Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

PS2 Emulation is uneven enough that the steps up are:

$150-200 Retroid Pocket 3+/Anbernic RG505
$200-250 Ayn Odin Lite
$250-350 big hole in the market that Pimax will not fill
$350-450 Ayn Loki/Steam Deck/Razer Edge lol

Might as well make a list of what games you are actually trying to play and then see if you can find performance spreadsheets/gameplay videos of them and figure out how much you want to pay for said performance

The $250-$350 is the Odin pro.

The steam deck is still the champ at the $399 price though. The champ by order of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah in like 10 to 20 years the Steam Deck being released is probably going to be considered one of those "this changed everything" moments for gaming

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

How fast are Odin Lites shipping? I’m just shy of three weeks since I ordered a RP3+ and getting a little impatient.

Retroid had a huge Covid related shutdown in the factory but they announced today I think that shipping is ramping back up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Have another look at third party very tiny micro handhelds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6doWcA6q6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-UiY1R83iU

MarcusSA posted:

The $250-$350 is the Odin pro
I was under the impression that the Odin non-lite was not substantially different than the Lite in terms of PS2 performance?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Miyoo Mini + news WHEN.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Theotus posted:

Miyoo Mini + news WHEN.
Once the Miyoo Mini is no longer mini it's just another 3.5" vertical handheld like the RG35XX isn't it?

The size was what made it special.

That reminds me, RIP the longest running Third Party Retro Console blog, https://obscurehandhelds.com/

For fun go back to the very beginning when it's about the Dingoo and JXD and weird clone consoles from DealExtreme: https://obscurehandhelds.com/blog/page/32/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

F.D. Signifier posted:

That reminds me, RIP the longest running Third Party Retro Console blog, https://obscurehandhelds.com/

Ah man, rip to a real one

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I have a Thumby and it's a neat gimic/toy
Of the games I've played Outhumb (outrun clone) is the most graphically impressive one
Micro2048 is the most playable
Thumgeon and Tinyrogue are the most intersting

Worth buying if you've a bit of spare disposible income but it won't be replacing any of your other handhelds

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

F.D. Signifier posted:

I was under the impression that the Odin non-lite was not substantially different than the Lite in terms of PS2 performance?

Yeah from what I understand the Odin Pro is mostly useful if you also want your emulator handheld to play Android games by which I mean Genshin.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But Genshin doesn't have console-like controller support on Android from what I heard?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No (it does on iOS and has done for a long time, this remains extremely funny to me) but all the Android handhelds have some kind of control mapping function to bodge it in so you can play Genshin on an Odin with the actual controls. You can also install Windows on an Odin Pro which seems like a bad idea but it’s apparently more capable than you’d expect.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can install window on a Snapdragon chip?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, Russ did it around when it came out. It's a Github version of Windows ARM specifically made for the Odin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cppIppR7WnI

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Windows on ARM should have a lot more application in theory but in practice there is almost no Windows on arm hardware. schools continue to use chromebooks or ipads.

(there is also possibility of TSMC can't make enough enough 4nm 5nm arm chips so Windows just keep relying on less efficient Intel 10nm poo poo)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

F.D. Signifier posted:

Once the Miyoo Mini is no longer mini it's just another 3.5" vertical handheld like the RG35XX isn't it?

The size was what made it special.

For fun go back to the very beginning when it's about the Dingoo and JXD and weird clone consoles from DealExtreme: https://obscurehandhelds.com/blog/page/32/

You can check out size comparisons with regard to other vertical handhelds. May not be anything revolutionary but the size is perfect for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No (it does on iOS and has done for a long time, this remains extremely funny to me) but all the Android handhelds have some kind of control mapping function to bodge it in so you can play Genshin on an Odin with the actual controls. You can also install Windows on an Odin Pro which seems like a bad idea but it’s apparently more capable than you’d expect.

I still don’t know why in 2023 genshin doesn’t have controller support for android. It’s actually kinda ridiculous tbh

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Theotus posted:

You can check out size comparisons with regard to other vertical handhelds. May not be anything revolutionary but the size is perfect for me.
Retrododo made a size comparison based on it using the same 3.5" screen as the RG3XX and it's basically just the same size

This is what I meant by "the size is what made it special" regarding the original Miyoo Mini

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

OnionOS is really good and an often overlooked part of what makes the MiyooMini so good imo. From what I've read the Onion devs have had their hands on the new device for awhile so you'll be getting a good OS right out the gate.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

For me the benefit of the Mini+ over the other two in that picture is that it will have WiFi, and therefore will be my dedicated Retroachievement machine.

Sure I could use the steam deck but it’s a little harder to drag into the toilet or bathtub

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Booted up the RP2 for the first time in a while just to give it another shot. I opened Castlevania 4 and I also opened it in zsnes with a USB Buffalo controller which feels perfect to me for emulation. I jumped at the same time on both and RP2 was always slightly behind. Fingers crossed the 3+ fixes this in a way I can enjoy those kinds of games. If not, there are plenty of slower games I can play that that wouldn't matter but that was a disappointment first getting the 2.

I kinda like the retro boxy early Nintendo aesthetic of the 2 over the Switch Lite style 3 design but the controller layout and touch screen are big improvements.

Another dumb gripe is no matter how many times I try, it will never change the wallpaper. It will say "wallpaper set" when I select another then it just still is dolphins.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

uhh why are you still using zsnes? please tell me you mean snes9x or something

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Another layer of nostalgia for my nostalgia. It works for me and the UI is pleasing.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
First look at the Miyoo Mini +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmTg2ZZdq4

Those triggers look comfy and it's a bit smaller than the 35XX.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fors Yard posted:

Another layer of nostalgia for my nostalgia. It works for me and the UI is pleasing.

I..guess I understand, but zsnes has documented security vulnerabilities and shouldn't be used

and is also hideous inaccurate compared to even well performing modern emulators

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
They should make a web browser that looks exactly like zsnes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Give me SNESticle

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When I finally graduated from znes I was blown away by how many games used transparency effects. It turns out chrono trigger doesn't have ANY blind maze areas!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

When I finally graduated from znes I was blown away by how many games used transparency effects. It turns out chrono trigger doesn't have ANY blind maze areas!

smh if you didn’t experience playing these games while constantly flipping layers on and off

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I... think the other goon's post was about feeling input lag in the RP2 in comparison to the PC working with an ancient copy of ZSNES. The same situation would have been noticed from using a better SNES emulator on PC either way.

I'm curious on how Android stuff still seems to have issues with added input lag years later; I imagined that would have been sorted by now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I ordered my 353M directly from Anbernic instead of the few Amazon listings I saw with Prime to save a couple bucks and I'm severely regretting it now as I could have had this thing tomorrow but instead it's still processing in China :smith:

Gonna invent a time machine so I can go back in time and kick my own rear end for not ordering this from amazon so I'd have it in time for me to be stuck in bed recovering from Covid for the last week :argh:

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I'm curious on how Android stuff still seems to have issues with added input lag years later; I imagined that would have been sorted by now.
I think it has a lot to do with Threaded Video being enabled by default - if you have a half-decent device and have this disabled, input lag *can be* imperceptible for PS1 and below without having to enable run-ahead.

A bigger issue with Android is audio lag - you can reduce the buffer size to reduce it, but Linux handhelds don't have this problem to nearly the same degree.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

flavor.flv posted:

God, I still remember that from like 2003 or whatever. I didn't beat Chrono trigger for so many years.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

smh if you didn’t experience playing these games while constantly flipping layers on and off

this was the coolest part

sometimes you'd find sprites and stuff that were never seen normally. like the sleeping party members in Chrono Trigger are full body sprites, but you only see their heads.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first time I played the FF5 fan translation I wondered why the ship graveyard was completely impossible to navigate

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I could be misremembering, but didn't zsnes ultimately support transparency? I vaguely remember having to do something with Vesa drivers and Scitech Display Doctor? This had to have been in like, the late 90s, pre-XP when Windows 9x still ran over DOS. Aah, memories!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It did eventually, yeah

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why do all of those pre-loaded pi consoles suck so much? I'm the least tech savvy person on earth and I just want to play retro stuff without the hassle of dicking around with ROMs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

sponges posted:

Why do all of those pre-loaded pi consoles suck so much? I'm the least tech savvy person on earth and I just want to play retro stuff without the hassle of dicking around with ROMs.

Here you go plus this one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not a retro console questoin per se, but what controller has the best d-pad? Just buy a dualshock 4 or are there any third party ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

icantfindaname posted:

Not a retro console questoin per se, but what controller has the best d-pad? Just buy a dualshock 4 or are there any third party ones?

I like the 8bitdo Pro 2 a lot.