Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gromit posted:

Same. I think I use Edge if I need to actually fill in a pdf form, but it's been so long since I had to do that I'm not certain.

If they had a more fully featured PDF function in Edge they could kill adobe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
well they can kill acrobat since adobe still has photoshop

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It just drives me nuts that Acrobat is the only decent PDF software. All the other options are pretty dang expensive and/or look like poo poo. Except Edge, I guess.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

jokes posted:

If they had a more fully featured PDF function in Edge they could kill adobe

Well, they won't.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-edge-will-switch-to-adobe-acrobats-pdf-rendering-engine/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh my God I hate adobe

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I somehow missed that this existed. Cool! Thanks for pointing it out.

Resource monitor is an amazing built in troubleshooting tool. I wish linux had something like that.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've used Firefox for PDF reading for a long while now and a recent update lets you edit* them.

*as in add to them, not necessarily rewrite them.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Acrobat is a bit janky, but it's the only PDF reader that actually handles the stupid genetics article PDFs I run into at work halfway well.

"Of course this 8000 x 3000 heatmap needs to be a vector drawing. Surely rendering those 24 million rectangles won't bog down readers and printers?"

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 12, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Szmitten posted:

I've used Firefox for PDF reading for a long while now and a recent update lets you edit* them.

Oh hey, thanks for posting that as I hadn't noticed.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Szmitten posted:

Oh drat, now my one use for edge is gone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My favorite story about Adobe is when I started the job I'm at now and I had to cancel our Acrobat scripts when we switched to Foxit. I could not find a way to cancel anything on the site, on our account, anywhere. Customer support wouldn't help either, there was just nothing I could do. Until I replaced the CC info with bogus made up creds, so at least they didn't get any more money from us.

Someone in one of these threads said Foxit is pretty bad now but I haven't had much issue with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

codo27 posted:

My favorite story about Adobe is when I started the job I'm at now and I had to cancel our Acrobat scripts when we switched to Foxit. I could not find a way to cancel anything on the site, on our account, anywhere. Customer support wouldn't help either, there was just nothing I could do. Until I replaced the CC info with bogus made up creds, so at least they didn't get any more money from us.

Someone in one of these threads said Foxit is pretty bad now but I haven't had much issue with it.

You can only cancel Adobe subscriptions once a year - on your renewal date.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Before I make an effort post in Haus of Tech Support, are we allowed to ask for help/troubleshooting with issues with torrent clients? I've got rock solid fiber internet but speed jumps from near max to nothing constantly.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Before I make an effort post in Haus of Tech Support, are we allowed to ask for help/troubleshooting with issues with torrent clients? I've got rock solid fiber internet but speed jumps from near max to nothing constantly.

As long as you’re using them for your legal Linux ISOs, it shouldn’t be a problem.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I like having the Discord icon on the taskbar, however whenever Discord updates it seems Windows 10 gets confused and thinks that it's a brand new program and hides it. In the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" option, there are two entries for Discord, "Discord.exe" which is set to on (presumably the old, pre-update version), and "Discord" which is set to off, which I have to manually set to on in order to display it. Is there anything I can change to stop this happening literally every time Discord updates?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

oh no computer posted:

I like having the Discord icon on the taskbar, however whenever Discord updates it seems Windows 10 gets confused and thinks that it's a brand new program and hides it. In the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" option, there are two entries for Discord, "Discord.exe" which is set to on (presumably the old, pre-update version), and "Discord" which is set to off, which I have to manually set to on in order to display it. Is there anything I can change to stop this happening literally every time Discord updates?

FWIW this doesn't happen to me on 11.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I don't have that happen on windows 10.

e: something slightly helpful, the pinned icon is a shortcut to ""C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Discord\Update.exe" --processStart Discord.exe"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I HAVE had that happen on 10. It does seem to be related to the manner in which discord shoves their auto-updater into the launch shortcut instead of launching the program's main exe directly. Digging into C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Discord\ you can find the actual program executables in their own app-[version] subfolders; you can then launch and pin the latest version directly so your shortcut isn't a moving target.

Updates still gently caress this up, but less frequently than just letting it do whatever it wants

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've changed my shortcut to the actual discord.exe rather than update.exe so we'll see if this fixes it.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
I'm looking to start a small software project and I need to get a bit more organized first, what do people recommend for Version Control and Backup Sync for external drives?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KwegiboHB posted:

I'm looking to start a small software project and I need to get a bit more organized first, what do people recommend for Version Control and Backup Sync for external drives?

Git is the industry standard version control system (although there are others). I _think_ Windows has a backup utility, but I haven't looked into it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just put it in zip files called project_v1.zip, project_v2.zip, etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Project_final-usethisone.zip

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mobby_6kl posted:

Just put it in zip files called project_v1.zip, project_v2.zip, etc.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Copy of Project_final-usethisone.zip

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
Copy of Project_final-usethisone(1).zip

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I want to ugprade to win11. My old SATA SSD has MBR+whatever win10. What voodoo steps I need to do in order to get it to boot in UEFI secure mode instead so I can run the upgrade?

If I enable secure mode from BIOS, BIOS stops with boot code A2 which says it doesn't like the boot devices. It does not display *any image at all* after enabling secure boot. It won't even boot up to bios anymore.

Help.

Edit: google suggests creating a bootable GPT partitioned linux usb stick. Well, now how to do that...

Edit2: apparently by using usb software called "rufus" to write the ISO, and select GPT instead of mbr.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 27, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I want to ugprade to win11. My old SATA SSD has MBR+whatever win10. What voodoo steps I need to do in order to get it to boot in UEFI secure mode instead so I can run the upgrade?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hmm. So boot to recovery mode, run mbr2gpt, then switch to uefi from bios. Thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And back all your important poo poo up before you start

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks Ants posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Windows and Windows Software Megathread: And back all your important poo poo up before you start

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I did mbr2gpt /verify, then mbr2gpt /convert ! And it was my htpc so it basically has nothing of value.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Possibly dumb question, but if I have a folder with the "compress contents to save disk space" option in Windows 10 enabled, and I put a new file in it, does the new file automatically get compressed, or do I need to do that manually?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Possibly dumb question, but if I have a folder with the "compress contents to save disk space" option in Windows 10 enabled, and I put a new file in it, does the new file automatically get compressed, or do I need to do that manually?

Should be automatic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have an "Aldocube" generic N4120 based mini tablet PC a year ago that came with Win 11 home. It was actually surprisingly good but 2 days ago it did some sort of auto update which totally pooched my wireless networking and bluetooth and after hours of playing around I just had to roll back and do a reset for windows which worked.

However,

Now it says Windows is not activated and logging into my Windows acct can't find it to recover either. Am I totally screwed or is there a way to see if there is a license baked into it somewhere? I don't have much experience with these mini laptop things.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats very strange. Is it possible the activation was cracked and now its realizing its not legit? That just plain shouldn't happen if everything is on the up and up, especially if it shipped with 11. You can always grab a key from SA Mart, but you shouldn't have to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll reach out to the seller on Amazon and see if they have a key.

I thought it was weird too, I didn't worry about even thinking of extracting a key since I was just doing a reset/roll back.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Were hearing lots of reports of win11 network failing in the past week.

Apparently it's a bug in the recent update patches. So roll back if you can.

Edit: Somehow totally missed you did that. We're also hearing the activation issue as well, so it looks like MS hosed something up bigtime in the last update.

unknown fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 3, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

unknown posted:

Were hearing lots of reports of win11 network failing in the past week.

Apparently it's a bug in the recent update patches. So roll back if you can.

Edit: Somehow totally missed you did that. We're also hearing the activation issue as well, so it looks like MS hosed something up bigtime in the last update.

By "network failing", do you happen to mean "packets drop randomly for a few seconds every few minutes"? I'm trying to figure out if I need to call my ISP or not (I probably do...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

That's probably the root cause - our techs are taking more calls than normal for what shows up as computers can't reach the DHCP server and get a self assigned 169.254.x.x address. Last couple that I've seen were Realtek network cards, but that's probably just random coincidence.

Edit: and I could totally see a failed network software mishap messing up the locally generated system ID making the MS activation key then invalid.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 3, 2023