Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Thats such a dumb design choice though, hey your classes defining feature well it could be a liability because we're too lazy to simply add powerful flash lights to everything for this mission thats in complete darkness. How hard would it have been to give every weapon an additional alt fire option that toggled your flash light on or off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Just have the staff light up with witchfire. Make it a torch, not a flashlight

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's clear stuff was designed around the idea of customizing your weapon w sights or flashlight and then they removed it and didn't change anything else. Headhunter guns would be way more useful/fun if they had anything but the shittiest iron scopes available.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Just let us change our loadout before you load in and know what you are about to get into. Like a Ready Check with gear options.

WHO keeps shouting in my house to stop clicking Quick Play? I will never not click the button!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If they add weapons customisation like high pressure flamers for range, or wide nozzles for area flaming, it would be so cool.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Arghy posted:

Thats such a dumb design choice though, hey your classes defining feature well it could be a liability because we're too lazy to simply add powerful flash lights to everything for this mission thats in complete darkness. How hard would it have been to give every weapon an additional alt fire option that toggled your flash light on or off?

Well you see each staff has to have an absolutely useless and slow melee attack as it's altfire because...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khizan posted:

Just have the staff light up with witchfire. Make it a torch, not a flashlight

This would look so awesome.

Power Outage + Fog when? :)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Khizan posted:

Make it a torch, not a flashlight

Very confusing for British people

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
beatstick for ogryn feels pretty good now

faster heavy attacks with bleed own

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Man the lag is thick tonight.

The way this game just randomly hates my internet is so loving weird. I've gotten lag in games before but it's just unreal how some nights it just becomes floaty and janky and enemies ice skate into the sky.

Other nights are fine. Sometimes two games, back to back, will be completely different.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Finally convinced my friends to stop trying darktide and go back to DRG until they add content and dear god the difference. We were all practically weeping with joy as we drank and did haz5, just vibing with all the thoughtful content and well thought out designs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You'd think that all the staves would emit light when charging them up but apparently they don't so that's really lame

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Space Wizards can make heads explode and make staffs shoot lightning and nonconsenually get touched by the warp and sprout tentacles, but can't manage a Light cantrip

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm sure they can trip in the dark just fine

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Spanish Manlove posted:

You'd think that all the staves would emit light when charging them up but apparently they don't so that's really lame

They did for about a week, but did so with a flashing strobe effect. Many players (including me) suffered headaches and some were at risk of seizures.

The current Surge staff is really good for Lights Out. It highlights enemies regardless of cover and can be easily blindfired to suss out dangers out in the darkness.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the only person that regrets their purchase of DRG. Last played Jan 19 2019. 3.5hrs total played :smith:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Stanley Pain posted:

I must be the only person that regrets their purchase of DRG. Last played Jan 19 2019. 3.5hrs total played :smith:

DRG is almost the opposite of Darktide, it has All The Things, but the floaty combat with weapons filling up half the screen just puts me off.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Stanley Pain posted:

My friends and I got very tired, very fast with DRG. Plus we just couldn't vibe with the dwarves, they were just grating.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I bounced off DRG at first and then came back randomly and it’s now MY GAME. I’ve just unlocked every weapon overclock.

I’m still getting crashes in dark tide the first time I load into a mission for a play session. It’s generally ok after that even in subsequent missions. It’s weird.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Stanley Pain posted:

It's 2023, maybe give it another chance.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I skipped a cutscene while there was a slow-motion effect happening, and animations got stuck in slow motion until I restarted the game.

https://i.imgur.com/icskwGm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/bT3oatk.mp4

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

DRG and vermintide both took like, 30 hours of being forced to play them with my friends before they clicked. Now they are two of my favorite games of all time. I wonder how many other games I've passed on that I would enjoy after 30 loving hours of effort. It's an insane time investment and I don't know why it took that long. Maybe I just had to reach a baseline level of competency to be able to engage with the game at a certain level where they became fun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

DRG and vermintide both took like, 30 hours of being forced to play them with my friends before they clicked. Now they are two of my favorite games of all time. I wonder how many other games I've passed on that I would enjoy after 30 loving hours of effort. It's an insane time investment and I don't know why it took that long. Maybe I just had to reach a baseline level of competency to be able to engage with the game at a certain level where they became fun.

For PvE games Monster Hunter is definitely up there for taking a lot of effort and some guidance from friends before it all clicked and became super amazing of a game.

For PvP any game you can think of applies, the big ones for me personally as examples are Dead By Daylight and Apex Legends. When you have to say "it's really fun! But you need like 100 hours before you stop eating poo poo constantly..."

Well, lol. Burden of knowledge is extra high for PvP in general.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I cannot wrap my head around what anyone finds appealing about Dead by Daylight.
It's my anti-game.

Back in the day loving WoW of all things was my social game - played it with coworkers, we'd take over the office for weekends - when everything was new and unexplored it was an incredible experience being literally the 'first' to do stuff in our social circles.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

I cannot wrap my head around what anyone finds appealing about Dead by Daylight.
It's my anti-game.

Back in the day loving WoW of all things was my social game - played it with coworkers, we'd take over the office for weekends - when everything was new and unexplored it was an incredible experience being literally the 'first' to do stuff in our social circles.

Dead By Daylight is a tense horror game while you are new/poo poo, and turns into an awful game of tag as you play and win enough; it's like an inverse enjoyment curve to time invested. The game is way more fun with friends or at low/middle MMR ranges where people either play for fun or are poo poo at playing the optimal meta so it doesn't bother you as much, and slowly becomes worse as you hit the top end and need to re-learn how to play the game in a way to make the other side as miserable as fast as possible to succeed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

It's 2023, maybe give it another chance.

Why?

big cummers ONLY posted:

DRG and vermintide both took like, 30 hours

30+ hours is what I put into games I REALLY like. :shobon: Putting in 1-2 hours is already pushing it for me on something I don't like.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 20, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's been 4 years of additions/improvements/patches since you played it last and it's a really good game so maybe you'll like it this time? :shrug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if it's an entirely new game, with different graphics, better weapons, etc then I guess I can check it out again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's obviously not going to be that so I guess just don't! That's okay too!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Like I said, I just never clicked with the game after 3 1/2 hours (which is more time than I'd normally put into a game I don't initially like). It's ok to like/not like it. S'all good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DRG is, to me, like it's own kind of game. Sure, it's a team objective shooter but even on harder difficulties the game is unbelievably chill. The fact that all the maps are sorta procedurally generated means the devs can afford to focus on gameplay more, which is nice. It's not a pretty game and it's one of those games I had to play for a while to appreciate within it's own context; sort of how like if you go and try to play Morrowind now your mind recoils in horror but after a few hours of playing it you start to parse polygons again. I wouldn't say it's easy so much as it just doesn't demand very much from you except at the highest tiers of play. I do of course wish that every game dev had the same kind of ethos as Ghost Ship and I love DRG to pieces but I don't think it's interchangeable with PD2 or DT or whatever.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

explosivo posted:

There's been 4 years of additions/improvements/patches since you played it last and it's a really good game so maybe you'll like it this time? :shrug:

Yeah pretty much this

Stanley Pain posted:

I mean if it's an entirely new game, with different graphics, better weapons, etc then I guess I can check it out again.

I mean there are literally new weapons so...
In any case, you do you.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

also in the four years since the game came out all the weapon models, sounds, and stats have been changed so its literally a new game in almost every way. like the physics on a lot of stuff has been changed, nearly all the models replaced, like 10x as much enemy variety, the terrain generation has been iterated on several times

idk i never got heavily into drg when it first came out bc it was a bit too bare bones but its become a great game

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

In any case, you do you.

What's this even mean? I was asking a question. Like has the core gameplay of DRG changed so dramatically that if I didn't like it 4 years ago I would now? Wanted to gauge if it's worth trying to get back into. Time wise I have to be selective with what I play :shobon:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DRG is one of those games that every 6 months or so I get the itch to play, so I download it and do 2-3 missions and have fun, but then I uninstall it because it's incredibly repetitive and the missions are bland and generic after you've seen them once or twice.

All in all not a bad place for a game to be in because I rarely touch games again after uninstalling them, but no individual part of it is particularly outstanding.

E: it feels fundamentally no different in-mission to me now than it did around launch, outside of having a few new mission types and enemies and guns. But the meta progression and cosmetic stuff has expanded quite a lot. Basically if you didn't like it before they've done nothing to win you over now, but if you did like it before they've significantly expanded the "reasons to keep playing" pool

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 21, 2023

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's changed hugely, there's a ton more variety in every aspect and they've improved practically every part of the game since 2019.

But at heart it's still the coop mining and shooting game, that's not going to change

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Stanley Pain posted:

What's this even mean? I was asking a question. Like has the core gameplay of DRG changed so dramatically that if I didn't like it 4 years ago I would now? Wanted to gauge if it's worth trying to get back into. Time wise I have to be selective with what I play :shobon:

It simply means continue catering to your own desires. I'm not dunking on you or trying to be a dick.

I think it's worth trying again after 4 years, but if it's not your cup of tea then oh well. I agree with the other posters, the game has changed a bit; there's new weapons, enemies, and events. Can missions get repetitive? Yeah, but they're far less repetitive than Darktide (a low bar) and at least every level is different due to procedural generation.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2023

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

theres like twice as many mission types now too, with a lot more variance in playstyle than the original set had. like idk if point extraction was even in 4 years ago, never mind the drilldozer and pipeline missions, or rival incursions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm the same with DRG, i bounce off it every time i play it. I enjoy it for a night or two, then its back in the rotation. Didn't take up like 50 hours in two weeks like tide did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I play darktide because I like 40K and I wanna smash heretics in a 40K game, and darktide feels more 40K than any other game GW has ever licensed. I get all the meta complaints about progression, stability etc (I have experienced close to 0 technical issues playing it, though my lag has become intermittently bad after being nonexistent for the first month or so), but the core gameplay feels amazing and that’s what keeps me playing.