Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

External Organs posted:

The kids name is Abra. Candelabra.

Nah, his name is Roman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightbird
Dec 29, 2021
You can't change the volume in my dreams

HD DAD posted:

I got to this point by watching Star Trek: Picard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93w7MpbZRw

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Endless Trash posted:

Etching this into the wooden beam before I kick the chair away

Post-username-avatar triple combo!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Word on the street is indeed that it might be...good?

I don't even trust goons with this poo poo after some dorks in this very thread thought the first ep of second season was "good"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe holo Moriarity knocked up Dr. Crusher

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only 10 minutes into the episode where the teleporter makes an evil Kirk but I'm confident in saying it's the funniest thing anyone has ever filmed ever.

Yeoman Rand seems to exist only to be sexually menaced. I don't think she has done anything in any of these episodes except get accosted.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 19, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PostNouveau posted:

Can't believe holo Moriarity knocked up Dr. Crusher

she likes ghosts ok?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So they've literally just left the season 2 threat hanging. Jesus Christ, how do these people sleep at night? And why hasn't anyone interviewing them asked what the gently caress was supposed to have happened?

Season 2 was tax write off that CBS decided release to the public instead of lock up in a vault or burn every copy of like Warner Bros. has started doing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PostNouveau posted:

Yeoman Rand seems to exist only to be sexually menaced. I don't think she has done anything in any of these episodes except get accosted.

Yeah, I've got bad news about why Grace Lee Whitney left the show.

Wikipedia posted:

Whitney appeared in eight of the first 15 episodes, after which she was released from contract. She said that, while still under contract, she was sexually assaulted by an executive associated with the series. Later, in a public interview, she stated that Leonard Nimoy had been her main source of support during that time. She went into more details about the assault in her book The Longest Trek, but refused to name the executive, saying in the book, "This is my story, not his."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, I've got bad news about why Grace Lee Whitney left the show.

Goddamn! It was happening in real life too!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn! It was happening in real life too!

There's a lot of poo poo in Hollywood that happens because some Weinstein-type perv wanted to see a particular actress do a particular thing, and when it happens, they're usually trying to get the actress to act out their fetishes offscreen too. It's hosed.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the producers!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So they've literally just left the season 2 threat hanging. Jesus Christ, how do these people sleep at night? And why hasn't anyone interviewing them asked what the gently caress was supposed to have happened?

I guess we're supposed to assume it all worked out? The good borg had a plan to deal with it, they just needed starfleet to help/not freak out. Once the plan is in motion they don't need a retired admiral around to oversee things.

Seems like at least several months have gone by since the end of season two. Picard went home, started a relationship with Laris, and planned to move to another system. That's plenty of time for the borg emergency to have been resolved.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Giving up a child for adoption seems out of character for Dr. Crusher.

As far as retcon and fanfic go, I could justify it as a combination of a lot of factors.

She'd already almost lost Wesley a few times on the Enterprise and lost a husband to Starfleet service. Even if Picard was suddenly agreeable to having children on the ship, she could be concerned that she might lose both of her kids on the same ship should something happen. Not to mention Picard doesn't seem like he was a guy in the first part of TNG who particularly wanted a family so throwing that up on him might make him change a lot of his professional choices out of a sense of responsibility.

Not to mention, she's still freaking out over being the dancing doctor. Imagine how she'd react to the names people would have for her if it got out she had Picard's secret love child.

Riker alone probably had a whole PADD of smug comments to make to both her and the Captain. Jean-Luc Fuckard, Dr. Smasher, etc.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess we're supposed to assume it all worked out? The good borg had a plan to deal with it, they just needed starfleet to help/not freak out. Once the plan is in motion they don't need a retired admiral around to oversee things.

Seems like at least several months have gone by since the end of season two. Picard went home, started a relationship with Laris, and planned to move to another system. That's plenty of time for the borg emergency to have been resolved.

Lol definitely seems like it should be an off-screen thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Facebook Aunt posted:

since one of the supposedly main characters becomes the borg queen after they go back in time the whole thing technically shouldn't have happened anyway. it's a perfect metaphor for the season itself

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i can't even remember her name at the moment. for some reason i want to say "jorti" but i'm high and that seems too funny to be it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's Jurassic

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i can't even remember her name at the moment. for some reason i want to say "jorti" but i'm high and that seems too funny to be it

this is now canon

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

Jurati.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
now i want jorts to be in star trek

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

riker wearing too-short jorts and doing the riker maneuver to sit down is now canon

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kesper North posted:

As long as they don't replace skants

nightbird
Dec 29, 2021
You can't change the volume in my dreams

blatman posted:

riker wearing too-short jorts and doing the riker maneuver to sit down is now canon

you want a Mr. Belvedere kind of work stoppage? because that's how you get a Mr. Belvedere kind of work stoppage

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Jurati.

Jabooti.

Beeftweeter posted:

since one of the supposedly main characters becomes the borg queen after they go back in time the whole thing technically shouldn't have happened anyway. it's a perfect metaphor for the season itself

Again, I just keep thinking about how nuts Season 2 of Picard must have been from the POV of the Stargazer bridge crew. You're at your station manning the helm trying to mind your own business while your captain (a guy who was unemployed about a month ago) lights up a stogie on the bridge while his weirdo girlfriend...-ish drunkenly stumbles around the bridge like it's a jungle gym and tries to do the science officer's job for him. You then warp out to inspect some space thingie and it turns out that it's The Borg, and they only want to talk to Admiral Picard. So Picard shows up and says "Hello" and the Borg respond by immediately beaming their Queen over and trying to take over the ship.

A fire fight erupts and you can hear Captain Nepotism in the background screaming at everyone to cease fire, yet more security goons keep flooding in from the turbolifts and just unloading in the direction of the viewscreen to zero effect. Picard activates the self destruct and you begin crying and pissing yourself because you're about to die and then when the timer suddenly gets to one, the old man goes "Ehh, nevermind. Cancel auto destruct."

You look up from under the cover of your console to discover that Captain... what was his name again, Ross? Ringo? Rivera? Eh who gives a poo poo, anyway, he's gone, just not loving there anymore, and neither is his weirdo girlfriend, but the XO of the Excelsior is now suddenly there on the bridge with everyone, so that's new. Oh and I guess Captain Retcon's weirdo ex-girlfriend actually IS still there, she's now the Borg Queen... what?

Anyway, Queen Jabroni or whatever the hell her last name was says a space diarrhea thing is about to erupt and kill everyone in the Alpha Quadrant and they need all of Starfleet to stop it, so it's time to go warp off to avert that crisis. Picard then makes some random woman who was famous like 20 years ago for surviving the Delta Quadrant on Voyager the captain now, because that's just what Picard does now, just makes people captains like he's the loving Queen of England knighting people, and you go zip off to save the day from the space goatse hole thing.

Then Picard goes back to his vineyard, the Borg Queen goes back to her Borg palace ship and you're left standing there going "I'm sorry, WHAT THE FU--"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTF0Yq1_0Og

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 19, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's really funny that there are multiple completely valid reasons why that entire season just should not have happened at all

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Jabooti.

Again, I just keep thinking about how nuts Season 2 of Picard must have been from the POV of the Stargazer bridge crew. You're at your station manning the helm trying to mind your own business while your captain (a guy who was unemployed about a month ago) lights up a stogie on the bridge while his weirdo girlfriend...-ish drunkenly stumbles around the bridge like it's a jungle gym and tries to do the science officer's job for him. You then warp out to inspect some space thingie and it turns out that it's The Borg, and they only want to talk to Admiral Picard. So Picard shows up and says "Hello" and the Borg respond by immediately beaming their Queen over and trying to take over the ship.

A fire fight erupts and you can hear Captain Nepotism in the background screaming at everyone to cease fire, yet more security goons keep flooding in from the turbolifts and just unloading in the direction of the viewscreen to zero effect. Picard activates the self destruct and you begin crying and pissing yourself because you're about to die and then when the timer suddenly gets to one, the old man goes "Ehh, nevermind. Cancel auto destruct."

You look up from under the cover of your console to discover that Captain... what was his name again, Ross? Ringo? Rivera? Eh who gives a poo poo, anyway, he's gone, just not loving there anymore, and neither is his weirdo girlfriend, but the XO of the Excelsior is now suddenly there on the bridge with everyone, so that's new. Oh and I guess Captain Retcon's weirdo ex-girlfriend actually IS still there, she's now the Borg Queen... what?

Anyway, Queen Jabroni or whatever the hell her last name was says a space diarrhea thing is about to erupt and kill everyone in the Alpha Quadrant and they need all of Starfleet to stop it, so it's time to go warp off to avert that crisis. Picard then makes some random woman who was famous like 20 years ago for surviving the Delta Quadrant on Voyager the captain now, because that's just what Picard does now, just makes people captains like he's the loving Queen of England knighting people, and you go zip off to save the day from the space goatse hole thing.

Then Picard goes back to his vineyard, the Borg Queen goes back to her Borg palace ship and you're left standing there going "I'm sorry, WHAT THE FU--"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTF0Yq1_0Og

Hmm, needs more Worf

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

it's really funny that there are multiple completely valid reasons why that entire season just should not have happened at all

The only explanation I can come up with is that they needed something to act as a stopgap to buy them time to work on making Season 3 the best possible version of itself that they could make in their limited scope of competence, so Season 2 was a piece of sacrificial trash that everyone knew going into it was going to be a disaster which they farmed out to the lowest bidding contractors to make fast and cheap with the mandate of disposing of all the pieces that didn't fit into their plans for the story they really wanted to tell (Season 3) as ruthlessly as possible.

It was a season that literally no one wanted to make, and yet they HAD to make it otherwise, so they just quarter-assed their way through it, where as Season 1 and hopefully Season 3 at least reached the heights of half-assed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Crusher: I trained him with an English accent as a joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

Crusher: I trained him with an English accent as a joke.

Accents are genetic :colbert:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
At least they didn't make him bald like his clone-kid-brother Shinbone from Star Trek 10.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cthulu Carl posted:

As long as they don't replace skants

unlikely! jorts is a cat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
7 of 9 went from vigilante murderer to XO of the Titan just on the word of Picard and Janeway. Starfleet was just like "Yeah, we'll jump you about 8 steps in your career. As long as Picard is cool with you."

It seems like she was even forced on Shaw because he shits on her a bunch even before she drags the ship off-course and sneers at her being ex-Borg.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

7 of 9 went from vigilante murderer to XO of the Titan just on the word of Picard and Janeway. Starfleet was just like "Yeah, we'll jump you about 8 steps in your career. As long as Picard is cool with you."

It seems like she was even forced on Shaw because he shits on her a bunch even before she drags the ship off-course and sneers at her being ex-Borg.

I mean, this is par for the course for both Picard and Janeway. Picard got a guy who'd been washed out of Starfleet for over a decade and living in a space RV in a drunken haze for most that time a job as the captain of the most advanced ship in the fleet, seemingly against the dude's will on his word alone. Janeway got a bunch of kids who stole an advanced prototype starship and were an accessory to the deaths of thousands and the destruction of dozens, possibly hundreds of Starfleet vessels advanced placement in Starfleet Academy as warrant officers, also on her word alone. Having them both show up in a room at the same time and go "Hire this woman" is the Starfleet equivalent to Literally God showing up and telling you to do something. And you don't ask the Almighty for his ID.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, this is par for the course for both Picard and Janeway. Picard got a guy who'd been washed out of Starfleet for over a decade and living in a space RV in a drunken haze for most that time a job as the captain of the most advanced ship in the fleet, seemingly against the dude's will on his word alone. Janeway got a bunch of kids who stole an advanced prototype starship and were an accessory to the deaths of thousands and the destruction of dozens, possibly hundreds of Starfleet vessels advanced placement in Starfleet Academy as warrant officers, also on her word alone. Having them both show up in a room at the same time and go "Hire this woman" is the Starfleet equivalent to Literally God showing up and telling you to do something. And you don't ask the Almighty for his ID.

But what does, God, need, with an XO?? :confused:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

JediTalentAgent posted:

As far as retcon and fanfic go, I could justify it as a combination of a lot of factors.

She'd already almost lost Wesley a few times on the Enterprise and lost a husband to Starfleet service. Even if Picard was suddenly agreeable to having children on the ship, she could be concerned that she might lose both of her kids on the same ship should something happen. Not to mention Picard doesn't seem like he was a guy in the first part of TNG who particularly wanted a family so throwing that up on him might make him change a lot of his professional choices out of a sense of responsibility.

Not to mention, she's still freaking out over being the dancing doctor. Imagine how she'd react to the names people would have for her if it got out she had Picard's secret love child.

Riker alone probably had a whole PADD of smug comments to make to both her and the Captain. Jean-Luc Fuckard, Dr. Smasher, etc.

Look whatever your personal fanfiction kink is good for you or whatever but I refuse to accept the idea that TNG Crusher would behave like that. Like not only does birth control definitely exist in the 24th century, the idea that Beverly Crusher would have a secret baby and not tell the baby's father or her friends is fuckin bonkers, that doesn't make sense for the character at all. She is consistently written as a logical and emotionally mature person. She's also a very good and close friend to Picard, like she would not just assume he wouldn't want to be a part of his child's life and deny him that opportunity, especially after the whole situation with Jason Vigo where it was clear that he was ready to be a part of his life and felt robbed by not knowing. She's also a very good mother and wouldn't deny her child access to a father and the support of Crusher's friends. I mean, like I think the show Picard would go with a storyline that dumb but I do not think it's a remotely believable retcon. Aaaah it makes me so mad!

Tighclops posted:

It's Sela. It's the romulans. It's daimon bock and Jason vigo teaming up for some reason. Nagilum returns and he's pissed. Fuckin Armus too

I would love to see Nagilum again. He was fun and they never actually defeated that dude.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Kesper North posted:

Geordi & Jorti in jorts. Temba, his arms wide.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hmm, needs more Worf

This and other things said by the utterly deranged.

nine-gear crow posted:

Janeway got a bunch of kids who stole an advanced prototype starship and were an accessory to the deaths of thousands and the destruction of dozens, possibly hundreds of Starfleet vessels advanced placement in Starfleet Academy as warrant officers

Salvaged, not stole. It was in an asteroid when they found it.

Also they were very specifically trying to do the opposite of destroying all those ships and it was Starfleet themselves who triggered the event.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Shaw hasn’t earned the right to be that dickish. Only admirals get to be that that level of insufferable.

But you do bring up a good point. The joke in this thread is that starfleet admirals are a whole extra level of demanding psychopaths on their starfleet subordinates. Picard and Janeway became the very thing they had to fight against with promotion.

Also, 1) Voyager Seven of Nine would’ve never suffered victimhood under Shaw and 2)that kind of blanket discrimination wouldn’t happen in Roddenberry’s utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

Shaw hasn’t earned the right to be that dickish. Only admirals get to be that that level of insufferable.

But you do bring up a good point. The joke in this thread is that starfleet admirals are a whole extra level of demanding psychopaths on their starfleet subordinates. Picard and Janeway became the very thing they had to fight against with promotion.

Also, 1) Voyager Seven of Nine would’ve never suffered victimhood under Shaw and 2)that kind of blanket discrimination wouldn’t happen in Roddenberry’s utopia.

I liked Shaw right up to that point. Too far, man.