Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Anticheese posted:

Columbo as a waitress

oh uh one more thing

it's just that uh, you say that I forgot the pastrami reuben on the side. That symbol on your coat, it was driving me nuts trying to remember. See my husband once called it a swastika and I said "no no you're being silly it can't be that" owing to you know, the obvious. Then I remembered, uh, it's a Hindu symbol. Which means you can't eat beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

was there ever an episode of Columbo where the culprit was just genuinely impressed at the sheer intelligence and tenacity on display and then like a defeated samurai resigned themselves to their fate out of tremendous respect for a worthy adversary

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

God Hole posted:

was there ever an episode of Columbo where the culprit was just genuinely impressed at the sheer intelligence and tenacity on display and then like a defeated samurai resigned themselves to their fate out of tremendous respect for a worthy adversary

actually yeah, reoccurring in fact. what gives catharsis to the cat and mouse game throughout the series is the killers realizing this working class dude is their equal and a worthy adversary.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2023

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

God Hole posted:

Haven't even seen that many but yeah this happens a bunch

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I just recently finished my rewatch of every single Columbo episode(They're all on archive.org if anyone's curious about it. The show still holds up in my opinion) and started Poker Face since a lot of people recommended it for Columbo fans. Not sure I'm a fan of Charlie's ability or the fact that so many murders happen near her but the rest of the show is great. It definitely needs longer episodes though.

A bunch of the culprits in Columbo end up figuring out that they're up against an unstoppable force and the last 10 minutes of these episodes is them admiring the dismantlement of their perfect alibi. There's also often an element of Columbo respecting the culprit and being like "shame about the murder cause you and I could really get along."

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

God Hole posted:

oh yeah

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Poker Face has reportedly been renewed for a second season. Though given the recent bullshit across so many streaming services, I guess who knows for sure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1625912575505608704?s=46&t=TwfG6dxdq_pGzWNrh1uDGA

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Poker Face has reportedly been renewed for a second season. Though given the recent bullshit across so many streaming services, I guess who knows for sure.

Yeah, this. I don't believe renewal announcements until I'm watching that next season.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Peacock still seem to be in the "oh my god we need HOW MUCH content to maintain subscribers???" phase of things, you can let a little hope into your heart for Poker Face

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aye Doc posted:

Peacock still seem to be in the "oh my god we need HOW MUCH content to maintain subscribers???" phase of things, you can let a little hope into your heart for Poker Face

Apparently they just scrapped a deal they had with Comcast(?) where subscribers to that got Paramount's streaming service (Plus?) included, so either they're expecting plenty of people to fork out the extra cash to keep it or they're about to lose a number of "subscribers".

I don't care about any of that, just keep giving Rian Johnson money to make this show!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i think this is the first paramount show i've recommended to anyone that wasn't the kind of star trek sucker to watch anything no matter how bad

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Episode 7 might be the strongest one yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not horseless carriage man, but would whatever tricks and traps they put into the car become a problem in process of getting the car to and from the track and in position? Maybe they'll explain it just my first thought at the sabotage scene

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I'm not horseless carriage man, but would whatever tricks and traps they put into the car become a problem in process of getting the car to and from the track and in position? Maybe they'll explain it just my first thought at the sabotage scene

I believe the car would get towed to the track, and then wouldn't be full throttle at any point until actually on the track (for a practice lap)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just watched episode 7 - my initial thought at the beginning was "there's no way he would've been able to sabotage the other guy's car that easily", so I'm glad they subverted that. I do think it was a little convenient that the other guy was able to convince his rival's daughter to take his place so quickly, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I buy it, they're rivals themselves and this was a way for her to beat his time and get some time on the track since her dad keeps hoggin the car.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is such a fuckin blast lol

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That second pass at the story for episode 7, hooooly poo poo that's how you do it.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 16, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
7 was pretty fun. I feel like it would have been more compelling if they didn't went with him just going openly evil. Still decent confrontation at the end and this was one of the better alternative gotchas the show has been playing around with.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

7 was pretty fun. I feel like it would have been more compelling if they didn't went with him just going openly evil. Still decent confrontation at the end and this was one of the better alternative gotchas the show has been playing around with.

I thought they did a good job with oh he’s an evil poo poo, you’re supposed to hate him and sympathize with the murder followed by a sudden “okay now that you think he’s dead, see him from his mother’s view and suddenly he’s a lot more understandable and sympathetic and the murderer is just a privileged rear end” immediately followed by “oh gently caress no he was evil all along”

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

I thought they did a good job with oh he’s an evil poo poo, you’re supposed to hate him and sympathize with the murder followed by a sudden “okay now that you think he’s dead, see him from his mother’s view and suddenly he’s a lot more understandable and sympathetic and the murderer is just a privileged rear end” immediately followed by “oh gently caress no he was evil all along”

I agree, I really liked how they played with our expectations there. I also liked how the guy used Charlie's lie-detecting ability against her, to manipulate her into investigating the other guy's sabotage attempt.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, Charlie's power is weird. It doesn't seem to pick up on a general sense of deception but rather on the exact wording of a statement. This makes me wonder how she used that in poker. Silently raising the bet isn't really a lie. Did she contiuously ask "Do you have the flush? Do you?" Until they gave her a binary answer?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, Charlie's power is weird. It doesn't seem to pick up on a general sense of deception but rather on the exact wording of a statement.

What makes you think this? The show has always given me the impression it’s the former.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

What makes you think this? The show has always given me the impression it’s the former.

The fact that this guy said "that guy sabotaged my car," to make her chase after the other one. Technically, there wasn't a lie here but "I know he did it and chose not to fix it in an effort to kill his daughter," is a quite big ommision, which sort of changes the context.

Also, the adultering wife of the steak guy managed to mostly hide that she was in on it, when they were talking about how his brother killed him.

Actually, it's a consistent trend. The retired child UN bombers managed to sway her on their side, by ommiting that part when they explained how they were arrested. Telling a sob story about how the police violently captured you without that context comes across a bit deceitful.

As far as I can tell, she has a weird little genie in her head, which tells her true or false by the exact phrasing of the reply.

The point is, I don't see her picking up lies of ommision, which would make poker kind of tough, unless everyone is a blabbermouth boasting about their cards. If, at the end of the game, I have a garbage hand, but say "All in!" is that a lie?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 17, 2023

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
She explained in the episode, she can tell if someone believes what they are saying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right and I think there will come an episode where she gets duped for a while because some liars are so divorced from reality they believe their own bullshit and expect others to without a thought towards any dissonance with reality.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Give this woman an emmy

https://i.imgur.com/WZv4Sg1.mp4

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

That was a fun episode, now I want to go play Wreckfest.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Tim Blake Nelson is the thinking man's clodhopper.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that was fun, wish we had some more Keith Owens and also Donna and Katie, but I find myself saying that about every guest star on every episode. Natasha Lyonne directed next week's episode, very excited for that one

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My only complaint about the new episode is that TBN was not in enough of it.

I watched this whole show over the last week and I really, really love it. Charlie is essentially just a superhero with two very specific powers: ability to spot bullshit and meet people right before they get murdered in very clever ways.

I will agree with the opinion ITT that the episodes are too short though. It always gets to the climax before I even realize it. They pull so much from Columbo except for giving each episode time to breathe. You don’t really get the cat-and-mouse game. Charlie realizes what’s going on and just streamlines it right to the end. Fits with her character though since she isn’t actually a cop trying to collect enough evidence to persecute.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really loved that episode and how it played around a bit with the formula. Particularly liked how the guy weaponized her ability to make her investigate his rival but LOVED that what ended up raising her suspicions is when he actually did a GOOD thing and reassured the kid about the seat-belt in the go-kart, and his well-intentioned lie there exposed his whole scheme. The ending where technically he gets away with everything and is rewarded but you know he's completely hosed and so does he was also very well-handled.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The ending where technically he gets away with everything and is rewarded but you know he's completely hosed and so does he was also very well-handled.

I guess the stakes were slightly lower, since it was only attempted murder. and framing a guy who technically did try to attempt murder.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Honestly with all the poo poo and intimidation he kept pulling, especially at their house, I would've tried to kill him too. But maybe I just innately root for Tim Blake Nelson.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't like how loud race cars are so I can't have any sympathy for the drivers. I would've taken them all out with some banana peels.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is surprisingly a lot of fun! And the Columbo comparison is pretty spot on, IMO. She's got the same energy. First two episodes were entertaining so I'll keep watching.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's that over-the-top bronx accent.

Four episodes into Columbo, it's great. I wish they had slightly bigger casts, ala' The A-Team, as 2/3 of each episode appear to be Columbo just chewing the murderer out until they slip up. Maybe that'll happen as the show goes on.

Did blow my mind when an episode ended and "DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG" popped up. Good job kiddo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Did blow my mind when an episode ended and "DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG" popped up. Good job kiddo.

the sheer amount of "oh poo poo it's that person!" in Columbo (both acting cast and production crew) is great, I'm most of the way through the third season now and it's been a wonderful ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah the very episode of the Columbus TV was directed by Spielberg which blew my mind. The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking “wow this is so cinematic and beautifully shot” so it made sense to see his name there, but still a surprise. He was only 24 years old! A loving prodigy. To put it in perspective, Rian Johnson was 31 when he directed Brick.