Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

In the weeds, watching you post
I've never kept danios, but can confirm Black Skirts (which is what those guys are based on) can be turds in smaller schools. More will help but definitely wait a bit.

Secretly I find a lot of the neon Glofish set-ups neat, I kind of want some of the cories but don't tell the biotope people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been to like seven pet shops
Only one of them stocks the danios, and I have yet to see any with the corys, though one did at least have an active sku sticker out for them

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Are there any snail-sperts around? I acquired a 20 gallon over the weekend and stocked it with some wood and plants from a local store while it cycles. I pulled an adult trumpet snail out and put it in its own little tank, along with what I assume are its “eggs” but I am not sure if I missed some or not and noticed these dudes this morning.

Theres 2 more of the little ones I pulled out as well that are sitting off frame. Obviously its super hard to tell the variety but are these juvenile trumpets or some other breed? Its hard to tell but the smaller ones look like the bigger one but just tiny.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 15, 2023

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Those are either pond snails or bladder snails. As with most of those “pest” snails; they’re generally harmless and will eat leftover food/detritus in your tank, but they can be kinda ugly. The plants/driftwood you bought almost certainly had snail eggs on them.

They’re also incredibly hardy and breed very easily. By the time you notice one grown snail, there’s probably like a hundred eggs in your tank already. You can set up snail traps with things like lettuce or whatever and manually remove the snails feeding on it, but that doesn’t get rid of the eggs.

There’s also the option of getting something that eats snails like an assassin snail, but your tank is still cycling, and stocking the tank with something solely to control pest snails isn’t sustainable in the long term.

If you really really want them gone you can nuke your tank with something toxic to invertebrates like copper, but that may make the tank inhospitable to invertebrates you might actually want in the future, like shrimp or larger snails like nerites.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Oh sweet. I’ll just leave them in. Eventually when the tank is ready I want to put some shrimps or crabs or some other weird thing in so I’ll just leave it as natural as possible.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

Hard to be positive from the pictures, but from their tentacles I would say bladder snails -- if you see little yellow spots on them that's the giveaway -- and unlike pond snails they shouldn't bother living plants. I have all kinds of "pest" snails in my tanks (ramshorn, trumpet, bladder) and like 'em just fine as surprise pets. A huge population can be a helpful indication of over-feeding and they're also the gateway drug to collecting mystery snails.

Shrimp are great, fan shrimp are my favourites but my amanos and cherries have always been bomb-proof. I've no experience with crabs or crayfish but as my multi-tank-syndrome progresses I'm sure I'll end up with both at some point.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

Treat-worm day. The cories don't know exactly what's going on but they're positive they're excited about it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I was always fond of my bladder snails because of the way they casually float up and down in the water column.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Awesome, thanks! I am super excited, I wanted to get a colony of the orange rili neocardinia going, along with some pom poms and maybe a vampire shrimp to be the “ruler” of the tank.

Picture of the tank in question that we set up over the weekend.

The plants have melted quicker than I expected but I assume they’ll come back eventually:unsmith:.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

Yeah, I like their "dives" and their habit of floating upside-down on the water surface mucking with the duckweed I'll never be entirely rid of (but somewhat appreciate for its unmatched nitrate-sucking abilities).

Very nice tank, digging the wood arch! I've wasted plenty of time watching my fan shrimp doing their thing in the flow but I'd be jealous of a vampire -- my local store almost never has them. Plants and I mostly have an understanding, but some of the ones described as difficult flourish in my water when I can't keep hornwort alive in my betta's tank to save my life. I got nothin'.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've noticed that over time, the mystery snails out compete the pond snails, if they're slightly under fed. Just guessing that the mystery snails graze the pond snail eggs off surfaces.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

As soon as I saw this I know I had to share it here. Just amazing.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Snail tip: trumpet snails give birth to live young. So their population grows slowly but relentlessly and in my experience is limited by the extra available minerals that they need for their stronger thicker shells.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MagpieConcept posted:

You got your catfish in my axolotl!

That is loving adorable. What kind of fish?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

MagpieConcept posted:

NO EAT! ONLY THROW!

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

MagpieConcept posted:

He looks so profoundly stupid I love him

I had to go track down the original post to find out what he is, apparently a Fisher's driftwood catfish named Flapjack.

Stoca Zola posted:

Snail tip: trumpet snails give birth to live young. So their population grows slowly but relentlessly and in my experience is limited by the extra available minerals that they need for their stronger thicker shells.

I didn't realize I even had trumpet snails until one day I looked closely at one of my darker tanks and noticed the entire substrate was moving. Moment of confused horror until I realized what it was.

Lurking Loach fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2023

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Lurking Loach posted:

He looks so profoundly stupid I love him

I had to go track down the original post to find out what he is, apparently a Fisher's driftwood catfish named Flapjack.

Thank you, I was trying to track that down all day but I'm not familiar enough with reddit's layout, RIP.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

NO EAT! ONLY THROW!

This is perfect.

Per cat: feed me attention!
No! No touch!
Only look.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sweet, celestial pearl danios are in stock at aqua huna in sets of 8.

What could I safely put with them? 15g tank with plants that’s just about done cycling. Nitrites started dipping two days ago.

Maybe a betta or something else? Does it matter what order?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does my fluval flex with built in filtration require a separate bubbler? I’d imagine no but figured I should ask.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nwin posted:

Does my fluval flex with built in filtration require a separate bubbler? I’d imagine no but figured I should ask.

why would it need a bubbler? What are you hoping to accomplish?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok Comboomer posted:

why would it need a bubbler? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Kids ending up seeing guppies at the store and some websites say guppies require one to oxygenate the water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nwin posted:

Kids ending up seeing guppies at the store and some websites say guppies require one to oxygenate the water.

nah, you’ll be fine with the internal power head. If you want to agitate the water a bit to encourage more gas exchange you can always point the outflow nozzle up to create a little splashy zone

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Synthbuttrange posted:

my founding population of 6 red cherry shrimp started a colony that survived for 3-4 years with some really deformed shrimp at the end then the population dramatically crashed to near nothing.

Yeah, Cherrys usually breed till they're sterile. I made it a habit of buying a new batch of ten every year from different sellers to widen the gene pool and keep them going

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stoca Zola posted:

Cloudy water mystery: I prepare 100 Lt +60 Lt of water at a time and waterchange multiple tanks with each batch. The last two water changes I've done, one of the three tanks that were water changed has become really cloudy after wards while the other two have been fine. So it's not the source water, and it really looks like a bacterial bloom or something. But I had an alternative idea, what if the fish spawn and jizz up the water? Or it could be the three Raphael catfish getting frisky and excavating their caves.

It clears up fairly quickly.

Edit: trying to add a second pic from my phone

An hour later

I had a tank do that before. It simply hadn't cycled properly and every water change started the process over again. I left it alone for a few weeks and the cloudiness stopped

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

SocketWrench: this tank has 3 filters and has been running for years! I can't believe it would lose cycle just from a water change, I'm due to do one again so I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Nwin: oxygenation in the sense of a body of water like an aquarium is dependent on surface agitation of the water/air interface. A vigorous airstone can achieve this, but aiming a power head at the surface can also do it, or having the filter outlet high enough that it splashes back into the tank, or a hang on back filter often disturbs the surface quite well. A flat still aquarium can deoxygenate quite quickly. The advantages of airstones is that they lift water from the bottom of the tank to the surface and can help vertical circulation, and its not a bad idea to place a bubbler in a dead zone in your tank to help keep things moving. It doesn't matter which method you choose to ensure your tank is oxygenated as long as you're seeing that movement at the surface. Air pumps can be noisy, and so can splashy filter returns but you might find that you like that noise! Moving bubbles can look cool or some people hate them because they look unnatural. It's all personal preference really.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

My initial group of 5 CPDs spawned more on there own when just left alone in a planted tank. There is now 8 more individuals that have grown to small adolescent size. So that's cool.

One of the original fish got what looked like an infection around one eye with it bulging out and a red ring around it. I tried moving it to a separate quarantine tank with the temp at 76F and some salt added, one tsp per gal, to fight infections. It eventually lost that eye and now its other one is starting to swell up. So less cool.

nwin posted:

Sweet, celestial pearl danios are in stock at aqua huna in sets of 8.

What could I safely put with them? 15g tank with plants that’s just about done cycling. Nitrites started dipping two days ago.

Maybe a betta or something else? Does it matter what order?
When I ordered celestial pearl danios from them only 6 arrived and one died, which is why I started with 5. At first they weren't eating the dry food I had so I fed them frozen baby brine shrimp until they grew up a bit.

I heard a theory that when keeping a betta with other fish it is better to add the betta to an established community tank. That way the betta is going into a new space where other fish are already living instead of other fish "invading" the betta's established territory. No idea how correct that is it sounds right.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I just picked up one of those CO2 reactor kits from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095YXMFBS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It's basically a science fair volcano in a metal tube. I haven't run into any leaks with the cylinder or the air line and the diffuser seems to work well enough so I'm happy with it so far. I'm hoping it'll help with making my ludwigia repens more vibrant and maybe turn my cabomba a little bit purple. Gonna look into getting a CO2 drop checker today so I don't accidentally kill everything by dosing too much.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

nwin posted:

Nah, the flex has quite a significant flow coming out of the nozzles. You'll have a tough time not getting lots of current and circulation. Guppies do fine without an air stone in mine

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

That's some nice variegation on that pothos!

I like having a sponge filter in every tank, but it's largely because we get frequent power outtages and I have battery-powered air pumps for them. They can also be nice in tanks with fish/floating plants that prefer less current/surface agitation (and my shrimp love 'em), but for your guppies you should be just fine with what you've got. Unless you get all males, before long you'll probably be worrying more about the breeding explosion than any oxygenation issues, lol

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Day two with the fish in my tank and they seem happy but very hungry. They’re constantly at the top of the tank looking for more food. I’m trying to limit the amount two twice a day and only what they can realistically eat in 2-3 minutes, just using tropical flakes for 4 guppies.

I tested and all my levels are at zero so that’s good, but the tank looks a little cloudy. The water just isn’t as polished as I’d like. I’ve got two Anubias plants in there and am limiting light to about 8 hours a day and they seem fine so far.

I’m wondering-and soliciting-for tips about when I should be able to add more fish and what I should get. Still thinking about the CPD, but am open to other bottom/mid level swimmers. Also curious about what other plants I should add.

Here’s a current picture. Please disregard the gigantic skull my son picked. We’re trying to find something/anything better than that.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the gigantic skull is nothing to be ashamed of

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I stocked my tank over the weekend with the help of a fish stores seeded filter.

About a dozen orange rilis, 10 or so pygmy corydoras, 10 cardinal tetras, and 6 gold tetras. The corys and the gold tetras school together and the cardinals kinda hang out by themselves, but occasionally I’ve seen them all form a giant supergroup to do laps of the tank. The skrimp and the corys are loving the immense amount of biofilm everywhere.

Lurking Loach
Feb 13, 2023

nwin posted:

Day two with the fish in my tank and they seem happy but very hungry. They’re constantly at the top of the tank looking for more food. I’m trying to limit the amount two twice a day and only what they can realistically eat in 2-3 minutes, just using tropical flakes for 4 guppies.

I tested and all my levels are at zero so that’s good, but the tank looks a little cloudy. The water just isn’t as polished as I’d like. I’ve got two Anubias plants in there and am limiting light to about 8 hours a day and they seem fine so far.

I’m wondering-and soliciting-for tips about when I should be able to add more fish and what I should get. Still thinking about the CPD, but am open to other bottom/mid level swimmers. Also curious about what other plants I should add.

Here’s a current picture. Please disregard the gigantic skull my son picked. We’re trying to find something/anything better than that.

Begging constantly is the fish way, and my endlers are particularly great at forgetting they've eaten minutes after having been fed. I like to fatten up newly purchased fish for a few days and then ease off to my normal schedule (every other day), but there's no hard rule. I would suggest that if you're feeding flakes three times a day you could definitely stand to cut back on the 2-3 minute goal, especially in a newly cycled tank, but as long as you're keeping a close watch on your levels you'll figure out what works for you. Don't be afraid of eventually letting them fast for a day, healthy fish are fine with missing the odd meal and in an established tank there's often plenty of tiny things for small fish to forage for.

I can't quite tell from your picture, but anubias rhizomes should be uncovered or they risk rotting. You can attach them to stones, driftwood, etc. and they'll grow quite happily even without their roots in substrate. As for other plants, there are lots of options. More anubias, crypts, smaller vallisneria, java fern (keep these out of the substrate as well), rotala (stick with the cheaper varieties, as in a low-tech set-up you likely won't achieve the super reds and oranges of the more purpose-bred cultivars), hornwort, bacopa, mosses, floating plants, etc. At this point avoid anything that mentions requiring CO2 or heavy feeding. As far as the fish and aquarium are concerned, you can never have too many plants and it'll all come down to what you like and want to deal with in terms of pruning.

And nothing wrong with a good skull, the fish don't care!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lurking Loach posted:

Begging constantly is the fish way, and my endlers are particularly great at forgetting they've eaten minutes after having been fed. I like to fatten up newly purchased fish for a few days and then ease off to my normal schedule (every other day), but there's no hard rule. I would suggest that if you're feeding flakes three times a day you could definitely stand to cut back on the 2-3 minute goal, especially in a newly cycled tank, but as long as you're keeping a close watch on your levels you'll figure out what works for you. Don't be afraid of eventually letting them fast for a day, healthy fish are fine with missing the odd meal and in an established tank there's often plenty of tiny things for small fish to forage for.

I can't quite tell from your picture, but anubias rhizomes should be uncovered or they risk rotting. You can attach them to stones, driftwood, etc. and they'll grow quite happily even without their roots in substrate. As for other plants, there are lots of options. More anubias, crypts, smaller vallisneria, java fern (keep these out of the substrate as well), rotala (stick with the cheaper varieties, as in a low-tech set-up you likely won't achieve the super reds and oranges of the more purpose-bred cultivars), hornwort, bacopa, mosses, floating plants, etc. At this point avoid anything that mentions requiring CO2 or heavy feeding. As far as the fish and aquarium are concerned, you can never have too many plants and it'll all come down to what you like and want to deal with in terms of pruning.

And nothing wrong with a good skull, the fish don't care!

Thanks! I had no idea about the rhizomes and I did bury them in the substrate so I’ll have to fix that. Maybe I put them on the skull!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just males? You're not going to fill every available space with babies that way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok so for ponds that periodically get down to 32F, extended periods below 50F these plants/fish seem to be cold hard based on my experience. Pod had some very light icing once, and it's been floating between 65 and 40 pretty much since thanksgiving, which uh, probably describes most weather in the lower half of the US

Golden Killifish
Rosy Red minnows
Ricefish (medaka)
Goldfish

plants

Java Fern Microsorum pteropus
Anacharis Elodea Egeria Densa
Willow Moss Fontinalis Antipyretica
Java Moss Vesicularia Dubyana
Christmas Moss Vesicularia Montagnei
Hornwort
Amazon Sword
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Nanji
Kleiner Sword
Vallisneria

NOT cold hardy:

mystery snails

Water Hyacinth
water lettuce

Ricefish and goldfish do great right down to 32F you'll see them swimming around near the surface looking for food. I am super, super pleased with these fish, they're constantly active, pretty to look at and stay near the surface almost always. Probably going to order more in the future. I see why they're so popular in japan now.

The various mosses are doing GREAT I feel like they've quadrupled in size over the winter. An easy way to grow the moss is to just superglue it to the inside of a masonry brick with the holes facing up. I went from about 12 oz of moss to, I dunno I must have three gallons of moss now in my pond/tank thing now

Anacharis Elodea has really multiplied as well. I went from about six "sticks" of it about a foot long each, to, there must be twenty scattered around the pond

Most of the rest of the plants are mostly just hanging on in cold weather, but don't seem to be unhealthy, just uh, dormant

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

wow that's really surprising to hear about all those plants being cold hardy. I yanked all the jungle val out of my pond and put it in the guppy tank for the winter, I have a cold hardy water lily that lives in plain kitty litter at the bottom of a patio tub year round, but I pull the mystery snails and guppies, along with most all of the other plants for winter. I'll try leaving more in next year.

Salvinia doesn't do well in winter here either. Same as water lettuce / hyacinth.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So... I guess they've ACTUALLY been breeding in secret, I just haven't seen the fry until now... and they aren't newborn fry either. I got them last month on the 15th and today I found a really small cory with adult coloration that was half the size as the others. That means they must've bred successfully shortly after I put them in since I've looked it up and they only get their adult coloration at a month old. I'm just really poo poo at finding fry I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Did my cardinal tetras eat too much, get some weird disease, or get neon tetra disease somehow? I didnt notice them like this earlier today and I dont want to spread any weird disease to my other aquatic friends. Also do colorful fish lose a little bit of color when they sleep? I had their light off for about an jour earlier and came back to check on them and they seemed duller, but eventually got back to their regular red and blue. Thanks, I havent had fish before so I am a little paranoid about things.

Water parameters are good as well.