Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Idk if it's on purpose, but it does kind of add some characterization to this dude being petty enough to throw it in there with the other two. Like, "And he pissed ME off specifically."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

OH NO SNOUT DAD...BAD??????

Monday: no son I'm no longer a Nazi, let's go time travel together. And then Snout makes a :D face.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
No, Monday is an ad for the Kickstarter.

Wednesday - Arudak apologizes to Snout.

And then messes with time and gives Snout a really dorky haircut.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

"I understand why, Jacob; her blowjobs were incredible."

Also I love the rape, murder and jaywalking of "he plans to revive the dead, tamper with the fabric of the universe.... and also stole a handful of paper"

It was his toilet paper, it's a sin to gently caress with a guy's TP. Not cool, bro, not cool at all.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

jacob probably knows arudak was messing around with necromantic stuff and doesn't like it because [some reason probably having to do with "arudak was doing it the wrong way"]

I am not sure what my reaction would be if it turns out that the two cooperated or at least knew of each other in the past because then it's just. wtf.

haaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eight-Six posted:

haaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fits quite appropriately with your avatar.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Honestly I'm glad this is finally getting addressed, during the library trip Arudak blatantly said that he wanted to use Astinoaph to save his dead girlfriend and instead of going "that kinda sounds like the necromancy that created and traumatized Kaianda", Snout just accepted his reasons and gave him a hug. Arudak kept getting a pass even during the lake storyline where he doubted his mission solely because she was "unfaithful", then it turned out she wasn't even that because she'd already left him and moved on with her life!

At no point has Arudak given consideration to what Kazya wanted in life or in death, and if there is even a morsel of good storytelling here this callout will lead to him realizing what an rear end in a top hat he is and leaving Kazya alone to rest in peace. Or maybe bringing her back but only on the condition he stays out of her life forever. But if Milov and Jayden were any indication then there's a not-insignificant chance that redemption will mean getting back together with the ex.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm still laughing at the idea of him pulling out a picture of his dead girlfriend in the middle of this reunion just so he could get sad in front of everyone.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

MiracleFlare posted:

But if Milov and Jayden were any indication then there's a not-insignificant chance that redemption will mean getting back together with the ex.

Speaking of, Siggy was left on a vaguely loose end in the OG run right? I wonder if he might come back for some final reckoning?

Sidenote I will say it's nice that Snout actually looks like he has a snout more often now.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Pyrotoad posted:

Speaking of, Siggy was left on a vaguely loose end in the OG run right? I wonder if he might come back for some final reckoning?

Sidenote I will say it's nice that Snout actually looks like he has a snout more often now.

The last we saw of him, he was eating his dad's severed head in Hell to increase his mana points, so presumably he's still down there.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

if he eats his dad's head maybe he'll inherit his mustache powers

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
God I miss that mustache. It had more character than Snout does.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm still laughing at the idea of him pulling out a picture of his dead girlfriend in the middle of this reunion just so he could get sad in front of everyone.

This isn't even the first time.

This is right after Ink Witch handed Snout a flyer for the Maltak library. Arudak just goes "Hold on a second I need to look at a picture of my dead girlfriend and get sad real quick."

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Look, if there is any other way to show that this guy is grieving for his wife than him pulling out her photograph and looking sad, I sure as hell don't know it. I mean, there's no dialogue, so he can't say "I am grieving for my wife.". If he just looked sad, we have no way of knowing why he's sad. The only way to wordlessly convey anything if to have one panel with Thing, then one panel with Reaction.

This style reminds me of a book I recently gave up on after three chapters filled with "He did thing. He did this because reason. She said thing. She said that because reason."

As demonstrated in this very thread, it's possible for the audience to interfere that Jacob has beef with Arudak because of him trying to ressurrect his wife. You don't need to spell that out over several pages.

Also, Snout is going to look sad, then Arudak will look dramatically sad, then Snout will look conflicted, then he will hug Arudak (in a heterosexual manner) to showcase how kind he is.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, you definitely don't need the picture everytime. We get that Arudak is sad about his wife. Trust your audience more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just be glad he's not showing the sad erection below the camera line.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, you definitely don't need the picture everytime. We get that Arudak is sad about his wife. Trust your audience more.

why should he. all he knows is that they're reading this poo poo

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mookie is so bad at conveying information. As far as we know, Arudak gave up his plans to resurrect his ex-girlfriend the second he found out from the Bog Hag that she was a cheating whore "loved another" (which got retconned later that he knew all along). Yes, Arudak didn't exactly say he was stopping his plan but nothing we've seen had indicated otherwise, other than the knowledge of how Mookie Morality works and that's why Kayza must be punished.

Just lol if it turns out Arudak told Ink Witch and Kaianda he still wanted to revive his GF while Snout was off loving the Bog Hag.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Better Comic Moment: someone confronting Arudak and pointing out that the picture he sadly stares at is from a time farther gone than Kazya is. He misses the person she was in the photo, not the person she would be revived as, adding another layer of selfishness to his goals. Unless he just wants to resurrect her out of guilt and wouldn't be a part of her life once she was back, but I don't think that's really been conveyed.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Do Snouts reproduce by budding? Because those shoulders look ripe

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Hey, do you reproduce by budding, or are you just happy to see me?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

since there's not gonna be a comic update on monday, why not dive into the archives

it's the different fantasy races of dominic deegan (from sometime in the snowsong arc)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I know better than to be annoyed by anatomy here, but the naga is driving me insane.

Yes, it is a fantasy creature, but how the gently caress are those second arms supposed to do poo poo without pectorals and collarbones of their own? They aren't anchored to anything. If his back was turned, I bet he wouldn't have extra shoulderblades, lats or anything.

The others are all just copy pastes of humans with cosplay ears and fangs, which is just bad design, but it makes it worse when the one with the interesting silhouette is just... bad.

I'm not married to 100% scientific accuracy in monsters and am willing to let things like spoon wings on dragons go, but suspension of disbelief is thinner when you hit humanlike traits. Either go full bore bizarro "this thing cannot actually exist" or put some research in.

Or preferably do both, so your weird creatures can get extra weird and upsetting on purpose!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Lol I wrote a post complaining about the same thing but deleted it. The reality is we're both criticizing Mookie at the level he imagines and presents himself as (as accomplished experienced artist with a passion for fantasy artwork), but the reality is that he's at the actual artistic level of a teenager sketching in his book in math class. Of course there's no thought to proper anatomy - that would mean studying anatomy, and Mookie doesn't care about this enough to study!

He thought 'I want to draw a cool snake person [like in my favourite media]' and then he winged it with zero references and zero revisions, and what he drew satisfied his desire to have drawn the thing, and so he stopped thinking about it further.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mookie also traces uses a lot of photo reference, so the messed-up anatomy tends to happen when he's just drawing characters standing around, or in less complex poses that he thinks doesn't require reference. The things he's confident about drawing turn out worse than the stuff he realizes he needs help with.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The races are: 4-armed snake people, elfs, orcs, werewolfs, white people, black people

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
In order to get perfect references, I accidentally taught myself 3D modeling, and now I'm better at getting 3D renders, then I am at drawing from references instead of over them, lmao. It's weird how he didn't just pick a lane and stick with it, so he's bad at both.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mx. posted:

The races are: 4-armed snake people, elfs, orcs, werewolfs, white people, black people

Italian dance-fighting black people

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

In order to get perfect references, I accidentally taught myself 3D modeling, and now I'm better at getting 3D renders, then I am at drawing from references instead of over them, lmao. It's weird how he didn't just pick a lane and stick with it, so he's bad at both.

I'm going to be honest, that's impressive. I've had actual in 3d and even with teachers and classmates to help, it's an incredibly complex discipline to learn. It's gotten much less cumbersome over the years, but I still respect modellers greatly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do love that the chart is two basically-humans, orcs, werewolves, elves, and one actual weird lookin' one.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Mx. posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do love that the chart is two basically-humans, orcs, werewolves, elves, and one actual weird lookin' one.

It might not seem like much, but wait until you hear all the slurs they call each other!

Here is a brief and by no means complete guide to each race's hateful epithets towards the others:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

lol the kickstarter is live and it is US-only

sorry y'all who were hanging out for a copy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

The orcs and werewolves are basically just elves too.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mx. posted:

lol the kickstarter is live and it is US-only

sorry y'all who were hanging out for a copy

Can't believe Mookie would mistreat his vast international fanbase like this.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm not smuggling deegans to y'all, sorry.

Too much of a precious resource, the law would come down on me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Someone pledged $300 to this loving garbage.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

super sweet best pal posted:

Do we know that wasn't his own money? Does Kickstarter prevent you from donating to your own project?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

And it's a rerun of the "design a mongrelfolk and they will appear in Legacy" tier so I guess the comic won't be leaving town for a few months.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

amigolupus posted:

Mookie is so bad at conveying information. As far as we know, Arudak gave up his plans to resurrect his ex-girlfriend the second he found out from the Bog Hag that she was a cheating whore "loved another" (which got retconned later that he knew all along). Yes, Arudak didn't exactly say he was stopping his plan but nothing we've seen had indicated otherwise, other than the knowledge of how Mookie Morality works and that's why Kayza must be punished.

Just lol if it turns out Arudak told Ink Witch and Kaianda he still wanted to revive his GF while Snout was off loving the Bog Hag.

It's all because he's refusing to use dialog without understanding how to not use it. You can convey a lot of information without dialog, but at some point it becomes useful to help bridge things or to deal with more complex information.

For example, in the Godfather, Fredo is a gently caress up. We know that even though it's not until later in the film that any character says that - when Vito basically goes over his children and is just like "eh" when it comes to Fredo.

It's shown to us when Vito gets shot, and he fumbles with his gun and can't even get the guy who shot his father. All he can do is break down and cry.

But dialog also helps us understand Michael's actions. For example, why he decides to kill the police officer. We get to see how coldly logical he can be. We need to hear his thoughts

Of course, you use both dialog and visuals to help tell them story fully. For example, during the dinner when Michael commits his first hit, the lack of subtitles helps the audience understand that he's not paying attention to what's being said, but he's focused on killing. But we have dialog, and you can make out some of what's being said, even if you don't speak Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emrikol posted:

It might not seem like much, but wait until you hear all the slurs they call each other!

Here is a brief and by no means complete guide to each race's hateful epithets towards the others:
That was the space comic where he did that.