Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tyshalob posted:

Is Excalibur like permanently closed to new character creation? I've tried to create a character at even the most off-peak hours I could and character creation was still disallowed.

Yeah it's congested right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tyshalob posted:

Is Excalibur like permanently closed to new character creation? I've tried to create a character at even the most off-peak hours I could and character creation was still disallowed.

Congested servers just straight up block character creation, it's not time of day based.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's not permanent however. They review and change server status periodically, usually around patches.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If a server is "congested" that status only changes with a patch so your next chance will be 6.35 sometime in March

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
As ever, I am interested in giving this another shot. I heard something about positional skills being removed. Is that accurate?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ah, well, it used to be that congestion was evaluated every few hours or so and you could get in during off-peak hours. Guess I'll go find somewhere else to play.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

As ever, I am interested in giving this another shot. I heard something about positional skills being removed. Is that accurate?

Not totally, but they've been reduced.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

Positional are mostly removed. Most melee classes still have positional on their combo finishers, but that's usually it. MNK no longer has to constantly shuffle back and forth because they have a positional on every move, they just need to position themselves for Demolish and Snap Punch only.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Positional are mostly removed. Most melee classes still have positional on their combo finishers, but that's usually it. MNK no longer has to constantly shuffle back and forth because they have a positional on every move, they just need to position themselves for Demolish and Snap Punch only.

Good to hear. Thank you. Never liked attempts to make mmo combat more frantic. Not that it shouldn't be, just that it always feels mushy and unsatisfying to me.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The potency bonus of positionals were reduced a lot as well, so it's not the end of the world if you miss one and a flank attack hits a rear or something. It's more a loss to hold the gcd to get into position than it is to just keep your gcd rolling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I noticed on DRG the Raiden Thrust activation no longer requires that both positionals landed correctly either, so you can actually use it solo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Because of the lowered emphasis on positionals you can get a lot more mileage out of your true north charges too so you need to move even less.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Crucially all remaining positionals are just for a small potency boost, so they never impact your rotation if you miss them

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's normalized so all the melee jobs now have two positionals, one rear and one flank. If you don't do them you'll lose a few percent damage but you'll also just naturally land one if you stay on a boss's rear end

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

also helps to remember that there's a hard line between what counts as flank and rear at the enemy's intercardinal positions. someone else probably has the image to clarify what I'm saying, but basically you don't have to run alllll the way between the targets rear end and shoulders to execute positionals.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

SAMs no longer generate extra kenki for hitting their positionals, now it's just a minor potency boost like everyone else.

edit: Also the circles under your target had an update semi-recently, and is much better at showing where the divide between rear and flank is.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
DRG has more than 2, though. I believe chaos Thrust is still a rear, Fang and Claw is a flank, and Wheeling Thrust is a rear. And those are all pre-60. Plus Wheeling chains off of Chaos anyway so you don't actually have to move in between.

And I think Trick Attack off NIN still gets a small bonus from the rear, but that's on a 60s cooldown and needs Suiton to work anyway.

Oh my gosh, a couple of jobs have 3 instead of 2! Still way better than old MNK having 6.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vitamean posted:

also helps to remember that there's a hard line between what counts as flank and rear at the enemy's intercardinal positions. someone else probably has the image to clarify what I'm saying, but basically you don't have to run alllll the way between the targets rear end and shoulders to execute positionals.

Something like this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stand in the exact geographic center of the boss, then you only need to take 1 step in each direction.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Stand in the exact geographic center of the boss, then you only need to take 1 step in each direction.

Lol. This would be me. I'm just low key stressed about doing group content and didn't want the responsibility of healer or tank. But positional skills stress me out too because of my bad eyesight. Sounds like it's really no big to miss these so that's good to know.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

Lol. This would be me. I'm just low key stressed about doing group content and didn't want the responsibility of healer or tank. But positional skills stress me out too because of my bad eyesight. Sounds like it's really no big to miss these so that's good to know.

Or play as a ranged or caster DPS with no positionals and no responsibilities the responsibilities of healers and tanks are less than they look, and in normal raids/trials a tank is frequently just a dps who's harder to kill

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tank responsibilities mostly amount to running a couple cooldowns on trash pulls and, in harder content, running cooldowns according to a schedule and knowing when to swap agro with your partner. boss positioning kinda matters but I think of it like how dps standing on the right places so they don't clip each other with attacks or whatever also matters.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

but unironically. a player might instinctually try to stay outside the red boss circle, but there's no reason you can't, and often times reasons you should. particularly in endwalker, where boss circles have become so large i can slap down a sacred soil dead center on the boss, but if the tank stands north of the circle and everyone else south of the circle, nobody's gonna get any mit or regen from it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah hitbox circles are so dumb that I can't heal from one side to the other.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the one change I'd like to see to hitboxes is to have thin lines at their rear intercards drawn in from the outer edge towards the center, to help guide people into hitting their positionals from closer in the boss's hitbox.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
As usual, I’m looking into different means of accessibility people have used to get the game working for them, and I stumbled across this. Kind of fascinating to see someone go through facets of the game point by point and be very explicit about which components of the game are accessible, and how they are accessible. Dunno if anyone cares, but I thought it was fascinating and informative.

https://youtu.be/z8dlJmcfAjs

Wish I were playing on PC because you can use a text to speech addon to pick up dialogue for you.

Also, I really hope the addon bullshit doesn’t escalate, since I think addons with PC are the most accessible way to play the game. Would be a shame if those got torched because a few insufferable nerdlings can’t handle not being perfectly optimal at raiding.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Qwertycoatl posted:

play as a ranged or caster DPS with no positionals and no responsibilities
:yeah:

BurningBeard posted:

I really hope the addon bullshit doesn’t escalate, since I think addons with PC are the most accessible way to play the game. Would be a shame if those got torched because a few insufferable nerdlings can’t handle not being perfectly optimal at raiding.
From what I've seen (started playing in June 2019), it's a cycle of: raiders use mods to help clear ultimate -> people mad, addon users get suspensions -> devs implement UI fixes and other features -> nobody really complains about addons until the next ultimate releases.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty much, you usually don't hear much about addons other than when an Ultimate releases, it seems. Last time an Ultimate came out, the same thing happened, IIRC.
Some idiot streamed showing them using cheat addons and it blew up for a little while.

The Gshade idiot just extended it a little this time.

The devs have all but said they don't care about addons in most cases, unless you're using them to harass someone in some way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BurningBeard posted:

As usual, I’m looking into different means of accessibility people have used to get the game working for them, and I stumbled across this. Kind of fascinating to see someone go through facets of the game point by point and be very explicit about which components of the game are accessible, and how they are accessible. Dunno if anyone cares, but I thought it was fascinating and informative.

https://youtu.be/z8dlJmcfAjs

Wish I were playing on PC because you can use a text to speech addon to pick up dialogue for you.

Also, I really hope the addon bullshit doesn’t escalate, since I think addons with PC are the most accessible way to play the game. Would be a shame if those got torched because a few insufferable nerdlings can’t handle not being perfectly optimal at raiding.

I really like the visual alerts system. It's not something that helps me personally, but I just like accessibility options in general.

For those that never fiddled with it, it puts an audio visualizer on the sides of the screen, with different colors for BGM, game sounds, system sounds... A useful-seeming measure for those with auditory disorders.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Finally got my newest episode of Welcome Sprout out. This one goes over a quick glance of each of the jobs. Might not be helpful if you already know the game, but if you're new and kind of wondering which class to pick at the start, maybe it will give you some ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-uOFecj3E

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It was good that Hancock, Yugiri, and Tataru all decided to make a cameo during the Ivalice quests to state emphatically that no characters you like want anything to do with this bullshit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Funky Valentine posted:

It was good that Hancock, Yugiri, and Tataru all decided to make a cameo during the Ivalice quests to state emphatically that no characters you like want anything to do with this bullshit.

And Hancock didn't either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hancock rules

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't really remember that much about the Ivalice stuff, why is it held in such poor regard? What about the story turned people off?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I don't really remember that much about the Ivalice stuff, why is it held in such poor regard? What about the story turned people off?
Wine, probably. Also Ramza bas Lexentale being a little poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
For me, it was the storyline quickly devolved into a completely impenetrable mass of names and places that had no reference point anywhere else in the game, all delivered through people just standing around and dryly talking to each other. It's all of the problems with FF14's presentation in microcosm. But where the MSQ lets you soak in it over several hundred hours and moves you around and breaks it up with exciting stuff, the Ivalice stuff is just...talking. So much goddamn talking about things that were pretty quickly sliding off my brain.

The bosses themselves are fun, though I never remember how the Lord of Thunder guy works.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Imagine playing a game where there's a sidestory. Said sidestory is utterly completely divorced from what exists in the main story. There is no connective tissue in any direction, at best everyone is charmless to an insane degree, presenting insanely dry and boring rear end lore, and the story drags on roughly thirty hundred times longer than it should, to the point where actively mashing X through the story and skipping everything still takes close to an entire hour because of how completely, impenetrably dense it is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, my primary issue with the Ivalice storyline is that it just feels like "remember these other games? That's happening here now" with very little integration into the actual FFXIV setting (as compared to other FF lifts/references, which in my experience are worked into the setting much more seamlessly). I mean, I guess the basic setup of the FFXIV world allows for this long-forgotten mythical kingdom and its associated pseudo-deific entity to just sort of be hanging out, but it just feels much clumsier than the standard. As others have mentioned, it doesn't help that the NPCs are pretty unlikable compared to the average, especially since they have so much more work to do to justify the story.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It doesn't help that it's probably the worst non-Nier part of the game for Obvious Crossover syndrome—most of the rest of the game can stand on its own without the "oh I recognize that name" neurons firing, but the Ivalice raids basically live and die entirely on Hey It's That Guy energy—and the preexisting characters that show up outside of it are written really strangely inside the bounds of the raids.

I tend to judge it more harshly for the former, since it's at least nominally trying to fit in the setting (unlike Nier, which is for its story flaws at least not trying anything but "we're doing a crossover do you like it") and falls on its face doing so since it has three raids of quests to tell you about an entire chunk of the setting it made up to fit the Ivalice stuff in.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Honestly, I feel like for me Orbonne Monastery does a lot of the heavy lifting narrative-wise. It's one of my favourite instances in the entire game (beaten out by Seat of Sacrifice) and the in-game narrative storytelling is second only to the 4.3 trial. That said, now that I think about it, outside of Mathbot and the Red Chocobo (Savage) memes I'm not too fond of the rest of the storyline, both in terms of the actual raids and the story itself. The story suffers a lot from the same flaws as the Nier raids, in that it's mostly focused on going HEY REMEMBER THIS OTHER UNRELATED GAME rather than building a narrative on its own merits, and if you haven't played Tactics it's very, very easy to get lost in the references. There's also the fact that it was also setup for Bozja, which itself turned out to be a wet fart of a storyline.