Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Well specifically he is saying its private shareholders are dominated by oligarchs.

Nah he's saying the whole thing is. He says it clearer in the Radio War Nerd interview.
"...Gazprom, which is controlled by oligarchs..."
It's a minor thing of seemingly little consequence but it really stood out to me and I wondered if I was missing something, but Gazprom's chairman and CEO are both ex ministers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpGH0BpOnk&t=693s

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Russia had already shut down Nordstream before the blasts, and nobody has attempted to use the surviving pipeline since. Why would the other three pipelines being intact have led to Europe receiving any more gas this winter?

The thing that makes me doubt the US is responsible most is that Russia's reaction does not seem genuine. I would have expected more anger and retaliation for having had their infrastructure destroyed, but they seem a lot more interested in framing this as an attack on Germany and trying to sow division within the NATO block.

If Russia frames thew bombing as an attack on Russia then Germans (idiots) will think it was good.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Instead of giving it to the big bad fascist in Russia, they're now paying $$$ directly into the hands of Turkey and Azerbaijan, countries that actively wish to genocide their neighbors. Hell the Azeris actively cleansed an area last year. You get to feel good though at least.

👍

I'm not sure how many euros see Armenians as white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
"we're wasting billions on the ukraine when you are paying more for your gas and groceries" is going to be a winning argument in the next election, sorry libs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The war can keep going through all of '23, but '24 is going to be interesting with all the elections happening that year.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Nah he's saying the whole thing is. He says it clearer in the Radio War Nerd interview.
"...Gazprom, which is controlled by oligarchs..."
It's a minor thing of seemingly little consequence but it really stood out to me and I wondered if I was missing something, but Gazprom's chairman and CEO are both ex ministers.

Also to be fair, plenty of Russians and Westerners call both state and non-state officials controlling government entities and assets in Russia as oligarchs. I don't think it is correct but people keep yelling at me they need to privatize everything because "oligarchs already control it.” It is a "which one is it" situation.

Weka posted:

I'm not sure how many euros see Armenians as white.

The whiteness of people has always been about their utility, Armenians are European or Asiatic depending on what they can get out of them. Unfortunately, for the Armenians, they don't have much leverage...

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Feb 19, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's true that I don't support the confederacy, in spite of them being on the right side of that chart.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I saw some reporting that the surviving pipeline is likely because the Biden administration’s delays or even the concept of the bombs remaining underwater for extended periods of time caused two of them to fail.

I wonder if they’ve been recovered, that would be interesting to know.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

It's true that I don't support the confederacy, in spite of them being on the right side of that chart.

you should explain more about how Russians are the same as the confederates, you probably have some interesting points to make

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1626667164965953541

thank u brandon

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the longer it goes on the less they have to pay

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

meanwhile we're looking real hard at cutting social security

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The war can keep going through all of '23, but '24 is going to be interesting with all the elections happening that year.

IIRC we have yet to vote out a wartime president, you might have stumbled upon Joe's plan.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Seems like the Ukrainian state is not doing so awesome

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Seems like the Ukrainian state is not doing so awesome

we're going to help the ukranian people with things we refuse to fund domestically

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IMO, garnish the Democrat party's income until the money they sent gets paid back.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol it might be easier to just use the precedent of 1871's Virginia v West Virginia and admit Ukraine as a state, if American taxpayers are now funding it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

If Europe keeps their heads of government at the seafloor, it might explain some of the decision-making

How well does lettuce keep under high pressure?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

any updates on the War?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CODChimera posted:

any updates on the War?

its bad imo

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

lol it might be easier to just use the precedent of 1871's Virginia v West Virginia and admit Ukraine as a state, if American taxpayers are now funding it.

That feels rude to PR, even though they don't really seem to want to be a state currently.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

any updates on the War?

lots of working class on both sides continue to die while the computer toucher class posts videos of their deaths

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

thank u brandon

lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They're pushing the "Germany should feel very mad about this and maybe side with Russia now" angle plenty. It makes sense if their goal was to drive a wedge between NATO allies rather than to start a fight with the US (or UK, I guess, initially - must have dropped that narrative because it was so clearly absurd). But if they actually were attacked they'd surely want to make some kind of response so as to avoid sending a signal that the US can just destroy any Russian assets it wants with no consequences.

This first section can be entirely true and not disprove anything. This is certainly their tactic, but that doesn't mean anything wrt who blew up the pipeline.

The second section is nonsense.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

but if they do that they’ll have to stop paying those pensions :ohdear:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

but if they do that they’ll have to stop paying those pensions :ohdear:

pensions and healthcare for thee, but not for mee

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I wonder how many of these pensioners are old people from Soviet times. I would say it is good that Biden is committed to funding the Soviet Union’s human welfare programs but I can’t help but think that “entitlement reform” commitments from Ukraine will be a condition for US aid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Well, I'd rather be wrong about a bad joke than be in a thread with confederate defenders. Glad this one worked out in all our favor.

Agreed. I'm personally very worried about this growing trend of so-called "leftists" supporting the confederacy...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Russia refusing to go all-in on pinning Nordstream on the US demonstrates more restraint than the US itself is willing to exhibit.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Ytlaya posted:

Agreed. I'm personally very worried about this growing trend of so-called "leftists" supporting the confederacy...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I saw some reporting that the surviving pipeline is likely because the Biden administration’s delays or even the concept of the bombs remaining underwater for extended periods of time caused two of them to fail.

I wonder if they’ve been recovered, that would be interesting to know.

https://news.yahoo.com/finnish-seismologists-detect-five-blasts-111838673.html

collected and demoed in October

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Well, I'd rather be wrong about a bad joke than be in a thread with confederate defenders. Glad this one worked out in all our favor.

theres no mods here for you to impress with this weird gimmick anymore so you can stop if you want

but i can't deprive you of agency, so please continue

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

1971 certainly seems to me to have been one of those situations where a regional power interest and the cause of human dignity harmonised well enough that one could make a strong case for india being the progressive side in that war

uh actually one side full of british trained military officers with delusions of racial superiority working for uncle sam were the same as the other side that was soviet allied and was led by the subcontinental equivalent of a diversity poster.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Where's my $600, shitbird

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

nomad2020 posted:

IIRC we have yet to vote out a wartime president, you might have stumbled upon Joe's plan.

Trump had Afghanistan still going. The USA being what it is almost every president that's been voted out has been a wartime president I'd wager.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

i have a theory about people conspiring to call things conspiracy theories that are actually conspiracy FACT

That's just c-c-c-crazy talk my friend. Sounds like a conspiracy theory itself! Haw-haw!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God americans are such cucked peons lol their government has enough money to pay OTHER PEOPLES PENSIONS to keep them in a war while americans are literally incapable of paying health insurance, just unbelievable peasants.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah so thats why Ohio isn't getting a cent to clean up a chemical whoopsie.

Al-Saqr posted:

God americans are such cucked peons lol their government has enough money to pay OTHER PEOPLES PENSIONS to keep them in a war while americans are literally incapable of paying health insurance, just unbelievable peasants.

It's the power of double think and the fact its worked for decades shows they'll never shake it off.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If those pensions aren’t paid the public order penalty will be so high a babushka rebellion army will spawn by Kyiv and take the city in a single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CongoJack posted:

If those pensions aren’t paid the public order penalty will be so high a babushka rebellion army will spawn by Kyiv and take the city in a single turn.

No need to pay pensions if you just conscript them all.

(taps side of nose)

No legs? No problem. You can still sit in chair, now just sitting in trench also.

edit - The sooner Ukraine conscripts everyone with a pulse that isn't in uniform yet to fill those trenches, women, children, elderly and especially the elderly women caring for the orphan children, the sooner victory is assured!

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:04 on Feb 19, 2023