comic by a survivor detailing his experiences.

Thanks! Yes that comic is exactly what I was thinking of.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I finished listening to the Synanon episodes, and they were a huge bummer but also really interesting. The last episode was pretty anticlimactic, but real life rarely wraps things up with a nice little bow. I did a little research and figured out how to contact the two people I had biggest issues with from the camp I attended (which does seem to have been influenced a bit by all of this poo poo, but was definitely a filtered version that pulled out most of the blatant abuse even if abuses absolutely still happened there and the broader company had at least a couple CEDU employees), but even before that last episode I didn't think there would be anything to gain from contacting them, and it only cemented that view, so I'm just going to go back to mostly not thinking about all this stuff again I guess. I do hope Brace got some kind of feeling of peace or closure from the experience of making the series as a whole though.
it was pretty hilarious that Brace and Liz even pretended to act like they would ever actually be able to ambush this guy. the notion that he would ever feel sorry for Brace was such a bizarre fantasy. they are so much better off that they didn’t actually get their “climatic” moment.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

it was pretty hilarious that Brace and Liz even pretended to act like they would ever actually be able to ambush this guy. the notion that he would ever feel sorry for Brace was such a bizarre fantasy. they are so much better off that they didn’t actually get their “climatic” moment.

Yeah it felt super naive, and it kind of turned into farcical bumbling, but at least he hopefully got the idea that there's anything to get out of interacting with that guy out of his system now I guess. The idea that Patrick was going to sit down and give them a tearful interview and spill his guts or something was completely ridiculous, and I doubt he even listened to the voicemail unless he was hoping to find a threat he could report to the police or something. I guess the best outcome would be if he finds out about Brace's wartime experience and feels a fraction of the fear he made all the kids at his school feel, but realistically he's probably already forgotten about it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Important Arthur Knight update:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/05/prisoner-fighting-extradition-bullied-by-cellmates-singing-leaving-on-a-jet-plane

quote:

An alleged fugitive fighting extradition to the US is seeking to be freed on bail from a Scottish jail because fellow prisoners are taunting him by singing John Denver’s hit Leaving on a Jet Plane.

Nicholas Rossi, 35, faces extradition to the US over charges of serious sexual assault in Utah, after he was arrested in an intensive care ward in Glasgow following his admission with Covid.

In an application for bail on Thursday, Rossi told Edinburgh sheriff court he was being bullied by other prisoners on the remand wing at Saughton jail in Edinburgh because they regularly sang the song at him.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I thought the latest episode would be good based on the description, but it's bad, and Sarah squirm sucks

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
wrong it’s good

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Sarah Squirm is an acquired taste, and I have acquired it. Dunno what else to say.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I don't find her particularly funny, but she was fine on the episode

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
was a fine episode for some poo poo i don't care about

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Gone Fashing posted:

I thought the latest episode would be good based on the description, but it's bad, and Sarah squirm sucks

Nah

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The episode name was cut off in my podcast app as "The Yassification of Kyle R..." so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't about the Rittenhouse rehabilitation sickos.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gone Fashing posted:

i love when they talk to quirky white women from booklyn

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it was a good ep. reality tv rocks

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
truly an ep for da ladies

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I might not actually go to tonight's show despite buying a ticket.

Montreal is being hit by a cold wave and my knee is hurting like a bitch since yesterday morning.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I got a ticket to the Austin show and I kinda bet they don’t make it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I got a ticket to the Austin show and I kinda bet they don’t make it.

why's that?

i looked at tickets and the first google result was seatgeek offering front row tickets for $80 lol

tickets are still available on the real site but the venue is too loving far

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i got four tickets to see Stav when he was in town then completely forgot the night of the show. i will NOT make the same mistake twice!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
At least the tickets were free

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BB2K posted:

At least the tickets were free
:mad: the tickets were NOT free. :mad:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i love when they talk to quirky white women from booklyn

She’s from Chicago ya dipshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I didn't go. :(

My knee is starting to get better too. Fml.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

i say swears online posted:

why's that?

i looked at tickets and the first google result was seatgeek offering front row tickets for $80 lol

tickets are still available on the real site but the venue is too loving far

They keep saying they might not make it because they’ll be coming off of two back-to-back show dates or something and will be flying in from Minneapolis that afternoon. I rolled the dice, hoping that the last show of an exhausting tour will be especially deranged if it happens at all.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

I didn't go. :(

My knee is starting to get better too. Fml.

Just admit you hit a weed vape and passed out in a jersey mikes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It's ok, it happens to everybody.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wish, instead I'm just getting old and busted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
do you guys think brace would sign a holster? i don’t think the venue will respect my carry license but this would be a good compromise

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
is that “lol yes” or “lol no”

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
even though I'm close friends with brace because I listen to his podcast, I have no idea. I just thought it was funny

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

get liz to sign your anime imo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

get liz to sign your anime imo
im already asking her to autograph a tube of Retin-A

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Braccè Boldano

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Brace made jokes about Virgil Texas’s disappearance and Andrew Tate’s arrest but didn’t have any laughs about the other Andrew

Diagnosis: Coward

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
He was diagnosed w pneumonia before our show. But he still gave it his all.

I gave Liz some homemade chocolate chip cookies, but didn’t realize that Brace is insanely lactose intolerant. So hopefully, she, Yung Chomsky, and the tour manager enjoy them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Boywhiz88 posted:

He was diagnosed w pneumonia before our show. But he still gave it his all.

I gave Liz some homemade chocolate chip cookies, but didn’t realize that Brace is insanely lactose intolerant. So hopefully, she, Yung Chomsky, and the tour manager enjoy them!
i bet you were the only other guy that laughed at the 14 Words joke