Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

pro tip: black people are allowed to hoot and holler without it being seen as a racist depiction. in fact, thinking it's racist IS RACIST bc you're the one already making the connection in your mind without it being implied. especially for a movie/media series at the pinnacle of wokeness. gimme a break.

when i saw that scene i just thought "oh poo poo, kangs are itching to gently caress poo poo up." not the lovely thing you guys here are implying.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Everyone posted:

I haven't seen the movie but have no willpower to resist spoilers. I'm going to assume that the other Kangs are kind of like the multiple Thoths from Gods of Egypt, like lesser copies/clones or something. Otherwise maybe it's like Naruto and Conservation of Kangjustu or something? But yeah bad sound or whatever, that scene did look stupid/racist. Plus, honestly, I'd expect multiple Kangs to be like the multiple Lokis from Loki, just constantly back-stabbing the gently caress out of each other in order to be the One True Kang or something. I mean, the character's name/title is Kang the Conqueror not Kang a Conqueror.

I think only the Kang in this movie (pre-credits) is Kang the Conqueror and the others are more cooperative in general, but I could have inferred something I shouldn't have.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ShoogaSlim posted:

especially for a movie/media series at the pinnacle of wokeness.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

After seeing everyone complaining about MODOK I don't think he was that bad, it felt like he's supposed to be a goofy foil to Kang the Serious

The rest of the film felt like it needed more family time and less Kang backstory, but hell that's what we're here for. It was definitely a 2.5 hour advert for the next phase but The ant army was cool, they actually made Hank cool for once

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I think people are fundamentally misunderstanding the modok criticism when they post "hes supposed to be goofy" like yeah sure whatever the problem is that he looks like poo poo and not in a goofy way more like a "the vfx artists are burnt out and do not give a gently caress" kind of way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Martman posted:

I don't know much about this movie, can someone explain a basic thing? It sounds like the quantum realm turns out to be some thing where everyone kind of ends up in the same place once you shrink to a certain level.

Shouldn't it be the exact opposite? Like, part of the scary thing about being so small would be that everything is infinitely far apart so you could never find anything and would be isolated forever

Yeah that bugged me a lot. Like Janet immediately just runs into her old freedom fighter gang. Shouldn't they be quadrillions of miles away? It felt like landing on a planet in a sci fi game - you just sort of only ever go to this one populated square mile of the place.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ShoogaSlim posted:

pro tip: black people are allowed to hoot and holler without it being seen as a racist depiction. in fact, thinking it's racist IS RACIST bc you're the one already making the connection in your mind without it being implied. especially for a movie/media series at the pinnacle of wokeness. gimme a break.

when i saw that scene i just thought "oh poo poo, kangs are itching to gently caress poo poo up." not the lovely thing you guys here are implying.

lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Minion butt

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The mid-credits scene looks to be an attempt to recreate this shot, which seems about right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminder that back when there was "only" 34 hours or whatever, a poster in this forum went to a MCU marathon and all they had to say after enduring over a day straight of Marvel Madness was "it was fine, the quips were on point"

Lol I'm pretty sure this was me.

Just saw the movie, very surprised by how much I loved it. Kang was fab

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Having the new big bad of the MCU be a futuristic football hooligan sure is a choice

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

stev posted:

Yeah that bugged me a lot. Like Janet immediately just runs into her old freedom fighter gang. Shouldn't they be quadrillions of miles away? It felt like landing on a planet in a sci fi game - you just sort of only ever go to this one populated square mile of the place.

They were pulled in, which I expect is a little more exact than just jumping down yourself where ever you currently are in the universe.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Enjoyed it a lot. I don't go into these films with super high expectations, which I think helps a lot.

MODOK reminds me of Dr.Strange's third eye, which I don't know how you make it look much better than what they did. Consequence of them trying to stay true to the source, but not being able to make it cartoony. It looks utterly painful, but it's also the horrific consequence of what Ant-Man did to him in the first movie. Tying those threads together was a clever enough touch.

Major's great. I really hope they can handle him in large numbers without it getting too goofy. Majors has such a loving presence that I'm not sure how it's going to work when you're watching ten of him acting in the same frame.

My mind did go to racial stereotypes watching the last scene, but I don't think there's ill intention there. I blame that every iteration we've seen so far has been so individualistic and calm that it feels off to see other iterations just hooting and hollering. Also that I just watched a fantasy animated film from the 80's that had terribly savage-coded villains, so it's fresh in my head at least.

I am the target audience of the cameo's, loved seeing Gregg Turkington back, and that the guy from I Think You Should Leave. Hope they got decent money for the couple scenes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 18, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

5 stars

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

stev posted:

You're thinking about it all wrong. The quantumverse isnt just our universe but where everything is really small inbetween all our regular sized atoms and stuff.

Imagine our universe mapped to a 2 dimensional circle. As you "shrink" you move towards the centre of the circle, everything you perceive is the same size to you on your ring within the original circle but you are on an infinitely smaller circle inside the original circle.

Probably.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

smoobles posted:

The funniest part was during the credits when it says the movie was filmed in Australia. They got good green screens in Australia?

Lots of new tax incentives in Australia for film and post production, and they don't pay OT until after 10 hours. It all comes down to production financing. It's why a ton of vfx studios are opening in Australia these days.

They're also expanding like mad in India, where they don't have to pay OT at all and can have workers on do shifts so there's always someone working, even through the night.

Ghosthotel posted:

I think people are fundamentally misunderstanding the modok criticism when they post "hes supposed to be goofy" like yeah sure whatever the problem is that he looks like poo poo and not in a goofy way more like a "the vfx artists are burnt out and do not give a gently caress" kind of way.

He's the result of top of the line Digital Domain facial animation R & D, but the issue with Marvel is they are always changing their minds. Lots of cooks in the kitchen and worries about how they will be perceived, so there's not much direction, only a vague sense of panic coming from the top. In the end they find something and go with it but mostly because they're tired of looking at it.

Unlike in animation production, where the people involved understand the process better so iterations actually do make the final shots work better. In vfx there's so many layers of telephone between artist and the person saying the shot is final. Victoria Alonso and her crew are also spread extremely thin, all working 18 hour days, a lot of the time they don't even remember their previous note or direction. They just want to like something when they see it. Maybe they woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning so the better version of a shot wont be good, and a week later they'll final a worse iteration.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 18, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

they finally put Hank Hill in the MCU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The movie sucked and had no fun the other movies had or any fun big/little moments.
A huge cast and no real conflicts or character developments

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lmfao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Have you considered that calling out racism is the real racism? :thunkher:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I don’t think I remember a single line from The Wasp in the movie. And I just finished the movie

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Cassie!" -The Wasp, probably

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"I'm the Wasp."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gavok posted:

The mid-credits scene looks to be an attempt to recreate this shot, which seems about right.

I can't wait for some internet twit to bitch about how the MCU "stole" that from the Council of Ricks.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

"Cassie!" -The Wasp, probably

"Get that syringe away from me! It's got Bill Gates robits in it!" Evangeline Lilly, probably.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This is, no lie, the best thing I’ve seen about this movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GateOfD posted:

I don’t think I remember a single line from The Wasp in the movie. And I just finished the movie

“I don’t take no vaccine Scott! Covid isn’t real”

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a wasp" - The Wasp, surely

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“I haven’t been in a good franchise in my life” - the wasp

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Everyone posted:

I can't wait for some internet twit to bitch about how the MCU "stole" that from the Council of Ricks.

I said to my friends after the movie, "that was a cool council of ricks thing they had at the end"

"that's because this predates that by like 60 years" - comic book guy

"ah, that makes sense, I don't really read comic books" - me

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I saw this movie and its middling for a marvel entry (which probably makes it bad as actual cinema) but it was still marginally enjoyable and some of the stuff was very fun.

I kinda dug the way it ended too with scott confused as to if they actually succeeded or not

Some cool imagery in the quantumrealm but overall this felt like a movie shot entirely in the volume and it really showed. Very sparse looking.

Majors is captivating on screen so im glad he will get such a big focus going forward and hopefully in stronger entries.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't see much more than a snippet of a trailer of this so I went in almost completely blind, besides knowing Kang was the big bad.

It was pretty fun. I didn't know MODOK was in it so that was a fun reveal and yep my first reaction to hearing someone start to say his name out loud was "OH GOD HOW DUMB IS THIS GOING TO LOOK IN LIVE ACTION" and yep, it looked pretty loving dumb, but appropriate! And then his dumb skull mask thing flipped up and I was greeted by that just godawful attempt at stretching the actor's face almost like a texture on a flat surface. I do love the origin of the character in this though, it rules. Got his proportions all hosed up during the climactic battle of ant man, and that's how it explains the giant head thing. Love that part! The rest of his poo poo besides the terrible face effect was passable.

The overall story was...fine, ant man helping a rebellion beat Kang, sure, fine. The movie was a jumbled mess most of the time, but there WERE cool parts. Janet being stranded with and forming a bond with Kang only to get a glimpse into his kind and find out who he really is, the little alien things like the babelfish goo, piloting an organic ship via arm-slugs, and my favorite part of the movie, THE ANTS THAT PROGRESSED THOUSANDS OF YEARS IN A SECOND. That ruled, cyber-ants! Also the ant man recursion scene was wild as hell.

Movie was OK. Ant man and the wasp were the least interesting parts about it imo, the wasp was...she was barely in it it felt like, maybe 10 minutes of the movie.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 19, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone explain the ant thing? Like a bunch of ants just got stuck in the quantum realm at some point in the past and now they are some kind of intelligent alien species?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

And then his dumb skull mask thing flipped up and I was greeted by that just godawful attempt at stretching the actor's face almost like a texture on a flat surface.

He looks terrible. MODOK's face should look grotesque not gross. He should look grotesque.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I liked the movie. Feels like Kang as an Avengers-level threat is kinda diminished seeing as how he gets defeated by a bunch of ants. Technologically and presumably physiologically and biomechanically enhanced ants, but still ants.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone explain the ant thing? Like a bunch of ants just got stuck in the quantum realm at some point in the past and now they are some kind of intelligent alien species?

From what I understood when everyone gets sucked into the quantum realm a bunch of ants ended up in a pocket of time dialated space where they lived like thousands of years and since they were already Pym's super smart helper ants they became even more intelligent. He called them a 'Type 2' species, which I assume he means on the Kardashev scale they were capable of harnassing the power of a star. How they can do this in a place with no Stars is beyond me but yeah.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 19, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

He looks terrible. MODOK's face should look grotesque not gross. He should look grotesque.

But he also has to look recognizably like the villain from the previous movies. I'm not saying they succeeded but I get what they were going for.

Same with She Hulk, what they achieved was a very impressive technical feat. If there's an issue its just they didn't have quite enough time or the direction was bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I said to my friends after the movie, "that was a cool council of ricks thing they had at the end"

"that's because this predates that by like 60 years" - comic book guy

"ah, that makes sense, I don't really read comic books" - me

To be fair I don't really read comic books either. I just remembered stuff from Rick and Morty about how the Council of Ricks was basically a parody of the Council of Kangs.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Went into it with low expectations and ended up actually liking it a lot? Like, it's flawed, for sure. Could nitpick a bunch. But after that last Thor movie, a couple bad TV shows, and some other mid efforts in recent years I have a hard time buying that this one was The Bad One. Audience seemed to eat it up. I liked it because it was... silly. Halfway between Guardians of the Galaxy and like... Speed Racer and yeah, Spy Kids. And that's fine, if it's fun. I had fun. Feels like its being individually paying for the sins of the MCU as a whole.

Captain Invictus posted:

Movie was OK. Ant man and the wasp were the least interesting parts about it imo, the wasp was...she was barely in it it felt like, maybe 10 minutes of the movie.

That was a perhaps unintentional bonus? gently caress Evangeline Lilly.

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Rarity posted:

Have you considered that calling out racism is the real racism? :thunkher:

tell me why it's racist to portray a black person yelling in excitement.

if you say "it's because they look like monkeys" then aren't YOU racist for thinking that???

:thunk: