Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Company valuations tend to be a lot of bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just going all in on sandwiches.com in early 2000.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think Twitter was ever valued at $44 billion? That's just what Elon godfather offered at for whatever stupid reasons he had.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Wasn't Twitters whole issue that they couldn't make a profit? How is a company valued at $44 billion when it can't figure out how to make money?

money isn't real

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Papercut posted:

I don't think Twitter was ever valued at $44 billion? That's just what Elon godfather offered at for whatever stupid reasons he had.

Which is specifically why the Twitter board raced to solidify the deal before he sobered up - there was no conceivable way even to cook the books and come out with that number. When you're offered a vastly excessive amount of money for your asset by a buffoon, you say yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Papercut posted:

His whole thing was bidding to take the company private at a valuation of $54.20 per share, because he wanted to make a weed joke.

That's it. That's how it got to $44 billion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“Valuation” is always a virtual number, there’s no master ledger somewhere full of thoroughly thought-out company appraisals. It’s just the current stock price times the total number of shares, the total amount of value controlled by the company’s shareholders at a given moment

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 19, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

He was really impatient and wanted to rush the deal along, so he made an offer they'd be foolish to refuse, substantially overpaying and letting them pretty much dictate whatever terms they wanted in the sale deal. When tech markets took a dip shortly after, he sobered up and tried to back out, but they'd locked him in real good with that contract.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

I think you're underestimating just how much money $44 billion is, and overestimating how much money rich people could potentially save from yet even more tax breaks.

There are only 25 people in the history of humanity that have even had a net worth of at least $44 billion. The top marginal tax rate in the U.S. is 37%, so even if we assume that this rich person is actually paying this to begin with on all of his various income (he's not), and we assume his propaganda machine successfully got this down to 0%, he'd need to earn an additional $119 billion to get his $44 billion in tax breaks.

Only the top three richest people ever have even had $119 billion.

Musk made an absolutely terrible :airquote:investment:airquote:.

Musk did not pony up the entire purchase price himself, it's a highly leveraged deal and there are some banks and some Gulf petro-barons that are going to take a large bath on this when it's all said and done.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

haveblue posted:

“Valuation” is always a virtual number, there’s no master ledger somewhere full of thoroughly thought-out company appraisals. It’s just the current stock price times the total number of shares, the total amount of value controlled by the company’s shareholders at a given moment

Like this is true, but there's still a few pretty broad general guidelines for how much a companies "worth" based on a few different things. Like it's hard to say how much Twitter is "worth" but pretty much ever still agrees Musk paid far, far to much for it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Inferior Third Season posted:

I think you're underestimating just how much money $44 billion is, and overestimating how much money rich people could potentially save from yet even more tax breaks.

There are only 25 people in the history of humanity that have even had a net worth of at least $44 billion. The top marginal tax rate in the U.S. is 37%, so even if we assume that this rich person is actually paying this to begin with on all of his various income (he's not), and we assume his propaganda machine successfully got this down to 0%, he'd need to earn an additional $119 billion to get his $44 billion in tax breaks.

Only the top three richest people ever have even had $119 billion.

Musk made an absolutely terrible :airquote:investment:airquote:.

One of the effects of a single Republican president in office for four years: https://itep.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/ITEP-Bonus-Depreciation-brief-2022.pdf

I dunno, seems like spending billions in information control can eventually pay off.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 19, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Automata 10 Pack posted:

One of the effects of a single Republican president in office for four years: https://itep.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/ITEP-Bonus-Depreciation-brief-2022.pdf

I dunno, seems like spending billions in information control can eventually pay off.

Did you just look up "Trump tax break totals" and paste the first result that showed big numbers? If anything, this does a pretty good job of supporting ITS's point. The combined effect of the tax breaks over 4 years on 23 massive companies with $890 billion in profits was about $107 billion. I'm not gonna do the math on the supposed valuation/market cap of those companies combined, but we're talking a figure that would easily be several trillion dollars. Meanwhile Musk and his financiers bought Twitter at a comically-overvalued $44 billion valuation and the company had net losses of hundreds of millions a year even before he took over and scared off the advertisers. You're trying to make comparisons between situations that are different by several orders of magnitude.

So no, it doesn't matter how good your accountant is, there is no "tax break" that is going to pay for the value of the worthless company you just bought. What a bizarre thing to say and then double down on.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Not saying Musk made a good decision, since he’s an idiot who can’t manage Twitter. But yeah, a single new policy netted the 1%, 109 billion dollars as a result of a single GOP presidential election, so far. That’s 4-13 billion dollars for many companies on that list, so far. A policy that hasn’t been disarmed yet and if history has anything to go by, won’t be disarmed.

And this is just one of the ways the 1% profited off of a single one term GOP presidency.

And you have ownership of Twitter, which is responsible for driving the cultural change of many things over the past fourteen years. (Most recently, the horrific tide of legislation aimed at genociding trans folk.)

So yeah, under the right hands. $44 billion dollars for ownership of one of the core pillars of global information control would be a decent investment if it was in more competent hands. Musk? no. But Twitter has/had more to offer than just the profit it generates off of ads for gacha games or whatever.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 20, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think billionaires really want to lose money so other billionaires can be richer. That goes against the idea of keeping score.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And remember, for these people it literally is a high score.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

I don't think billionaires really want to lose money so other billionaires can be richer. That goes against the idea of keeping score.
It’s true, billionaires never spend any money on getting Republicans elected, because they can’t stand seeing other billionaires get money.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 20, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They spend money on getting Republicans elected so THEY can make more money. It's an investment. The point I am making is that in your scenario Musk would be taking a huge loss that he will never recover before he dies, simply to make his peers more money. Which is not how billionaires, or anyone really, thinks. He can never personally make back that investment no matter how competent he might have been at manipulating public opinion through twitter.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, there's a tweet about an excerpt from a Chinese Passenger Car Association criticizing Tesla that has been getting attention because Twitter pops up this message when anyone interacts with it...
https://twitter.com/ObeseChess/status/1627840456091668480?s=20

It's not just likes, but retweets, bookmarks, etc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Edit: Lol might have been wrong too per other thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Young Freud posted:

So, there's a tweet about an excerpt from a Chinese Passenger Car Association criticizing Tesla that has been getting attention because Twitter pops up this message when anyone interacts with it...
https://twitter.com/ObeseChess/status/1627840456091668480?s=20

It's not just likes, but retweets, bookmarks, etc.

I think we're heading into 320 liability territory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is section 320?

Edit: \/ Oh cool. I really thought there was some other crazy thing now.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is section 320?

Sorry, that should be 230.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Reddit gold, but on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/Tree_of_Alpha/status/1628466657789202440?s=20
Someone had mentioned that Elon felt like he was more like a redditor than a Twitter user, and this is just really cementing that view.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Of all the poo poo he's done, that's... surprisingly not awful. People love cheering bits or throwing coins or whatever the gently caress, it's a win-win to allow for it to happen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't use reddit, what is this?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Soonmot posted:

You know when you buy games on Steam now you get Steam points?
If you look at a review for a game you can give those reviews Awards using your points.
Its like that except you are giving Elon money to do so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soonmot posted:

It's like in-game currency, but for Twitter. You buy a supply of them and then spend them on exclusive site features like doing a special super-like on someone's post. The real money means they're a lot rarer and perceived to have higher value

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

PT6A posted:

Of all the poo poo he's done, that's... surprisingly not awful. People love cheering bits or throwing coins or whatever the gently caress, it's a win-win to allow for it to happen.

Those systems all work cos they're integrated into live streaming features. Sucking up to Twitter main characters is just sad by comparison.

At least with the likes of Twitch people are generally pulling in the same direction - Twitter is inevitably going to be used as a way of owning peoples' posting enemies in an especially pathetic way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's like in-game currency, but for Twitter. You buy a supply of them and then spend them on exclusive site features like doing a special super-like on someone's post. The real money means they're a lot rarer and perceived to have higher value

okay, i've felt like I don't get the internet until right now. I'm offically an old because why the gently caress would you do this?

\//\/that makes sense

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 24, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Soonmot posted:

okay, i've felt like I don't get the internet until right now. I'm offically an old because why the gently caress would you do this?

It's like throwing a $20 bill at a street performer, except instead you're throwing virtual quarters at people who did a viral tweet or something

It's just tipping. "I liked your tweet and want to pay you a buck for a tweet well done (or because I'm a creepy internet weirdo who wants to buy a moment of your attention)".

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It's like the inverse of buying someone an embarrassing avatar on SA.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Imagine if you could emptyquote a post here, but if you gave jeffery $5 it would have a flashing border. $10 and it's in a fancier font

Hang on, gotta post in QCS about revenue stream ideas

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

It's like throwing a $20 bill at a street performer, except instead you're throwing virtual quarters at people who did a viral tweet or something

It's just tipping. "I liked your tweet and want to pay you a buck for a tweet well done (or because I'm a creepy internet weirdo who wants to buy a moment of your attention)".

More like giving a street performer a card that says "you're awesome!" that you paid someone else $20 for.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Okay, so this is close to confirmation on something that popped up yesterday, but Musk decided to not pay Slack for their communications service the engineers were using and they all got cut off yesterday without warning... https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1628923615982022656?t=ZqBj8vXHPP7Zp0NZK3r-Sw&s=19

Edit: Apparently, Jira is well-known to be integrated with Slack, which is probably why Twitter engineering was using it, so Jira being broken with Slack being removed is HOLY gently caress! for engineering.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 24, 2023

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fister Roboto posted:

More like giving a street performer a card that says "you're awesome!" that you paid someone else $20 for.

And the performer can then turn in that card for $15.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Young Freud posted:

Okay, so this is close to confirmation on something that popped up yesterday, but Musk decided to not pay Slack for their communications service the engineers were using and they all got cut off yesterday without warning... https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1628923615982022656?t=ZqBj8vXHPP7Zp0NZK3r-Sw&s=19

Edit: Apparently, Jira is well-known to be integrated with Slack, which is probably why Twitter engineering was using it, so Jira being broken with Slack being removed is HOLY gently caress! for engineering.
Yeah I'm not sure that trying to play the big bully with certain companies is going to work out well for Musk's Twitter. Slack is owned by Salesforce. Salesforce is in the top half of the Fortune 500 companies, with a net worth as of February 22, 2023 of $161.62B.

Edit: Slack itself was bought for almost $30B and no, the worth/paid price ratio is not at all similar to the oneusk has paid for Twitter.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2023

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 25, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There is no bigot so foul that Elon will not pander to them and their supporters.

https://twitter.com/ericbrownzzz/status/1629556835513401345?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I'm not sure that trying to play the big bully with certain companies is going to work out well for Musk's Twitter. Slack is owned by Salesforce. Salesforce is in the top half of the Fortune 500 companies, with a net worth as of February 22, 2023 of $161.62B.

Edit: Slack itself was bought for almost $30B and no, the worth/paid price ratio is not at all similar to the oneusk has paid for Twitter.

Just a coincidence, but Slack apparently banned one of Elon's favorite tweeters, Libs Of TikTok, from their service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm doing the retweet of this news because people might have forgotten her cheering on Musk for pushing all the Twitter employees to sleep in at the office...
https://twitter.com/punished_cait/status/1629927460417544197?s=20
Twitter Blue was Crawford's baby, so I'd guess that things aren't going well with subscribers.

Apparently a bunch of the Musk loyalists got purged in this latest round of layoffs.
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1629882863507357696?s=20

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 26, 2023