Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

TheLawinator posted:

The new boros precon kinda whips, didn't even swap commanders and I won 3/4 games yesterday. I'm going to try to leave it as is so that I have something for when folks have weaker decks/precons only.

Yeah it can definitely do things. Sadly my first game with it I started with two lands plus a rock, then didn't draw another land for about five turns. The next couple games were more reasonable thankfully. It really depends on getting a good start, but it's got a couple nice value engines along with solid boardwipe/protection packages. And as you said, both commanders slap pretty hard. The biggest problem is that the equipment subtheme led to some real bizarre inclusions (Loxodon Warhammer? Maul of the Skyclaves? Goldwarden's Gambit? Jor Kadeen?).

I'd recommend that anyone with even a passing desire to play white pick it up now, because clever concealment's already $12 (and rising!) while flawless maneuver's still $12. Hell, basically all the white cards are playable for upper-mid-tier decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've just recently started playing again after having quit playing much during the first Ravnica set back in '05-'06. So Commander is completely new to me. I've never played a singleton format before, are there any basic guidelines to making it work well? I'm thinking that picking up search/draw cards is good, and maybe thinking of the cards as less the name of the card and more the type of effect they have? Like there's a bunch of different "all creatures get +1/+1" enchantments, so think about it less as "I want 4 Glory" and more as "I want 4 +1/+1 enchantment cards"? Just as an example, IDK if that's even something I would want.

I'm not even sure what color/color combo I want to run, it's just intimidating picking out 99 (minus lands) cards without duplicates plus the commander.

I'm not sure if it's relevant here, I play with pretty casual people. Mixed skill levels but nobody I would expect to do well at even a tournament in a mid-sized city.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've just recently started playing again after having quit playing much during the first Ravnica set back in '05-'06. So Commander is completely new to me. I've never played a singleton format before, are there any basic guidelines to making it work well? I'm thinking that picking up search/draw cards is good, and maybe thinking of the cards as less the name of the card and more the type of effect they have? Like there's a bunch of different "all creatures get +1/+1" enchantments, so think about it less as "I want 4 Glory" and more as "I want 4 +1/+1 enchantment cards"? Just as an example, IDK if that's even something I would want.

I'm not even sure what color/color combo I want to run, it's just intimidating picking out 99 (minus lands) cards without duplicates plus the commander.

I'm not sure if it's relevant here, I play with pretty casual people. Mixed skill levels but nobody I would expect to do well at even a tournament in a mid-sized city.

Don't take these videos as gospel, but I'm sure they're a good way to get started:

https://youtu.be/1jO2fmsef0g

https://youtu.be/3K9PEeLG_6M

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The pricing on the ONE precons is really strange to me, the boros deck has Flawless Maneuver which is a fairly expensive staple and Clever Concealment (which should become a staple in go-wide decks) as its top value cards, while the infect deck has… a couple $3-5 cards… and is selling for $10-15 more locally. Do people just hate boros equipment, cause I can’t imagine paying the same cost for Corrupting Influence let alone more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

The pricing on the ONE precons is really strange to me, the boros deck has Flawless Maneuver which is a fairly expensive staple and Clever Concealment (which should become a staple in go-wide decks) as its top value cards, while the infect deck has… a couple $3-5 cards… and is selling for $10-15 more locally. Do people just hate boros equipment, cause I can’t imagine paying the same cost for Corrupting Influence let alone more.

Boros isn't super popular despite becoming one of the best type combos in recent history imo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm thinking that picking up search/draw cards is good, and maybe thinking of the cards as less the name of the card and more the type of effect they have? Like there's a bunch of different "all creatures get +1/+1" enchantments, so think about it less as "I want 4 Glory" and more as "I want 4 +1/+1 enchantment cards"? Just as an example, IDK if that's even something I would want.

For this bit in particular, learn how to use Scryfall advanced search and, in particular, the full set of expressions available.

EDHrec is good for getting ideas and not missing out on key cards but do be warned that a tool that averages out every deck for a commander built using the most popular online deckbuilders will skew the results in a few ways. For example, a deck with a fairly agreed upon value package but 5 or 6 equally good ways to win might show those win con cards way way down the list because decks are evenly split on using them. The most powerful tool in EDHrec is the advanced filter to focus the results on the types of cards you want to run (and often more importantly, filtering out cards you don't)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Based on what you've written in this paragraph you are going to absolutely dumpster most commander players who have been playing for years.

Also this is probably beneath you but it's a getting started commander article: https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-commander/

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 17, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

1) Treat your commander's text as a rule for the deck. Treat it as something that is always in your hand, if not in play. Everything you add to the deck should be with your commander's text in mind.

2) Eat all of your vegetables before you dig into the wild stuff. Specifically:
* Ramp: at least 10 cards, which can include mana dorks, mana rocks, land enchantments, or spell ramp. There are enough options in singleton to do any and all of these options at 2 CMC or less.
* Card draw: at least 10 cards that draw cards, or at least let you play cards off the deck or bring cards back from the graveyard. I count tutors in here as well.
* Removal: at least 10 cards that spot-remove stuff, including creatures, artifacts, and enchantments. I include things like counterspells as removal when I'm building a deck.
* Board wipes: at least 3 cards that sweep all the creatures off the table (if not other permanents too). Even better if you can manage something that blows up opponents and doesn't touch your commander or your creatures. For example, running Wave of Reckoning in a deck whose commander has lower power than toughness.
* Defense: at least five cards that can protect you and/or your commander. Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves are staples for this reason, but I've found fog effects to also be good in any level below cEDH (i.e. any EDH table where people are launching conventional attacks to win instead of comboing off).
* Lands: people have different math for this, and it will vary by deck of course, but generally I use: lands = 30 + commander's CMC + number of deck's colors. So, a 4 CMC commander who is two colors would ask for 36 lands. If anything, this is a little high, but you can shave some off if you are feeling bold.

3) Synergize all of the above with your commander, as often as possible. If your commander cares about +1/+1 counters, make your ramp and card draw and removal etc. care about that too.

4) Any card slots leftover are for your fun stuff/rocket fuel. It's an eternal format. Go hog wild.

5) For the love of god, have a win con. It doesn't need to be a linear combo, but just have an idea like, "I am going to win by attacking with a crapload of huge creatures," or "I am going to win by commander damage," or "I am going to win by dumping infinite mana into some of my outlets."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You are approaching this in the corrxt way and just what youve said so far will take you far.

What I can tell you that's probably not covered by evryone else is this: Almost nobody has a perfect encyclopedic knowledge of the entire body of commander legal cards, and each person in this thread has some niche that they are good at. But, we have all learned a lot of lessons from making mistakes, and thats an invaluable knowledge well to have.

So, my suggestion is: make a big effortpost of the kinds of decks, or themes, or whatever you like to play, and give us as much information as you can about your budget, playstyle, attitude towards proxying, etc. and just get a half dozen goobers here to give you some starting advice based on that. Saying "I want to make a deck about attacking with sword-wielding cats" or "I like decks that use the graveyard as a resource" or "I like decks that burn people in the face" and people here will pluck obscure cards from the 90s that you would never have considered to fill the gaps in ypur deck.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I played the ghen list more or less as posted in a 4 player pod last night. It acquitted itself nicely, thanks in large part to your suggestions, so thanks again.

There are definitely some takeaways I really need to hammer home about edh. One is actually killing people, as there were a few times where someone was down to 6 or 7 life, but was able to stabilize, come back or otherwise be impactful. This is very different than 60/40 card formats where things don’t tend to so dramatically reverse so quickly.

Another is paper magic is very messy. Managing triggers isn’t so bad but 1.5 hours into a game, managing 17 lands and 15 different permanents and tokens just physically is difficult for me, who has mostly played digital for the past few decades. I’m also a much better player when all this, plus all the rule interactions are handled for you, which is not a great thing to realize. I’m guessing this get better with practice.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there any decent win conditions for a Kwain, Itinerant Meddler deck that aren't Lab Maniac-type effects, Approach, or milling out the opponents? All of those are fine, but I want to be sure I'm not missing some obvious combo or something.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are there any decent win conditions for a Kwain, Itinerant Meddler deck that aren't Lab Maniac-type effects, Approach, or milling out the opponents? All of those are fine, but I want to be sure I'm not missing some obvious combo or something.

Play Goblin Charbelcher, get rid of all the lands in your deck with Mana Severance, and blast people in the face.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

Another is paper magic is very messy. Managing triggers isn’t so bad but 1.5 hours into a game, managing 17 lands and 15 different permanents and tokens just physically is difficult for me, who has mostly played digital for the past few decades. I’m also a much better player when all this, plus all the rule interactions are handled for you, which is not a great thing to realize. I’m guessing this get better with practice.

Amen dude. People always laugh at the notion of a Magic dealer but I'd much prefer if playing Magic meant setting up at a nice felt table with dealer-judge who handles everything and th only cards you ever need to even touch, if at all, are those in your hand. Something I will make happen if I ever win a billion dollars. World's first and only legitimate Magic competition.

I also avoid building some deck ideas I gave because they'll just be so messy on the table or have way too many triggers and counters to manage. There are also tons of games where I just ignore a player's board state because I don't care to parse it, just gonna wait for a board wipes or something lol.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Koopa Kid posted:

This was a good observation. I grabbed this deck at retail yesterday after reading this post, and... yay.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Amen dude. People always laugh at the notion of a Magic dealer but I'd much prefer if playing Magic meant setting up at a nice felt table with dealer-judge who handles everything and th only cards you ever need to even touch, if at all, are those in your hand. Something I will make happen if I ever win a billion dollars. World's first and only legitimate Magic competition.

I also avoid building some deck ideas I gave because they'll just be so messy on the table or have way too many triggers and counters to manage. There are also tons of games where I just ignore a player's board state because I don't care to parse it, just gonna wait for a board wipes or something lol.

* me sweating bullets after building several ETB-centric decks *

"Y-yeah, I c-cast Ghostway and exile these seven allies."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Koopa Kid posted:

I don't really understand the question? Is it "Why is Clever Concealment expensive?" because that's the same answer as "Why is Doubling Season expensive?" which is that people love bad cards. If the question is "Why did WotC put a $25 reprint in one deck and draft chaff in the other?", it's that WotC is bad and stupid but the players never hold them accountable, so they have no reason to improve.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meanolmrcloud posted:

I played the ghen list more or less as posted in a 4 player pod last night. It acquitted itself nicely, thanks in large part to your suggestions, so thanks again.

There are definitely some takeaways I really need to hammer home about edh. One is actually killing people, as there were a few times where someone was down to 6 or 7 life, but was able to stabilize, come back or otherwise be impactful. This is very different than 60/40 card formats where things don’t tend to so dramatically reverse so quickly.

You have identified the difference between slower, battlecruiser-style EDH, and more competitive tables (side note: play whatever you want, and whatever your group is comfortable with). Competitive decks (and tables) operate off the concept that you are really trying to haymaker everyone out in a 1-2 turn window once you get set up. You don't chunk people down by 5, because an opponent at 6 is just as dangerous as an opponent at 66. So, you could still play a saga-themed deck, but you'd only play ones that have Big Impact, or where reusing them keeps the board locked down (I think there's an Armageddon-ish one), and leave out all the incremental value ones, and then you'd put a couple replenish-style effects and A Lot More Looting, so your play patter would look more like LootLootLootLootLootLootReplenishGG. You don't have to play like that, but if you want shorter games and more consistent results, that's the direction you'd look. Me? I'm more interested in playing 4 half-hour games than 1 two-hour game.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I want to get into edh for fun and to collect some cool cards. I'm mainly interested in spirits or horrors tribal or the new white/black phyrexia stuff because it looks cool. Could somebody give me a rundown on how each plays? Also, is toxrill a that guy commander?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toxrill is a pretty big hate bearer that people will either immediately scoop on or just try and kill/exile as soon as they see it coming, if you're looking to start out in horror tribal the Dimir precon that came out last year is a really good starter base to modify on.

Edit:

https://archidekt.com/decks/2902700#Mind_Flayarrr_Upgrayedd_(He_gonna_find_me)

That's mine. I've only played it once because it worked really really well and had a good amount of feel bads from everyone else because I was able to control 3 other players and steal all their poo poo. Works really great!

Prof made his own precon for 44 bux, I really like this as a concept like other content creators do.

https://youtu.be/67B1kcUyRmQ

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I don't really understand the question? Is it "Why is Clever Concealment expensive?" because that's the same answer as "Why is Doubling Season expensive?" which is that people love bad cards. If the question is "Why did WotC put a $25 reprint in one deck and draft chaff in the other?", it's that WotC is bad and stupid but the players never hold them accountable, so they have no reason to improve.

Nah I’m saying that it’s weird that Rebellion Rising costs less than Corrupting Influence right now even though it has both better card value and the expectation that value will get higher because people like that kind of effect (as Pantsless Hero just posted above). In a rational market you’d expect the retail price of the decks to be flipped, but that’s not the case here even though other sets have had their precon pricing adjust pretty quickly to card value.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pantsless Hero posted:

This was a good observation. I grabbed this deck at retail yesterday after reading this post, and... yay.

Also :cheers:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Koopa Kid posted:

Nah I’m saying that it’s weird that Rebellion Rising costs less than Corrupting Influence right now even though it has both better card value and the expectation that value will get higher because people like that kind of effect (as Pantsless Hero just posted above). In a rational market you’d expect the retail price of the decks to be flipped, but that’s not the case here even though other sets have had their precon pricing adjust pretty quickly to card value.

Oh, lol, people are dumb as hell. The infect one only has 2 cards worth more than $2 that are playable, Night's Whisper and Noxious Revival. And, to be fair, the Boros one only has Flawless Maneuver, Path, and the RW Talisman... so both are garbage. I mean, sweet merciful gently caress they jammed a loving karoo and Temple of the False God in the aggressive boros deck. Are you loving kidding me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Injuryprone posted:

I want to get into edh for fun and to collect some cool cards. I'm mainly interested in spirits or horrors tribal or the new white/black phyrexia stuff because it looks cool. Could somebody give me a rundown on how each plays? Also, is toxrill a that guy commander?

I did write up of how to improve the mind flayer commander deck:

https://www.goonhammer.com/unstable-mutation-mind-flayarrrs/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Toshimo posted:

You are approaching this in the corrxt way and just what youve said so far will take you far.

What I can tell you that's probably not covered by evryone else is this: Almost nobody has a perfect encyclopedic knowledge of the entire body of commander legal cards, and each person in this thread has some niche that they are good at. But, we have all learned a lot of lessons from making mistakes, and thats an invaluable knowledge well to have.

So, my suggestion is: make a big effortpost of the kinds of decks, or themes, or whatever you like to play, and give us as much information as you can about your budget, playstyle, attitude towards proxying, etc. and just get a half dozen goobers here to give you some starting advice based on that. Saying "I want to make a deck about attacking with sword-wielding cats" or "I like decks that use the graveyard as a resource" or "I like decks that burn people in the face" and people here will pluck obscure cards from the 90s that you would never have considered to fill the gaps in ypur deck.

Thanks, here's my stream of consciousness thoughts on the decks I might like to try. Budget ideally under $200 not including basic lands, I probably won't buy it for a while anyway but goddamn does this game get expensive fast now that I'm not limited in my rate of acquisition by allowance and getting my mom to drive me to the game shop. I've always played decks that lean on "my creatures are bigger and/or more numerous than yours" but I'm open to expanding that. I've currently got a monoblack constructed deck that focuses heavily on kill spells and discards while chipping away with low CMC creatures and it's fun, but definitely not great. I've never used proxies, I feel a bit iffy about using them and nobody else here seems to use them so I'd prefer to avoid it.

I played an Innistrad: Midnight Hunt draft last night (I didn't realize how old the set was, I guess the boosters were cheap which explains it only being $15) and was running a BU deck that I enjoyed even if I found some weaknesses and managed to get mana flooded every single drat round despite only having 17 lands. That one was zombie-themed with a bunch of cards that created decayed zombies and the 1B legendary I'm forgetting the name of that creates a 2/2 decayed token at the start of your end phase if you don't have anything with decayed. I'd use that as a commander but he's monoblack so I wouldn't be able to use all the blue utility. The main problems I ran into were not having enough stuff to sacrifice for all of the stuff that wanted sacrifices, my only flying being the back side of modal transform cards, and not running as many counterspells as I really should for blue. And the aforementioned mana flood thing. I'd like to build that deck out either into a 60 card constructed or a commander deck at some point. I've never played blue before so I've got a decent amount of blue commons that I could add for counterspells and draw/search if I went commander.

Yesterday I used Moxfield to build a monowhite samurai-themed commander deck that upon further reading probably needs a lot of tweaking for more draw/search/removal, the idea was to get a bunch of small samurai cards and tokens out and then buff them up, while using Konda, Lord of Eiganjo. He's indestructible so I swing every turn with him either as a high priority block target or if I get him trample / protection from creatures / flying, a way to chunk out that 21 damage from a commander in 2-3 turns. I also included Pariah in that one which would be a long shot but if it worked, having an indestructible commander that all of the damage towards me goes to would be very funny. Decklist here if anyone cares: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/oKMURwgfKk2oUulRWw8i9g. Of course, downside of not having blue is that blue is the biggest search/draw color AFAIK.

When I was first thinking of making a commander deck, I noticed that I have Captain Ripley Vance which seems like it might be a fun way to go, try to buff her up in three spells to do direct damage to the opposing player and then swing to try to get the rest of the 21 damage. No idea how to make that work, though. And again, no blue, harder to get the search/draw you want.

My other, probably least formed thought, is a UW white weenie with blue utility type deck, I've got Dovin, Grand Arbiter although I've never played with a Planeswalker before so I'm not sure if he's actually good and that seems like it would knock out the ability to win by 21 damage from commander.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Oh, lol, people are dumb as hell. The infect one only has 2 cards worth more than $2 that are playable, Night's Whisper and Noxious Revival. And, to be fair, the Boros one only has Flawless Maneuver, Path, and the RW Talisman... so both are garbage. I mean, sweet merciful gently caress they jammed a loving karoo and Temple of the False God in the aggressive boros deck. Are you loving kidding me.

I mean it’s a modern precon so expectations need to be tempered for sure, but anyone buying one isn’t expecting to slap it down at a CEDH table. I’d expect that ~90 cards are totally worthless and people should immediately replace most of the non-basics with basics.

But just in terms of raw card price right this moment, Rebellion Rising has value and the normally reprint and value hungry community seems to be not just sleeping on it but driving up the price of a worse deck and that’s wild to me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean it’s a modern precon so expectations need to be tempered for sure, but anyone buying one isn’t expecting to slap it down at a CEDH table. I’d expect that ~90 cards are totally worthless and people should immediately replace most of the non-basics with basics.

But just in terms of raw card price right this moment, Rebellion Rising has value and the normally reprint and value hungry community seems to be not just sleeping on it but driving up the price of a worse deck and that’s wild to me.

I'm not gonna speak for Toshi here but we chat about these things, he knows much more about card value than I do but we largely agree the precons should have more core playable cards like talismans/signets lands that enter untapped and decent interaction (i.e. instant speed removal or counters).

I'd love to see precons come out and have a core of at least maybe 20-30 playable decent cards some set mechanic related cards, several legendaries, then some cards that are okay.

When I try to do precon deck articles like "how to play this deck and how to make it better" about 50% of the time my initial take is "throw the deck in the garbage".

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Koopa Kid posted:

Maybe the cost is more driven by how much people want to play them. If the value of the reprints is still less than he cost of the deck, then people will just buy the two singles they want. Meanwhile the people intending to play them are gravitating towards “Phyrexian Angel toxic/corrupted” over “Yet-Another-Boros-Equipment”.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Battlebond 👏 Lands 👏 In Every 👏 Precon 👏

Get on it, Wizards.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Toshimo posted:

I was going to dispute this on the grounds of Tainted Strike but I looked it up and it's somehow not above 2 bux. :psyduck:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Battlebond 👏 Lands 👏 In Every 👏 Precon 👏

Get on it, Wizards.

Also, this for sure.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Battlebond lands, check lands, reveal lands (soi/strixhaven) and typed duals(buddy lands, bicycle lands and the kaldheim/dom u common ones at least) should be in every precon
If I see another goddamn Temple (scry or false god) in a precon I'm gonna wedgie Gavin myself

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm not gonna speak for Toshi here but we chat about these things, he knows much more about card value than I do but we largely agree the precons should have more core playable cards like talismans/signets lands that enter untapped and decent interaction (i.e. instant speed removal or counters).

I'd love to see precons come out and have a core of at least maybe 20-30 playable decent cards some set mechanic related cards, several legendaries, then some cards that are okay.

When I try to do precon deck articles like "how to play this deck and how to make it better" about 50% of the time my initial take is "throw the deck in the garbage".

Oh I fully agree but it’s clear WoTC is making a deliberate effort to… not do that so any discussion of a new precon kinda has to accept the reality of the situation.

generatrix posted:

Maybe the cost is more driven by how much people want to play them. If the value of the reprints is still less than he cost of the deck, then people will just buy the two singles they want. Meanwhile the people intending to play them are gravitating towards “Phyrexian Angel toxic/corrupted” over “Yet-Another-Boros-Equipment”.

Yeah that’s what I’m getting at, it’s pretty clear nobody wants to play Boros equipment even if it means spending more on a basically worthless deck. But obviously the logic of “buy the key singles and build the better deck you want” also applies to Corrupting Influence but even more so because there’s not any value in there right?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Oh hey, it's the Commander Mechanic brewin' All Will Be One * click *

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Battlebond lands, check lands, reveal lands (soi/strixhaven) and typed duals(buddy lands, bicycle lands and the kaldheim/dom u common ones at least) should be in every precon
If I see another goddamn Temple (scry or false god) in a precon I'm gonna wedgie Gavin myself

Lands shouldn't be exempt from the one of rule and precons should be packing as many weird lands as they can

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Also wotc needs to stop putting 40 loving lands in every precon, at least two of those common/basic land slots should be more targeted removal or ramp instead

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh I fully agree but it’s clear WoTC is making a deliberate effort to… not do that so any discussion of a new precon kinda has to accept the reality of the situation.

I want to respond to this part of the post directly.

No. This is the internet. This is in fact, amazingly notorious forum Something Awful. I am going to bitch about something stupid that doesn't really matter that isn't going to change from now until the end of my days.

Thank you.

Honestly though I would really appreciate if WotC would just make an effort to put in staple/core cards so decks just have to be improved, not junked. And they do this sometimes, it's bizarre. Prosper was quite solid out of the box, for example.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I was first thinking of making a commander deck, I noticed that I have Captain Ripley Vance which seems like it might be a fun way to go, try to buff her up in three spells to do direct damage to the opposing player and then swing to try to get the rest of the 21 damage. No idea how to make that work, though. And again, no blue, harder to get the search/draw you want.

My other, probably least formed thought, is a UW white weenie with blue utility type deck, I've got Dovin, Grand Arbiter although I've never played with a Planeswalker before so I'm not sure if he's actually good and that seems like it would knock out the ability to win by 21 damage from commander.

Two things I just wanna address here:

1. Commander damage is only tracked through combat. Dealing burn damage with your commander does NOT count for it, and for pretty much exactly the reason you wanted to build Vance: some commanders can chunk out a TON of burn, enough that even the starting 40 life isn't much of a problem for them. Imagine how nuts a card like Heartless Hidetsugu would be if its damage counted for commander damage.

2. Only planeswalkers with the specific "~ can be your commander" text can be your commander. There's an alternate format called Oathbreaker that allows for every planeswalker to be a commander, but I don't know the rules beyond that. For actual Commander, though, it's only legendary creatures and the handful of specific exceptions.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I do agree with the point WotC has made of "if we pack precons full of expensive cards then new players will never be able to buy one because scalpers will buy them all and jack up the price" but at the very least every deck should have every signet/talisman, and the bond lands.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

serefin99 posted:

Two things I just wanna address here:

1. Commander damage is only tracked through combat. Dealing burn damage with your commander does NOT count for it, and for pretty much exactly the reason you wanted to build Vance: some commanders can chunk out a TON of burn, enough that even the starting 40 life isn't much of a problem for them. Imagine how nuts a card like Heartless Hidetsugu would be if its damage counted for commander damage.

2. Only planeswalkers with the specific "~ can be your commander" text can be your commander. There's an alternate format called Oathbreaker that allows for every planeswalker to be a commander, but I don't know the rules beyond that. For actual Commander, though, it's only legendary creatures and the handful of specific exceptions.

Ah, good to know, I didn't know either of those things.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I want to respond to this part of the post directly.

No. This is the internet. This is in fact, amazingly notorious forum Something Awful. I am going to bitch about something stupid that doesn't really matter that isn't going to change from now until the end of my days.

Thank you.

Honestly though I would really appreciate if WotC would just make an effort to put in staple/core cards so decks just have to be improved, not junked. And they do this sometimes, it's bizarre. Prosper was quite solid out of the box, for example.

I’m not trying to say we can’t complain about the way precons are constructed by WoTC, but if that’s your deal then that’s a different topic than “what’s up with the prices between different decks.” Like, saying “hey this precon is bad compared to a real deck” sorta glosses over the fact that there are pretty big differences in value or synergy or fun between precons. You’re explicitly not talking to me about the topic I brought up, you’re grinding a (perfectly valid) axe about WoTC, and that’s fine but that’s not a discussion about the differences between RR and CI in this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Koopa Kid posted:

But obviously the logic of “buy the key singles and build the better deck you want” also applies to Corrupting Influence but even more so because there’s not any value in there right?

No. Buying singles for value and buying precons to play them are two different things.