Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Nichael posted:

This is purely aesthetics, but I preferred the lighting and style of pre-Source 2.

I did too, but all my friends who got into this game because it was a New Valve Game always complained about how dark it was, so I guess Valve wanted to win those folks over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I miss the old glance value

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
The old UI was hot rear end, with tons of relevant but hidden information, and a lot of prominent but irrelevant information. On the other hand, the map was cooler with all the little hand placed tidbits, a dark and foreboding atmosphere, and the aesthetics stuck to that with much darker, more muted and moodful models and spells. It did a lot for the aesthetics of the game to stick to the same page for years and dota was cooler for it. But also the map was hot rear end for traversal and fighting and I don't miss most old dota mechanics one bit.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Onehandclapping posted:

The old UI was hot rear end, with tons of relevant but hidden information, and a lot of prominent but irrelevant information. On the other hand, the map was cooler with all the little hand placed tidbits, a dark and foreboding atmosphere, and the aesthetics stuck to that with much darker, more muted and moodful models and spells. It did a lot for the aesthetics of the game to stick to the same page for years and dota was cooler for it. But also the map was hot rear end for traversal and fighting and I don't miss most old dota mechanics one bit.

Yeah, I'm not going to say the UI was better, because they absolutely did make it better. That said, I appreciated the darker aesthetic was sort of realistic, or as realistic as you can be with a game wherein a pony man shoots nightmares at people. It was a cool art style that they moved away from.

I don't really have a ton of strong opinions on meta changes, because I don't watch pro games, and don't feel qualified to talk much as just a low divine player. I think the game was maybe more fun a while back, but I also think that might just be rose colored glasses. I don't know. I will say that I mostly like the talents and neutral items, but I don't like that they made roles more rigid (2/1/2 lanes and no jungling), because I liked that Dota was pretty flexible prior. It was interesting to see.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I haven't played this since 2013 and it's pretty hard getting back into it! It's fun how so much has changed about the game but nothing about the culture; in my first unranked game we got a 'report np' from the other team and it felt like I was home again. I did manage to win a game with Witch Doctor and it felt great.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Valve finally removed "Jungler" as a thing you can sort heroes by last month so it'd be very funny if the next patch brought back proper jungling in some fashion.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nichael posted:

This is purely aesthetics, but I preferred the lighting and style of pre-Source 2.

me too. could also see wtf was happening in general.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Geight posted:

Valve finally removed "Jungler" as a thing you can sort heroes by last month so it'd be very funny if the next patch brought back proper jungling in some fashion.

you can jungle on any hero if you're getting dumpstered in lane hard enough

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've only played against a Lion mid smurf once but it was pretty bad. I wasn't mad though, at least it wasn't a 30min Meepo/Tinker/Arc/Huskar stomp.

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Have we a got a goon guild?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like I've gotten pretty decent at the reworked Techies recently. Unfortunately Techies still has the same basic issue where you can stall for time, a lot of time, but the outcome is usually the same anyway. If your team is taking Rosh and failing to end the game trying it several more times usually doesn't help.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I don't think he's really a stall the game hero anymore. He's a high impact nuke and team fight. If you hit good blast offs with taser that'll turn fights. If you are doing decent with farm you can reliably pick the enemy 1 alone. Drop your mines to find smokes, hit your blast-off with tasers in fights then just get to dropping mines before you die.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Stack up a bunch of mangoes and dominate the lane with sticky bombs, it's a lot more straightforward these days

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I absolutely loathe the Techies rework. They used to be the quintessential "fun" hero back in the wc3 days and they were the perfect representation of the game design that made Dota a fun game in the first place.

I have many thoughts about the way the game's been balanced over the past couple of years and I should articulate them in a coherent manner one of these days.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have many thoughts about the way the game's been balanced over the past couple of years and I should articulate them in a coherent manner one of these days.

I wouldn't bother. "It was fun because it was stupid" describes most of the things that have been reworked and then nostalgia does the rest.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Supposedly IceFrog was off Dota for 2 years working on a game called Neon Prime but now he's back so maybe we'll get a good patch.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

TOOT BOOT posted:

Supposedly IceFrog was off Dota for 2 years working on a game called Neon Prime but now he's back so maybe we'll get a good patch.

I thought so, too, but then I realised one of his last contributions to Dota before jumping off onto Neon Prime was introducing neutral items, so who even knows if he's still got it or if we're going to rework every spell so it has six paragraphs of text and vector targetting

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was nothing fun about old Techies. He was a cancer and I'm glad DOTA underwent some light chemo

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The only thing better than old techies was rubick vs old techies :getin:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Sab669 posted:

There was nothing fun about old Techies. He was a cancer and I'm glad DOTA underwent some light chemo

Reactions like this is precisely why old Techies was the most fun you could have in a video game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

techies was perfect because dota is fundamentally a game about making other people mad. it's got zero sum fun. and techies was the most frustrating thing to play against, in a way that was completely unique(as opposed to most other frustrating heroes, which are like "i literally can't kill this guy" or "i'm stunlocked forever" or "they saw me and i died 0.1 seconds later"). being a psychotic little gremlin laying mines and then hearing the payoff several minutes later when some poor bastard got deleted for the crime of walking into his own secret shop was great.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Techies pushed it too far. They were not content to make the game hell for the enemy team, they also drew their own teammates into a lategame slog. The community united against them and they were duly crucified.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Like most things, the community is wrong.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
yoo i havent played in a couple years and came here to post in my old expert dotes opinion that the techies rework is: Dumb

Dollas fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 20, 2023

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
they can fix new techies not tilting all 9 other players by releasing an anime tie-in skin

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

Techies pushed it too far. They were not content to make the game hell for the enemy team, they also drew their own teammates into a lategame slog. The community united against them and they were duly crucified.

lmao

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Yea; back when I played League I loved Teemo because you would just run around and drop explosive Shrooms for people to step on and that was super satisfying seeing enemies pop up under vision for a brief second once they tripped one but he couldn't stall out a game practically indefinitely [and then still lose].

gently caress techies, all my friends hate techies

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There’s heroes way more annoying than Techies like OD with their near limitless save potential.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Yea; back when I played League I loved Teemo because you would just run around and drop explosive Shrooms for people to step on and that was super satisfying seeing enemies pop up under vision for a brief second once they tripped one but he couldn't stall out a game practically indefinitely [and then still lose].

gently caress techies, all my friends hate techies

your friends suck rear end

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There’s heroes way more annoying than Techies like OD with their near limitless save potential.

By all means rework OD as well, but that isn't a case for not reworking techies.

embarassed to share a forum with people who relied on techies to make the enemy team mad.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Techies made people mad because he changed how you play DoTA. Sometimes people want to play DoTA and not play "How to beat Techies".

The rework changed him so you don't need to play "How to beat Techies" anymore. I'm glad I don't have to play that game again. v:shobon:v

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
techies sucked and all the people who like old techies stink. New techies is good because he has to actually interact with other players, which is why goons hate it

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

New Techies is cool. You can kill any hero with eblade.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've heard this a few times but never seen it backed up, I think people just want there to be a specific reason they don't like the game as much as they used to.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Supposedly the new hero and a new patch is 6 March 2023.

Also how long will Valve support Neon Prime? I'm guessing 1.5 times the life of Artifact.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Old techies required pubs to counter pick him with illusion heroes, and forcing counter picks in scrub tier sucks. I feel like aside from old Necro book there w weren't many good ways to counter him because sentries weren't as cheap/available and burst protection with aeon disk wasn't around. Gem was sometimes a bad and expensive idea. Some heroes like tiny made it so there were no real counter plays so the "deleted .1sec after being seen" was still a thing. At least when they made prox be spaced out some of that chilled out in the early game

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

Old techies required pubs to counter pick him with illusion heroes

there were a lot of ways to deal with the high ground defence other than this

back in the day stasis traps completely sucked and there was a hard cap on the number of red mines you could drop which, since they were physical, eventually meant that a late game hero with a lot of armour could shrug off the entire stack of them. so techies' big thing late game were green mine stacks, which did infinity damage but didn't go through spell immunity and had an expiration timer so you could only have like 3 or so active stacks at a time. so the highground defence was, essentially, just "the first person to stand in this spot without spell immunity dies instantly".
there were so many ways to deal with this. trying to bait them with a cloud of illusions was one. sending up a guy who wouldn't die(wraith king, abbadon, stacked pudge, anyone with an aegis) to beat on their buildings and then having everyone else rush in if they detonated on them. using abilities to pull enemies down off of the highground and murder them(particularly techies himself, who was usually like level 15 at 60 minutes with zero defensive items). slapping down a sentry and having a hero with good range just shoot the mines. using an ability that granted vision and having a hero with good range just shoot the buildings from the low ground. blinking passed the mines(which pretty much always had to be in the same spot so that they could cover the tower and barracks).
all of these, and other strategies, worked well and were fairly straightforward(inflict building damage or get kills without standing in that spot). in fact, pretty much the only things that didn't work were the two things that people normally did: initiating and split-pushing. if you tried to initiate a normal teamfight, you exploded and died. if you tried to sneak around and split push, you exploded and died. if you did literally anything else, you won, and usually pretty quickly since if you aren't standing on his mines old techies only teamfight contribution was to literally kill himself so the other team was inherently fighting 4v5 at all times.

the only time that the infinite nightmare games happened were when the opposing team picked a lineup consisting entirely of squishy melees and then somehow managed to get much stronger than techies team anyway

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Just don't step on the bombs

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Tree goes bonk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Treant becoming top tier this patch after being unpicked/unbanned at TI with only a few minor changes is one reason I don't always mind when there's a long time between big patches. Dota is a pretty cool game, imo