Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t know if I think it’s a better movie I just like it more, although I haven’t watched D9 in so loving long I’m gonna rewatch it this week too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Elysium came at a time where "heavyhanded political message delivered by Matt Damon" made it hard not to be biased against it. Sharlto owns though, watch Hardcore Henry if you haven't seen it and want more of his antics

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elysium has some Premo exploding bodies so it’s good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You get multiple Sharltos with Hardcore Henry too. Think it's on Netflix, def recommend. Stupid movie but entertaining ala Crank, had a real ball seeing it in theaters. The best videogame movie, though it's not based on an actual game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Elysium has some Premo exploding bodies so it’s good

Yeah the bit with Sharlto's face exploding and then later being reconstructed is p good

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You get multiple Sharltos with Hardcore Henry too. Think it's on Netflix, def recommend. Stupid movie but entertaining ala Crank, had a real ball seeing it in theaters. The best videogame movie, though it's not based on an actual game.

Hardcore Henry is a real blast. Great lads night film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Was just rewatching Elysium and tbh this movie is the poo poo and I don’t know why it has such a mediocre reputation.

I guess a lot of people thought it was heavy handed but I don’t get why that is a bad tbh it feels even more plausible now than it did in 2013

I just remember being heavily disappointed while watching it. Victim of over hype.

Also it's stupid and probably kinda racist that Diego Luna isn't the hero and Matt Damon is playing a Mexican

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They went away from the binge model for Carnival Row season 2 which is a show I like much more than the general consensus apparently. I thought the worldbuilding in season 1 really was great.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

Also it's stupid and probably kinda racist that Diego Luna isn't the hero and Matt Damon is playing a Mexican

The movie is set in Los Angeles, and Matt Damon plays a white guy with a Portuguese/Italian last name.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man, I decided to throw a random Saturday Night Live from the 90s on Peacock. 30 minutes long with everything that was cut. I get streaming rights are challenging for music but it almost makes having that back catalog "available" pointless

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Medullah posted:

Man, I decided to throw a random Saturday Night Live from the 90s on Peacock. 30 minutes long with everything that was cut. I get streaming rights are challenging for music but it almost makes having that back catalog "available" pointless

It's always been like that. I think when SNL was even on Netflix the stuff they had was cut to poo poo. They cut skits, opening monologues, etc, not just the musical acts. You need to search elsewhere for complete episodes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Some episodes are trimmed to like one sketch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Which is shame because there are some all stars that are just lost now. Like the 5 minute long attack on Wilford Brimley or the Neil Diamond/Bigfoot duet infomercial

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's always been like that. I think when SNL was even on Netflix the stuff they had was cut to poo poo. They cut skits, opening monologues, etc, not just the musical acts. You need to search elsewhere for complete episodes.

Why do they cut non-music stuff?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

HH is a really dumb movie but entertaining dumb not insultingly dumb. Like, this is the gimmick, now watch us roll with it. Recommended.

Finally caught up with The Peripheral which is certainly a thing, but what kind of thing is unclear. The original novel by William Gibson is a great read but, like lots of Gibson novels, the story doesn't really make sense and there's a lot left unexplained or handwaved away.

The series is thus left to backfill a lot of the plot and does this in equal parts of clever additions or extrapolations to the world, major plot surgery or ridiculous melodramatics. The mix gradually moves from the first to the last as the series goes on. So while there's some cool story, workdbuilding and imagery, there's also an excess of scenery chewing powerbrokers ("I could crush you like a bug but I won't because REASONS"), and some cheap plot-irrelevant drama injected (my mama's ill, I'm ill, my unrequited romance, hillbilly crimelord, gang politics ...).

It finishes the series mid-story and I won't be very disappointed if it doesn't get renewed.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

1glitch0 posted:

Artists and their labels probably not wanting random streaming services to make money off their music I'm guessing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Artists and their labels probably not wanting random streaming services to make money off their music I'm guessing

Ok but what about the non-music stuff

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with the guest hosts? I remember being unable to find a sketch from back in the day with Julianna Margulies where she fed Will Ferrell like a baby bird. Given all the rumors of how difficult she is on set, I wonder if she demanded that sketch to be pulled.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Isn't SNL a (TV) 90 minute show that they cut down to a (TV) 60 for reruns?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Which is shame because there are some all stars that are just lost now. Like the 5 minute long attack on Wilford Brimley or the Neil Diamond/Bigfoot duet infomercial

https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-27-e-17-the-rock-andrew-w.-k

The latter at least is on archive.org. Around the 50 minute mark.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Come back to this post in about 3 years.

I just read the two latest Emily St. John Mandel books (Station Eleven author).

The Glass Hotel was...ok. Oddly just there.

But then I read Sea of Tranquility and it kind of all made sense. It's basically like a book that just exists to hook into Sea of Tranquility and (very loosely) tie it all together with Station Eleven.

Knowing that HBO/Paramount have picked up both books to be adapted, I'm excited to see what these end up being like. Sea of Tranquility was a really enjoyable read. Should be good!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

Isn't SNL a (TV) 90 minute show that they cut down to a (TV) 60 for reruns?

That's for syndication yeah but the originals still exist somewhere (NBC has occasionally run classic SNL late nights after new episodes.)

But yeah it makes no sense that the episodes are cut down this much. Like I was thinking music might have some effect- even the sketches would sometimes use a borrowed theme or two (the Christopher Walken "trivial psychic" sketch originally used the Hellraiser II theme)- but that can't account for some episodes being 20 minutes long.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’d be a little bit surprised if it’s the hosts - surely they sign something giving SNL rights to their performance?

Maybe it’s the writer of the skit? That still doesn’t make sense for the same reason…

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

but that can't account for some episodes being 20 minutes long.

oh that's wild

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

RCarr posted:

Ok but what about the non-music stuff

Woops I read that completely wrong haha. I are dumb

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Maybe there was a lot more blackface in SNL than we remember

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'll guess movie/tv rights for characters and sketches getting snapped up.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Sometimes SNL just tries to bury sketches for unexplained reasons. I remember a sketch from when Jason Lee was the host about a baby shower that was memory-holed even though there were no rights issues involved at all. They just removed it from reruns and I don't think it's available anywhere.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I looked up the episode I watched (a 1993 episode hosted by Christina Applegate) and the episodes cut based on that link -

FOCUS ON BEAUTY II
Cher (host) loves Lori Davis’ (CHF) no-alcohol spray

SAN LUIS OBISPO EXPERIMENTAL THEATER
The Backwards Romance- the events in (PHH)’s play are anti-chronological

YOU BET YOUR LIFE
Bill Cosby (ADS) babbles his way through the game show

HANGIN’ WITH MTV

G-Spot members (TIM) & (CSR) sing “All I Wanna Do Is Suck Your Big Toe”

I gueeessssss cutting Bill Cosby sketches are a good idea but I don't see any reason the others were cut.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'll go back and watch an old one now and then and recently went back to one with Johnny Knoxville hosting back in 2005 when Jason Sudeikis first joined and it was loaded with homophobia and transphobia. I know that was way more common at the time but I was shocked at just how many sketches were "lol gays" or "eww trans". If ever they should cut down an episode it was this one.

In my memory Johnny crossdressed or played a flamboyant gay guy in like half of his bits so it's possible he just picked or pitched a bunch of those.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

I'll go back and watch an old one now and then and recently went back to one with Johnny Knoxville hosting back in 2005 when Jason Sudeikis first joined and it was loaded with homophobia and transphobia. I know that was way more common at the time but I was shocked at just how many sketches were "lol gays" or "eww trans". If ever they should cut down an episode it was this one.

In my memory Johnny crossdressed or played a flamboyant gay guy in like half of his bits so it's possible he just picked or pitched a bunch of those.

I recently rewatched Malcolm in the Middle and it blew my mind that almost every episode (and I'm not exaggerating) have a gay joke of some sort in them. Whether it's just saying "That's gay" or Dewey pretending to be gay so Hal and Lois freak out, it happened a TON.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I rewatched Party Down last week in anticipation of the new episodes coming and there's a lot of "you're gay!" humor and one episode has a whole plot of a college quarterback getting skipped in the NFL draft because there are rumors that he's gay. I assume the new ones won't have any of that, at least I hope so.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jolo posted:

Friends was really bad about this. At one point I decided that I was going to start a cheeky blog with a post for each homophobic joke, rating them on a scale of 1 to 10 Chandlers, since his character was usually the butt of the jokes. I got through season 1 and was exhausted, because there were usually 4 or 5 homophobic jokes per episode. At the time the show was considered super progressive just for its inclusion of gay characters, but yikes, to that regard, it doesn't hold up at all. Of course, things got worse when they revealed that Chandler's dad was gay, and a drag queen, but they couldn't decide if he was a drag queen, or trans, going as far as hiring Kathleen Turner for the role.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jolo posted:

Its still pretty common at SNL. When Adam Driver hosted last back in 2020 he stretched his monologue an extra three minutes and said " I know I've kind of rambled a bit but the last skit of the night had me dress like a.woman and can't tell if its trans phobic or just lazy but now they have to cut it."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I rewatched Party Down last week in anticipation of the new episodes coming and there's a lot of "you're gay!" humor and one episode has a whole plot of a college quarterback getting skipped in the NFL draft because there are rumors that he's gay. I assume the new ones won't have any of that, at least I hope so.

That subplot's a critique of homophobia in organised sports, that ends on a darkly satirical rainbow capitalism bit. I wouldn't say it's homophobic.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Speaking of Party Down, that new season trailer don’t look so hot.

https://youtu.be/Ad3ELGjAG7c

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FishBowlRobot posted:

Speaking of Party Down, that new season trailer don’t look so hot.

https://youtu.be/Ad3ELGjAG7c

Am I going crazy, didn’t Party Down already come back once? Wasn’t there a movie or something?

Edit: it’s possible I’m confusing it with Veronica Mars…

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frogbs posted:

Am I going crazy, didn’t Party Down already come back once? Wasn’t there a movie or something?

Edit: it’s possible I’m confusing it with Veronica Mars…

There was a Veronica Mars movie and a fourth season of the show

BUT

there's also a Childrens Hospital episode that features the characters (for about thirty seconds).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trailer looks good. I think they’ve been hyping the reboot for a couple years that might be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gonna cancel HBO after Last of Us. Any hidden gems I should catch before then?