Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Tig and eagarly await his voice actor by being replaced to a non-predator so I can use him again

Might I suggest Sam Riegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
interesting suggestion; personally i'm a fan of 莫然

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
MiHoYo is just working hard to keep Dehya's character canonically consistent -

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sometimes it seriously feels like characters in this game are balanced based solely on who at mihoyo happens to glance at them last before they get pushed to live.

itd be nice if characters actually got direct buffs after release but the only time that's happened is zhongli and that was a big pushed archon when the game was new, i doubt they'll care that much ever again.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I like Tig and eagarly await his voice actor by being replaced to a non-predator so I can use him again

Might I suggest Sam Riegal?

I just hope they go with a different direction and rerecord all of his lines. Don't try to aim for the same voice, because that'll always be off.

Rerolling the dice to see if his new VA will be annoying kinda loses its sting because I already have him friendship 10.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also since 3.5 is Cyno/Shenhe I guess Eula will be next?

I have an unleveled Eula... Is she even good?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also when i complain about dehya im also doing it as someone who mostly says 'this game isnt hard'. like if i had diluc id use him over hu tao because ive used hu tao a lot already and i like diluc's design. his numbers are lower but he still does basically the same thing, you can make up the number difference with good artifacts/crowns. even physical dps qiqi, a thing ive actually done, is basically just a (much) worse eula. the character i hyper invest into is still doing something and feels okay, even if it's objectively inferior.

dehya is a case where the core design makes me wonder what shes even meant to do and why. if she were even just a shielder instead of her weird half-mechanic shed at least have the niche of being the only 5* pyro shielder meaning shed probably have the strongest pyro shield and shed be usable in hu tao teams and burgeon teams. the only reason i can think of to design her like this is that there's some future character or artifact that needs this specific mechanic to synergize with, which is a moronic way of making a game.

people will point to kokomi and clam, but kokomi was always decent, clam was just another option for her. this situation to closer to if they released hu tao without shielders, crimson witch, xinqiu, staff of homa, or stamina upgrades existing. like she seems like a character from an entirely separate dimension from the one we live in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

she's fine. she needs fairly specific teams (if you dont have raiden/dont want to use her as a support then theres a serious argument for running dori with her) and phys damage is somewhat under supported but she does big numbers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'll roll on Dehya because I think I have all the other 5* characters on the next two sets of banners, I have primos and I dont roll for constellations. I'll worry about how to use her later, and if she sucks she can join the lineup of characters I have but pretty much never use (Sorry Hu Tao, you have good numbers but I just dont like your play style). I'm not spending money, so I'm not worrying about it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

sometimes it seriously feels like characters in this game are balanced based solely on who at mihoyo happens to glance at them last before they get pushed to live

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

the only reason i can think of to design her like this is that there's some future character or artifact that needs this specific mechanic to synergize with, which is a moronic way of making a game.

Some of the leaks were saying that she's built with intention of synergizing with Fontaine.

Which, yeah, that would be a really loving stupid way to design.

Regardless, I think that if anyone might want her in the future, they should definitely pull now since lol relying on luck on the standard banner.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Eula's biggest issue outside of the fact that physical is a relatively weak damagetype (due to the insane level reactions can scale to) is that most of her damage is backloaded instead of frontloaded.

She uses her burst then has to charge up the "big hit" but most non-boss mobs die in one or two normal attacks and it's super easy for boss mechanics to cause a whiff when her "big hit" finally finished charging 10 hours later (7s? 8s? it's a long time).

Granted, her numbers are big and her attack animations are fun. They have to be because phys is weak.

Edit:
Only because she's a claymore who can take advantage of "blunt" damage - large slimes and abyss mages would laugh in her face if she was any other weapon class.
v

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

phys is relatively weak but on the flipside it means she isnt walled by certain types of slimes which is nice. shes relatively enemy agnostic.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Also since 3.5 is Cyno/Shenhe I guess Eula will be next?

She is and is not good.
She's fun to play, she has very good numbers, and she needs sort of specific kinds of supports but there's lots of choices for those. Like, she wants an electro, ideally one that can work off field. There's four of those, three of which are good and three of which are 4 stars. She wants a healer and ideally a shielder, to help her stay on the field for her burst. Those are a dime a dozen. A second cryo is good for resonance, plenty of good options there. And then Diona is a cryo healer / shielder.

But there's not a lot of stuff that buffs physical so it can be hard to pick out a 4th party member (I'm not using Xinyan there only because I like her), and a decent amount of stuff resists physical. And said stuff keeps showing up in Spiral Abyss. Which is pretty much the only content where a character being good matters much, so right now she's bad because of that.

:shrug:

Swing her sword around a bit and chain her skill in at the end. If you like that, you'll like Eula.

--edit
Also people complain about overworld fights ending before her burst pops, but that only happens because her normals are also really strong.

Annoying as hell when a boss runs away just in time though.

--second edit
I forgot Yae Miko exists and Lisa's burst sticks around.
There's six off field electros and four of them are good.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 18, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yae would be good even if she were mechanically weaker or not such a fun character in the fiction, because she's the platonic ideal of an off-fielder; when her skill is up, you can literally see it on screen regardless of whether she's on point or not, and if it's down then it's off cooldown and you can swap to her to put it back up. no keeping time in your head, no awkward gaps in rotation, no "Q to extend jellyfish" she Just Works

reading about her original design it sounds like she dodged a bullet in that respect

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Can't believe they didn't even make an artifact set just for Eula

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Can't believe they didn't even make an artifact set just for Eula

They did? Pale Flame is her set.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

phys is relatively weak but on the flipside it means she isnt walled by certain types of slimes which is nice. shes relatively enemy agnostic.

eula isn't enemy agnostic, there are several types of enemies that specifically have high phys resistance including ruin guardians
and then you have the other kind of anti-eula enemies which are "anything that can surprise teleport away before your sword drops"

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the hydro archon is probably gonna do something with HP since that seems to be the new hydro thing, so kinda hard to say whether dehya ends up being good or not imo. they're also adding 2 new artifacts next patch and only one of them is gonna be for baizhu so the other could be for her.

maybe it'll be a surprise new artifact set for eula (who isn't getting re-run with her new support unit for some reason lol)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

eula isn't enemy agnostic, there are several types of enemies that specifically have high phys resistance including ruin guardians
and then you have the other kind of anti-eula enemies which are "anything that can surprise teleport away before your sword drops"
counterpoint: at least youre doing damage to those enemies and can overcome them with raw stats
whats ganyu gonna do to a cyro slime
cry?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ganyu can plink with physical damage uncharged arrows too

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Ganyu kills the slime by unleashing the team's forbidden secret technique: the "Kokomi Special"

The amount of times I've accidentally cleared a chamber with a surprise Koko rampage...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe Dehya being weak is a deliberate decision intended to exploit the appeal of "gap moe"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe Dehya being weak is a deliberate decision intended to exploit the appeal of "gap moe"

NOW we're cooking with gas

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I love Eula and also playing Eula but physical is just the most dire "element" right now. You're doing like 20% your normal damage whenever Ruin Whatevers show up (including the bosses) and you may as well keep her off field against shielded enemies. Superconduct is nice but it's not nearly enough improvement compared to the absurd stuff you can pull off with proper element combos.

Fortunately while Mihoyo is allergic to buffing anyone ever unless half of China is trying to burn down their office they don't seem to mind improving things indirectly through tweaks to reactions and such, so maybe physical will get some buffs or more interactions. Eventually. Someday. :geno:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I believe Eula’s best team right now is hyperbloom, which might actually get me to dust her off. I shelved her since she’s not much fun in the overworld or Abyss.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when they release the first 3* character who only has a normal attack, no vision, no elemental skill and no burst, their best team will be hyperbloom too

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

when they release the first 3* character who only has a normal attack, no vision, no elemental skill and no burst, their best team will be hyperbloom too

no need to get salty about 3* Dunyarzad power-creeping Dehya just yet

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

no need to get salty about 3* Dunyarzad power-creeping Dehya just yet

:laffo:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Asimo posted:

Fortunately while Mihoyo is allergic to buffing anyone ever unless half of China is trying to burn down their office they don't seem to mind improving things indirectly through tweaks to reactions and such, so maybe physical will get some buffs or more interactions. Eventually. Someday. :geno:
They'll buff physical eventually, but not until they need a reason to juice the Snezhnayan characters in 6.0.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Non-elemental traveler already exists though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've gotten into the habit of bringing Nahida everywhere in Sumeru. Have some of Al and his husband's thoughts after his story quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q957fdUsYm8

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Gross, the version preview has some sort of fungus mechanicus game that looks like you have to actually control. The saving grace of that was you could just set up a bunch of turrets and then go do something else for a couple minutes while it sorted itself out. Combining fungus pokemon with that is just awful.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Some of the leaks were saying that she's built with intention of synergizing with Fontaine.

Which, yeah, that would be a really loving stupid way to design.

Regardless, I think that if anyone might want her in the future, they should definitely pull now since lol relying on luck on the standard banner.
Shinobu might have been a plant for Hyperbloom, so if that's true it wouldn't be the first time they've done it.

The idea would be: if they add something that introduces multiple new synergies, it's impractical to add support for them all at once. In fact, it's preferable to make sure it's already seeded in people's collections, because it lets them experiment with it right away, and giving existing characters a new purpose feels good, where introducing a new role without anyone to fill it and then turning around selling you a new character who's ideal for the job three weeks later feels transparently mercenary.

I think it's a great strategy... for 4-stars. But with a standard 5-star, you're much less likely to just get them incidentally, so you don't get as much of that seeding effect, and they don't have the option of just slotting them into someone else's banner like Shinobu's 3.1 rerun, either.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Garrand posted:

I've gotten into the habit of bringing Nahida everywhere in Sumeru. Have some of Al and his husband's thoughts after his story quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q957fdUsYm8

thanks for this. i didn't think they'd keep that mechanic going after the akasha stuff

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
So if I've only ever worked on leveling up Ganyu and no other real DPS and now I'm at AR50, how do you supposed I farm the ice flower to get the next 22 materials I need to ascend to level 90. Is the answer just spending another couple hours farming materials to level up/gear a pyro team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tampa Bae posted:

So if I've only ever worked on leveling up Ganyu and no other real DPS and now I'm at AR50, how do you supposed I farm the ice flower to get the next 22 materials I need to ascend to level 90. Is the answer just spending another couple hours farming materials to level up/gear a pyro team

literally just level up a benett to not die, he only needs a strong weapon base attack wise

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game is very wake me when the next archon is available so I can pull C2+weapon right now zzzz

Also, how did those codes from the latest livestream expire in like 16 or so hours

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

Either that or call upon goons to help you in coop to help kill the flower.

Also for Ganyu you can stop at 80/90 (final ascension done, but not capped on level), as she doesn't get much from going all the way to 90 and that will be a lot of exp books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Toraen posted:

Either that or call upon goons to help you in coop to help kill the flower.

Also for Ganyu you can stop at 80/90 (final ascension done, but not capped on level), as she doesn't get much from going all the way to 90 and that will be a lot of exp books.
Yeah was just looking at 90 for the achievements, her friendship level is nearly 10 and as soon as it hits that I'm replacing her with either Hu Tao or Alhaitham, I just haven't decided which one and haven't started farming mats for either yet