Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2 hours to go and the K-2 still doesn't have 7,000 bids. :george:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, just a reminder to newer players that the IS-6 is available for 10600g all the time in the store and has preferential MM, which means it'll only see a max of T9s.

And save for not having HEAT, it has ~500 extra DPM. The difference is the IS-6 has been around long enough for people to know how to counter it, and the armor's worse.

It's also pretty clear why the K-2's up for gold and not free xp, too - WGNA just started a "conversion sale" where 1g = 35xp.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 17, 2023

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, just a reminder to newer players that the IS-6 is available for 10600g all the time in the store and has preferential MM, which means it'll only see a max of T9s.

And save for not having HEAT, it has ~500 extra DPM. The difference is the IS-6 has been around long enough for people to know how to counter it, and the armor's worse.

It's also pretty clear why the K-2's up for gold and not free xp, too - WGNA just started a "conversion sale" where 1g = 35xp.

You think they're actively avoiding a free XP auction because of the conversion sale? I would fully expect them to have at least one such auction in spite of the sale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

You think they're actively avoiding a free XP auction because of the conversion sale? I would fully expect them to have at least one such auction in spite of the sale.

I think it's far more likely it was a last-minute change because they didn't want to have to explain two days running why NA players didn't bother to "sell out" their ~generous offerings~.

Also, tomorrow/today's piece of poo poo is the blinged-out Progetto 46 in 300 3D style. 150k free xp is listed, but it's anyone's guess if they'll do that for NA.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 17, 2023

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

2 hours to go and the K-2 still doesn't have 7,000 bids. :george:

It never hit the maximum number of tanks through the end of the "auction," which I guess means many of us got it for the minimum bid. :toot: I know it's apparently not a good tank, but I have plenty of unnecessary gold with nothing else to spend it on, and 8k for a tier 8 isn't even a bad price (I checked, just as a refresher, and most tier 8 HTs are in the 10-11k range.) If anything it's a "collector's" item, although I'm more interested in "unique" tanks like this one than I am the reskins (which should really just be skins instead of discrete tanks. "Black" versions, I'm glaring in your direction. :rolleyes:)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

9,000 gold for a Progetto 46 which is going to be even more of a shell magnet.

Nah.

:buddy:

Fake Edit:
lmao what it's actually got competitive bids going for it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

lmao what it's actually got competitive bids going for it

Of course it does. A lot of pubbies are still stuck in 2017 and think the Progetto is the most OP T8 premium in the game and have been salivating for it for years. It's still a very good medium, but not worth anything close to what it's going for now. Doubly so with the loving atrocious 3D skin. I mean look at this loving Blitz-rear end tank:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I love how Blitz is a pejorative now.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
If it was a skin for less gold I would definitely bid on it, but I don't want another progretto. I don't even play the one I have now anymore.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So according to the latest from WG, the upcoming Japanese TDs will start at Tier V, branching off from the Tier IV Chi-He, which is one of my favourite lower tier vehicles to mess around in :toot:

And of course, some time down the line we can expect more wheelchairs (this time a UK branch), except they're going to be 'Medium' class :thunk:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:catstare:

Median winning bid for the Shitgetto on EU servers is 21600.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:wtc:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like I should bid 90k in gold to increase the competitive bid and then cancel the bid 5 mins before the end. :twisted:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Aww, it's the median, not the mean... :ignorance:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Of course, the tank *does* glorify fascist ideology. That might be why it's appealing to so many of *those* WoT players.

I feel every PANSY player needs one simply to extol Athenian homoerotic dogma and poetry before every battle like cat facts to counteract that, though. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Either the K-91-2 is tomorrow's item, listed at 12,500 bonds to start (though who knows on the NA server), or it's the FV215b (183) for 175k free xp or whatever.

The K-91-2 is a glass cannon sniper with a 100mm gun, 3k+ DPM, and pretty atrocious stock view range for having the turret it does.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 18, 2023

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Armored patrol is showing two different listings for the next bid. And it might be the last two up for grabs just with differences on whichever is chosen.

On the CN server, the new bid is the k-91-2 for bonds.

On the asia server, it is the deathstar.

K-91-2 is this guy:

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2022/05/21/supertest-k-91-2-changed-stats/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On the EU servers it's the Deathstar as well. Minimum bid 175 000 free XP.

The Progetto with the poo poo skin had, in the end, a competitive bid of over 25 000 gold on the EU servers. People on Reddit saying bids of 23 000 lost. That's about 80 euros, or over double the Progetto's normal euro price.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Still dunno what tank to put experimental gear on, it's tough to decide since it costs a non-renewable resource to remove.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

On the EU servers it's the Deathstar as well. Minimum bid 175 000 free XP.

The Progetto with the poo poo skin had, in the end, a competitive bid of over 25 000 gold on the EU servers. People on Reddit saying bids of 23 000 lost. That's about 80 euros, or over double the Progetto's normal euro price.

Can't wait for the regular Progetto 46 to suddenly appear in the Premium area of the Italian techtree for 10,000 gold in a few months.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:catstare:

Median winning bid for the Shitgetto on EU servers is 21600.

Makes me that much more content knowing the K-2 was only 8k (plus I already have a Prosciutto.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The last auction tank is the T-54 Heavy, kind of like a T9 Renegade except worse in drat near every way. For gold. Skill says it's better than the WZ-114 but makes the Strv-K look like the best tank in the game. Provisional rating 2/5 on the index.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The last auction tank is the T-54 Heavy, kind of like a T9 Renegade except worse in drat near every way. For gold. Skill says it's better than the WZ-114 but makes the Strv-K look like the best tank in the game. Provisional rating 2/5 on the index.

Really, the big selling point is that gun depression. Which I guess wargaming decided to nerf every stat to garbage to validate it...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lol, 340k free XP wasn't enough to get the Deathstar on EU servers, apparently. People are loving insane, they could've had a FV3004 for that much.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I put a minimum bid on it.

Not sure why I did though...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

I put a minimum bid on it.

Not sure why I did though...

Why not? For 175 000 free XP it might be a fun occasional T10 tank. If you've got the XP to spare, there's worse uses. And people did clearly underestimate the demand, Skill was saying on his video that he didn't think all 20 000 tanks would even be sold.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why not? For 175 000 free XP it might be a fun occasional T10 tank. If you've got the XP to spare, there's worse uses. And people did clearly underestimate the demand, Skill was saying on his video that he didn't think all 20 000 tanks would even be sold.

Oh, I meant for the T9 heavy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I believe he meant in this t9 renegade. Probably will too. Just because of some weird collector fever with american tanks...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

Oh, I meant for the T9 heavy.

Oh. Well, if you've got gold it's not a terrible idea to have a T9 prem. I bought the WZ-114 before realizing how poo poo it was, but the Char Mle 75 at least is a lot of fun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh. Well, if you've got gold it's not a terrible idea to have a T9 prem. I bought the WZ-114 before realizing how poo poo it was, but the Char Mle 75 at least is a lot of fun.

It really is a lot of fun! A very strange tank, but super fun. Hopefully this tank wont be too bad (assuming I win one).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

It really is a lot of fun! A very strange tank, but super fun. Hopefully this tank wont be too bad (assuming I win one).

It shouldn't be. The gun looks to be decent (or at least treated Skill very well), and the armour is decent hull down if people aren't spamming gold so it should be playable at the very least. Big problems seem to be that it's very slow which Skill doesn't like (needs a turbo to match the M103's normal speed) and of course if people ARE spamming gold... well...

Honestly, one thing I wish they would sell would be the ability to give a normal tank at least some of the premium bonuses for gold. I'd pay a significant amount of money to be able to use any crews on, say, my Conqueror and my E-75. I realize being able to pay for premium credit earnings is probably a bridge too far, although for instance in WoWS you can nowadays buy a benefits package for any ship you want gold.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2023

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol, 340k free XP wasn't enough to get the Deathstar on EU servers, apparently. People are loving insane, they could've had a FV3004 for that much.

Eh, is that really a lot? It's like 600k XP average to grind out a tier 10 from tier 1 IIRC. If anything, you could say it's a lot because they were giving it out for free, when they did the switch with the 3004, just like the Foch 155 and IS-4, (and maybe kind of like the T30/T34/T110E5 thing, although that was right when I started playing.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Deathstar can take a hit, unlike the Shitbarn.

It's not worth 340k xp, though.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Battlepass is gonna drain my gold storage. Ugh.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have a few questions that hopefully aren't too stupid:

1) Is there an EU clan I can join?
I've heard being in a clan is good because I think I can earn more creditrs and XP, is that correct?

It's been recommended to me that I stick around Tier V to VII (but mainly VI) while I'm learning due to tanks becoming much better at VIII onwards and that's where most people who have been playing for a long time play so the game becomes even more competitive then.
2) I've heard the French light tank line is quite good for light tanks so I was playing the Tier II tank FCM 36 and this tank seemed very heavily armoured and I was bouncing shots from everywhere as the enemy team tried to kill me and my team slowly whittled them down; it was fantastic! Are there tanks like that, which are very heavily armoured, around Tier VI that I should aim for? I don't mind doing a small amount of damage in trade off as just plinking away is fine for me.

3) Regarding light tanks apparently they're difficult to play because they are easily killed but scouting and spotting seems a fun role so I'd like to do that better, which is why I was looking at French light tanks, but during my research of light tanks I've seen some videos and posts saying that a premium tank, the Tier VI Chinese Type 64, is a very good light tank.
So, is it worth buying a good premium tank like that to learn a certain playstyle or should I learn using "worse" tech tree vehicles, and only buy a Premium tank when I feel I need it/I'm good enough at the role?
[I'm enjoying myself even though I'm really bad at the game but I can feel myself learning and don't mind giving a little money at the start when I play a f2p game if I like it.]

4) This is more a general question regarding the tank lines as I've been doing a lot of forum reading and youtube watching, so I've settled mostly on these to give me focus and I'd appreciate knowing if this is sensible or I should do something differently:
Heavy Tank: German that starts with VK 36.01 H and ends with E 100
Medium Tank: USSR that starts with T-45 and ends with Obj. 140 [also I'm really enjoying the T-45!]
Tank Destroyer: USA that starts with M8A1 and ends with T110E3
SPG: USA M41 HMC ending with T92 HMC [mostly because it's right next to the TD line above, but other thoughts could be British SPGs]
Light Tank: I'm still unsure about this but thinking French line that starts with AMD 178B and ends with EBR 105

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RoboJoe posted:

I've heard being in a clan is good because I think I can earn more creditrs and XP, is that correct?

Clans can activate boosters to give their members more credits and XP, but this requires someone in charge to push a button, which is a pretty high bar for goon clans.

RoboJoe posted:

It's been recommended to me that I stick around Tier V to VII (but mainly VI) while I'm learning due to tanks becoming much better at VIII onwards and that's where most people who have been playing for a long time play so the game becomes even more competitive then.

Good advice. Tier 6 is a great tier to learn the game. The T-34-85 is a good all around tank at that tier.

RoboJoe posted:

2) I've heard the French light tank line is quite good for light tanks so I was playing the Tier II tank FCM 36 and this tank seemed very heavily armoured and I was bouncing shots from everywhere as the enemy team tried to kill me and my team slowly whittled them down; it was fantastic! Are there tanks like that, which are very heavily armoured, around Tier VI that I should aim for? I don't mind doing a small amount of damage in trade off as just plinking away is fine for me.

There aren't a lot of heavy armour tanks at tier 6. The UK tier 4 Matilda is what you're looking for though.

RoboJoe posted:

3) Regarding light tanks apparently they're difficult to play because they are easily killed but scouting and spotting seems a fun role so I'd like to do that better, which is why I was looking at French light tanks, but during my research of light tanks I've seen some videos and posts saying that a premium tank, the Tier VI Chinese Type 64, is a very good light tank.
So, is it worth buying a good premium tank like that to learn a certain playstyle or should I learn using "worse" tech tree vehicles, and only buy a Premium tank when I feel I need it/I'm good enough at the role?
[I'm enjoying myself even though I'm really bad at the game but I can feel myself learning and don't mind giving a little money at the start when I play a f2p game if I like it.]

The Type 64 is good, but it's rarely on sale. Try the French AMX 12 t for a tier 6 light and getting used to autoloaders.

RoboJoe posted:

4) This is more a general question regarding the tank lines as I've been doing a lot of forum reading and youtube watching, so I've settled mostly on these to give me focus and I'd appreciate knowing if this is sensible or I should do something differently:
Medium Tank: USSR that starts with T-45 and ends with Obj. 140 [also I'm really enjoying the T-45!]
SPG: USA M41 HMC ending with T92 HMC [mostly because it's right next to the TD line above, but other thoughts could be British SPGs]
Light Tank: I'm still unsure about this but thinking French line that starts with AMD 178B and ends with EBR 105

It's usually better to focus on one nation at a time because there are typically some common modules between different tanks from the same nation that can save you some XP in the long run.

Also, I don't know if this matters to you, but none of those tanks are currently in the meta, and they all kind of get poo poo on by tanks that are. The Czech Vz 55 is the current hot poo poo tank that is due for a nerf.

SPGs are better off avoided because they aren't really fun to play anymore, and I say this as someone who used to enjoy SPGs.

Please don't play high tier lights until you're very comfortable at playing light tanks and intimately understand how spotting works because nothing sinks a team faster than having a bad light at high tiers.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

McGavin posted:

Helpful info!
Great, thank you for the help!
It sounds like I'm playing the game wrong in a lot of ways; I suppose I should probably stick to playing Czechs for all their tanks so I have heavy and medium tanks, then maybe french for light tanks (if I decide not to buy a Type 64). That's a shame about SPGs though, I did buy a Tier 3 from the collectors vehicles (when I figured out what they were) and I was enjoying bombarding people with artillery fire.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just to be clear, there's no wrong way to play, and you should play what you want. I'm just giving suggestions that might save you some time and trouble in the end.

Personally, if I was starting out again, I'd go down the US Patton and T110E5 lines because US tanks really are the most forgiving due to their good gun depression. They aren't the most competitive currently, but definitely the most forgiving for new players.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RoboJoe posted:

If you do, let me know, I'm also looking for an EU guild where I am not the only member who has logged in within the past three years.

quote:

2) I've heard the French light tank line is quite good for light tanks

They're my favourite lights in the game. They are decent at scouting and also have auto loaders which lets them deal surprisingly good amounts of damage.

quote:

Yes, the Type 64 is a very, very good light tank and it's a good trainer. Generally light tanks are difficult to play because they kind of need you to have good map knowledge so you know which are good scouting locations to park yourself into, and also a good general game sense so you know when it's safe/worth it to move closer to the enemy to spot them better, and when that is suicide. Your team will be pinging you non stop and yelling at you to drive into the enemy so they can get shots off from their bushes at the map's edge, but don't listen to them.

There's a mod in Aslain's map pack which replaces the minimap with a version where the good scouting bushes are marked with light tank symbols, it's a pretty good thing as you're getting used to the class.

quote:

The E-100 isn't amazing. I like the line, and the Tiger to E75 tiers are VERY good after WG buffed them a couple of years ago. The E-100 doesn't really work in today's meta, because people are shooting a ton of gold ammo which turns the tank's biggest strength ("good armour") into a joke. If you want a good beginner heavy line, you can't go wrong with the IS-7 or the IS-4.

The Object 140 line is very good, although like all Soviet mediums, they have bad gun depression which is a limiting factor in today's game which largely consists of camping behind hills and only exposing your turret to shoot.

The T110E3 line is pretty OK. For TDs you need to ask yourself what kind of gameplay you want out of them. If you want to sit in a bush and snipe, the Swedish Strv-103 line is really good for the job. If you want to be an assault gun who runs down your enemies and blasts them from closer ranges, the E3 line is good for that, but the Soviet Object 268v4 is insanely good for that and possibly the most fun T10 tank destroyer. The Italian tank destroyers are also really good if a bit boring. They have EXTREMELY good turret armour, and are designed to sit hull down and shoot at their enemies, so they kind of play more like heavy tanks in the TD role.

As McGavin says, SPGs are not worth playing anymore. They were nerfed to the point where they are completely worthless and not at all fun.

The French wheeled lights are very powerful in the right hands, but they are also kinda tricky to play. If you want solid learner lights, the British light tanks are the kings of sitting in bushes (best in game camouflage and view range values), and the Soviet light tanks are of course Soviet and therefore really good at most things. I'd start with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

I started playing a few days ago, went down the German path and ended up kiting in the luchs which was amazing, hardly got hit and I could get 5 kills in a single game. I went to the the tier V light tank and everything changed? Is it like one of the other posts here said that it just gets harder and harder to play light tanks in the higher tiers?

Was it like there were a lot of bots or something in the earlier tiers? Will I just have to go to heavier tanks and be less specialised into the light ones?