Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh ho! Thank you!

Man it's either this or buying Rail Route. How nerdy do I feel today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

who the gently caress ends the weekend free play on sunday evening, I spent this time downloading it after hemming and hawing and can't even try it. gently caress you 2k

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreenBuckanneer posted:

who the gently caress ends the weekend free play on sunday evening, I spent this time downloading it after hemming and hawing and can't even try it. gently caress you 2k

lol, owned

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Oh ho! Thank you!

Man it's either this or buying Rail Route. How nerdy do I feel today.
just bear in mind that as I mentioned before, the customization in the game basically amounts to "do you want this arcade cabinet in this square? or this square?" so it's not a designy game. can't even change the design of the wallpaper/carpet (although they are perfect for an arcade at least)

i think one of the new tiers of games I unlocked includes a Qix clone so I am working immediately towards that

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 20, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

theres also the persistent feel like I'm going to get mugged by microtransactions somewhere though

Thankfully, the only microtransactions are for extra costumes. Bizarrely all of them come with the season pass, so them making a system for microtransactions was really unneeded, they could have just made them normal DLC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQA1P3Akrk
Wait, did the original Solium Infernum have RTS battles?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even worse, it ended this morning, I think at like 10 AM PST. So same for me; I started the download before going out for the night and didn't get home until 2:30 AM.

Most (good) games should have permanent demos, drat it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TeaJay posted:

Count me in with similar Ghost Song experiences. The beginning felt incredibly atmospheric and exciting, but as the game went along, it kinda lost a lot of the mystery. Some areas existed simply for being somewhere to pick up a ship part, not much else. The ending left me wanting something more, even with the secret ending, which felt like "okay, and?" more than a big reveal.

But all in all a positive experience, it's just hard to be more memorable than some of the hallmarks of the genre.

I didn't even bother finishing it, it just wasn't going anywhere and getting increasingly tedious to play. A lot of the combat is pretty clunky too with the hitboxes being what they are

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

Even worse, it ended this morning, I think at like 10 AM PST. So same for me; I started the download before going out for the night and didn't get home until 2:30 AM.

Yeah it was noon EST. I downloaded it last night as I was sleeping, I went out and touched grass, as the kids say, and came back, chilled out, made dinner, went "I should try that free play before sunday is over", and realized it was deactivated while I was still touching grass (being outside with friends)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
House in Fata Morgana

So often touted as one of the best VNs available, I've owned it for years and finally decided to play it. I wouldn't normally post until I've seen the entire thing, but the whiplash from the first story being kinda meh and the second story being loving amazing is so strong it bears mentioning. I read the first story, then stopped playing for about 3 weeks before convincing myself to get back into it and the next part just blew me away. Definitely going to finish this game real soon.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQA1P3Akrk
Wait, did the original Solium Infernum have RTS battles?

none of these battles are RTS battles?

It's just animated units colliding on hex boundaries

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fez_machine posted:

none of these battles are RTS battles?

It's just animated units colliding on hex boundaries

Yeah that's what I figured after watching it again. Too bad

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ended up buying Midnight Suns because of the free weekend (and the discount). It takes a while to get going but it's really fun and I'm surprisingly enjoying the friendship system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the really really slow build up hurt a bit but once it gets going you're running all over looking for loving mushrooms and presents and tearing up cards to merge other cards and oh god magik's injured again also weve got to find someone to bake a cake and pet the dog and the cat and

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So I went to see a Tony Hawks Pro Skater cover band at the weekend (The 900 - one of the most fun shows I've ever been to) and it got me wondering.

Why the gently caress isn't that THPS 1+2 remaster on Steam yet?

I thought it was only Epic exclusive for a year, which has now passed?

I keep hearing about how Activision are desperate for the MS acquisition to go through as they've essentially backed their own business into a corner. That seems like a super quick win for a buck or two. See also; Crash Team Racing on PC.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Same, really bizarre. Oh well, until next time.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Bumhead posted:

So I went to see a Tony Hawks Pro Skater cover band at the weekend (The 900 - one of the most fun shows I've ever been to) and it got me wondering.

Why the gently caress isn't that THPS 1+2 remaster on Steam yet?

I thought it was only Epic exclusive for a year, which has now passed?

I keep hearing about how Activision are desperate for the MS acquisition to go through as they've essentially backed their own business into a corner. That seems like a super quick win for a buck or two. See also; Crash Team Racing on PC.

sort of related but i was playing this yesterday on ps4 and apparently (can confirm as i tried it) the online servers actually no longer connect unless you tether yourself to a mobile hotspot??? this has apparently been the case since january 1st

does anyone know why the hell this would be the case or even function as a workaround?

great game otherwise, freakin owns

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

haha what posted:

sort of related but i was playing this yesterday on ps4 and apparently (can confirm as i tried it) the online servers actually no longer connect unless you tether yourself to a mobile hotspot??? this has apparently been the case since january 1st

lol what

rox
Sep 7, 2016

wired connection, nothin
wifi connection, nothin
setting up my phone as a hotspot, works instantly every time

tried restarting my router, playstation, fiddled around with the settings, that was the only thing that worked.

otherwise, it will just spin infinitely on the connecting to the online servers... bit

this is the only video game i ever seen something like this happen, i dont know how people even figured it out as a workaround

https://www.reddit.com/r/THPS/comments/1069ly7/report_a_server_outage_to_activision/

rox fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 20, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agent Escalus posted:

Even dice finally ended server support for the battlefield 1942 demo in like 2016

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

crazy that they had nearly 75 years worth of service for that

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

haha what posted:

Haha, wtf

It's such a monkeys paw release. Yeah you get this remake and actually it's brilliant, but here's a load of bullshit around the edges of it and we're not putting it on Steam. Also, don't expect the most home run, bankable DLC anyone could possibly make with a 3+4 remaster because we can't be arsed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Bumhead posted:

Haha, wtf

It's such a monkeys paw release. Yeah you get this remake and actually it's brilliant, but here's a load of bullshit around the edges of it and we're not putting it on Steam. Also, don't expect the most home run, bankable DLC anyone could possibly make with a 3+4 remaster because we can't be arsed.
Stuff like that is why I'm less pessimistic about the prospective Microsoft acquisition than I would be about almost any other instance of industry consolidation. There's nowhere to go but up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Apparently Atomic Heart lacks a FOV slider and has mouse acceleration that you can't turn off :sigh:

I imagine those are things modders will able to fix, but goddamn what year is it

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Atomic Heart comes out tomorrow, and I wanted to play it, but the Russian ties seem kind of gross and shady. Anyone have any details on those? The most I've found was a Eurogamer article that's swayed me away from playing it for the moment.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Atomic Heart has a weird aesthetic disconnect between the artstyle and the dialogue. Like, the artstyle screams "european arthouse scifi", while the dialogue is "american straight-to-video action".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Atomic Heart comes out tomorrow, and I wanted to play it, but the Russian ties seem kind of gross and shady. Anyone have any details on those? The most I've found was a Eurogamer article that's swayed me away from playing it for the moment.

Well, I already re-subbed to Game Pass last week so I'm still gonna check it out :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

uh ohhhhhhhhh

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 20, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Well, I already re-subbed to Game Pass last week so I'm still gonna check it out :shrug:

Yeah I have game pass, it's just I wouldn't be comfortable playing it after reading through this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/questions-remain-over-atomic-heart-developers-russian-origins

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

You want details about how the Russian game was made by Russians? I don’t know what to tell you bud

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay but what about the sexy robot girls?

I was under the impression that they were the reason why people were buying that game and not because they were clamoring for more slavjank.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah I have game pass, it's just I wouldn't be comfortable playing it after reading through this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/questions-remain-over-atomic-heart-developers-russian-origins

I read the Controversy segment on wikipedia after your previous post, but like I already gave MS my money so I just don't really see how it matters one way or the other if I install and play it or not. It's not like I read that and then decided whether to actually buy the game.

Jack Trades posted:

Okay but what about the sexy robot girls?

I was under the impression that they were the reason why people were buying that game and not because they were clamoring for more slavjank.

I suspect interest in the game is like 30-70 on "sexy robot ladies" to "maybe this game will be like Bioshock except if Bioshock had good combat"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the upgrade station wants to gently caress you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm getting chernobylite vibes, not in terms of the setting but in terms of an aggro MC, jank and bugs, and pointlessly open areas

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

You want details about how the Russian game was made by Russians? I don’t know what to tell you bud

It didn't seem too bad to me this morning before I looked up the additional info.

The core / founding team from Russia moved to Cyprus at some point, the development team is split across several countries, and one notable contributor (Mick Gordon) donated his pay from the game to a Ukrainian charity. That's more or less what I knew before today.

I didn't realize their funding was still very Russian, and that Mundfish was cagey in replying to any direct questions on this stuff.

I'm also surprised to see the critic reviews so high for this game when we're seeing other people posting how buggy and janky it is here. I'm wondering if the reviewers were sent builds with more bug fixes or something?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
For some reviewers, the atmosphere and setting is enough to overcome the bad voice acting and the bugs. For others, it is not enough. It's that simple.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i've been playing tactical nexus for two days and what the hell is this

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^I mean games journalism has always been a joke.

The one review I just watched basically pointed out the lack of technical features / settings and a poorly fleshed out world as his reasons for not recommending the game.

But again I already slipped Microsoft :10bux: last week so I'll find out how it runs on a 3070 and an i9 10850 soon enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

I didn't realize their funding was still very Russian, and that Mundfish was cagey in replying to any direct questions on this stuff.
probably because no one on the dev team wants to be jailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chainclaw posted:

I'm also surprised to see the critic reviews so high for this game when we're seeing other people posting how buggy and janky it is here. I'm wondering if the reviewers were sent builds with more bug fixes or something?

For a certain type of gamer Immsims/Bioshocklikes are like catnip where they add an automatic 10 points if a can of coke comes out of the vending machine when you kick it.