Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

misguided rage posted:

I've never played multiplayer as anything but co-op and I'm baffled that some people play it competitively.

Right! Your turns are already a well oiled machine; how does one find the time in the round to take a swipe at another player? The last man standing mode was always interesting to me but it always looked shaky on paper and I've never tried it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I dunno, slaving over your hand figuring out the best way to use it this turn is perhaps where I derive all the fun of that game. Of course, that only exacerbates the multiplayer problem of everyone spending inordinate amounts of time pondering their hands at all times while the active player performs their battle calculus.

I play it a lot more on tts where I don't have to do any setup. And once I figure out how to implement Lost Legion into Paladin's Oath I'll play it a lot more there too.

Nothing like trying to pre-plan your turn to save time, going over your cards... and then the available gems or stones or whatever change, and your whole plan falls apart because it hinged on using the powered up bottom half of a blue card, and there's no way to do that anymore because the other player just took that gem. So now that it's your turn, you've got people telling you "Hey why didn't you plan ahead of time, you're taking forever" and you're responding "I did. You took the drat blue crystal, so I have to think of a new plan."

misguided rage posted:

I've never played multiplayer as anything but co-op and I'm baffled that some people play it competitively.

I don't know how you'd do coop, you can't really work together that easily on tasks. It ends up a lot like Relic and Talisman to us, where it's basically 3 or 4 people functionally playing solo games with shared resources.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Uh well to begin with if you're coordinating then your whole first paragraph ceases to be a problem. But the expansion explicitly supports coop play with a big overpowered wandering enemy you need to group up and fight together. In the base game you could probably beef up the cities and do a joint assault, but really just get the expansion it has a bunch of other neat stuff too.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

There's also the Star Trek re-theme of Mage Knight that I kind of wanted to try at least once. What a weird license to put onto that game, which already had a weird license.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the holy poopacy posted:

that is, uh, not how I would describe Mage Knight

it's basically an abstract high-level view of a D&D murderhobo campaign, with individual adventures condensed down into puzzles to be solved with a hand of cards as you spend a few hours killing and looting your way across a countryside full of monsters and towns

it is indeed a really good game but it is an absolute beast to set up and play, to the point that it's probably best known as a solo game since it gets so unwieldy with additional players.

It also has probably two layers too many of mechanics to be fun. I really, really wanted to love it, but it was just crushed under its own weight.

If you want something in the same vein but is at a sane complexity level, find The City of Kings. It's mission-based, with campaign chapters and short scenarios depending on how long you want to go. You'll quickly learn the basic strength of enemies, but they get random abilities that shake up how you need to fight them.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm prolly one of the biggest Mage Knight stans around and even I will admit competitive Mage Knight is bad. Skill differentials are extremely punishing, there's zero catch up mechanisms at all, and the exponential power curve means once a player falls behind they will very quickly fall very far behind. All of a sudden all the easy map nodes are cleared, you can't reach anything valuable, and have no hope of clearing any battle without taking a dozen wounds, if you can win a battle at all. Not really a good situation 1 hour into what's likely going to be a 4+ hour game.

Lord help you if you're playing with PvP rules on top. At least Through The Ages has formal rules for conceding, MK just hangs you out to dry.

I've seen people argue that you can just play "friendly" competitive, but in that case just go ahead and play co-op. You can still compare fame counts at the end if you really care that much.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does anyone here know anything about or maybe even has played Minotaur? Link included because apparently there's multiple games just named Minotaur. It caught my eye while I was straightening shelves, and it looks right up my alley. BGG has essentially nothing about it though. I imagine it's a game with a small print run from a tiny publisher and isn't widely available or interesting to most people (especially when stuff like Frosthaven is around). It's only 30 bucks so I might give it a shot but I just was curious if anyone had played it or heard about it.

It looks like Bandido gussied up with hit points and loot, and I say that with love as a person who has bought and handed out Bandido to multiple new gamers over the years. I'd love to read a write-up if you wind up grabbing it!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If its still there on Tuesday, I'm going to grab it for sure.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I suddenly want to buy Caverna now that there's an expansion with orcs and trolls and poo poo coming out.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Per Mage Knight discussion, once in a while the thought hits me that I sure hope Vlaada is actually making another big game like was rumored a couple years ago.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Having kids almost exactly the same age as him, lmao getting anything ever done

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I'm pretty sure his kids are not exactly the same age as him.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.J. posted:

I suddenly want to buy Caverna now that there's an expansion with orcs and trolls and poo poo coming out.

Caverna expansions fixed the major issue of the game of no asymmetrical start. At least Agricola gave you a hand to work with.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone tried the caverna expansions? I'm interested in them but I only found the base game ok compared to the gric

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The weird races expansion did solve the asymmetry but i felt like it went way too far - each race was so focused that you really had to lean into the thing it did which meant that the game felt much less interesting.

My biggest gripe with the base game was having a huge number of buildings you had to consider coupled with having them be the same every game - it was super painful at the table when learning/teaching the game too. Became a lot less painful on TTS but still.

Last time we played we just picked 3 random races and swapped their buildings in and ignored the actual special races, and it wasn't bad.

I also want to try this at some point: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1128291/random-selection-goals-variant-variable-setup

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Impermanent posted:

Has anyone tried the caverna expansions? I'm interested in them but I only found the base game ok compared to the gric

da gric still goat but forgotten folk helps a lot with asym starts and pushing to diff strats

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just play AFfO+Norwegians and then have fun drawing crude symbols and pictures in the dust that gathers on top of all your other, vastly inferior, Uwe games.

Danes when?!?!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

no rosenberg after agricola has as vicious and hardscrabble an early- and mid-game and therefore I like them less. worker placements are at their best when you can anticipate the other players’ turns based on the straits they are in (because you threw them there yourself).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finally got around to playing the solo mode of Pixel Clash, a kickstarter game. Unfortunately it only sold 338 copies and there's no place to buy it now.

There are several difficulty modes, red dragon being very easy with 3 real players, and even 2h Solo is quite easy, with Red Dragon (the easiest, up to fighting a dragon swarm or mecha dragon being hardest) . There are five different dragons or so, and you collaborate with everyone to take down the dragon. I can attest that even 60 year old parents can figure this one out.

I'm currently trying to get the dev to sell the PnP online at least, or stick it on the gamecrafter or something, so others can buy it. I think it's a good buy for the price if it was available again. (£20 or $24 or €22.5)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MizuZero posted:

no rosenberg after agricola has as vicious and hardscrabble an early- and mid-game and therefore I like them less. worker placements are at their best when you can anticipate the other players’ turns based on the straits they are in (because you threw them there yourself).

Agricola is one of the most cutthroat worker placement games I've played, but ironically attracts people who think it's some sort of cute farm building game who then get completely massacred. It was such a deal that they made an entirely new "family edition" game.

I have never cleaned up as hard in any game as I have in Agricola. I've seen people end with 10 points. It's wild.

I think a lot of worker placement (or new games in general) moved away from this struggle-centric early game, in favor of the ~~blank canvas, do whatever feels fun~~ style where you never feel much pressure of loss or looming disaster, just varying degrees of efficiency. Agricola feels like you start in a ditch that's filling with muddy runoff and claw your way out one fist at a time to the sunlight above, flopping over the edge with bloody knuckles and hepatitis.

There's something appealing about that struggle, and then the elation of overcoming such stacked predicaments and cheating death yet again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Agricola is one of the most cutthroat worker placement games I've played, but ironically attracts people who think it's some sort of cute farm building game who then get completely massacred. It was such a deal that they made an entirely new "family edition" game.

I have never cleaned up as hard in any game as I have in Agricola. I've seen people end with 10 points. It's wild.

I think a lot of worker placement (or new games in general) moved away from this struggle-centric early game, in favor of the ~~blank canvas, do whatever feels fun~~ style where you never feel much pressure of loss or looming disaster, just varying degrees of efficiency. Agricola feels like you start in a ditch that's filling with muddy runoff and claw your way out one fist at a time to the sunlight above, flopping over the edge with bloody knuckles and hepatitis.

There's something appealing about that struggle, and then the elation of overcoming such stacked predicaments and cheating death yet again.

"if you can't lose the game on turn 1, why have turn 1?"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

homullus posted:

"if you can't lose the game on turn 1, why have turn 1?"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's a confusing way of saying "expect the unexpected"

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: GLOOMHAVEN HAS BEEN SLAYED :siren:

BGG Press Release posted:

Congratulations to Gavan Brown, Matt Tolman, Martin Wallace, and Roxley for Brass: Birmingham rising to the level of #1 ranked game in the BoardGameGeek database!

That said, I'll note that games tend to flip-flop in positions on the BGG rankings when the difference in the Geek Rating is less than a hundredth of a point, so Gloomhaven and Brass: Birmingham will likely swap spots for a while until...well, who knows?

It's not like any of these rankings are fixed in time or that a game lands in its "proper" spot and never moves again. The rankings don't indicate absolute greatness, but rather greatness for a good number of people who are fans of that particular game or game genre.

Gloomhaven, for example, isn't a game that casual game players will pick up on a whim, but rather an experience that calls out to those who might be interested in what it specifically offers. I don't fall into that bucket, so I'm unlikely to ever play the game, which means I'll never add my (likely low) rating to the game page. You could get a "proper" rating for a game only if you forced everyone in the world to play it and rate it — and coerced ratings probably aren't a reliable measure either, so let's not go there.

Rankings and ratings have meaning only insofar as your tastes match the tastes of others. Don't assume that all highly-ranked games are recommended for you, and don't avoid that low-rated game that seems like a perfect match for your tastes. You do you, boo.

I for one welcome our singular experience vs. massive campaign overlords.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Man even as someone who gave up all other board games to play Gloom exclusively for two straight years and is about to do the same for Frosthaven I still wouldn’t rank it the #1 board game of all time. The BGG list is worse than IMDB for recency bias.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's also the smaller set of people who

1. use bgg
2. Care enough to vote
3. Have played that game
4. Have voted for that game

So it's only as accurate as the most active of that community

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

djfooboo posted:

I am very happy for what I assume is a game about trumpet players in Alabama, and also for Cephalofair after they retake the top spot with Frosthaven, Sandhaven, Stonehaven, Starhaven, Sewerhaven and the inevitable series reboot Newhaven.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. use bgg
2. Care enough to vote
3. Have played that game

I use BGG to track games I have, games I want, and only sometimes games I've played. I use it to find new games and get a feel for what the best games are. I've never rated a game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. use bgg
2. Care enough to vote
3. Have played that game

I laughed when people started posting their recommendations based off that googledocs thing itt and realised it was completely worthless to me, as I don't rate games on BGG.

Like for sure grats on Brass for getting there, but that's only cause it's gonna be swapped out with Frosthaven.
Brass is a game I think I'd like for my collection, but I wouldn't buy it for myself at this point.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm gonna make Brasshaven: Gloomingham and take the top spot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If anyone's curious, apparrently only seven other games have ever been ranked #1. Most of them are notable classics and mega hits. Also, Paths of Glory is on there which I don't think I'd ever heard of.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Father Wendigo posted:

I am very happy for what I assume is a game about trumpet players in Alabama, and also for Cephalofair after they retake the top spot with Frosthaven, Sandhaven, Stonehaven, Starhaven, Sewerhaven and the inevitable series reboot Newhaven.

I was in the swamps of Reddit earlier, saw this news, and read some reference to people review bombing Frosthaven (and thus potentially Gloomhaven) because it's woke?

I've played like five scenarios of JotL and that's been it for me in the *Haven world, so I have no idea as to the truth of the claim.

I was underimpressed with JotL, at least the little I played, so I'm extending that to GH, and I am happy to see one of my favorite games take the top spot...which it has lost already, as of about half an hour ago when I looked at BGG rankings. Figures, it would come into the spotlight when it was out of print. Maybe this'll spur Roxley into a quick print run.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Magnetic North posted:

If anyone's curious, apparrently only seven other games have ever been ranked #1. Most of them are notable classics and mega hits. Also, Paths of Glory is on there which I don't think I'd ever heard of.

It's on my shelf, unplayed :'(

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I love Paths of Glory, but it's a moderately heavy war game, and I'm pretty sure it's only on the list because it was their first number one when they were still working out the algorithm, and didn't last long before it was dethroned.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://cyberwizardgames.com/products/catharsis-board-game

Bas anyone played this?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know what's more annoying: teaching Twilight Struggle to my 6yo who begged me to let her play it, or losing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't know what's more annoying: teaching Twilight Struggle to my 6yo who begged me to let her play it, or losing.

Lol, I once talked up TS to a friend, finally convinced him to play it (hadn’t played it myself, just knew the rules), figured I could headline the Olympics on turn 2, his headline went off before mine, dropped DEFCON to 2, and forced DEFCON suicide on me. I imagine your defeat was similar.

It’s not a hard game to play, especially if someone’s doing the math for you. But to play it well…

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
throwing Gloomhaven in the trash and burning frosthaven because if you ain’t 1st you’re last

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Looking at this #1 business made me realize that a new Puerto Rico was released that changes the setting to be less problematic. Somehow I missed that it was in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

armorer posted:

Looking at this #1 business made me realize that a new Puerto Rico was released that changes the setting to be less problematic. Somehow I missed that it was in the works.

I had heard about it, but I have to wonder whether the gameplay is significantly improved enough to give up, say, RftG for PR 1897 (IIRC the new game).