Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Just checked and the weather condition will say Cloudy if it's cloudy. Maybe do a regex match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Do we talk about cases in here? Just got the Bullstrap case for my 14 Pro. Case on the left is for the 14P, one on the right is my 13P’s case after 16 months of daily use, was originally the same color as the 14P’s case.

Picked up the South Beach case for my mom as well.

South Beach case is neat lol, wish they made a green leather too.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Sometimes when I'm on my Windows desktop I take a screenshot or something and want to iMessage it to someone. What I usually do is email it to myself then open the email on my iPhone and copy the image from there to a message. This seems ridiculously luddite, is there a better way? I tried using iCloud on Windows but it wasn't the kind of 'instant zap-from-desktop-to-phone' that I want. Can I mount a network drive on the iPhone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mik posted:

Sometimes when I'm on my Windows desktop I take a screenshot or something and want to iMessage it to someone. What I usually do is email it to myself then open the email on my iPhone and copy the image from there to a message. This seems ridiculously luddite, is there a better way? I tried using iCloud on Windows but it wasn't the kind of 'instant zap-from-desktop-to-phone' that I want. Can I mount a network drive on the iPhone?

Sign into https://www.icloud.com and upload the file to the photo album or wherever.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mik posted:

Buy a MacBook with universal clipboard and Remote Desktop into the Windows desktop if you have to.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You *can* mount a network drive on your phone: files app -> ellipses in top right corner -> connect to server.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clark Nova posted:

You *can* mount a network drive on your phone: files app -> ellipses in top right corner -> connect to server.

I like how IDrive, one of my online backup services, works with the Files app. Too cool.

Backblaze, my other which I have one of their crummy unlimited plans with, does not alas.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

OneDrive might be an option too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Send it to a Discord group chat and share it to an iMessage from your phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can we stop with this poo poo

https://twitter.com/ianzelbo/status/1626348972800372736?s=46&t=yYfs0fDgMBX1E8fSSvKGQQ

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

some kinda jackal posted:

So I have CarPlay enabled on my 2017 GLA45, and if I look at my phone it shows the "use carplay when locked" slider enabled, but somehow when I plug the phone into my car in a locked state the MB still shows "no carplay device connected" until I unlock the phone. Anyone experience something like this? Going to try to re-pair my phone with the car next time I'm in it, but just felt odd since it seems like that's exactly what the slider should enable.

e: Latest iOS on 14 Pro.

The slider only allows CarPlay to connect if your phone has relatively recently unlocked. If you wake up late, sprint out the door, and connect your phone, you'll need to unlock.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeah, they better not go back to curved edges.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Raging against bigger cameras is telling on yourself

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mik posted:

I think you can use Clipt for this, I've been using it since Now Push shut down last year. Pushbullet was better, but the dev refuses to add a "Sign In with Apple" option and bring it back to iOS and I don't have a Mac yet, so here we are.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Send it to a Discord group chat and share it to an iMessage from your phone.

I have a private discord with only myself in it for reasons like this.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I had the opposite problem, taking pictures of things for work and then Teams-ing them to myself - but if you do Share >Teams, the "You" chat isn't pinned so I had to search my own name.

Now I take work photos with Microsoft Lens, which uploads them straight to OneDrive, and I can attach them straight to emails on my work laptop. Bonus: no more pictures of PCBs clogging up my camera roll.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Imagine if they made the chassis flush with the camera lenses.

You'd have double the battery life and the iPhone pro max would weigh as much as an iPad lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mik posted:

Tailscale can do this too

coke
Jul 12, 2009
just open the camera app on the phone then point at your desktop screen and do a screen grab on the phone with lock+volume up button, then finally crop+copy and delete

you can now paste it in anything you want on the phone

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

The slider only allows CarPlay to connect if your phone has relatively recently unlocked. If you wake up late, sprint out the door, and connect your phone, you'll need to unlock.

Thats the nuance I’m missing, thanks!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Bring back curved edges

Fits better in the hand, imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Soul Glo posted:

Bring back curved edges

Fits better in the hand, imo

Compromise: straight sides, curved bevels :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I thought we were getting periscopic lenses to do away with the stupid camera wart poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

icloud.com works great for transferring files or photos.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sending a photo to yourself through a telegram or WhatsApp message through their app works well too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't feel great barging in here with a big problem and this might be going way beyond this thread anyways but my elderly father's iPhone died while I was away and not around to babysit him getting a new one and now he has a new iPhone, a dead iPhone, and no data/apps/etc from his old phone on his new phone. I reset his new phone again to see if there were any iCloud backups available but despite paying for cloud storage the only backups on his account were from the new phone - the new and old are different models so easy to tell what came from where. I don't know exactly what is wrong with the old phone - he had some problems getting his phone to charge and I told him and my mom to get it fixed before it got worse and obviously he didn't and :tizzy: - but it also wouldn't charge from a pad charger so maybe the battery is just completely dead or there's some problem getting power from the battery to the rest of the phone.

I guess what I'm wondering is if its A Thing for there to be iphone repair people willing to crack open an old phone and get power to it just long enough to create a cloud backup? Or at least see if that's even an option because I guess the battery might have corroded the inside of the old phone or something I don't know I'm not a battery expert. There's potentially a lot of stuff on that old phone, stuff my dad doesn't even remember is on it, and it seems the only other option to get it back would be to have Apple repair it (which is what should have been done in the first place :tizzy:) for some extremely exorbitant amount just to get a backup.

Again sorry for just posting this out of nowhere.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It sure sounds like a dead battery, so it might be worth trying. If it works out, you can get the data you need and sell the phone. It’d be a lot less expensive than most data recovery bills at least.

I don’t think you can shortcut it either. See what the fruit stand says.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Just checked and the weather condition will say Cloudy if it's cloudy. Maybe do a regex match

Turns out it's stupid simple because automations let you trigger stuff on sunrise/sunset.

Weather still needs a little scripting but I guess I can live without it, I'm more entertained by light levels.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

So I have CarPlay enabled on my 2017 GLA45, and if I look at my phone it shows the "use carplay when locked" slider enabled, but somehow when I plug the phone into my car in a locked state the MB still shows "no carplay device connected" until I unlock the phone. Anyone experience something like this? Going to try to re-pair my phone with the car next time I'm in it, but just felt odd since it seems like that's exactly what the slider should enable.

e: Latest iOS on 14 Pro.

I have the same problem with my Ford Sync and CarPlay requiring it to be unlocked even though I too have the setting enabled.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I don't feel great barging in here with a big problem ...

iPhone battery replacement is $69, I would start there. If that solves it you should be able to recoup that if you just sell it after.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why can’t they at least center the camera so the phone doesn’t wobble as much

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why can’t they at least center the camera so the phone doesn’t wobble as much

The front facing camera, face id and proximity sensors are already in the center.

I like the pixel camera approach of a bar across the whole back so at least it's stable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The front facing camera, face id and proximity sensors are already in the center.

I like the pixel camera approach of a bar across the whole back so at least it's stable.

Yeah that’s good too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put the camera cluster smack in the middle of the back and make it an integrated pop socket.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FCKGW posted:

iPhone battery replacement is $69, I would start there. If that solves it you should be able to recoup that if you just sell it after.

Is an iPhone 6 worth much?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Not really. You could probably break even though. Ultimately it being worth the trouble depends if what’s on there matters to someone or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kibayasu posted:

No, but the real question here is, "Is the data on the phone worth $69?" Based on the post, I'd say yes.

OP: I would do what someone else mentioned. Take it to an Apple Store. They can at the very least run a diagnostic and tell you what the problem is, and if a new battery would even fix it.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Thanks for all the suggestions. A private Discord is probably the best solution given my setup, but the idea of using the camera and just taking a screen grab of my phone instead of actually taking the photo is kind of clever - something I’ll try as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else encountered (and fixed?) this problem with the new Photo Shuffle wallpaper modes?

I go to Settings > Wallpaper > Add New Wallpaper

At the top I click the People bubble. In here are three people, two separate instances of my partner and one of my friend's toddler from four years ago. I have dozens of people correctly tagged in Photos but they don't show up anywhere where I can specify people in this way.

I did the workaround of just creating an album out of the photos and manually selecting that, but that only let me grab 50 photos and it'd be nice to have the computer pick through them all instead.

Anyone else have this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've been having a weird problem with my iPhone where I cannot change the notification sound for calendar alerts. It always plays the Apex ringtone even if I set it to something else. I've tried changing the calendar sound in both the Notifications as well as the Sounds & Haptics settings (when I change one, it does change the other), but it's still playing Apex. Has anyone had this problem?