Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I mean, carriers have sold phones before that never got a single update period. So, it doesn't seem much different.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay, after a couple of weeks of waffling it is now officially official. i just bought the pixel 7, thus making it the very first flagship phone that i'll own. :bubblewoop:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have a local mobile provider that basically bought ATTs subcontracter for the island so I have to go through a million hoops to get phone upgrades when I could normally just go through samsung directly if we were still under ATT. But still $200 dollars when I trade in my 21 ultra and the memory upgrade is not a bad deal even if I miss out on a few extras.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, after a couple of weeks of waffling it is now officially official. i just bought the pixel 7, thus making it the very first flagship phone that i'll own. :bubblewoop:

Aside from the Samsung Note 3 in 2013 its probably the best new 'flagship' phone I've owned.

My only gripe and I've "fixed it" recently is the fingerprint reader is a little slow. I used to lift my finger on and off to get it to work but really just press your thumb into it and it is much more accurate. It was tough coming from the best scanner ever (Pixel 5) but I've gotten used to it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got the Pixel 6a in that I ordered for my Dad and a small part of me is actually considering stealing it and giving him my 6 instead, but the larger part of me wants to keep the better camera. The 6a is a nice size, and actually much closer to being able to comfortably use one-handed than my 6. I put the same case on the 6a as I have on my 6 (Spigen Liquid Air) and it feels good in my hand, and would be easier to get in and out of my pocket. If the cameras were identical I think I'd be hard-pressed to choose between them.

Well, the lack of wireless charging is a minus on the 6a, but I also added a wireless charging adapter so that isn't a big concern. It makes the case have a slight bulge but that's about it.

cats
May 11, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have a local mobile provider that basically bought ATTs subcontracter for the island so I have to go through a million hoops to get phone upgrades when I could normally just go through samsung directly if we were still under ATT. But still $200 dollars when I trade in my 21 ultra and the memory upgrade is not a bad deal even if I miss out on a few extras.

Sounds similar to my problem - I went to ATT this week to sign up as a new customer (get discount through work) and trade in my S21. They said they couldn't port my number because I currently use Straight Talk with ATT towers, so I'm neither a new nor existing customer. So I'm trying to get a month on one of t-mobiles cheap prepaid plans and then go directly to ATT the next day. Of course late last night I realized that pre-orders and bonuses end on the 16th so now I'm scrambling and hoping this plan works.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I found out yesterday I am getting a Pixel 5 to replace my Sony :toot: my partner had a timely Pixel 4 death and Google is replacing it with a 5 for free, so I'm the beneficiary of their dodgy hardware :getin:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Play Store is just getting worse and worse for me. The amount of times I go to open an app and it tells me theres an update is crazy. I have to periodically check the store myself to see if there are updates, and theres always a dozen or more. I'm basically always on wifi, but I just changed it to update over any network as data is no longer a concern.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I get a notification to update apps almost every day, but in the morning when I'm at work and not on Wi-Fi. If I mute the notification for a few hours, it doesn't come back until the next day, same time. So I just leave it bothering me until I get home.

But, I randomly get updates that were released months ago. Like, just now I got an update from December. Usually not a big deal, but sometimes it's a security app I use (password manager, VPN) that I would like to be up to date. Of the others, 50% of the updates came out in mid-January and I'm kinda okay with that at this point.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 17, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

codo27 posted:

Play Store is just getting worse and worse for me. The amount of times I go to open an app and it tells me theres an update is crazy. I have to periodically check the store myself to see if there are updates, and theres always a dozen or more. I'm basically always on wifi, but I just changed it to update over any network as data is no longer a concern.

My favorite thing is when an app tells me there's an update, I go to the Play Store and the description includes the update, but the Play Store just has an "Open" button, not an "Update" button. So I have to go clear the cache and hope that works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Believe me, Apple is worse. My iPad mini almost never auto updates apps and when I go to queue them up manually, each update takes like 2 minutes to download on 500mbps fiber.

My pixel just auto updates itself when I charge every night, I've almost never noticed an app out of date.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

codo27 posted:

Play Store is just getting worse and worse for me. The amount of times I go to open an app and it tells me theres an update is crazy.
you get a pop up from the app that says it needs to be updated? what does it look like? i can't remember that happening to me. i pretty much never open the store but everything stays updated automatically

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just opened one of my fast food apps and the app itself stopped in its tracks and told me to update before proceeding. When I went to the play store I had 15 updates pending. Then after telling it to go through with it and checking again, there were still 8. Google gets worse by the day

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That's so strange. I have 3 apps that are pending update, their updates came out: 1 updated yesterday, 1 two days ago and 1 Jan 16th. Play store says I have 348 apps and games installed (I never uninstall anything, don't judge me) and a dozen of them updated yesterday and more the day before that. I open the play store once every couple weeks to find a new game and give up usually after a minute of looking through garbage so I'm not triggering it inadvertently.

I wonder why your phones are acting like that. I have an s21 for what it's worth. My phone does a thing where it puts apps to sleep if I don't open them in a while and Google play is not on that list, not sure if that is an Android or Samsung feature, if the former then maybe something to check

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

butt dickus posted:

you get a pop up from the app that says it needs to be updated? what does it look like? i can't remember that happening to me. i pretty much never open the store but everything stays updated automatically

I've only gotten it in the game that grabs all of my attention I play if I skip updating it a few times and it requires the update to connect to their servers. But I get pop-ups letting me skip the update for a while before it locks me out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is the *only* way to search Spotify on Android Auto via voice search? (other than fishing your phone out and doing that which is pointless)

It's so hopelessly bad and takes like 10 seconds per query to produce a result.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mine just grabs app updates whenever it drat well pleases, and apparently it's none of my business.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Is the *only* way to search Spotify on Android Auto via voice search? (other than fishing your phone out and doing that which is pointless)

It's so hopelessly bad and takes like 10 seconds per query to produce a result.

Just read that they're rolling out an update to allow you to search with the keyboard, but only when the vehicle is at a stop.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

codo27 posted:

I just opened one of my fast food apps and the app itself stopped in its tracks and told me to update before proceeding. When I went to the play store I had 15 updates pending. Then after telling it to go through with it and checking again, there were still 8. Google gets worse by the day

I've been getting the same thing lately. The phone sits on a wireless charger on wifi all night (and is on wifi most of the day).

Just opened the play store while writing this and there are 37 apps waiting to be updated. Many are from 1-2 weeks ago, if that date is to be believed.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
drat, thos s23 ultra is super smooth and fast af. Still getting use to the weight and thickness compared to the note 9. Also, put the fingerprint scanner back on the back

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

fyallm posted:

Also, put the fingerprint scanner back on the back

Absolutely

not

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Pixel 7 automatically installs all app updates every time it's on a charger. This is how all Pixels have behaved for me, for years. I never have longstanding pending updates not installing. Wtf are some of you doing with your phones??

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've noticed a difference in how Google Play Store updates work, but part of that seems to be that my apps are getting updated a lot more frequently than they used to.

My Pixel 6 is always on silent, but I will get very mild notification vibrations from it that took me a while to figure out. 99% of the time if I get one of these ghostly notifications (there's no trace of them anywhere I can find) if I check the Play Store I have updates waiting. It'll also auto-update while charging, but I've gotten used to checking for Play Store updates with some frequency.

I checked just now and had 18 updates waiting, and they're currently installing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Like, just now I got an update from December. Usually not a big deal, but sometimes it's a security app I use (password manager, VPN) that I would like to be up to date.

Oh, hey, just got a 4 month old update to my password manager!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Pixel 7 automatically installs all app updates every time it's on a charger. This is how all Pixels have behaved for me, for years. I never have longstanding pending updates not installing. Wtf are some of you doing with your phones??

I have automatic updates turned off. I like to read what the update is. But, seeing how little I actually read that instead of hitting "update all", I guess I'd be okay turning that back on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am another schmuck who was duped into buying trash Google hardware. This is what I have this trouble on. Please don't buy anything Google

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know man, I have a stock Pixel 6 Pro. Auto updates setting is on. Nothing fancy like VPN or whatever, just regular boring usage.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so seems my pixel 7 came in waay earlier than expected, so that's kind of nice

for those of you who have done any trade-ins with pixels, is there a time limit you have to send your old one back to google?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

incogneato posted:

I don't know man, I have a stock Pixel 6 Pro. Auto updates setting is on. Nothing fancy like VPN or whatever, just regular boring usage.

Huh, I do have the Duckduckgo tracker blocking active, which functions like a self-contained VPN - I wonder if that might affect how my updates work?

As far as I'm concerned it's fine - I have no problems with any apps or updates. I was just sharing what I've noticed about the weird ghost notifications I get and apparently increased frequency of updates. I have no complaints about it. :shrug:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Mr Interweb posted:

for those of you who have done any trade-ins with pixels, is there a time limit you have to send your old one back to google?

Yeah whatever estimated value they quoted you for your trade in is only valid for a certain period of time. I believe it's 30 days, but they'll also send you an email reminder if you're getting close to the shipping cutoff to get it to them in time. You can still send it in after that time, but they might reappraise it at current market value.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Resdfru posted:

Absolutely

not

Why not? My pointer finger is already on the back and its so much more convenient

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Endless debate that is. Just search fingerprint front or back in this thread and you'll find a dozen pages of debate on it.

Fi shipped my 2 s23u phones. But apparently from different starting points cause both were supposed to be here today and 1 arrived but the other one has a weather exception with no indication of when it will actually be delivered :saddumb:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got my S23+ yesterday and it's great but it restarted unprompted overnight and just now in front of me while I wasn't using it, should I be worried?

Nothing is installing or updating and auto-optimazation is off, I just look down and the big SAMSUNG GALAXY text comes on screen and I have enter my password because I can use it because it restarted

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 18, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got my S23+ yesterday and it's great but it restarted unprompted overnight and just now in front of me while I wasn't using it, should I be worried?

Nothing is installing or updating and auto-optimazation is off, I just look down and the big SAMSUNG GALAXY text comes on screen and I have enter my password because I can use it because it restarted

Yikes, yea that would worry me. Sometimes I'll have reboots when it gets too hot or just gets locked up and uses too much ram or something. But that's infrequent, like once or twice a year.

The only time I can remember random regular reboots was back when I did custom roms and that was just part of life. No gps and my phone rebooting into a boot loop every hour

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Looks like some people on reddit have the same issue and they can't figure it out either so???

It's not hot, not playing anything or connected to any devices, battery was at 75 percent when it rebooted in front of me

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Some people including two friends of mine had their more recent Galaxy phones suddenly factory reset on them. Definitely a wakeup call to always have backups.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The reboot code must make up the extra 45gb of OS size on Galaxy phones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah the s23s seem to be a bit of a loving mess this year

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I just don't understand why people buy anything other than a Pixel or iPhone.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

amenenema posted:

I just don't understand why people buy anything other than a Pixel or iPhone.

I've had s7, s8, note 10, and s21

I've literally never had any issues that made me regret that

Bout to have an s23 so maybe that will change, but depending on how the issue is handled, if it affects me, I'll probably keep on Samsunging cause I like em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah I’ve had S7, S10+ and S21 Ultra. My wife has had Note 3(?), Note 9 and now S22 Ultra. No complaints about any of those.

The storage inflation is one crazy thing about this year and now the random reboots and I saw one post that was like “ANYBODY ELSES 23 ULTRA COME OUT THE BOX BENT” like what in the world.