Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dismas posted:

Why won’t my kid poop gdi

Give it a day or two and then you'll be asking yourself how you can make it stop. But anyway give them some mashed prunes or something.

e: poopsnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My kid is on a weekend poop strike going on like…6 weeks now. It’s probably a comfort or routine thing with daycare, but I’m not thrilled about a two year old having psychological hangups about going to the bathroom. I can’t remember the last time I changed a poopy diaper.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I didn’t see “weekend” and freaked out for a minute there

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
New thread title in a few weeks: beware the poops of March

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Starting poty training tomorrow am. I hope she poops in the bowl!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Our dog bit our son while my mom was babysitting while I was at my friend’s funeral. I had to leave the funeral and go home and take son to the emergency room. 4 hours later he gets staples in his head. This loving sucks. The little dude will be ok, but I obviously need to rehome the dog asap. gently caress I’m just so sad.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Poor pup and son, that sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

remigious posted:

Our dog bit our son while my mom was babysitting while I was at my friend’s funeral. I had to leave the funeral and go home and take son to the emergency room. 4 hours later he gets staples in his head. This loving sucks. The little dude will be ok, but I obviously need to rehome the dog asap. gently caress I’m just so sad.

This happened to my parents dog Candide before I was born. Bit my older sister, went to the grandparents, never to return.

It sucks but you're doing the right thing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

GoutPatrol posted:

This happened to my parents dog Candide before I was born. Bit my older sister, went to the grandparents, never to return.

It sucks but you're doing the right thing.

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. All of my childless friends have made me feel crazy for wanting to rehome the dog. Like they just don’t get that it’s a big loving deal and I can’t risk this ever happening again.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It'd kill me to get rid of my dog at my parents place etc but I would absolutely do it if we got a dog bite. Kid safety comes first

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Childless friends have some weird rear end ideas about raising kids

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

remigious posted:

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. All of my childless friends have made me feel crazy for wanting to rehome the dog. Like they just don’t get that it’s a big loving deal and I can’t risk this ever happening again.

It would be crazy to keep the dog after they bite a kid. It is a big loving deal and you are doing the right thing. Your child’s safety is the most important thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Be sure whoever takes in your dog checks their insurance policy, some exclude any dog with a bite history from liability coverage.

It is a really lovely situation but re-homimg is absolutely the right call.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Single-person-with-no-kids-but-a-dog-who-lurks-in-the-thread-for-some-reason here: You did the right thing. Dogs are beloved members of the family, but they are not children.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

remigious posted:

you are absolutely doing the right thing, it sucks to have to give up your dog but you cannot risk a child's safety like that, the kid has to come first

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks, all. The dog was from a rescue and we’ve had him for about 8 months. They will assist with the rehoming, so we know he’ll find a better place.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

remigious posted:

Thanks, all. The dog was from a rescue and we’ve had him for about 8 months. They will assist with the rehoming, so we know he’ll find a better place.

Yeah that’s the other thing I was gonna ask. If it had been my dog of 10+ years or something I’d look into whether a dog training class or something could be done otherwise. For a new dog that bit hard enough to need staples…yeah no.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

remigious posted:

Maybe I’m admitting that my family is white trash and abusive to animals but my parents/grandparents would choose between rehoming the dog and shooting the dog. Keeping it simply wouldn’t be considered.

I suspect there would be a shallow grave somewhere on a rural property and that I would always be told “they went to a nice farm upstate.”

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
We had to rehome one of our cats when my son was little. He'd scratched my son once, but my back was turned so I let it go - maybe the cat had been startled or the baby had tried to grab him or etc. The next time I watched the cat scratch him. It was completely unprovoked, baby has been sitting quietly but hadn't made any noise or sudden movement, and in fact hadn't even seen the cat. Cat calmly walked up and swiped him hard, directly beside the eye. A centimeter over & it would have been an ER visit. I've had cats all my life, I know their body language, & I'd never had one act like that out of the blue. My son was old enough to sit up on his own so it wasn't like they'd just met each other.

You're a good parent who's doing the right thing. I'm sorry. We'd had that cat for nine years. Our other cat is seventeen this year & has never had an issue.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tom Smykowski posted:

Childless friends have some weird rear end ideas about raising kids

Some people just can't understand that priorities change drastically when you have kids. Sometimes it just becomes difficult to relate now that my life revolves around my kids so much. I've had friendships end because someone resented that they weren't the same priority to me as they were before I had kids. No one tells you how lonely parenting can be sometimes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Clutching my dog close tonight. Rubbing her belly telling her how good of a girl she is for not eating my baby. Dear reminder that it could happen, and to not let my m-i-l lead any dog-toddler interactions.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Update: I got in contact with the rescue, which is from another state. They drive up here once a month to drop dogs off and, in unfortunate circumstances like this, pick dogs up. Their monthly trip happened to be today. They have a plan to get him proper training and find him a good home. Everything happened so fast, it’s been such a whirlwind of emotions.
Going to give our remaining dog a million snuggles.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

killer crane posted:

No one tells you how lonely parenting can be sometimes.

I was extremely unprepared for it. But when covid lockdown came a year after our kid was born, I was prepared for that because we'd already been in isolation with no friends. I even had more social interaction in a way, since suddenly everyone was okay with doing digital hangouts.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

killer crane posted:

Some people just can't understand that priorities change drastically when you have kids. No one tells you how lonely parenting can be sometimes.

Oh my god, this so much. Even if you keep your close friends, getting to actually hang out with them becomes so much more difficult. And even if you have parent friends that you can do play dates with, many times your schedules don’t align or the kids get sick. It’s so isolating, and it’s a strange feeling to love your kids so much but also grieve the loss of your old life and relationships.

Anyway… my daughter has recently started putting her hand on her hips and saying “We have a slight situation here!” Usually when her brother is playing with one of her toys.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's a parallel convo going on about rehoming kid aggressive dogs in the r/relationships thread and yeah no you are 100% doing the right thing by your kiddo. I'm sorry you have to deal with it though.

All these crazy rear end 4 am wake ups and everything are so worth it when you come downstairs to hearing your toddler shouting "Happy!!" while climbing all over Dada.

Something else that feels like a small cuteness win this week... We have an inherited pair of light purple Crocs from her cousin that are her size now that she always wants to wear because she calls them her purples :3:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We're currently having to rehome a cat not because she's violent but because she's not adjusting well to living with a four year old. We adopted her hoping she'd be a better companion to our elderly cat who recently lost his roommate but turns out they don't get along. So the new cat just makes her displeasure known by conspicuously making GBS threads all over the house.

We had a nice couple lined up to take her yesterday but they backed out and I'm so disappointed. I just want to stop waking up to cat poop every morning.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tom Segura has a bit about the difference between kid and dog love.
https://youtu.be/Ce-unP-e_GQ

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I love winter in general but I'm ready for warm weather for my kid already!

There's just only so much I can do inside with a toddler, and a lot of the places I'd take her to, like the library, are closed on federal holidays.

I wish there was like an open gym for toddlers somewhere!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There's just only so much I can do inside with a toddler, and a lot of the places I'd take her to, like the library, are closed on federal holidays.

I despise the mall, but ours has a (very lovely) indoor playground at one end and we're probably going there today

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Kid sick again so what :negative:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are there any indoor play spaces in your area?

There's a ton around us for varying ages. Like I wouldn't take a toddler to an indoor trampoline park, but there's a bunch of places that just have themed play structures or are indoor bounce houses.

They're mostly used for hosting birthday parties and whatnot, but they usually have open play times, especially on weekdays. Usually around $10 or so for like an hour or a day depending on the place.

Kids museums around us are usually open days like this as well.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 20, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Son tripped and scraped both of his knees on the sidewalk just outside of his daycare. I was so sure he would start bawling because they were pretty bad scrapes.

But he didn’t cry. He got up, turned around, and said “I try again”. And when he didn’t trip the second time he was so happy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mrs Pony and I have off today but daycare is open.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Shifty Pony posted:

Lucky! I have today off, wife doesn’t, daycare is closed. Gonna take the little one to the beach or something I guess. Have to be real careful with pre-nap excursions these days because the kid is wont to fall asleep on the way home and ruin their nap

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Started potty training yesterday. 0 uses of the potty, and she only peed like 3 times while she was awake yesterday and no pooping. Also she would cry whenever we would try to put her on the potty, so that was great. Wife is home alone working on it again with her today and tomorrow and then she's supposed to go back to daycare on Wednesday sans diapers. Should be a fun week!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Daycare update: three weeks into our son's new at-home place and the change in his behavior has been spectacular. No more crying during drop off/pick up, he's trying new food, is generally calmer, and falls asleep at bedtime. He's even willing to put his woobie away during the day or leave it in our car.

It's remarkable to see the positive influence that a much smaller class size and an understanding re potty training can make.

External Organs posted:

Kid sick again so what :negative:

The circle of parenthood.

Shifty Pony posted:

The ogre toddler's new at-home daycare's open today as well which is a nice change from his old Montessori which followed the PfISD schedule. Not that it matters anyway since my wife has filled the day with stuff for our daughter to do - horsehumper was shocked, shocked I say, that we were following the loving decree and picking her up from his place as opposed to his assumption that we'd "give him the extra day" like he "gave us MLK day" (read: couldn't be arsed). So it's another holiday spent being run ragged.

Not like i can bill my client today due to them being federal but it'd be nice to get caught up on my compliance training...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
That’s awesome that the new daycare is making such a difference! Must be great to see such positive and quick results.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Shifty Pony posted:

gonndolences on the sick kid

edit:

Our day care is closed but neither of us have today off. I'm taking a half day, and my wife took the full day off since she actually gets some caregiver leave through her job.

This weekend we switched the youngest to undies. Been taking him potty for a while, but never really fully committed.

Naturally, while he has been staying dry due to frequent trips, he has decided that he will no longer tell us after he has pooped.

RIP 2 pairs of undies (so far).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2023

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Koivunen posted:

That’s awesome that the new daycare is making such a difference! Must be great to see such positive and quick results.

It's been heartwarming, yeah. The little dude's just so much happier and is still getting to learn-by-playing.

Still need to work on potty training but at least now he's not being treated as a problem child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many leaves do you think a kid shreds before they start 1st grade