Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Anno posted:

Sorry, I didn't see your thing about co-op. I haven't played Borderlands 3 and I think it's the only one of them with co-op. I don't think they're generally super grind heavy, though - games 1 and 2 didn't seem like it to me, at least.

1 and 2 have coop. If you're not doing NG+ there's no real grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anno posted:

Sorry, I didn't see your thing about co-op. I haven't played Borderlands 3 and I think it's the only one of them with co-op. I don't think they're generally super grind heavy, though - games 1 and 2 didn't seem like it to me, at least.
I think the only Borderlands game without co-op is Tales From The Borderlands, I've played co-op on all of the FPS Borderlands games except Wonderlands, which I don't own.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to suspect my old Xbone controller may be on the fritz (i.e. some button presses don't register, across multiple games), any tips on what would be a good replacement? My requirements basically are 1)Xbox layout (X is supposed to be on the left as God intended, don't really care about the asymmetrical stick positions though), 2)Not Bluetooth, ideally wired.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For a similar set-up, you can get the current iteration of the xbox controller with a usb-c cable or with a normal wireless adapter (as opposed to bluetooth).
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-usb-c
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-adapter-win10

I recently got the elite version (also with a usb-c cable) because it has paddles on the bottom as well as a traditional d-pad I can swap in instead of the new octagonal thingy. It is double the the price, so depends on if those features or any of the other goodies (swappable joysticks, textured grips) are at all useful for you.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

The Razer Chroma has a much more robust cable connection and it's popular amongst competitive players - that's probably the best choice if you don't mind LEDs and the Razer software which it needs to work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

8bitdo Pro 2 is my go-to recommendation, no-nonsense design and you can even switch between console button profiles if that's your thing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

8bitdo Pro 2 is my go-to recommendation, no-nonsense design and you can even switch between console button profiles if that's your thing.

I seriously considered it but in the end decided that my muscle memory is so fossilized after using the same xbox controller for 14(?) years that different joypad placement would be a problem.

Being able to program macros is really nice though. The Elite allows a shift button and has 3 on-board profiles but it isn't the same. Definitely a point in favour of the 8bitdo

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

anilEhilated posted:

I'm starting to suspect my old Xbone controller may be on the fritz (i.e. some button presses don't register, across multiple games), any tips on what would be a good replacement? My requirements basically are 1)Xbox layout (X is supposed to be on the left as God intended, don't really care about the asymmetrical stick positions though), 2)Not Bluetooth, ideally wired.

Take it apart and clean the button contacts and/or potentiometers with e.g. isopropyl alcohol. It's really easy. You'll need security torx bits though. My Xbone controller keeps on trucking after more than five years thanks to an occasional cleaning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i might buy midnight suns when they stop updating the anti-cheat measures. it's a single player game, so that poo poo is very much a dealbreaker.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I seriously considered it but in the end decided that my muscle memory is so fossilized after using the same xbox controller for 14(?) years that different joypad placement would be a problem.

Being able to program macros is really nice though. The Elite allows a shift button and has 3 on-board profiles but it isn't the same. Definitely a point in favour of the 8bitdo
The 8BitDo Ultimate has an Xbox-style layout, though for some reason I haven't seen that much talk about it compared to the Pro. Personally I could adjust to the Pro's layout fairly quickly though despite having similar muscle memory to a 360 controller.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ulio posted:

I played the first one a long time ago but I don't know something didn't click. Do you have to grind in it? I know its heavily loot based.

Borderlands is a terrible game series and should be avoided at all costs

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Risk of Rain 2

this is my rec as well

Sab669 posted:

I've been having a ton of fun with Deep Rock Galactic lately. Coop class based FPS with a good array of Difficulty options depending on your mood and skill level.

It's a little grindy in the sense that there are a lot of weapons to unlock for each class, but it's super fun so it doesn't feel like a chore or anything.

this is also extremely good

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

8bitdo ultimate?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The correct mindless co op chill choice is EDF

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Exodee posted:

The 8BitDo Ultimate has an Xbox-style layout, though for some reason I haven't seen that much talk about it compared to the Pro. Personally I could adjust to the Pro's layout fairly quickly though despite having similar muscle memory to a 360 controller.

Henry Crustwheel posted:

8bitdo ultimate?

Welp. Guess I know what to get if the Elite starts breaking.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Well, since the Pharaoh remake wasn't anything particularly special, refunded it and tried out Gunfire Reborn instead. This is the FPS Roguelike that I wish Ziggurat had been. I feel like there's a little too drastic a difference between the easy parts and the hard parts (effortlessly cleared everything up until the 2nd to last room of the first biome, had slight difficulty with the last real room but nothing major, then got turbostomped by the first boss), but I can accept that for my level of skill and newness to the game I might just need to focus on dealing with metaprogression first. It took me 43 tries to get a complete Hades run after all, and now I can pretty much clear a non-Heat run of that effortlessly. Definitely going to keep poking at this, dunno how much more today though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 18, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's that game that looks very similar in artstyle to Octopath Traveller? People talked about it recently

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Azran posted:

What's that game that looks very similar in artstyle to Octopath Traveller? People talked about it recently

Live A Live?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Azran posted:

If you mean the recent demo, it was Wandering Sword.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Azran posted:

Crystal Project

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Welp. Guess I know what to get if the Elite starts breaking.
be sure to get the one specifically labeled "Bluetooth" for the hall effect sticks and a 2.4GHz dongle (plus bluetooth as an option); the other one called "8bitdo ultimate" has different sticks and connectivity because i guess they wanted to be confusing

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
There's an AMA thread with the developer of Astlibra going on right now, in case anyone's interested.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

be sure to get the one specifically labeled "Bluetooth" for the hall effect sticks and a 2.4GHz dongle (plus bluetooth as an option); the other one called "8bitdo ultimate" has different sticks and connectivity because i guess they wanted to be confusing

gently caress yes, I may get one anyways when I have some spare cash

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jossar posted:

Well, since the Pharaoh remake wasn't anything particularly special, refunded it and tried out Gunfire Reborn instead. This is the FPS Roguelike that I wish Ziggurat had been. I feel like there's a little too drastic a difference between the easy parts and the hard parts (effortlessly cleared everything up until the 2nd to last room of the first biome, had slight difficulty with the last real room but nothing major, then got turbostomped by the first boss), but I can accept that for my level of skill and newness to the game I might just need to focus on dealing with metaprogression first. It took me 43 tries to get a complete Hades run after all, and now I can pretty much clear a non-Heat run of that effortlessly. Definitely going to keep poking at this, dunno how much more today though.

I had the exact same experience with my early Gunfire runs and I can confirm that it'll clear up before long. Metaprogression grants you a LOT of power with the expectation that you'll graduate up the difficulty track over time.

Admittedly, I don't think any of the bosses are all that well designed, but Lu Wu felt like a brick wall at first and now it's a rarity that I don't chump him.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Azran posted:

Triangle Strategy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Today I played and finished CHOP GOBLINS in one sitting. In my mind this is the premiere game to play when you want to chop goblins. However, the goblins will also try to chop you!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's the best thing in the Spike Chunsoft sale to get if I've never really played a VN before? Somnium looks quite interesting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

What's the best thing in the Spike Chunsoft sale to get if I've never really played a VN before? Somnium looks quite interesting.

428 Shibuya Scramble
Somnium and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games are also good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero Escape series is really good.

First Somnium Files is only okay and the second one is awful but I'm in the minority on that.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Chas McGill posted:

It depends on your preferences:
  • Do you like anime antics or tolerate it?
  • Do you like escape rooms? How hard do you like your puzzles?
  • How much sex appeal or fanservice do you want in your games?
  • etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Flair posted:

It depends on your preferences:
  • Do you like anime antics or tolerate it?
  • Do you like escape rooms? How hard do you like your puzzles?
  • How much sex appeal or fanservice do you want in your games?
  • etc.

I guess I'm mainly after a compelling story with meaningful interactivity and something that will run nicely for many hours on the steam deck.
Do you like anime antics or tolerate it?
I can tolerate anime antics to an extent.
Do you like escape rooms? How hard do you like your puzzles?
Puzzles can be pretty challenging. I'm not enamoured with the concept of escape rooms so probably wouldn't play something all about them.
How much sex appeal or fanservice do you want in your games?
Ideally it'd be something I could play without getting awkward questions if witnessed on public transport.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I guess I'm mainly after a compelling story with meaningful interactivity and something that will run nicely for many hours on the steam deck.
Puzzles can be pretty challenging. I'm not enamoured with the concept of escape rooms so probably wouldn't play something all about them.
Ideally it'd be something I could play without getting awkward questions if witnessed on public transport.
Seconding 428

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

John Murdoch posted:

I had the exact same experience with my early Gunfire runs and I can confirm that it'll clear up before long. Metaprogression grants you a LOT of power with the expectation that you'll graduate up the difficulty track over time.

Admittedly, I don't think any of the bosses are all that well designed, but Lu Wu felt like a brick wall at first and now it's a rarity that I don't chump him.

Duly noted! Thanks for confirming on that, would've been a shame to hear the opposite.

At the same time as I initially grabbed Pharaoh/Gunfire, I also picked up Vampire Survivors. Well, re-picked up. I originally grabbed it when it was in early access, bounced off it, and then after the Fest said "eh, I probably COULD use a game that takes 10-30 minutes while bouncing between other stuff."

...that's it. It's Vampire Survivors, it's very good, has a thread, what else do you want?

Jossar posted:

Dark Tree is a top down style ARPG that, sadly for FutureCop, is an absolute trash fire. It promises that you get to combine multiple weapons against enemies to devastating effect, but really what you're doing is just sort of running around while the game auto-attacks on whatever weapon you're holding down the key for at the time or just defaults to the weapon bound to the B key. Maybe you can do it for multiple weapons nearly simultaneously if you want, but the whole thing just feels super awkward, and it's not like the placeholder plot is worth the trouble. I've had games intentionally built as idle/incrementals whose undisguised button pressing to make numbers go up felt more fun and engaging than this, avoid.

*sigh*

Okay, so I feel like I have to go back and explain why exactly Dark Tree sucks so much given that I've been playing Vampire Survivors on and off over the last day for 5 hours and from the outside looking in, it's basically the same premise. The easy way out is just to say that everything in Dark Tree is the same, but done much, much worse.

But if pressed on it, I'd say there's something else at work. Vampire Survivors is simple. It knows that it wants to be an arcade-style survival game. Even when it adds new mechanics and stuff like a boss rush mode, it's still doing its best to try to stick to that core design.

Dark Tree wants to be complex, something which does not work at all well because its core is built around simple gameplay. So instead DT is trying to go back and staple things onto the controls in an attempt to have its cake and eat it too, but it just sort of ruins both forms of play at once.

(The bit about everything being done worse is also true though. And these days there's really no reason to settle for mediocrity if the concept isn't even interesting enough to justify it.)

Unrelated: In The Festivals Will Never Stop news, Made in Brazil is now showing off/having a sale on Brazilian made games until next Thursday: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/42974040/sale/MadeinBrazilSale

EDIT: Somebody with a controller tell me if GOD-MACHINE - SHOGUN CYBERMETAL ARENA is any good or not. With a name like that, I have to know.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 27, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Chas McGill posted:

Based on your answers, I cannot recommend any of Spike Chunsoft games that I have played. I recommend against the Zero Escape series since those are escape rooms. I would also not recommend Danganronpa since that goes hard in anime antics with the occasional fanservice. Somnium Files also has escape rooms in "dreams" with anime antics and the occasional fan service; also, steam page says that it is "Unsupported" on steam deck.

In general, I am not sure if I can recommend visual novels in general since most VNs lean in hard into one of those areas (anime, escape room, fanservice) and/or have minimal interactivity (aside from the violent/horror ones).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

generic 13 sentinels appreciation post

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If only it was on steam

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think Vanillaware is maybe the last major holdout among Japanese developers regarding PC ports. Are there any others bigger than doujin circles?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and forgot Nintendo.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

nintendo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chas McGill posted:

Try Golden Treasure of the Great Green or Open Sourcery. Neither are Chunsoft games so probably aren’t on sale.

Golden Treasure is one of the best VNs in years and you play as a dragon.

Open Sourcery is a surprisingly good indie game and very cheap, so it can be a good way to dip your toes in the water.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
999 (first of the Zero Escape/Nonnary games) and the first Somnium Files are worth playing even if you'd normally skip them for any reason.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Well, I guess reviewing one demo from Made in Brazil couldn't hurt...

Astrea: Six-Sided Oracles is a dice-based deckbuilding roguelike where you take the role of one of the titular Six-Sided Oracles in an attempt to defeat a terrible corruption that has emerged from the heart of the star system Astrea, wrecked one of the planets in the system, and threatens to engulf the rest.

It's cute and clever - the dice have a chance to screw you over, but you have abilities that you can only trigger when you take damage and some of the dice you can draft allow you to convert bad dice to equal and opposite effects. So while the game gives you the capacity to play things safe if you really want, you're encouraged to keep things as risky as you can tolerably bear, and bounce your health bar around like a pinball. The in-run currency is primarily used to buy a bunch of upgradable sentinels who add their dice to your own actions so you don't get overwhelmed by the enemy action economy later on, although I found that it was already starting to get overwhelming once two were on the field at once. Then again, I didn't optimize my deck very well in my trial run-through.

Could be unbalanced, but seems good, expects to release some time this year. Weirdly enough, I didn't see any signs of metaprogression at all, but that might have just been the demo, so no idea if that reflects on the final game.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/02/17/one-city-builder-games-tale-shows-just-how-wide-open-the-dmca-process-is-for-abuse/

Write-up on the Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic situation discussed earlier itt. Clears up a few things, including the timeline of events;

quote:

The backstory here is that game studio 3Division made a game called Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic. It was released way back in early 2019. There is a vibrant community around this [g]ame and one member of that community created a helpful guide on how to make the game play more realistically. While 3Division was already working on a game mode to do the same thing, it reached out to the community member and offered to add his name the credits of the game to show their thanks. But only after the new game mode was released.

And that’s when everything went to hell.

So, according to the devs they were already working on Realistic and wanted to credit him more as a general thank-you to the community, with him as the most visible person. Seems the error there was running into some loving weirdo that took that small acknowledgement and either wanted to spin it into money or genuinely convinced himself he was the sole author of. Wonder if just ignoring him entirely would have resulted in this same mess when the devs would have released Realistic, who knows.

An interesting detail, if true:

quote:

the publisher hints that this bad actor might be a lawyer.

Would explain how he was able to do as much damage as he did - I don't remember rando irate gamers being able to bring down websites / blast games off Steam this way before and I'm pretty sure if it was straightforwards we'd have a LOT more examples of it. Filing takedowns on YT, sure, every rear end in a top hat with a chip on his shoulder does that. But a website takedown and a Steam delisting? Rare.

I think the last time I remember delisting as part of a blowup on Steam was back when a horror game made by devs from Hong Kong had an asset referencing Winnie the Pooh, if I remember right.