Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

honestly this just makes the brits look dumber than that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mlmp08 posted:

The SU-75 would have to actually exist. It’s not an airplane yet and has never flown. So no, you couldn’t buy it any more than you could buy anything else that doesn’t yet fly or function.

The country that was interested in SU-57s looked at it and decided they did not want it (India). And China is not interested in it.

The PRC developing its own aviation industry significantly and offering aircraft like the JF-17, plus the availability of F-16s have both been pretty harsh on Russia’s exports and thus ability to fund and produce real fighter aircraft.

This may shock you but almost every weapons system is bought before it is finished development, which is why there is money to develop it. Do you think Lockheed just spent a trillion of their own dollars on the F-35 and then the US decided to buy some?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering T72b3m losses, even doubting sources like oryx, that rate of replenishment isn't enough which implies that in this case a little more quality might help. APS should probably become a minimum standard even for the budget option. But im a layman so I'm probably missing the bigger picture in all the data and impressions.

I would argue that every peer conflict would result in significant losses. Remember the charts about how NATO expected 50% losses of *the whole militaries* in a week of fighting Soviets? APS is cool and Russians were the first to experiment with it in the old days but NATO tanks absolutely do not have it as standard, they're just starting to poke at it. It's probably quite expensive.

A thermal imager is probably the single most important upgrade a tank can have these days. They're expensive and hard to make, though.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

The BTR-90 with BMP-3 turret, 100mm gun and all, is p sick tho ngl.

e: Plus if they had done it, maybe we could get a modernized Cougar, which would also slap

(This, but on a modern LAV)

May I introduce you to the wonderful world of Cuban BTRs?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Algeria and India have more Mig 29s on order, and a bunch of nations are upgrading their fleets. Beyond Myanmar, Belarus (which still counts) and India are ordering Su-30s and Kazakhstan has had recent deliveries. Algeria is also ordering Su-34s.

Also, it was never actually confirmed the Su-35s going to Iran were actually just part of a swap but rather both sides are selling weapons to each other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This may shock you but almost every weapons system is bought before it is finished development, which is why there is money to develop it. Do you think Lockheed just spent a trillion of their own dollars on the F-35 and then the US decided to buy some?

A lot of customers didn’t commit to buying a single F-35 (or F-16 or MiG-29) until well after the F-35s flew or had been flying for years. Others didn’t commit or settle on numbers until after the US had flown them operationally for years.

Right now, there’s no real price for a SU-75 and it has never flown even a prototype. So no, you can’t really cross-shop the SU-75 over a SU-30 or SU-35 or F-16 or used plane unless you are willing to wait for an unknown amount of time and buy at an unknown price point.

Paying for development where you can back out != buying an aircraft.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zodium posted:

no matter how much the empire declined and rome became unsustainable to live in, the romans never rose up and overthrew the system. it never dramatically collapsed in a big cathartic moment. productive forces simply kept receding inexorably until the empire had withered away, ancient proto-goons lamenting its fall and foolishness the whole time, until even rome was barely a city at all. there's the same lamenting sentiment motivating certain parts of cspam discourse, a notion that the collapse of the economy or housing or the war or the biosphere must be imminent so a correction or at least final implosion can occur and, at last, free the world. a moment which never comes because empires are always running, and running is a state of perpetual falling; a moment which never comes because this is the collapse.

one day it will be like "oh the president is chinese now and the whitehouse is moving to panama? thats nice, we have piss to collect to do the wash so we cant talk very long but i hope he does something about all these feral dogs!"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

one day it will be like "oh the president is chinese now and the whitehouse is moving to panama? thats nice, we have piss to collect to do the wash so we cant talk very long but i hope he does something about all these feral dogs!"

Cute feral dogs? Doggos??

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

But 美利堅合眾國 will live on.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Cute feral dogs? Doggos??

Get a brick

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Feb 18, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m going to be the most annoying Canadian Tourist they’ve ever seen and demand to see these instead of listening to Quebecois radio and eating hamburgers on a resort.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Algeria and India have more Mig 29s on order, and a bunch of nations are upgrading their fleets. Beyond Myanmar, Belarus (which still counts) and India are ordering Su-30s and Kazakhstan has had recent deliveries. Algeria is also ordering Su-34s.

Also, it was never actually confirmed the Su-35s going to Iran were actually just part of a swap but rather both sides are selling weapons to each other.

Algeria: I did forget their MiG-29 vs SU-30 conflicts with Russia and contract negotations. They ordered ~30 aircraft. Algeria later got SU-30s instead of MiG-29s, because they entered into a dispute with Russia that the MiG-29s were poorly built and did not meet standards. The MiGs were returned to Russia to offset some deal for SU-30s. https://www.flightglobal.com/algeria-returns-faulty-mig-29s/78937.article

Algerian SU-34s: There is no deal to sell Algeria SU-34s. https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/27488-russia-denies-selling-su-34-fighter-jets-to-algeria

India: The Indian government is in debates/approval process to potentially approve two separate contracts, one which would upgrade SU-30s, but not take delivery of new SU-30s, AFAIK, and another contract that would buy about 33 aircraft and upgrade others. These would both provide significant cash infusion totalinga bout $6 billion to Russia if they get approved. But India passed on the SU-35 and announced it will pursue indigenous aircraft design.

Myanmar: Ordered 6 aircraft in 2021, 2 delivered so far.

It's not clear how many jets Belarus may have ordered. But yeah, I'm sure Belarus is buying Russian, not buying from Europe or China.

Russia's fighter jet production is generally in a bad way. Even if they land a large contract, instead of a 1-2 squadron deals here and there, they produce them very, very slowly. Russia produced about 30 total fighter jets for the VKS for all of 2022, spread between the SU-35, SU-30, and SU-34. Exports of the small contracts they do have are running behind schedule, even for refurbishing existing jets. Kazakhstan is a good example of that. Ordered about 32 aircraft in 2015, expected for delivery by 2020. They had received 2/3 of their purchase by 2021, and hoped to receive the rest by the end of 2022. Not sure if they got the rest by the end of 2022 or not.

There is potential to get a cash infusion if a lot of legacy SU-30 and MiG-29 customers pay Russia for upgrades, but new jet sales are real bad. And a lot of countries seem to be playing wait and see to determine if they even want to upgrade their older SUs and MiGs and, if so, if they want to do so through Russian firms.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Feb 18, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw the average production for the Russians since 2008 has been about 40 fighters a year and is highly dependent on waves of contracts (with some outliers bringing up the average).

The bottleneck is anything is state investment in UAC and that seems to be changing with the war.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Feb 18, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Btw the average production for the Russians since 2008 has been about 40 fighters a year and is highly dependent on waves of contracts.

Yeah, considering how many Russia needs for itself, this is a good example of why other buyers aren't so hot to buy new Russian. Upgrade existing fleets, sure, and that's not nothing. But Russian jet exports are pretty damned rough right now. Even for countries that do not buy American (or at least diversify between America and other suppliers), new build Russian jets aren't a terribly attractive offer compared with what the rest of the world has to offer. And when looking at recent deals, it's easy to find delays or straight up "return to sender" like Algeria.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what can a piloted plane do that a drone cant now? why even bother

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i mean obviously i want a human flying me around no air tesla but for war a wave of expendable crappy drones seems smarter than a f-35 that doesnt work and you are too afraid to use

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

The issue is going to probably be situational awareness and that a pilot in a plane is going to be able to act more directly than a operator and i don’t think AI tech is anywhere ready for combat especially if it is going to constantly acting reactively.

Modern UCAVs beyond experimental craft usually don’t have the capabilities of actual fighter jets especially when it comes to engines and radar. They would just be shot out of the sky.

In all honesty, Russian jet exports seem more or less how they have been a while, with smaller orders to geopolitically friendly states. Obviously, China probably isn’t buying more aircraft but at the same time it doesn’t seem total sales are aren’t that different. If anything the Russians would be doing better if they just bit the bullet and fully geared UAC but it will take a few years and it is another way that liberalism in the Kremlin has held the country back.

Also the deliveries of MiG 29m2 to Algeria was more recent, there is documented proof some have already been delivered.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Feb 18, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

not be jammed to gently caress would be one p important thing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

not be jammed to gently caress would be one p important thing

Yuri approaches

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm not going to watch Top Drone. Top Gun is a much more entertaining movie.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

:eyepop:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Broke: Steve Jail

Woke: Steve Russia

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
my 'stalin did nothing wrong' shirt has people asking a lot of questions about my loyalty already answered by my shirt

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Why yes, you could buy 3 Su-75s or 2,5 Su-57s for the cost of one F-35.
0 Su-75s exist. ~20 Su-57s exist. 800+ F-35 exist. Russian aircraft are vaporware.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
wait, what

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well two aren’t like the others

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
looks like its right all the way do..h.hey

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

say what you will about the right column but i dont see any hitler over there
:goonsay:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

separating WWII into two theaters :thunk:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ardennes posted:

Well two aren’t like the others

Indo-Pakistani wars and WW1 neutral, ACW left, everything else right. So 3? Unless there's something about the Indo-Pakistani wars I need to know about.

Although to be fair "support" is a bit much for Russia and DNR/LNR, but then "neutral" is a bit much too. I guess it's N/A.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo we've build 900 f-35s? I would have guessed in the high dozens

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al! posted:

looks like its right all the way do..h.hey

Same

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

honestly this just makes the brits look dumber than that guy

here's an old blogpost by adam curtis about the british intelligence community that echoes your conclusion:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/3662a707-0af9-3149-963f-47bea720b460

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

thats probably how many work at any one time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I kind of admire the Pakistan Army and would love to go on exchange to the National Defense University, but I suppose the column they're in tells me that's bad.

I also don't speak Urdu or anything close to it, so that would be a stretch.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this is very easy its right side all the way down except for ww1 hwich is neutral

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Budzilla posted:

0 Su-75s exist. ~20 Su-57s exist. 800+ F-35 exist. Russian aircraft are vaporware.

thanks for letting us know gbs guy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

Yeah, production has progressed a lot, but still isn't into full-rate production. Delays mean that only ~150 F-35s are being built per year, which is below the original goal.

Meanwhile, new F-16s will probably be built and delivered through the end of the 2020s, with F-16s probably flying until 2060 or so, barring nuclear wasteland or something. There are still orders out for 120+ new build F-16s and modernization orders for many hundreds more. F-16 production slowed due to rebasing manufacturing to make room for F-35 production, plus testing out the newest Block 70/72 model F-16s.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is very easy its right side all the way down except for ww1 hwich is neutral

I'm no fan of the failed confederate rebellion, myself.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

supporting the confederacy but only because they opposed the developing capitalism of the union. we must crush capitailsm.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the fascist north amerikkkan kkkapitali$$$t$$$ wnated to subjugate the people of the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Solidarity with the Global South