Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
there were some really great lipsyncs there!

I agree that a big part of the trouble Salina is having is judges aren't really getting her references. Yeah she's a bit unpolished but that's also part of the aesthetic, being loud and brash and chola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anetra losing the second lipsync was absolutely production riggery because they could get more lipsyncs out of the Too Low duck walk queen. My roommate pointed out her hips are too low and I can't unsee it anymore.

also lol at no one knowing the Camilla Cabello song and I bet most people watching didn't know it either. What an awful lipsync song choice.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I give these queens a pass at not expecting this type of episode since it had only happened once and they had no warning unlike S14.

Going forward, all queens need to add "know all the words for all the songs before you arrive" to their list of to-dos like "learn how to sew".

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Producer shenanigans up ahead. I never even noticed this. TikTok is sharp!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYkc5YCM/

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Pan Dulce posted:

Producer shenanigans up ahead. I never even noticed this. TikTok is sharp!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYkc5YCM/

Obviously, one was Sugar

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I will never again hear the last line of It's All Coming Back to Me Now without thinking of Salina spreading butt cheeks apart

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
As time has gone on, Anetra is only getting more impressive in and out of Drag Race. She has a maturity about her where she doesn’t need to be online 24/7 and respond to all the drama flung her way like the whole Aja thing. She’s the type to show rather than tell and while it isn’t the best way of getting the spotlight on a reality TV show, I still have immense respect for someone who can navigate life outside of the tv show.

It’s a bit unfair this season has such incredibly strong queens like Sasha, Mistress and Anetra.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

unfair to whom?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

unfair to whom?

Weak queens

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

future fillers won’t have the boogeywoman of sasha colby to worry about on their non-all-stars season :shrug:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Bianca truly captured my internal monologue Friday night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ttvsNk_YM&t=1254s

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The pit stop with Bianca and Kandy Muse was very good! Also, Maddy Morphisis has a Youtube show, and the title is amazing. :allears: "Give It To Me Straight"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

there were some really great lipsyncs there!

I agree that a big part of the trouble Salina is having is judges aren't really getting her references. Yeah she's a bit unpolished but that's also part of the aesthetic, being loud and brash and chola.

Salina very authentically represents a very particular kind of drag and very particular kind of aesthetic. I love fashion and entertainment that really owns its own particular niche. By definition her drag is somewhat tasteless, and she doesn't have the level of polished talent some of the other queens have, but she does deserve to be here a while longer. I'd certainly prefer for her to stay over Spice, or even Malaysia.

As for everyone else, Anetra, Loosey, Luxx, Mistress, and Sasha all seem like absolute locks for top 5, barring unexpected missteps. Delighted to have such an all-around strong cast this season.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I hope Loosey is the last to be eliminated before the finale because I want to see her meltdown the most. I wouldn’t be upset if Luxx is the one to get eliminated instead, but I’d say she’s actually the less delusional of the two right now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

As for everyone else, Anetra, Loosey, Luxx, Mistress, and Sasha all seem like absolute locks for top 5, barring unexpected missteps. Delighted to have such an all-around strong cast this season.

Yeah, it hasn't been this obvious since seasons 6 or 8 who were going to be in the top

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I see Marsha as "last one out", she's the definition of "if we judge the season as a whole" getting removed at the end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Men
Are
Orgasming

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What’s the latest someone has won a challenge and subsequently, the season?

If you haven’t won anything by like ep6/ 7, you’re stuffed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think Jinkx was winner with the latest win, at episode 5

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It looks like it's even more likely to be within the first 3 episodes (also keeping in mind a number of seasons' first episode is just the first part of a 2-parter):

Season 1 - Bebe - Ep 3
Season 2 - Tyra - Ep 3
Season 3 - Raja - Ep 2
Season 4 - Sharon - Ep 1
Season 5 - Jinkx - Ep 5
Season 6 - Bianca - Ep 2
Season 7 - Violet - Ep 1
Season 8 - Bob - Ep 3
Season 9 - Sasha - Ep 4
Season 10 - Aquaria - Ep 4
Season 11 - Yvie - Ep 2
Season 12 - Jaida - Ep 1
Season 13 - Symone - Ep 2
Season 14 - Willow - Ep 3

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I think this season is probably Sasha Colby's to lose with Anetra as the black horse. Mistress is def in the final four imo and then I think the fourth is maybe Loosey, Marcia, Luxx?? I've not been super impressed with Luxx tbh. Marcia has the potential for a big "growth" arc, she's got some clear talent and some obvious areas where she could improve.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Drag Race LOVES the arrogant young upstart with talent archetype so while I think Luxx is most likely to trip up before the top 5 I just don’t see her going home.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Sasha/Anetra/Mistress/Luxx seems like the most obvious top 4

Sasha and Anetra are clearly the strongest in the bunch. Mistress and Luxx fulfill the plus-size and young skinny fashion queen roles, while having a lot of the season's drama revolve around them. Loosey has a lot of comedic chops, but she was one of the worst lip syncers last week. Plus, she wants it too much and gives off the ~professional~ vibes Ru hates. If she does somehow make it to the end, I think it'd have to be a top 5 situation again.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I actually thought Spice should have won in her matchup with Loosey. Neither of them were good, but I would still give Spice the edge. This is partly due to Loosey talking herself up so much and then having it turn out that, in addition to not being a good live singer, she can’t even loving lip sync!

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I actually thought Spice should have won in her matchup with Loosey. Neither of them were good, but I would still give Spice the edge. This is partly due to Loosey talking herself up so much and then having it turn out that, in addition to not being a good live singer, she can’t even loving lip sync!

Agreed.

Both were mediocre/bad, but I felt Spice matched the energy of the song slightly better. Also, I’m a little surprised producers didn’t take the opportunity to try and give Loosey a mental breakdown a la Jan.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

garthoneeye posted:

Agreed.

Both were mediocre/bad, but I felt Spice matched the energy of the song slightly better. Also, I’m a little surprised producers didn’t take the opportunity to try and give Loosey a mental breakdown a la Jan.

I think they're saving that for Marcia Marcia Marcia. She's been in the top half the episodes, and safe half the episodes, and even in the top they pretty much only have negative comments for her. At least based on the edit.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Marcia is talented but her drag is very... understated. Which is not a great thing for drag to be, especially if you can't demonstrate versatility and go super over-the-top

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Marcia's an odd case for me. Early on, she was of course seen as the Jan of the season, but she's kind of missing that aggressive theater kid drive. Her schtick seems to be very competent performer with incredibly basic drag. And even with the judges constantly critiquing her aesthetic, she isn't bothered enough to deviate that much from it (according to some Mistress tea). I kind of just see her fizzling out as the judges don't see enough elevation, then getting sent home by one of the better lip syncers. Her time to win was during a dancing, singing, or acting challenge, and we've already had those. The next episode is a ball, and she has one of the most questionable taste levels in this cast. If she can survive that, the only kind of remaining challenge she might win is a Rusical.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It feels that Marcia is coming from the other side of "weaponizing her BFA" because she's succeeded. Broadway, national tours, etc. She's a successful working actor who knows that being on the show brings a whole new level of offers. Stay the course, prove you can take direction and improve (which she's doing with her makeup) and you've got your All-Stars storyline ready.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I like Marcia a lot more than I thought I would.

I hope you all enjoyed my insight.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Flyinglemur posted:

I like Marcia a lot more than I thought I would.

I hope you all enjoyed my insight.

I'm just realizing with your avatar. Is the actor from the original series playing the woodsman in Twin Peaks The Return?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
how much broader could salina's drag references be i mean come on

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Jax did this gliding move in her lipsync with Aura that I CANNOT stop thinking about. I also really like her "belly flop" (I know that's a bad way of describing it) signature move, it's fairly unique. :kiddo:

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm just realizing with your avatar. Is the actor from the original series playing the woodsman in Twin Peaks The Return?

Ha, this whole time, I've always seen it as a Mad Men avatar. :doh: Now that I look closer, it most definitely is not!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Salina can do whatever and I will eat. It. Up. Every time

Read After Burning posted:

Jax did this gliding move in her lipsync with Aura that I CANNOT stop thinking about. I also really like her "belly flop" (I know that's a bad way of describing it) signature move, it's fairly unique. :kiddo:

Yeah, I rewatched that lip sync many many times, and she slid around on those heels a looot while making it look effortless.

Also, has any queen ever even attempted anything this insane?

https://i.imgur.com/3pohgvH.mp4

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ha, this whole time, I've always seen it as a Mad Men avatar. :doh: Now that I look closer, it most definitely is not!

Same. I've seen every episode of Mad Men like 6 times, and I thought this whole time it was Sal. But only tonight I realized poo poo, that's Twin Peaks.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Nihonniboku posted:

No I just found it odd/cool how that line repeated between those two. Makes ya wonder.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

gandlethorpe posted:

Salina can do whatever and I will eat. It. Up. Every time

Yeah, I rewatched that lip sync many many times, and she slid around on those heels a looot while making it look effortless.

Also, has any queen ever even attempted anything this insane?

https://i.imgur.com/3pohgvH.mp4

she's got a style that seems kind of similar to without directly referencing breakdance. It feels incredibly fresh compared to what we see on the show. Absolutely incredible performer.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I time-stamped the exact spot I'm talking about, it's simple and yet SO satisfying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtomJekdxIE&t=79s

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Flyinglemur posted:

No I just found it odd/cool how that line repeated between those two. Makes ya wonder.

Well, now I want a Twin Peaks themed challenged on Drag Race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I time-stamped the exact spot I'm talking about, it's simple and yet SO satisfying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtomJekdxIE&t=79s

This one too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtomJekdxIE&t=118s

This is already one of my all time favorite lip syncs, and I've practically studied all the things, big and small, Jax does to make an exquisite lip sync. The way she changes "modes" between Dua and Megan is understated, but makes an impact.

On a related tangent, Jax said at her Roscoe's appearance that her favorite lip sync from the show is Lovergirl with Kandy and Kasha, so that makes me respect her even more. That's pretty much my #1 lip sync that's often neglected on best lip syncs lists.