Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Attempted helplessness drives me nuts! I’m pretty big on my kids learning to be as independent as their safety and maturity allows, because I want them to grow to be capable healthy adults. My 5yo is very charming and petite and has learned to use it to get random strangers to do stuff for him!

We were skiing last weekend, and I asked him to pick his skis up and walk ~20 feet to join his class. His threw himself down on the ground and insisted he was TIRED and they were too HEAVY and I caaaaaan’t, mom! He had a random dad of another kid feel bad for him and offer to carry them! I had to decline on his behalf and the dude kinda looked at me like I was being mean when I made by kid do it himself.

At the end of the day, the little bugger got separated from his ski class and had to trek (with two other 5 year olds) a good quarter mile back to the lesson base. Which he did, while carrying his skis. With a SMILE and a spring in his step, after skiing for hours. This kid, who’d convinced a grown adult and parent that he couldn’t go 20 feet!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter has started to test out lying by saying that so-and-so texted so-and-so and here’s what they said.

“Grandma texted papa and said I can have candy.” “My teacher texted my other teacher and said I can watch a movie when I get home.” Etc.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

You are all lucky to have such creative deception tactics. We’ve just entered ‘no I don’t wanna do _____’ and then laying on the ground, which is decidedly not adorable.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

All the kids in the class have been coughing for a week and it looks like they all progressed to a runny nose this morning. I wonder if they all had equally bad sleep last night.

I forget if there was even a break between the last illness and this one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmfao nanny we interviewed gave wife and child flu bug.

Not me tho, vitamin C all day every day. I got Osmosis Jones in my gut.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I served dinner and my daughter said "I'm happy there's mushrooms and onions"

Be still my heart

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

I'm glad my kid inherited my iron clad immune system.

Because it's sure as hell not from good hygiene. Please stop handing me boogers.

Posted Jan 27th. 2.5 weeks ago.

I just got back from the doctor and guess who has strep! Poor kid is absolutely miserable.

Is there an amoxicillin shortage or something? Because my normal pharmacy was out of stock so I had to get the rx transferred.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Renegret posted:

Posted Jan 27th. 2.5 weeks ago.

I just got back from the doctor and guess who has strep! Poor kid is absolutely miserable.

Is there an amoxicillin shortage or something? Because my normal pharmacy was out of stock so I had to get the rx transferred.

Condolences.

I think it depends on your location and pharmacy. I also have strep right now (seemingly from nowhere because I don't know anyone else who has strep), and my amoxicillin prescription was filled in 5 minutes at the CVS I go to (suburbs of Cincinnati).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Just filled an amoxicillin prescription for my two year old at Kaiser in Oakland this morning, no mention of shortage. The pediatric ibuprofen and acetaminophen shelf was still almost empty though.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
It is in short supply here, same with antibiotic ear drops. A couple weeks ago I got some of the last amoxicillin but had to wait a few days for ear drops to come in.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ugh, I used to get ear infections all the drat time as a kid. I even needed tubes in my ears. My sympathies to all the kiddos with them right now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son also has an ear infection and he’s onto cefdinir because amoxicillin didn’t do the trick.

At least he’s pain-free and fever-free and can attend daycare. Though our pediatrician said we might have to take him to an ENT because of his recurrent ear infections.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The pediatric ibuprofen/Motrin shelves are pretty empty but we were able to get amoxicillin from my wife’s pharmacy pretty easily. Kiddo’s first ear infection last week, that was a new one.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
My kid got tubes in January and it was a great experience from start to finish. Also, now I know when he has an ear infection because I can see the fluid drain out, and the treatment is only ear drops, instead of oral antibiotics. His guts have thanked me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

It is in short supply here, same with antibiotic ear drops. A couple weeks ago I got some of the last amoxicillin but had to wait a few days for ear drops to come in.

Kiddo is so miserable I can't imagine waiting a few days for any kind of medicine. I was ready to drive to the end of long island if it meant getting my kid his antibiotics before tomorrow.

I already think part of my problem is that my pharmacy loving sucks though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've seen some news articles about it, it's an international and wide spread supply chain issue

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

G-Spot Run posted:

I've seen some news articles about it, it's an international and wide spread supply chain issue

Ish. The other way to view it is the pharmaceutical companies are refusing to raise wages to fill empty positions along the supply chain. Last I read some of the key manufacturers were running fewer shifts than they normally would or could because they can't hire enough people (for the pay they are offering).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

"The shortage of these products is common in the U.S. Antibiotic usage has increased 46% around the world since 2000, and amoxicillin is a medication that is in high demand globally. Only a few countries produce the active pharmaceutical ingredient for amoxicillin, and some of these manufacturers have also suffered regulatory sanctions, and are unable to continue to manufacture and supply these products."

I had strep back in December and the doc told me I could do the 10 day course of antibiotics or get an antibiotic shot in the butt/upper leg and I took the shot and I will never go back to the antibiotic. So easy.

I think they make a kids dosage too, if any of your kids would be ok with a shot. Another option to ask about if your kid won't freak!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was a huge pain to get my kid's ADHD meds this month. I found a pharmacy that had one months supply left and they held it for me until I could get the script sent over.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

My kid got tubes in January and it was a great experience from start to finish. Also, now I know when he has an ear infection because I can see the fluid drain out, and the treatment is only ear drops, instead of oral antibiotics. His guts have thanked me.
We had tubes placed in my son in February of 2020 and he hasn't had an ear infection since!

I think those drops are expired now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

Ish. The other way to view it is the pharmaceutical companies are refusing to raise wages to fill empty positions along the supply chain. Last I read some of the key manufacturers were running fewer shifts than they normally would or could because they can't hire enough people (for the pay they are offering).
These people are playing with fire. An amoxicillin (and augmentin) shortage means clinicians are having to move to tertiary levels of treatment from the jump, which is only going to make antibiotic resistance worse.

sheri posted:

I had strep back in December and the doc told me I could do the 10 day course of antibiotics or get an antibiotic shot in the butt/upper leg and I took the shot and I will never go back to the antibiotic. So easy.
Rocephin is great now, but might be useless in 20 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I forget the exact statistics, but it's worth pointing out that we have effectively not discovered any new antibiotics since about 1980, after capturing all the low hanging fruit in the 50s and 60s. Once all the bacteria are resistant to the ~50 unique styles of antibiotics you'll end up either not taking any at all, or ingesting a liver-shredding quantity of them to stave off the most threatening illness.

We've discovered maybe 2 new ones since 1980 but usually comes with a caveat like "permanently scars your liver and kidneys", or "only works against this super rare strain not commonly seen" or both. Or it's a subtle variation of an existing one to maintain exclusive patent rights garbage

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

These people are playing with fire. An amoxicillin (and augmentin) shortage means clinicians are having to move to tertiary levels of treatment from the jump, which is only going to make antibiotic resistance worse.

Rocephin is great now, but might be useless in 20 years.

I'm pretty sure it was some amped up version of penicillin. It worked great!

Full disclosure: It was very stingy as they were injecting it into me, which they warned me that it would be. But after that 5 seconds or so up discomfort it was excellent.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
welp

Oldest starts kindergarten next fall, youngest is still in day care for a few more years yet. We were going through school calendars trying to figure out how we're going to allocate our vacation time this year.

Come to find out that not only do the school system's professional development/teacher work days not overlap with day care's, but they don't even overlap with reasonable holidays, or even long weekends... like they're on random Wednesdays and poo poo.

so that's awesome.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Do you have options for school age care providers on that day?

When my son was in kindergarten we just sent him to his old daycare on the days the school was closed.

Now that he's older we send him to either our local boys and girls club, or the YMCA has programs for school-age child care, and there are other options in the area as well.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm sure there's options, but that's just more of an "it never ends" general gripe.

We won't be doing our day care's school age in general because they don't pick up/drop off at the school we're assigned. Dunno if they'd let us do random days or not. YMCA does before/after, which we plan on doing when the time comes... don't know if they do all-day care, though.

We both theoretically have access to Bright Horizons back-up care through our jobs, but I've heard mixed things about that. Have yet to try it.

Of course these are district-wide dates, so any options that exist will be slammed I'm sure.

but I mean come on... we weren't expecting the days to line up perfectly, but Wednesdays??

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We have Bright Horizon's through my wife's job and its been ok and terrible. We had one of the care givers steal from us so once we found out had to do a police report and get them fired and everything. We've had at least 3, might be 4, of their care givers cancel on us in the last minute, often the same day they were supposed to be there. One just didn't even call us or anything, just didn't show up. The times they have shown up and not stolen from us its been fine though.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We actually have a Bright Horizons center nearby, so I always assumed we'd just drop them off there. Though I think we both have access to in-home care as well.

But I've heard similar stories about last-minute cancellations even for the centers... not sure if it'd be better or worse than in-home, but they'll be subject to state laws for ratios and capacity, so I can see that being a crap shoot.

I think maybe at one point one of us registered for it, just so we could set it up quickly if we ever needed it, but we never dug too much in to it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Man, I’m so grateful my mom bought a house 5 minutes away from ours so that when our kid is in school my mom can pick her up and do out of school care if I’m working. My husband works from home most of the time now anyways, so that might not even be necessary.

My mom was a teacher, so I’d just wait in the lobby of my school for her to pick me up when I was little and our holidays mostly lined up. By the time I was in 3rd grade, I just walked the 4 blocks home. Latchkey kids!

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
Our daughter’s school has YMCA before/after care, and they’re also available on site for days when school is closed (I.e for parent-teacher conferences). We were super worried going into kindergarten about finding care on off days but it’s been a non-issue.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Any tips for dealing with an extremely stubborn 6-year old?

Our oldest has always been really stubborn, as well as being pretty bossy and always wanting to be in charge. We constantly have to fight her on clothes, and she always wants to wear cute clothes. This is fine, but she starts having meltdowns because it’s 5 degrees out and she refuses to wear her coat because it covers her outfit.

We’ve been in an increasingly severe cycle where everything we ask her (go out your coat on, put your plate away, hang your backpack up) is met with an immediate refusal. It plays out where we ask her several times kindly, then tell her she needs to do it, then finally we have to threaten to take away her tablet or ground her or whatever, at which point she finally does it. Again, this isn’t necessarily big stuff, it’s just literally things she has to do. And she always ends up doing it, but not before we have to basically threaten her.

This goes hand in hand with her trying to make people do everything for her. She’ll try and get us to go put her shoes away, go shut her door (as in she is in her room on the floor, door open, and we walk by and she says “shut my door please), or anything else she knows she is supposed to do. She tries to force her younger brother to do stuff if she thinks we won’t hear her.

We’ve tried to talk to her about it and tell her “we don’t like doing this, it makes you feel bad and us feel bad, but nothing else works”. I don’t know if she can conceptualize what we’re asking, cause when we try and say “what can we do to help this not be so bad?” The answer is always “give me what I want”.

It just feels bad cause we don’t like having to get in fights 5 times a day just to get her to put shoes on or whatever.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Very much the same vibes every morning. We've recently shifted to everything being defacto prohibited, and earned back by good behaviour and routines. The concept I'm thinking is that he's stuck in a bad script, he thinks this is just how things get done/negotiated in the morning, so we're going to flip it over to more of a "wow, now you're 6 our theme is independence!"

I think there's always a really fine line you have to identify and walk between natural consequences and your own limits. Getting ready for school on time is a big bug bear for us, but if it really came down to it my work is flexible enough that I could have a stand off until he's ready to do the bare minimum to be dropped off late via the office. This tension means that my positive script often devolves into standing with my hands in the air saying "I've already finished school. If you aren't ready on time then you're the only one who'll be missing out, and you'll be the one explaining to your teacher that you're late over socks".

In your circumstances, maybe cute outfits that aren't weather appropriate is one you can let her suffer the consequences one day, but maybe you live in the snow and that's not really viable. But I do think when they're willful like this you're never going to turn them compliant (and, thinking long term, I don't want to raise a compliant drone anyway) so you're better to emphasise deliberately 'yes, little person you do have agency, you can control things, and when you don't make responsible choices you won't get good outcomes'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I just found out that Ludacris has a flow that works really well with children's books. I read dozens of doughnuts to the tune of act a fool and would recommend you all try that.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Any tips for dealing with an extremely stubborn 6-year old?

Hey that's similar to my seven year old. Our carrot is playing on the Switch. When things were at the worst we changed it from her losing the video games to her having to earn them. So playing the Switch was no longer a default thing she had access to. We laid out clear expectations to earn the time: be dressed by 8AM, shoes and backpack put away, etc. There were like 4 things, and if she failed to do one she'd just not get the game, we'd ask her to do the thing twice, but we didn't bring up the Switch, she just found out the next day when she tried to play.

Then you have to praise her like mad when she gets it right.

I also think kids like this respond well to getting responsibilities where they can be more independent. I showed my daughter how to do her laundry, how to set the washer and dryer, and add detergent. She was an angel for a few weeks after that. I think her trying to be controlling and demanding is her desire to be independent showing up.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Shout out to my 2.5 y.o. who woke up at midnight and has just been quoting books and songs at me for the past hour. Go the gently caress to sleep kid.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Benagain posted:

I just found out that Ludacris has a flow that works really well with children's books. I read dozens of doughnuts to the tune of act a fool and would recommend you all try that.

Ludacris and picture books you say: https://kids.scholastic.com/kid/books/karmas-world/

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

And don’t forget him freestyling Llama Llama Red Pajama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtHeo7oMSU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thanks for the tips re: stubborn 6 year old.

I took her out to get ice cream for the family and tried to talk with her. I told her that her mom and I were tired of fighting with her nonstop, and we know it makes her sad too, and that we wanted to find another way to handle that stuff. She agreed, but couldn’t really parse what I meant when I asked her if we could find shorter way to deal with those disagreements.

I think for now we’ll just have to stay consistent. I like the idea of having the consequences (no switch, etc.) be built in instead of having to be used like a cudgel. She’s smart enough to put it together when we tell her she’s not getting her toys because of how she acted last night or whenever.

Hard part is just that punishing children is really just a punishment for parents.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Doing some deep cleaning while the kids are with their dad. Did some really heavy crying while going through their toys and deciding what to keep or give away. They’re not babies any more, they don’t need or want their teethers, crinkly books, rattles, etc, but good lord it’s hard to put that stuff in a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Why won’t my kid poop gdi