Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I kinda get the comparison, sorta open world, half of it is being drunk constantly and picking fights. But yeah they are very different things in their various versions of dudes rock insanity.

e: Yakuza stories if you care about the story are film noir in the end, GTA stories are stories are gangsters making good? Which is odd for a series named Yakuza, but I think that's generally true.

the first game doesn't have the most to its story, but 2 sets the bar incredibly high because they brought on a film/TV writer who had experience doing this genre type. Yakuza 3 kind of takes a diversion, but 4-5 are both huge, Zero (next in release order) is one of the best games of the past generation, and 6 is incredibly solid. 7: Like a Dragon was great, but it's got a different combat style (JRPG turn-based combat knocking off Dragon Quest games) which takes some time to grasp.

Ishin is a remake of a game which is set in the Meiji Restoration, so late 19th century after the United States rolled some warships into Tokyo Bay and said "'sup?". It casts different semi-historical figures as characters/actors from the mainline series. It also was originally made before Zero (was the first game on the PS4 IIRC) so might have some clunky aspects to it, I haven't started yet but will do so soon.

also the biggest difference between these games and GTA is that most of your movement in GTA is not at the walking scale, but driving, whereas the Yakuza games are almost all on foot. It's literally the difference between living in Los Angeles and living in Tokyo. 7: LaD is one of the bigger single-city map areas, and it's just one large neighborhood that's a pastiche of like three districts of Yokohama smashed together, but you're still not actually driving around any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The first quarter of Wakanda Forever was pretty good, then they got to the main plot and it was incredibly stupid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look I watched and read Fushigi Yuugi before Inuyasha so my particular teen girl brain was primed to be ultra tolerant of the two mains yelling each other's names a lot.
TETSUOOOO!!!

KANEDAAAA!!!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Never misses:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1626699285168287745?t=Q8wNUg6oBMogz5Y-rW-YeA&s=19

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

That show did not miss on it's ending theme songs.
:hai:

Whatever song played during the one ending with the ferris wheel, just agh god the nostalgia

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 18, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look I watched and read Fushigi Yuugi before Inuyasha so my particular teen girl brain was primed to be ultra tolerant of the two mains yelling each other's names a lot.

Fushigi Yuugi is one of those shows (don't remember if I finished the manga) that I forget existed despite having been really into at the time.

Like, I'll see it mentioned out in the wild and I go, "oh yeah, FY!" and then forget about until the next time I see it mentioned again. Which is a drat shame, because it has some of the first queer representation I was exposed to that hadn't been edited (like in Sailor Moon)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My favorite thing about Yakuza is the tonal whiplash between the main story of this serious mob story with murder, backstabbing, kidnapping etc. Then doing a side quest where you collect trading cars of women with big titties so you can challenge kids to a rock paper scissors style match.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

All this game talk has me wanting to DL Disco Elysium. I’ve had my eye on it for awhile and I think it’s time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

LeeMajors posted:

All this game talk has me wanting to DL Disco Elysium. I’ve had my eye on it for awhile and I think it’s time.

Quite literally a top 5 game all-time. Especially the final cut with all that tremendous voice acting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Man, out here at Baton Rouge Spanish Town Mardi Gras and the skunk weed is everywhere. Smells like college.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Quite literally a top 5 game all-time. Especially the final cut with all that tremendous voice acting.

I think I’m just going to do it. I still have Yakuza 0 sitting there which I think I’m going to restart. I kinda bounced off when I hit the underground boxing club and realized I hadn’t spent enough time on real estate mechanics getting rich.

But I’ve been toying with DE for awhile and it’s 20$ on ps store right now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I know it sounds cute and it really was cute at first but my aussie has entered some kind of clingy phase and having a 50 lb dog constantly climbing into your lap gets old faster than you'd think

When I go to bed he climbs ONTO MY PILLOW and tries to lick my face, I've never closed the door to my bedroom to keep him out before but I'm getting close to doing it now

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CannonFodder posted:

TETSUOOOO!!!

KANEDAAAA!!!

:hmmyes:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1627047357920718857?s=46&t=kSpFVjgXzOmuj-eCPpOj-Q

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Good for him. I don't love Carter's politics but he's about as close as a president can be to a genuinely good person.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Shinji2015 posted:

Fushigi Yuugi is one of those shows (don't remember if I finished the manga) that I forget existed despite having been really into at the time.

Like, I'll see it mentioned out in the wild and I go, "oh yeah, FY!" and then forget about until the next time I see it mentioned again. Which is a drat shame, because it has some of the first queer representation I was exposed to that hadn't been edited (like in Sailor Moon)

I rewatched it recently and it's still really a lot of fun if even though some stuff really hasn't aged well at all (Tasuki hating women except for Miaka, Yui's entire story line, and almost all of Nakago's thing). Nuriko is still a great but very problematic queer 90s anime character at least. I do think Yuu Watase would handle Nuriko differently now, hopefully.

Ceres: Celestial Legend though, that's my edgy Yuu Watase jam that I haven't revisited since it definitely probably won't hold up as well as I remember it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I found Jameson puppy pics

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I rewatched it recently and it's still really a lot of fun if even though some stuff really hasn't aged well at all (Tasuki hating women except for Miaka, Yui's entire story line, and almost all of Nakago's thing). Nuriko is still a great but very problematic queer 90s anime character at least. I do think Yuu Watase would handle Nuriko differently now, hopefully.

Ceres: Celestial Legend though, that's my edgy Yuu Watase jam that I haven't revisited since it definitely probably won't hold up as well as I remember it.

I think I looked at Ceres and thought that it was some FY spinoff that I wasn't interested in at the time.

I'll have to revisit FY, but as far as I remember, Nuriko would be non-binary nowadays?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Probably.

Btw, they turned Fushigi Yuugi into a musical awhile back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgpvyVhZS28

Thinking back to old shoujo series, remember when Anno went from doing Eva to His and Her Circumstances? The show where the perfect guy starts dating the perfect girl because he learns her terrible secret that she puts on sweatpants when she goes home?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I think I’m just going to do it. I still have Yakuza 0 sitting there which I think I’m going to restart. I kinda bounced off when I hit the underground boxing club and realized I hadn’t spent enough time on real estate mechanics getting rich.

But I’ve been toying with DE for awhile and it’s 20$ on ps store right now

Just a warning, DE isn't the right game to play if you're dealing with dark thoughts/depression right now. It's uh, rough. Incredible, amazing, but rough.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

Just a warning, DE isn't the right game to play if you're dealing with dark thoughts/depression right now. It's uh, rough. Incredible, amazing, but rough.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m pretty used to dark themes (and real life situations). I haven’t had the best few months and I’ll make sure I’ll be aware if it’s affecting me.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Kalli posted:

Probably.

Thinking back to old shoujo series, remember when Anno went from doing Eva to His and Her Circumstances? The show where the perfect guy starts dating the perfect girl because he learns her terrible secret that she puts on sweatpants when she goes home?

Agreed, Nuriko would either be non-binary or genderfluid now. They switch it up a bit and even when Nuriko's not presenting fully female they still aren't in full on male presenting either. It would also be less yikes since Nuriko would not have the not great "well my dead sister was one the who wanted to be in the harem so I just completely adapted everything about her" backstory. Iirc, Nuriko does reincarnate as a girl but it's been a while since my rewatch and that's also not great.

I remember everyone telling me that Kare Kano was better in the manga since it was less about sweatpants making Yukino weak but her being a pretty lovely person underneath her perfect persona and learning to get cooler. I don't know though since I never read it or watched the anime.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kalli posted:

Probably.

lol yeah, I remember that one. Never finished it, but what I saw, it was an interesting dive into how much pressure the main characters were under to pretend to be perfect (to where just being seen in sweatpants was devastating to the female lead), and them learning that it was okay to be flawed... I kinda get why Anno went to that after Eva

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I’m pretty used to dark themes (and real life situations). I haven’t had the best few months and I’ll make sure I’ll be aware if it’s affecting me.

Him drinking himself to death is a recurrent joke/theme/consideration.

You can also learn a skill that gives you the option to commit suicide every night.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Him drinking himself to death is a recurrent joke/theme/consideration.

You can also learn a skill that gives you the option to commit suicide every night.

I mean that sort of all lines up with everything I encounter in daily professional life.

Sounds like an interesting ride.

ive got mental poo poo going on like anyone else but I’m not at all suicidal—I do appreciate the heads up, truly. my problem was/is kicking a low-level alcohol use disorder and dealing with a weird ennui of approaching middle age and dealing with all the parasocial and professional reassessments therein. honestly the game seems like a refreshing dig into some dark themes I’ll morbidly find satisfying?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I mean that sort of all lines up with everything I encounter in daily professional life.

Sounds like an interesting ride.

ive got mental poo poo going on like anyone else but I’m not at all suicidal—I do appreciate the heads up, truly. my problem was/is kicking a low-level alcohol use disorder and dealing with a weird ennui of approaching middle age and dealing with all the parasocial and professional reassessments therein. honestly the game seems like a refreshing dig into some dark themes I’ll morbidly find satisfying?

yeah it's fantastic. This conversation is making me redownload it for my flight from Japan to the states.

Also they just advised all passengers to use the bathroom before boarding due to expected turbulence :tif:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Also they just advised all passengers to use the bathroom before boarding due to expected turbulence :tif:

Oof. Goonspeed. Do they sell chux pads in a Hudson shop?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah it's fantastic. This conversation is making me redownload it for my flight from Japan to the states.

This whole thing smacks of Gender Fiz yells as he tips over his traytop and turns this flight into the Plane of poo poo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Agreed, Nuriko would either be non-binary or genderfluid now. They switch it up a bit and even when Nuriko's not presenting fully female they still aren't in full on male presenting either. It would also be less yikes since Nuriko would not have the not great "well my dead sister was one the who wanted to be in the harem so I just completely adapted everything about her" backstory. Iirc, Nuriko does reincarnate as a girl but it's been a while since my rewatch and that's also not great.

Oh yikes, I had completely forgotten about that subplot. A remake could modify it to make it less awful, but unless that version of Nuriko came out and said "I want to be a woman," reincarnating as one just so they could be with Emperor dude (which happened because he was hetero and the mangaka wanted to pair him and Nuriko together at the end) has to go.

Now I'm thinking about other older series with queer characters in them and how'd a remake would look. Like, with the new Urusei Yatsura remake and the Inuyasha sequel series, I feel like a Ranma 1/2 remake is coming, and that series is queer as hell in retrospect

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

Good luck my man. Keep it clenched.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Samadhi posted:

This whole thing smacks of Gender Fiz yells as he tips over his traytop and turns this flight into the Plane of poo poo

I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING SHITS ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Think tight thoughts my man.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh yikes, I had completely forgotten about that subplot. A remake could modify it to make it less awful, but unless that version of Nuriko came out and said "I want to be a woman," reincarnating as one just so they could be with Emperor dude (which happened because he was hetero and the mangaka wanted to pair him and Nuriko together at the end) has to go.

Now I'm thinking about other older series with queer characters in them and how'd a remake would look. Like, with the new Urusei Yatsura remake and the Inuyasha sequel series, I feel like a Ranma 1/2 remake is coming, and that series is queer as hell in retrospect

Nuriko's character arc is really the big thing that brings down Fushigi Yuugi on rewatch now and it always felt weird to me even as a teen. It kind of sucks to rewatch as an adult because I do miss that era of isekai anime that was aimed at teen girls since a lot of them are a lot more fun and generally better than modern isekai. I'd hope a remake would get at the points that make Fushigi Yuugi a ton fun but update it so at least Nuriko's plot is a lot better. There's no escaping Nakago's whole deal though.

Ranma 1/2 holds up way better than it has a right too and is super queer. Utena is probably my next foundational anime for my queer awakening rewatch and I fully expect to really be uncomfortable at the final arc. I also kind of want to rewatch Yami no Matsuei but that is absolute yaoi trash, no questions there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I do miss that era of isekai anime that was aimed at teen girls since a lot of them are a lot more fun and generally better than modern isekai.

I was recently introduced to the truly absurd number of women reincarnated into a character from a dating sim series and oh my god what delightful trash modern society has brought us.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I also kind of want to rewatch Yami no Matsuei but that is absolute yaoi trash, no questions there.

In high school I watched Earthian in my I will watch literally anything from glorious Nippon phase, and did not realize until the very explicit sex scene in the 3rd or 4th episode that it was a yaoi anime. And even then to my dumb 14 year old rear end I was just like, wow she has really small breasts, that's weird.

I also absolutely loved Ranma 1/2, got to college discovered so many other people who did, and then watched over the next decade as every one of them came out as trans.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its rare to see the birth of a new evergreen tweet:

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1627153570209595392?t=zmJ-f8AL68LFij6SoMHBIA&s=19

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

lol yeah, that one’s going to get a lot of mileage

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'm going to need to know the context for a full appreciation, even though it's true.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Whatever my wife Mina says is both funny and true no matter what.

Also
https://twitter.com/male_wife_/status/1626825132894199811?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fiz I wish you the best but I also kind hope you poo poo your pants I can’t decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are people shooting off fireworks