Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah honestly I can't watch the old videos because of the voice and editing it's just too rough, modern stuff is way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

The voice change was good imo. His early videos sound like he’s doing a Mr. Plinkett impression. I hope he’s done with the Thief games soon, those videos are his most boring.

No I meant I heard his later stuff first and I just can't get into his old voice. Funny you mention plinkett because the jokes and editing do remind me of rlm which is a plus for me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant I heard his later stuff first and I just can't get into his old voice. Funny you mention plinkett because the jokes and editing do remind me of rlm which is a plus for me

Ah, gotcha. He should really do a new video for Blood 2.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The voice change was good imo. His early videos sound like he’s doing a Mr. Plinkett impression. I hope he’s done with the Thief games soon, those videos are his most boring.

He said in this week's Petty Thief that he's pushing through it so he can do something more people will likely enjoy. It's obviously a passion project for him, but he knows they have a limited audience.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Civvie can do something in a hurry when he wants- when Cultic came out he basically vanished from Twitter for several days and then published a video about it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah the Thief videos have the issue that unlike the Postal videos not enough shenanigans are happening

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How the hell can you notice someone disappearing from twitter for a few days, the gently caress?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Between 04 JAN and 09 JAN 2023, the Popeyes Twitter page posted no updates--the longest hiatus I can remember in recent memory--and it deeply unsettled me as it happened.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Serephina posted:

How the hell can you notice someone disappearing from twitter for a few days, the gently caress?

I was curious to see what he'd say about the full version and kept checking his account.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if someone only posts on twitter every 5 days that's a successful usage of twitter

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I love Civvies Thief videos

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Good soup! posted:

Thy Flesh Consumed rules

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Civvies Thief videos
Likewise. Couldn't bring myself to finish the ones on Postal, though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When I was a little kid, I'd play the original Doom with a friend; we called it "tank style": one of us would control the "right" side of the keyboard, using the arrow keys to steer movement, and the other would control the "left" side of the keyboard, using the numkeys to select weapons and Ctrl to fire.

I consider this the original form of co-op.

I used to do this with a friend too. It was a lot of when you're a small child

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
for my money the optimum coop setup as a kid was jetfighter Ii and having one person use the joystick and the other pretend to be the gunner

this also sort of worked for Wolf

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My dad had two computers on a LAN in his office and he let me install Doom on both of them so my friend and I got to play a lot of actual multiplayer Doom as a kid. :unsmith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like Civvie's Thief videos because I'm not going to play them. I'm not a fan (and bad) at stealth games so it's a fun way to watch a LP.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Assepoester posted:

There was a graveyard maze where the layout was changed/randomized by the L4D Director. I don't recall any other examples of it actually changing the level route/layout.

Been a while, but I think for the panic event in the mall where the alarm goes off it could pick a store/backrooms access point on closer or farther up floors of the mall depending on how well you were doing. But yeah it was fairly limited in scope either way.

Also obviously w/r/t to randomized objectives and twists you have Payday and Payday 2 where higher difficulties made it more likely to encounter complications. There were also very minor map randomizations like different locations for security rooms or certain key doors, but still very little in terms of true map alterations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

John Murdoch posted:

Been a while, but I think for the panic event in the mall where the alarm goes off it could pick a store/backrooms access point on closer or farther up floors of the mall depending on how well you were doing. But yeah it was fairly limited in scope either way.

Huh I just thought I got confused and went the wrong way those times. Anyway a little further I can deal with since you just got the laser sights from the gun store. God that might be my favorite AK. Can't hit poo poo in CS but I can dome a zombie at 200 meters

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I finished Cultic. I have some quibbles with movement* and gunplay** in this but on the whole, really impressive game. Love the art and overall graphical style, sound and music are fantastic (one of the best menu themes I think I’ve heard in an FPS), pacing and atmosphere are fantastic, it does horror and action equally well. I want to know what’s on the other side of that portal, and shoot it. For a one-man show it’s fantastic. Imo this is the game Blood should have been.

*very slippery, sometimes in a way that feels great where you seamlessly sprint and slide around the battlefield vaulting over stuff, sometimes in a way where you fall down 100 times trying to make an extremely simple jump to a weapon part.

**everything is weak and inaccurate for first few levels, gets better eventually due to upgrades/new weapons but in the meantime the cultists are all crack shots who can nail you from as far away as they can see you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I find decreasing enemy accuracy by about 10% feels right. Jasozz's whole thing about that was "the enemies' weapons have exactly the same spread as yours, what are you complaining about" but he's not thinking about the fact that the aim is pixel accurate before weapon spread and the time it takes the projectiles to get to you, which isn't really what human players are going to have. I think he ended up doubling enemy weapon spread due to complaints from the demo.

That said, distant enemies will have a lot more trouble hitting you if you're moving a little since almost every enemy attack is a projectile instead of hitscan.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I like Civvie's Thief videos because I'm not going to play them. I'm not a fan (and bad) at stealth games so it's a fun way to watch a LP.

Thief 2 is so, so good. But I'm just loving awful at it and every map ends with a pile of corpses.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Milo and POTUS posted:

I miss big boxes of pc games so much. Sometimes the best part of some of these games was the box considering some of the crap I got sometimes. Still, marketing seemed to be on point back then. We've already talked about the giant lore novels that shipped with some of these games but even the boxes knew they could reel you in
Nostalgia Rush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TjTgG3LaA

Fun history of the really weird and creative boxes:

https://www.itsnicethat.com/features/hock-wah-yeo-game-packaging-graphic-design-260422

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi64HL4sY24

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure that people in this thread have posted their half-controller/half-mouse setups. It's weird to me, but also I understand it. When I was a kid we had a joystick that I used for all sorts of stuff. I think I first used it for Wing Commander, which makes sense, but I also have very clear memories of playing the Phantom Menace game with it* and I'm pretty sure I used it for basically everything that wasn't an RTS.

*There was a slider on the side, for throttle maybe, but it had to be positioned centered when playing or the camera would spin around uncontrollably.

Sir Lemming posted:

For some reason I used to insist on using flight stick + keyboard for FPSes (and pretty much everything else, including stuff like Flashback). I guess it just felt cooler than a mouse to me, and good PC gamepads were still hard to come by in those days.
Yeah this was a thing for a while, with dedicated joysticks for it, first the Wingman for games where you didn't need to look up and down, and later the Panther for games where you do

https://twitter.com/decafjedi/status/1231966948126126085

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
hello

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Guillermus posted:

same, I love watching him play a game that I respect a lot and also know I would have ZERO patience for

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like stealth games like the Metal Gear series but don’t think I’d enjoy Thief.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i wish he'd do a video on they hunger/ darkstar

Niel Manke come back to us :c

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I had this theory as a kid that the Thief series--based on nothing besides the progression from Thief to Thief 2: The Metal Age--would advance technologically until, by Thief 4, it would be set in a modern alternate universe.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

verbal enema posted:

i wish he'd do a video on they hunger/ darkstar

Niel Manke come back to us :c

The Source engine They Hunger never happening is such a shame.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like stealth games like the Metal Gear series but don’t think I’d enjoy Thief.

I thought I liked Stealth Games but what I really like is Metal Gear. One of these days I wanna play the games I haven't gotten to yet

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pope Guilty posted:

The Source engine They Hunger never happening is such a shame.

man thatd had been very very cool

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They Hunger hasn't aged super well but at the time it was incredible.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Name Change posted:

They Hunger hasn't aged super well but at the time it was incredible.

i played through most of it i stalled out somewhere in ep3 but i thought it was still great

creepy as gently caress to this day

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
they hunger was so good that PCGamer released a disc with one of their mags that was NO DEMOS just They Hunger 1-3 , Darkstar, and something else i forget

i treasured that disc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Co-op support for They Hunger came out pretty recently in Sven Co-op

You should be able to find plenty of people playing it already

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
someone needs to cover the hondo hl1 maps in better detail for all the zoomers as creepypasta

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't realize but it sounds like USS Darkstar & They Hunger weren't just mods that PC Gamer decided to throw on one of their discs because of their quality--they were actually produced for PC Gamer?

Black Widow Games Wikipedia Page posted:

Notable releases included the Half Life spin-off, USS Darkstar (produced for PC Gamer), and the They Hunger series (produced for PC Gamer).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't realize but it sounds like USS Darkstar & They Hunger weren't just mods that PC Gamer decided to throw on one of their discs because of their quality--they were actually produced for PC Gamer?

It was a very different time. See also: Game developer that just ships Half-Life mods

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm really looking forward to this game and Beyond Sunset

I tried the demo for Beyond Sunset, and it's really good, but the boss is rage-inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i can't think of anywhere more appropriate to post this and misery loves company so please enjoy this doom remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z4ffRUuUk