Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i think dumbasses get tricked by his stupid house building bullshit, obungler doesnt even try to pretend haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wtf carter died in november

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
he appointed Paul Volcker to the Fed! gently caress you!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget Pol Pot

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

What's Willas opinion of jimmy

Couldn't stand him & never voted for him in either year's primary or g.e. His eyes scared me. I went & yelled at rosalynn in grant park one year bc she & jimmeh opposed the ERA.

His post-presidential redemption tour was good tho, and he got a lot of people involved in habitat for humanity.

As others have said at least he did more with his retirement than accruing more money & riding the grift train. Maybe it was repentance for handing the country over to reagan.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

young'uns like to blame boomers for reagan but it was really carter who should get nailed for that. Plus, you know, the iranian revolutionaries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Willa Rogers posted:

Couldn't stand him & never voted for him in either year's primary or g.e. His eyes scared me. I went & yelled at rosalynn in grant park one year bc she & jimmeh opposed the ERA.

😍😍😍

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the neoliberalization and tearing down of the New Deal consensus that people blame Reagan for starting really has its roots in Carter, no? Even them it seems silly to attribute this stuff to individual administrations, feels like it was inevitable at that point.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

good riddance to history's greatest monster

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

im shocked that kind of decision isnt finalized already, but besides wheeling Joe out to wave and say things are great before putting him back in the Bacta Tank, what of import is going to happen at the dnc?

yeah, it'd be nice if they went the way of 5-day office weeks post-pandemic but those lobbyists aren't going to throw parties for themselves.

they super-scaled back 2020 & did a lot of stuff remotely, and that'll prolly be the template for the foreseeable future.

but I agree, seems kind of late in the game when it comes to room blocks and lining up floor space.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

They've always been racist & homophobic & sexist!

It's not even just that - mainstream Democratic views on topics like gay or trans people were completely indistinguishable from those of contemporary Republicans as recently as like 10-15 years ago.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Carter:

* deregulated the trucking industry
* deregulated the airline industry
* pardoned the My Lai guy
* ended the Church Commission reform effort
* supported the genocide in East Timor
* supported a coup in Turkey
* began Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan

in a lot of ways he was the proto-Obama

i didn't care before but i'm glad he's dead now

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Carter's agriculture policies deepened the fuckover of the global south by giving subsidies to farmers to produce corn at a loss for the new high fructose syrup market

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
He helped build houses. I forgive him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

motherfucker deregulated the airline industry

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

Back in 1981, while he was preparing to start his speech at a Japanese college, Jimmy Carter had the idea of starting with a joke – you know, just to break the ice. And so he did. The surprising thing is that the interpreter, who told the joke way quicker than Carter, managed to get the entire audience burst into laughter.

When they got backstage, Jimmy Carter, who was impressed with the interpreter’s skills, asked him how he managed to get such a laugh. Eventually, after trying to avoid the question several times, the interpreter admitted to the President that he had just said, “President Carter told a funny story. Everyone must laugh.”

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

we’ll always have the memories :angel:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Willa Rogers posted:

As others have said at least he did more with his retirement than accruing more money & riding the grift train. Maybe it was repentance for handing the country over to reagan.

Yeah. He was as evil as any other man to hold the office, but at least he had the self-awareness to spend the rest of his life atoning instead of making Netflix documentaries or giggling as his brain leaks out his ears.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Yeah. He was as evil as any other man to hold the office, but at least he had the self-awareness to spend the rest of his life atoning instead of making Netflix documentaries or giggling as his brain leaks out his ears.

he also spent the rest of his life denouncing legalized abortion

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Baptism is a hell of a drug

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Kamala's electable if you loving vote for her!!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ytlaya posted:

It's not even just that - mainstream Democratic views on topics like gay or trans people were completely indistinguishable from those of contemporary Republicans as recently as like 10-15 years minutes ago.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Does Adam Curtis have much to say on Carter?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

Ogre Biden : Let Us Cling Together

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Everything about this.picture is bizarre, like something out of Twin Peaks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

mawarannahr since you're operating in this space I wonder if you could humor me by investigating this claim

I saw a tweet, since been deleted, saying that the CDC's document for the "Toxicological Profile for Vinyl Chloride", which had been sitting idle since July 2006, had a new draft issued in January 2023.

this is the link to the CDC page: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/TSP/ToxProfiles/ToxProfiles.aspx?id=282&tid=51

the Wayback Machine has a copy of the page daying back to March 2021: https://web.archive.org/web/20210318115529/https://wwwn.cdc.gov/TSP/ToxProfiles/ToxProfiles.aspx?id=282&tid=51 - and the PDF links still work on these

the allegation is that the new 2023 version drastically increased the parts-per-million safety margins for exposure to Vinyl Chloride, compared to the old 2006 version, specifically in the chapter for Relevance to Public Health

old: https://web.archive.org/web/20210321225318/https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp20-c2.pdf
new: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp20-c1.pdf

I feel a little insane even just talking about it, but I don't know what to make of it

I'm moving and cleaning house the next few days but I'll try to look into it!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

"Also, we aren't willing to risk a woman other than Hillary winning because she would be absolutely furious."

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I mean the neoliberalization and tearing down of the New Deal consensus that people blame Reagan for starting really has its roots in Carter, no? Even them it seems silly to attribute this stuff to individual administrations, feels like it was inevitable at that point.

I think jfk was the one who initiated major cuts to top marginal tax rates

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

to sell books written by a nazi without calling attention to his being a nazi.

buddy people still buy lovecraft's stuff despite him being the Most Racist Man, it's just them gassing themselves up and doing stupid poo poo out of a need to be morally superior in all ways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

buddy people still buy lovecraft's stuff despite him being the Most Racist Man, it's just them gassing themselves up and doing stupid poo poo out of a need to be morally superior in all ways

Cthulhu was a wimp who got owned by a boat and doesn't deserve the respect he gets.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hp lovecraft's stuff is in the public domain so really, you own all the works of a racist and his n-word cat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HP Lovecraft: the JK Rowling of his time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The day before he left office, former president Carter granted a pardon to folk singer Peter Yarrow, who pleaded guilty more than 10 years ago in U.S. District Court here to a morals charge involving a 14-year-old girl.

Yarrow, a resident of New York and once a member of the trio known as Peter, Paul and Mary, filed his petition for a pardon Dec. 10, according to David C. Stephenson, the acting pardon attorney at the Department of Justice.

In his petition, Yarrow cited his concern that he would soon have to tell his young children about what he has described at the time as "the most terrible mistake I have ever made."

Yarrow's petition also said, "It is my hope they will see a balanced picture, one that understands that their daddy did something very wrong but also one that asserts that their daddy has also done much for society to eliminate want and inequality where he saw it."

A presidential pardon, Yarrow wrote, would help his children understand that "society has forgiven their father" and might help lessen the "sense of shame that they will inevitably feel."

Stephenson said that Yarrow's pardon application was supported by letters from former New York City mayor John V. Lindsay, former Democratic senator George McGovern of South Dakota, Sam W. Brown and Mary King, the director and deputy director of the volunteer agency ACTION, and Jenny Lowenstein, the widow of former congressman and civil rights activist Allard K. Lowenstein.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

i can't believe the guy who was a useless rear end in a top hat for his entire 50 year political career went and squandered his presidential victory

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bootleg Trunks posted:

i can't believe the guy who was a useless rear end in a top hat for his entire 50 year political career went and squandered his presidential victory

how is it possible the "i wouldn't let the war happen" guy has more popular support

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Carter:

* deregulated the trucking industry
* deregulated the airline industry
* pardoned the My Lai guy
* ended the Church Commission reform effort
* supported the genocide in East Timor
* supported a coup in Turkey
* began Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan

in a lot of ways he was the proto-Obama

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jimmy Carter sucked out of office too. He was an ex-president with tons of resources and opportunities provided and he used it for personal charity over radical change. The one exception is his work on setting up the organization that has almost eliminated the guinea worm disease but even then, makes him the best right wing piece of poo poo who ever lived.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bernie Carters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

super sweet best pal posted:

Cthulhu was a wimp who got owned by a boat and doesn't deserve the respect he gets.

Cthulhu was a wimp friend who got owned had a fun weekend by on a boat owned by his lesbian African American friend and doesn't deserve the respect he gets. learned a lot about different, but equal, lived experiences.