Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully Anova doesn't have anti-vinegar software installed.

Anova's instructions are the same, with the addition of toothbrush and mild soap for the visible bits. https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/204567914-How-do-I-clean-my-Anova-Precision-Cooker-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Has anyone ever run a solution of water and vinegar through the machine for like an hour just to get the internal mechanisms clean?

I have VERY hard water living in Phx Az. I also keep my Anova in the water in the cooler on the counter almost 24/7 and use the same water for long periods of time.

I've soaked mine in water & vinegar baths multiple times without issue.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm about to cook steaks sous vide for the first time. The plan is to purchase a whole strip loin from Sam's Club, take it home and chop it up into individual steaks and vacuum seal them. Then put them in the freezer until I want to eat one. My question is should I salt and pepper the steaks before I vacuum seal them, or should I do that after I take them out of the bag after cooking? I don't plan on doing the pan searing thing. I will eat the steaks right after taking them out of the bag.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

School of How posted:

I don't plan on doing the pan searing thing. I will eat the steaks right after taking them out of the bag.

Don’t do this. They look very very sad when they come out of the bag and are missing a bunch of flavor and texture that searing provides.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

School of How posted:

I don't plan on doing the pan searing thing. I will eat the steaks right after taking them out of the bag.

…why

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I suspect they'd make 1, maybe 2 bites for science and then fire up something to sear them on.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
The whole point of doing sous vide for me is to not smoke up my apartment. My understanding the only reason for pan searing is to make it look fancy. I don't care about how my food looks. I was just wondering if I salt my steaks before vacuuming them and then putting them into the freezer it will mess them up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

School of How posted:

The whole point of doing sous vide for me is to not smoke up my apartment. My understanding the only reason for pan searing is to make it look fancy. I don't care about how my food looks. I was just wondering if I salt my steaks before vacuuming them and then putting them into the freezer it will mess them up.

No, the sear imparts a whole lot of flavor, something you can learn with your first cook. And use something like ghee or avocado oil that has a really high smoke point to avoid the smoky apartment.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

School of How posted:

Turns out, a lot of what we recognize as "steak flavor" comes from the mailliard reaction (or however France spells it) from the sear.

Some people salt before freezing but I never had luck with it so I don't.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My dude you might as well just not even sous vide and throw it in a vitamix until the meat smoothy hits 129 for a perfect mid rare.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please do not eat steak straight out of the sous vide without searing it. You will be very disappointed. If it's an apartment thing without ventilation, open a window on one side of your kitchen and then use like 1-2 fans outside of the kitchen to create a wall of air to blow everything out towards that window. Like one fan pointed high and one low. I've done this multiple times because we did not have a vent and it's worked pretty well. Although, it's a total pain in the rear end and small droplets of grease goes everywhere. It was easier for me never to make a steak at home and only get a steak when eating out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

School of How posted:

Lmao

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone sear their steaks after a bath in a stainless steel? I know cast iron is the big thing cause of it's thermal mass but was curious if any stainless steel boys had any tips.

Also do you guys baste while searing?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use stainless steel. No real issues, other than be careful not to delaminate your pan when heating it up. I'll baste if I've got a lot of liquid in the pan or am trying to impart a flavor with the oil, but otherwise I just use it as an opportunity to let that side cool for a second so I can flip it back over without cooking through. At least that's my thought process, I'm by no means a pro cook.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've seared with stainless and cast iron. The iron is better but the stainless can get the job done.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Internet Explorer posted:

I use stainless steel. No real issues, other than be careful not to delaminate your pan when heating it up.

What would cause this? We've got plenty of cast iron but my wife wants a nice stainless pan for things that might benefit from being more responsive to temp adjustments.

Figure if I'm gonna look into that I may as well understand their limitations as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My understanding is that unlike cast iron, which is just a slab of metal, stainless has layers and if you apply a large amount of heat without something else in the pan to absorb the heat, the different layers can heat up differently enough that they respond differently and warp, causing them to lift apart. I never had an issue when cooking normally, but one time on my induction I took off a boiling pot that was at max+++ and put an empty pan on-top, then a few moments later heard a "ping" and glanced over to see the top of my pan bubbling up.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Stainless itself doesn’t have layers, it’s just usually used to clad an aluminum layer, or in some cases, there are 5 alternating layers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

School of How posted:

There's always one goon in every niche thread who has some weird idea and never listens.

Get a blow torch for searing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A quick search shows aluminum will expand more than copper, so super fancy all clads with copper may be less of a concern than that.

I would assume that it's bad manufacturing if any fail though. There are copper or aluminum bottomed stainless that are built more cheap than a "clad" which may have a larger concern.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sear the steaks outside on the sidewalk using an extension cord and a George Foreman grill.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I committed the cardinal sin and didn't sear my chicken breast.

I'm using sous vide for convenience and so I just took it out of the bag, diced it into bit sized chucks, and dumped it into S&B curry roux to have with rice and veg. I noticed no difference since the sauce was already strongly flavoured.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Yeah but you are adding cooked chicken to a saucy dish. Not going matter that much. Arguably you'd make the sauce in the pan you seared and use the fond as part of the base in the sauce.

Imagine just eating grayish white chicken. Might as well have boiled it unless you're going for 145f temps.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

sterster posted:

Yeah but you are adding cooked chicken to a saucy dish. Not going matter that much. Arguably you'd make the sauce in the pan you seared and use the fond as part of the base in the sauce.

Imagine just eating grayish white chicken. Might as well have boiled it unless you're going for 145f temps.

I think people eating steak right out the bag is funny but sous vide chicken breast vs boiled chicken are literally mountains apart and not even comparable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Stainless itself doesn’t have layers, it’s just usually used to clad an aluminum layer, or in some cases, there are 5 alternating layers.

Yes, sorry. I thought this was obvious, but that's a good clarification.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Onions have layers.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Gonna repost here since this is really cheap for Anova (not sure where the proper thread for this is):

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 25, 2023

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow that’s a pretty great deal. I bought one and I don’t even need a third sv rig.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, glad you got in on it before it died. I already have the full sized one but I figure an extra at that price, especially with a container, couldn't hurt

There's also the full sized cooker + 16L container for $104:
https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-16l-container-bundle

Not as hot of a deal though; that one is more of a "here's a free container with your purchase", since you could otherwise get a decent offbrand for cheaper on sale.

Oh hell nevermind, that just died too.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 25, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah, glad you got in on it before it died. I already have the full sized one but I figure an extra at that price, especially with a container, couldn't hurt

There's also the full sized cooker + 16L container for $104:
https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-16l-container-bundle

Not as hot of a deal though; that one is more of a "here's a free container with your purchase", since you could otherwise get a decent offbrand for cheaper on sale.

Oh hell nevermind, that just died too.

This was showing something insane like $22 when I clicked on the link. I don't see them shipping this and it's probably a mistake, but Holy poo poo if they actually did.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Franco Caution posted:

This was showing something insane like $22 when I clicked on the link. I don't see them shipping this and it's probably a mistake, but Holy poo poo if they actually did.
Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Yeah was just going to post that. Don't know what they're smoking at Anova but hey opportunity!

Just order now, think later!

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 25, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Oh I did!
Ordered one for my mom too since she always asks me about my setup, but never got her own because of the price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ahh, I’m jealous. I already have two older Anovas and a Dorkfood. I thought I got a steal when I got the Anovas for $100 each

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Someone in slickdeals said they did amazon payment, (which I didn't even see as an option) and it took payment and says shipping. This might just work.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I should've jumped on that deal even to have as a gift or something. Talked myself out of it because I have the same setup already.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those bastards at Anova cancelled my order

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those bastards at Anova cancelled my order

I told them to

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So which Anova do I get ? I'm leaning towards buying one but I also don't know which one there's like 5? Also do they sell a vacuum sealing system as well?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hollismason posted:

So which Anova do I get ?

Yes.

Hollismason posted:

Also do they sell a vacuum sealing system as well?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hollismason posted:

So which Anova do I get ? I'm leaning towards buying one but I also don't know which one there's like 5? Also do they sell a vacuum sealing system as well?

Actual answer: I assume you're asking about the Anova SV stick when you want to know which one?

Technically the APO (Anova Precision Oven) can also SV but I don't know if you're looking to sacrifice that much counter space or not.

I think there are a couple people in the thread who have the Anova Vacuum Sealer; it's a Chamber Vac, which is kinda rare in the consumer space, and I think it is well-regarded. Personally though I still use a $75 sealer from Wal-Mart; the only real specification I had is that I wanted it to have a "stop vacuuming and seal now" function for if liquid was starting to get close to the top of the bag.

If you want to expound on your intended use case I'm more than happy to give a longer answer! I promise that nobody in the history of ever has actually ever wanted me to talk longer