Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Rolls-Royce is choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Rolls-Royce is choice.

Cadillacs and Rolls Royce cars once shared the same market segment and prices

Something to think about

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

more like trolls royce, and badillac

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

oh you drive a chevy? yeah im thinkin that ones a lovely.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you make me so loving mad

Comrade soldier... you're done.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Radillac and Rolls-Choice

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the enlgish much like the americans have good cars

cars ftw

watched enough top gear to know the english outside a handful make dreadful cars

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

driving aroudn pittsburgh in my hummer truck

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

driving aroudn pittsburgh in my hummer truck

gently caress you!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Every trucks a Hummer truck with the right guy or gal

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Also

Shiddd

Pisssssssss

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

eXXon posted:

When you ride a horse with Vlad, and he gazes deeply into your soul, chest bare, and whispers

b mad at me posted:

nah more like make common sense mandatory

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tendales posted:

Now I'm not saying anyone SHOULD plow a car into that protest, I'm just saying that would be the objectively funniest possible protest to plow a car into.

In this case you should not say what we're all thinking.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In this case you should not say what we're all thinking.

It would be really funny if someone fixed our broken political system

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

b mad at me posted:

crap, sorry

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

b mad at me posted:

lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://abc7ny.com/pedestrian-killed-nypd-vehicle-officers-injured-queens/12836758/

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7197142659063008558

🥴

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the enlgish much like the americans have good cars

cars ftw

Admittedly, not even talking about cars, but British engine tech/electrical systems were often a generation behind everyone else. MG roadster were rather notorious.

This is an engine from an APC that is still in active service.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Feb 19, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The British exported cars to America with long stroke engines tuned to evade taxes in Britain. They all blew up on American freeways because long stroke engines suck at sustained high speed operation. The British figured that was because the Americans didn't like their cars enough.

Not to dive too deep into carchat, but: when Morris Motors was pushing its cars into the US/Canada in in the late 1940s a consistent problem that emerged was the failure of the clutch release bearing. Morris used simple fibre pads as a release bearing, while Deroit had long ago adopted proper ball-race grease-packed bearings. Faced with travelling long distances at constant speeds, American drivers had grown used to using the clutch pedal as a footrest, which was no problem for a proper bearing but caused the fibre pads on Morris cars to burn up within a few hundred miles.

Morris' American and Canadian agents repeatedly fed this info back to HQ (in Oxford, home of the anti-15-minute city protests, as it happens) and were rebuffed by a letter from William Morris himself saying that if the Americans were going to develop bad habits like resting their foot on the clutch pedal between gearchanges then that was their own problem and they shouldn't be pandered to.

Morris also refused to accept the notion that it could be a bit colder in an American winter than a British one, and resisted calls to fit NA-market cars with pre-engaged starter motors. The inertia starters fitted disengaged the moment the engine fired, which was fine in balmy (barmy?) Britain but useless in an American winter where a cold engine might fire but not run at first.

That's why there's no British motor industry any more. Unfortunately that doesn't stop us buying cars.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The English giving car culture a run for it's money on being idiotic.

I like the little three wheeled cars from top gear though, the ones that were legally not considered cars because the target market were unable to drive. They were small and toppled over if they had to turn or drive in the wind. I may just associate them with the videos where they just repeatedly fell over, which is what should happen to all cars.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BonHair posted:

The English giving car culture a run for it's money on being idiotic.

I like the little three wheeled cars from top gear though, the ones that were legally not considered cars because the target market were unable to drive. They were small and toppled over if they had to turn or drive in the wind. I may just associate them with the videos where they just repeatedly fell over, which is what should happen to all cars.

I might have grown a hate boner for Jeremy Clarkson over time but his take on the Reliant Robin is still one of the funniest bits of British television I’ve ever watched.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
isn't Morris Garages still around? my very British uncle still drives an SUV made by them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Morris (not Mini though), MG, and Austin are all brands by SAIC, a Chinese SoE.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't Morris Garages still around? my very British uncle still drives an SUV made by them

The MG name and badge is, but it's now wholly owned by SAIC, the nationalised Chinese car-making conglomerate, and they are all built in China (and Thailand iirc). SAIC picked up the rights to the marque when it finally withered and died in the 2000s. Interestingly the Standard British Gammon population seems to be 50/50 split on whether buying a new MG is either keeping a Proper British Name Alive or is supporting the Sinister Communist Superpower that does human rights abuses (just like the ones they wish would be done to immigrants crossing the Channel...)

MG isn't the same as Morris, even if that's what the 'M' stands for. William Morris started out selling other people's cars, with a chain of dealerships in Oxford called Morris Garages. He then set up Morris Motors and left Morris Garages in the hands of a friend of his (the brilliantly-British-named Cecil Kimber). Kimber started selling souped-up, sporty-bodied versions of Morris cars through the Morris Garages chain, and then with Bill Morris' financial backing, they set up the MG Car Company to manufacturer and sell sports cars. That then got folded into Morris Motors when Bill liquidated all his business holdings to do philanthropy. Cecil and Bill had a big falling out in the 1940s (everyone ended up falling out with William Morris because in his late-middle age he became an arrogant, small-minded, paranoid prick). Morris cars disappeared in the early 1980s and MG died and reappeared a few times before the Chinese bought it and used it to spear their entry to the European market.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

who owns lotus? i liked when james bond had a submarine one when i was a kid

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

who owns lotus? i liked when james bond had a submarine one when i was a kid

Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., Ltd has a 51% stake, which is wholly owned by Li Shufu

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BalloonFish posted:

The MG name and badge is, but it's now wholly owned by SAIC, the nationalised Chinese car-making conglomerate, and they are all built in China (and Thailand iirc).

Oh hell yeah China stays winning

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tendales posted:

Now I'm not saying anyone SHOULD plow a car into that protest, I'm just saying that would be the objectively funniest possible protest to plow a car into.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

another sunday morning and more assholes tailgating me. what is up with these lunatics - this is not the daytona 500. i feel like an old man yelling at a cloud

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Slider posted:

another sunday morning and more assholes tailgating me. what is up with these lunatics - this is not the daytona 500. i feel like an old man yelling at a cloud

It's incredible the physical and financial risk people are willing to put themselves and others through in an attempt to arrive at their destination a few minutes sooner.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
what the gently caress is a pro-traffic rally

Apr 7, 2003

Homocow posted:

The English language causes brain damage in native speakers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Homocow posted:

the people demand gridlock!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mystes posted:

the people demand gridlock!

... I need to go touch grass because I read that wrong at first.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinking about cars this morning

cars ftw

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thinking about cars this morning

cars ftw

which car do you drive?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McCracAttack posted:

... I need to go touch grass because I read that wrong at first.

...what did you misread it as?

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I might have grown a hate boner for Jeremy Clarkson over time but his take on the Reliant Robin is still one of the funniest bits of British television I’ve ever watched.

Clarkson is pretty funny and also a tremendous dickhead who should gently caress himself is pretty much the default opinion on him I feel

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

which car do you drive?

ford f150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Clarkson is pretty funny and also a tremendous dickhead who should gently caress himself is pretty much the default opinion on him I feel

Which is why watching him crash hits basically all the bases except not giving him money.