Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

With any luck we'll get dyable versions of them someday like we just got with the LotA sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Not bad, but I actually prefer the "tank top and huge gauntlets" aesthetic I have on my main GNB glam.

Also I fiddled with my ShB AST glam a bit:

Blood Red works a lot better than Metallic, but still doesn't match the hat. Gonna need to find some 90s to drag me through Deltascape Savage a few times for a dyeable Genji. I really want to make that hat work because it's the closest we can get to the fancy-rear end Ishgardian astrologian hat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This has serious M.Bison vibes and I love it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a recommended goon world to be on while Excalibur is in "gently caress Off We're Full" mode?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

not sure about other goons but for now I'm in Exodus and it's not too bad. people are friendly enough, busy areas are pretty much always packed with people and the queues aren't too bad. I haven't gotten through my free trial period yet so I couldn't comment as to the wider community and FCs and all that

Could someone explain to me how POTD works? Do I only have to go through the first 50 floors once to unlock the higher levels for other classes or do I need to run through all the floors with all of my classes at least once? how long would that run take btw

this is pretty much the best option for leveling alt classes right?

God Hole fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 19, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Reject goon worlds, embrace Dynamis.

Because I need faster queues :(

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

God Hole posted:

Could someone explain to me how POTD works? Do I only have to go through the first 50 floors once to unlock the higher levels for other classes or do I need to run through all the floors with all of my classes at least once? how long would that run take btw

this is pretty much the best option for leveling alt classes right?

You only have to go through the first 50 floors once to unlock the floor 51 starting point for any job. Progress checkpoints every 10 floors, each set of 10 takes maybe 15 minutes with some queueing in between. I don't know what the queues are like for going e.g. floor 31-40, but I'm guessing they're longish since that's not going to be super popular. You might be able to set up a 1-50 run in Catgirl Bargains or some other relevant discord or linkshell.

As far as XP goes, if you ignore queue times then deep dungeons are better than FATEs and hunts, worse than dungeons and roulettes. If you do count queue times then it depends. It might be better xp/time than dungeon spam for DPS, it almost certainly isn't for TH. It's definitely worse than doing most your roulettes once/day (exceptions: guildhest, 5678). Personally I prefer regular dungeons even when leveling DPS, although it's been a while since I had a sub-L70 job. The queue is a good time to finish job quests, go through the hunt log, maybe do custom deliveries or do some gathering...

Note that, and I can not stress this enough: do not solo PotD to level. Soloing is a challenge mode, it doesn't scale down the mobs in any way. You're just doing a 4-man dungeon alone, which you may or may not find fun but definitely will not find efficient.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akett posted:

With any luck we'll get dyable versions of them someday like we just got with the LotA sets.

And won't require us to do Ivalice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Aphrodite posted:

And won't require us to do Ivalice.

7.0 patch notes: Shadow of Mhach and Return to Ivalice raid series are now required by MSQ, because Leofard is raiding the Prima Vista.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

7.1 Patch notes: Return to Ivalice cutscenes are now unskippable. Even the quest ones.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

7.2 patch notes: Ivalice cutscenes no longer play at double intended speed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

7.3 patch notes: error fixed where Ivalice raids could be started prior to completing 4.56 MSQ quests. They must be completed following the quest “A Requiem for Heroes” and prior to beginning the quest “The Sycrus Trench”.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
7.3.1 patch notes: After receiving player feedback in regards to the previous patch's bugfixes, all affected characters have had their MSQ progress reset. MSQ progress will be restored upon completing Orbonne Monastery (Extreme) at the intended gear level.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nothing like having a dungeon abandoned because your healer flat out cannot do the job and blames their using a controller for doing so.

The mist dragon can be a pain in the rear end in The Burn, but that doesn't explain running into the orange. What the hell, it's a level 70 dungeon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bad form to post that in the new players thread, half of which is reassuring people that no one will get pissy online if they gently caress up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Super No Vacancy posted:

bad form to post that in the new players thread, half of which is reassuring people that no one will get pissy online if they gently caress up

I stuck with it for over a half hour, I did not vote to abandon, but I am still just confused. Can someone who is familiar with console let me know what the healer experience is? I know it can be a literal handful to juggle everything, especially targeting, but I've never seen some of these issues before.

And for the record I'm not coming down like I was perfect or anything. It's a tricky boss, it's got some quick mechanics it likes to bust out, I died as well. I'm just scratching my head because we tried about 10 times on that drat dragon and some things just did not improve.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Shinjobi posted:

Nothing like having a dungeon abandoned because your healer flat out cannot do the job and blames their using a controller for doing so.

The mist dragon can be a pain in the rear end in The Burn, but that doesn't explain running into the orange. What the hell, it's a level 70 dungeon.

Without any other info my first guess would be a first time healer taking a fresh Sage into a 70 dungeon and not knowing what buttons do what. Or even a scholar who has only exclusively levelled summoner. Because most dungeon bosses are very easy to heal (if appropriately geared both tank and healer) without having to press more than a few different buttons.

Like everyone has to learn somewhere, but the best way is low level dungeons where you only have a few buttons and building on that (especially with controller and practising the different pages)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That might explain it. And again, I am venting here but I did not in game. Just tried to walk them through some of the mechanics as best I could, but since I'm not on controller I couldn't really assist on that. Sorry, I'm trying not to be an rear end in a top hat here but I did barge in still miffed about the whole thing.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The Burn final boss is certainly one of the most wipe prone dungeon bosses in the game, but controller players clear ultimate content all the time, theres no reason they can't do dungeon content

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I've personally healed The Burn on controller even.

Also speaking of Ivalice...

These quests are universally deeply hilarious as a Dalmascan Rava Viera.

(Even if it would be very IC for my boy to pretend very hard he doesn't know anything because he doesn't like to talk about his past.)

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.
Healing with controller is imo easier than with kbm, but with the caveat that you’ve spent the time to learn all the (completely unexplained) ways to configure it and practiced to develop some muscle memory. If you’re trying to heal without the expanded cross bar options or not using soft targeting, then yeah, you’ll probably find it almost impossible to walk and chew gum.

I’m really glad I switched, but there was definitely a month where I only played with trusts and still wiped a lot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I dunno that I've ever been mad about a wipe on the final boss of the Burn, or even seen anyone get mad about it. That dude's just a generalized "ha ha this sucks" and acceptance that it might take a couple tries.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Running into the orange and dropping at 70 makes me think the player was either drunk or trying a new healer class they didn't get for the first time.

I just assume most players running normal content are drunk and stoned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
'Healing on controller' wouldn't do it, but some combination of 'new to healing', 'new to controller', and 'the Burn is a fucker' would.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also 'healing on controller' is a decent excuse for when you want someone to stop yelling at and blaming you specifically for wiping to probably the hardest levelling boss in the game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No one was yelling, the entire party was civil and just making sure everyone was on the same page.

My post here was infinitely more aggressive and irritated than anything I've said in game chat. Chewing somebody out is not going to fix the issue.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I've certainly learned a lot.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It also depends what was killing everyone. If you were all taking damage from avoidable attacks, but getting patched up after, it's very easy for a shield healer like sage to run out of resources and fall behind.
If you were dying to unavoidable damage because you didn't get healed from the previous unavoidable damage, that's likely a newer healer that is panicking and/or doesn't know their buttons well.

Either way, the burn is a pita dungeon, and even harder if you're trying to learn the blu spell.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I recall a healer we had once for the dungeon capping off Stormblood, right before leading into Shadowbringers. The poor healer had terrible self confidence and kept dying to mechanics on the last boss and apologizing profusely. The tank (I think) got kinda annoyed and more or less told them to man up, quit whining, and focus. A sorta "tough love" where you could tell they were frustrated but still trying to be a bit encouraging. I did my best to cheer the healer on, gently encourage, and sit down to explain the mechanics. I think I also told them to just stick by me. We cleared it the next try.

I hope that healer is doing well and still enjoying the game. I mean, I got a bit annoyed with them too, but as someone with self esteem issues myself I empathized with them.

Honestly some of the best experiences I've had in this game is when poo poo goes south in group content and the rest of the party remains encouraging and positive with each other despite repeated setbacks. I know there's still grumpy folks out there anyway, but by and large they seem pretty good at holding their tongue and just hitting the exit ASAP as soon as the run is over.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
You still deffo see the occasional salt in normal roulettes but by and large I’ve had only pleasant experiences when things have gone wrong - especially if you’re open about in chat and are clearly trying people are generally p.chill.

The most I’ve ever seen people lose their poo poo was back in the old castrum when sprouts didn’t get the mechanic you had to do with the cannon but even then it was mostly just mild annoyance. Having said that I am an extremely casual player who is only now getting into the normal raid content (it’s very good and I’m an idiot for ignoring it so long!)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to exchange words with whoever designed E11N. It popped for my second time ever on raid roulette last night and it was not a fun experience.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bloody Pom posted:

I would like to exchange words with whoever designed E11N. It popped for my second time ever on raid roulette last night and it was not a fun experience.
You just need to remember that fire = in, lightning = out. It's easy outside of that one untelegraphed mechanic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The great thing about E11N is that there are no birds, portals, or birds flying through portals

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I recall a healer we had once for the dungeon capping off Stormblood, right before leading into Shadowbringers. The poor healer had terrible self confidence and kept dying to mechanics on the last boss and apologizing profusely. The tank (I think) got kinda annoyed and more or less told them to man up, quit whining, and focus. A sorta "tough love" where you could tell they were frustrated but still trying to be a bit encouraging. I did my best to cheer the healer on, gently encourage, and sit down to explain the mechanics. I think I also told them to just stick by me. We cleared it the next try.

If this is the dungeon and boss I'm thinking of, that one can be a real challenge. I was in a run once with three wipes on it, which taught me the following facts:

1) A solo tank cannot beat the final DPS check
2) There's no death wall or other way to quickly wipe the fight if you're a solo tank going into that DPS check

I think I apologized for not being able to death-wall after the second wipe. We got it eventually, though!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
That fight can be super rough, especially if you don't notice or keep track of the bouncing lines showing you where the boss will attack! That was the main thing tripping up the healer and causing him to die so much, if I recall correctly.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bloody Pom posted:

E11N is a fun example of where you're meant to learn from your failures cause everyone's bound to eat a vuln stack due to the unmarked telegraphs their first time through.

Aglaia is also another fun example just cause almost every boss has some gotcha mechanic that will hit everyone blind their first time through (and they're not just following the crowd now).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Allarion posted:

(and they're not just following the crowd now).

I do enjoy that I've survived a lot of mechanics just by following the mass of players like a school of fish.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

I do enjoy that I've survived a lot of mechanics just by following the mass of players like a school of fish.

And then sometimes the mass is wrong and everyone dies

Except for me and then I start dropping verraises and salvage the run cause I'm a Red Mage. :smug:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Always follow the crowd, at least you won't die alone, and it won't be your fault.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Always follow the crowd, at least you won't die alone, and it won't be your fault.
UNLESS you have a huge rear end marker of death on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I got copied factory twice in a row in roulettes last night which was cool as I’d only just unlocked that raid - most of it was manageable but I had absolutely zero clue how to read that last boss and spent a lot of time having a nap - got better the second time around though!

Zanael posted:

UNLESS you have a huge rear end marker of death on you

Sharing is caring :)