Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Shear Modulus posted:

The same business types who are going apeshit about chatgpt also gave adam neumann, elizabeth holmes, and sam bankman-fried zillions of dollars because they were able to spin a bunch of smart-sounding bullshit about something they knew nothing about. The job that chatgpt can replace right now is startup founder

necromantic emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i wobder what happens when you ask chatgpt to write a book report on f. scott fitzgerald's classic high school reading material novel the great gatsby and then run it through one of those plagairism detection sites

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Milo and POTUS posted:

Skynet did nothing wrong

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Antonymous posted:

they're kinda a 1950s cyberpunk dystopia I am fully in my rights to post them here

Why would i waste my precious human brainpower reading anything written by a robot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

redleader posted:

why do you think chatgpt is drawing anything from literary criticism etc for that stuff

Because it's part of its data set. Ask it about some literary criticism. Unless it's something incredibly obscure, it's probably been hoovered up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shear Modulus posted:

Why would i waste my precious human brainpower reading anything written by a robot

I suppose you don't have much to spare

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

tokin opposition posted:

I suppose you don't have much to spare

“never let a computer tell me poo poo”

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

its better than ur posts

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Al! posted:

i wobder what happens when you ask chatgpt to write a book report on f. scott fitzgerald's classic high school reading material novel the great gatsby and then run it through one of those plagairism detection sites

i just tested a few essays and it always seems to detect at least some plagiarism on the free sites, sometimes a lot. its fairly easy to rewrite the directly lifted sentences though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TDepressionEarl posted:

a lot of public domain books were digitized, gutenburg project and what not.

its free real estate

it did know about some obscure book from the 1830s I've been reading, though it partially misrepresented the content and invented a chapter out of whole cloth

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Vox Nihili posted:

Because it's part of its data set. Ask it about some literary criticism. Unless it's something incredibly obscure, it's probably been hoovered up.

yeah, but it's not gonna be integrating that data into its response when you ask it to give you a judge judy episode in the style of william shakespeare

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

redleader posted:

yeah, but it's not gonna be integrating that data into its response when you ask it to give you a judge judy episode in the style of william shakespeare

It might, is the thing. It grabs poo poo from all over its enormous data set. If someone said something about Shakespeare's works and that commentary is in its data set then it might very well end up influencing a prompt. It's an unbelievably vast black box.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's not really good at generating anything "creative", yet. i've fed it some prompts to write reviews of a couple of our band's albums and the results are basically an absurd combination of both lifting wholesale from previous published reviews and straight making poo poo up ... band members, song names, etc. once it's able to process actual content, ie just feed it all of youtube and spotify, and conduct comparative analysis, that's when things will really go nutty.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ask it to redo scenes from movies/shows/plays where the actors/characters are incredibly drunk and you'll get some fun stuff. Romeo & Juliet and The Matrix were fun

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Laterite posted:

yeah it's not really good at generating anything "creative", yet. i've fed it some prompts to write reviews of a couple of our band's albums and the results are basically an absurd combination of both lifting wholesale from previous published reviews and straight making poo poo up ... band members, song names, etc. once it's able to process actual content, ie just feed it all of youtube and spotify, and conduct comparative analysis, that's when things will really go nutty.

to be fair a lot has been written about your band, smash mouth

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i ask gpt to give me some info on a topic, it will give me a fairly basic exec summary with some subtopic paragraphs that look credible at first glance. i ask it to expand with some detail on one of the subtopics and it will list a mix of facts plus a bunch of stuff i know is wrong. ill then ask it to clarify or expand on one of the wrong items and it just goes 'oops i mispoke, i dunno, i dont actually know anything im a language model.' okay great thanks friend

on second thought thats not much different than most people when you grill them on a topic or have them write anything detailed, so maybe it is alive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah that’s every TV expert, and they get paid like ten thousand dollars per appearance.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

to be fair a lot has been written about your band, smash mouth

code:
write a song called "smash mouth eat the eggs"

Verse 1:
Somebody once told me, the world is kinda crazy
But I don't think you can prepare me for what's coming lately
I'm scrolling through my timeline, trying to make sense of it all
But there's a meme that's got me laughing, and I can't help but fall

Chorus:
Smash Mouth eat the eggs, it doesn't make much sense
But in this crazy world we live in, it's the perfect defense
When everything's so serious, and the news is so grim
Smash Mouth eat the eggs, and you'll have a reason to grin

Verse 2:
It's a phrase that's caught on, and it's spreading like wildfire
People all over the world, are shouting it out like a choir
It's like a secret code, a joke that we all share
It doesn't matter who you are, or if you're here or there

Chorus:

Bridge:
It's just a silly little thing, but it's bringing us together
We may be strangers on the internet, but we're friends forever
So let's keep the joke alive, and spread it far and wide
We'll all have something to laugh about, even when we want to hide

Chorus:

Outro:
Smash Mouth eat the eggs, it's the meme of the year
So let's keep it going strong, and bring some joy and cheer
We can't control what happens, but we can choose our response
So let's laugh together, and make this world a better place to belong.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

code:
produce a chord sequence, for the lyrics you wrote previously for the song called "smash mouth eat the eggs", in the style of pop-punk

Absolutely, here's a chord sequence for "Smash Mouth Eat the Eggs" in the style of pop-punk:

Verse:
G - D - Em - C

Chorus:
G - D - C - G
G - D - C

Bridge:
Am - C - G - D
Am - C - G - D

The pop-punk style often uses power chords (two-note chords) played with a distorted guitar sound, so you can experiment with playing the chords as power chords to give the song a more aggressive edge. The rhythm is usually fast-paced, so you can try playing the chords with a faster tempo and a more energetic strumming pattern. Good luck and have fun with it!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shear Modulus posted:

they trained it on d&d posts

Make it play a horny bard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Laterite posted:

code:
produce a chord sequence, for the lyrics you wrote previously for the song called "smash mouth eat the eggs", in the style of pop-punk

Absolutely, here's a chord sequence for "Smash Mouth Eat the Eggs" in the style of pop-punk:

Verse:
G - D - Em - C

Chorus:
G - D - C - G
G - D - C

Bridge:
Am - C - G - D
Am - C - G - D

The pop-punk style often uses power chords (two-note chords) played with a distorted guitar sound, so you can experiment with playing the chords as power chords to give the song a more aggressive edge. The rhythm is usually fast-paced, so you can try playing the chords with a faster tempo and a more energetic strumming pattern. Good luck and have fun with it!

balls in your court now man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

laterite record smash mouth eat the eggs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the song and hope its in the next shrek

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
chatGPT knows more about computers than my computer touching coworker but that's damning with faint praise

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alright im gonna gently caress with that song when i get home next week lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Laterite posted:

So the thing is that "processing actual content" is not only not even close to anything ChatGPT does, none of the things it does are even trending in the direction of improving its ability to process content directly.

ChatGPT is just an autocomplete but writing longer sentences. It is basically a dictionary, a map of how often each word in the dictionary appears near each other word, and some checks to get it to write grammatically correct sentences. It's slightly more sophisticated than having a bag full of those one-word poetry magnets and just pulling them out.

ChatGPT cannot even reliably do arithmetic correctly. A thing that computers have been really good at for a while, and that is extremely easy to check for correctness. The line of research that involves checking for factual validity or meaning is entirely not the same track as what lead to or will come out of ChatGPT.

thats not candy posted:

i ask gpt to give me some info on a topic, it will give me a fairly basic exec summary with some subtopic paragraphs that look credible at first glance. i ask it to expand with some detail on one of the subtopics and it will list a mix of facts plus a bunch of stuff i know is wrong. ill then ask it to clarify or expand on one of the wrong items and it just goes 'oops i mispoke, i dunno, i dont actually know anything im a language model.' okay great thanks friend

on second thought thats not much different than most people when you grill them on a topic or have them write anything detailed, so maybe it is alive

Yeah the thing that I'm mystified about with ChatGPT is why people decided that semi-credible sounding mumbling was the thing that humans couldn't produce fast enough or in great enough quantities. It's like making a sewage treatment plant where for every pound of poo water that goes in, 2 lbs of poo water come out. Like ok but why.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

It's like making a sewage treatment plant where for every pound of poo water that goes in, 2 lbs of poo water come out. Like ok but why.

this is the best metaphor for data science I've read.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Al! posted:

Not exactly the same thing but there are sites specifically to detect AI output. The problem is they're also just instances of ChatGPT behind the scenes so their verdict is about as good as flipping a coin.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

thats not candy posted:

sounds like your typical job interview

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ikanreed posted:

What most people need, rather than more creativity, is an editor.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Tulip posted:

Yeah the thing that I'm mystified about with ChatGPT is why people decided that semi-credible sounding mumbling was the thing that humans couldn't produce fast enough or in great enough quantities. It's like making a sewage treatment plant where for every pound of poo water that goes in, 2 lbs of poo water come out. Like ok but why.

Because it's about shotguning SEO content to get those clicks OP

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Tulip posted:

So the thing is that "processing actual content" is not only not even close to anything ChatGPT does, none of the things it does are even trending in the direction of improving its ability to process content directly.

ChatGPT is just an autocomplete but writing longer sentences. It is basically a dictionary, a map of how often each word in the dictionary appears near each other word, and some checks to get it to write grammatically correct sentences. It's slightly more sophisticated than having a bag full of those one-word poetry magnets and just pulling them out.

ChatGPT cannot even reliably do arithmetic correctly. A thing that computers have been really good at for a while, and that is extremely easy to check for correctness. The line of research that involves checking for factual validity or meaning is entirely not the same track as what lead to or will come out of ChatGPT.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the natural language model is pretty impressive regardless of its loose facts. I also like how if you ask it to provide sources for what its generating, it will throw out a bunch of dead links cause all its inputs were scraped years ago

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

thats not candy posted:

Don't get me wrong, I still think the natural language model is pretty impressive regardless of its loose facts. I also like how if you ask it to provide sources for what its generating, it will throw out a bunch of dead links cause all its inputs were scraped years ago

Dead links? Or it just responds with something that looks like a url, but it made it up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_lAb8m9MpI

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it does just make poo poo up of course. i asked it for a list of songs by a band and it was all fabricated garbage.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

NZAmoeba posted:

Dead links? Or it just responds with something that looks like a url, but it made it up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_lAb8m9MpI

Real links that have been moved or give a 404 cause the website changed since 2021.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Making poo poo up is the primary mode of action, what the thing was made to do. Coughing up real facts was always an unintended consequence

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
robots churning out garbage to be "read" by other robots to generate impressions to make money for robots (or near as much). meanwhile, ecological collapse.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

thats not candy posted:

Real links that have been moved or give a 404 cause the website changed since 2021.

Actually lol all those links and references are fake, awesome!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

uber_stoat posted:

robots churning out garbage to be "read" by other robots to generate impressions to make money for robots (or near as much). meanwhile, ecological collapse.

i mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

yeah, not that different ultimately. just optimizing the inefficient apes out of the system.