Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

some people are convinced that they made dehya bad on purpose because she has dark skin. ive seen multiple people saying that the chinese government forced them to make her bad because of that even because redditors are extremely normal about the chinese government

well it's true that dark skin is a contributor to her being much less popular in their home market of CN (where consumers are often really colorist)
as to how much that feeds into balance decisions, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well it's true that dark skin is a contributor to her being much less popular in their home market of CN (where consumers are often really colorist)
as to how much that feeds into balance decisions, idk

Was her popularity a strictly Western thing?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I can't find much hard data on Dehya actually. There is a character popularity poll posted on reddit from just last month -- but this one only has playable characters so no Dehya. Beidou and Xinyan are two of the bottom three, which tracks with the CN playerbase disliking strong and/or darker-skinned women. (Dead last is Aloy)

There's also this popularity poll from Mihoyo's official forums in CN about 6 months ago where only about 4% of CN players voted for Dehya as their favorite among the Sumeru cast.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can't find much hard data on Dehya actually. There is a character popularity poll posted on reddit from just last month -- but this one only has playable characters so no Dehya. Beidou and Xinyan are two of the bottom three, which tracks with the CN playerbase disliking strong and/or darker-skinned women. (Dead last is Aloy)

There's also this popularity poll from Mihoyo's official forums in CN about 6 months ago where only about 4% of CN players voted for Dehya as their favorite among the Sumeru cast.

Admittedly, I'm also voting Nahida in that second poll there. I like dehya and would rank her above Nilou and Tighnari but definitely not my fave

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nihou is way more popular than I would have expected

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Garrand posted:

Admittedly, I'm also voting Nahida in that second poll there. I like dehya and would rank her above Nilou and Tighnari but definitely not my fave
Yeah, a first-past-the-post poll doesn't really tell you anything. You'd have to get people to rate every character individually and compare the distribution. Never mind that the people who read the official forum won't be a representative sample of the playerbase.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Nihou is way more popular than I would have expected
She's a polite and kind waifu-type who dances around in what's practically a harem outfit. It's not that surprising. :geno:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
only a small fraction of the posters in this thread theorize about which characters are wearing diapers and how it must feel and smell

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

im gonna assume Yanfei needs more than C2 to be a main dps

it's a shame, I have a lot of fun playing as her (more than any other pyro), but she has small problems that really annoy me. like needing to touch a dude to actually hit with her Q

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i forgot nilou was even in the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's been 2 patches since we've seen anyone from sumeru except Al Haithem, memory retention is a hassle

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yanfei doesn't really need more constellations to be a better main DPS damage wise, she just doesn't match up to the output of most 5 star characters in the first place. But with Xingqiu or Yelan allowing her to constantly vape her bigger attacks she does enough damage for most content anyway. A shield helps so she doesn't constantly get bounced around though since she animation locks herself a lot and dash canceling eats precious stamina away from her charged attack even with the discounts she gets from her kit.

Her ranged attacks feel way more smooth compared to Ningguang or Klee, and her homing on her fireballs is way better than Yoimiya's so she definitely feels like one of the best ranged characters in the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nilou's story quest was one of the most forgettable I've seen in the game. I was super excited for her off her design, but her character, voice actress, and that quest totally killed any momentum I had for getting her to the point I skipped her. I think it worked out fine for me since now when she reruns I will have a better of her teams and what characters fit her, though given Shenyaka is here and hopefully Eula is just late, I will have 0 primos for her.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

im gonna assume Yanfei needs more than C2 to be a main dps

it's a shame, I have a lot of fun playing as her (more than any other pyro), but she has small problems that really annoy me. like needing to touch a dude to actually hit with her Q

Her burst is more about giving you a shield and making another seal thingie. If you can hit something with it, or are getting mobbed that's just a bonus. Admittedly, the shield is a constellation, but you've already got the stamina reduction, and the extra seal at c6 is just a nice thing, it's not really a must-have. She's still a mage, do the sensible thing and stay away from things trying to stove her face in.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
We talking about Nilou?
https://twitter.com/narisawr/status/1627522741757968385?t=cACm9_WPF9ZmYUhbrKiUIw&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AweStriker posted:

There can be more than one crazy reaction. They’re all terrible.

It's this.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I was using Yanfei with XQ/Yelan and while it works fine, I'm finding it more effective to just ditch the concept of including a character made to be on-field DPS and swapping her out for Xiangling. Your normals are worthless but you get Xiangling's ridiculous burst, and it's less finicky than Yanfei's mechanics.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Quitting gacha games is actually the healthiest reaction of all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

on the jp art sharing site pixiv deyha has 1,100 pieces of fanart compared to nilou's 4,400 or tighnari's 2,302.

certainly dehya's lack of popularity probably led to them feeling willing to experiment with her, but i dont think theyd make a character completely terrible on purpose because she isn't popular or anything. how does that make them money? a character like cyno whos decent but not amazing is probably the ideal for characters like that, since it means their dedicated fans will pull for them and get to feel unique about it while the wider playerbase can just pass on them without worrying.

dehya's just a failed experiment in a game that has to add a character or two every month and hates the idea of direct buffs/fixes.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
she's still gonna be my new main

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

on the jp art sharing site pixiv deyha has 1,100 pieces of fanart compared to nilou's 4,400 or tighnari's 2,302.

certainly dehya's lack of popularity probably led to them feeling willing to experiment with her, but i dont think theyd make a character completely terrible on purpose because she isn't popular or anything. how does that make them money? a character like cyno whos decent but not amazing is probably the ideal for characters like that, since it means their dedicated fans will pull for them and get to feel unique about it while the wider playerbase can just pass on them without worrying.

dehya's just a failed experiment in a game that has to add a character or two every month and hates the idea of direct buffs/fixes.
If anything, they'd be encouraged to push an unpopular character's power level higher to try to make up for it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The easy counter to Mihoyo gimping Dehya to be racist is "then why would they make her cool/badass?" in the archon quests. If they were really racist/bigoted towards dark skinned characters then they'd have given her mainly negative stereotyped traits if she even existed at all. [spoler]Instead of being loyal and tsundere towards Dunyarzad she'd be sneaky and resentful and just looking to get paid regardless of what happened to her, instead of being willing to sacrifice an arm to prove herself to the Eremites she'd betray the party to them instead, instead of being generally open to the idea of Nahida she'd be another Deshret resurrection fanatic probably etc.[/spoiler] They clearly want the player base to get attached to her like all the other characters via the story depiction and not think negatively of her or necessarily the Eremites as a whole and it worked. The whole Mihoyo is racist again thing is just people being dumb and trying to pile controversy on top of controversy because it's what some people live for on Twitter/Reddit.

Dumb ideas are also able to exist and spread on the internet due to not enough people being willing to question the logic to them and/or it just not mattering to enough people in hobby/gaming circles anymore versus the next chance to shitpost again.

Radical posted:

i forgot nilou was even in the game

For some reason I keep overlooking that she was a character too, possibly because I haven't spent much time in Sumeru in the last few months when I was catching up on older content or because she's one of the few characters I've skipped getting recently and then I'm reminded of her via the story quest menu or seeing some random cosplay picture. I don't get the sense she has a super huge amount of relevance in the story beyond the 1st couple chapters of the Sumeru Archon quest and her own story quest since she's just a random dancer girl that doesn't really know anything about what's actually going on and just super loves the Lesser Lord Kusanali and wants to put on a dance festival for her birthday, which makes her an easy mark for the Akademiya's plans.

e: Of course the easy online counter to any devil's advocate or attempt to provide an alternate or counter take now is that it's "Copium" so generally you're fighting an uphill battle against shitposters nowadays anyway. They've always got some way to ensure that any attempts at discussion or generation of ideas gets stuffed.

Kale fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 20, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I've been noticing a lot of guides putting Dionna on teams as the healer/shielder. I'm currently running Ganyu and planning on moving onto Hu Tao soon and most "SS" team builds have Diona as the healer/shielder but I never could use her reliably/comfortably because I'm just so used to using Zhongli's shielding

Is the only reason guides recommend her so much because nobody expects you to have a bunch of 5 star characters or because having her as a battery for Ganyu or a melt reaction for Hu Tao just that much more important

I don't think it would take a lot of convincing to tear me away from Zhongli on my next team, I use him when traveling and I'm sick of hearing all his essays on wine and boats

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any idea why they added Dehya to the standard banner? Besides tinfoil conspiracy theories? You would think they would add a Geo before another pyro claymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Diona can trigger the cryo resonance and be a battery if you need it but in most teams zhongli is just going to be better.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any idea why they added Dehya to the standard banner? Besides tinfoil conspiracy theories? You would think they would add a Geo before another pyro claymore.

Im going to guess that theres going to be a round of additional standard banner 5 stars because the game has been going on now for a while and there has to be something added to the pity thats not the initial base characters + tigh.

Also increasing the standard pool will probably eventually lead to them offering stuff to pick one of the 5* from it which they can monetize.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 20, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

I've been noticing a lot of guides putting Dionna on teams as the healer/shielder. I'm currently running Ganyu and planning on moving onto Hu Tao soon and most "SS" team builds have Diona as the healer/shielder but I never could use her reliably/comfortably because I'm just so used to using Zhongli's shielding

Is the only reason guides recommend her so much because nobody expects you to have a bunch of 5 star characters or because having her as a battery for Ganyu or a melt reaction for Hu Tao just that much more important

I don't think it would take a lot of convincing to tear me away from Zhongli on my next team, I use him when traveling and I'm sick of hearing all his essays on wine and boats
cyro res for ganyu, battery, she both heals and shields, the insane em boost her c6 gives, the stamina consumption reduction for characters affected by her shield is very useful for hu tao and other charge attack based characters

zhongli is a better shielder but diona has a lot of advantages

but you also have to consider a lot of those guides are written with abyss in mind (since its the most difficult content) and another advantage diona has is the fact that she frees up zhongli for the other team

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also increasing the standard pool will probably eventually lead to them offering stuff to pick one of the 5* from it which they can monetize.

it's this. they'll offer the first one "for free" after wishing X times on the standard banner, but after that they'll add selectors to the genesis crystal shop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also expanding the standard pool helps for the simple fact that for the turbowhales they make most of their money off of, they probably already have everyone except maybe tighnari at c6. since 5*s you already have at c6 give more starglitter (and thus more free rolls), diluting the standard pool slightly means those players have to spend slightly more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd totally buy a selector to pull a Mona or the geo cat girl if she ends up in there. So I hope mihoyo appeals to us dolphins.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It is weird that Dehya's coming to the standard banner before a Geo unit, so it's interesting to consider whether she was always meant to be on the standard banner, or if this was a change of plans.

Maybe the 5-stars for 3.0-3.6 had already been finalized before they decided on a timeline for introducing a selector or how many options they wanted to have first, and it turned out someone had to give and she drew the short straw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think they just dont care about element/unit balance in the way people want to think they do, and the fact that dehya is 'another pyro claymore' never really entered their minds

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It could also be a conscious decision on banner bloat. As more premium 5* come out there are just more and more banners for them. Even if they keep adding additional banners per phase the length of time on some of the re-runs is getting insane.

Its probably a collection of reasons people at Mihoyo have had to sit through in terrible teams meetings for hours to iron out and not just one single thing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think they just dont care about element/unit balance in the way people want to think they do, and the fact that dehya is 'another pyro claymore' never really entered their minds
Weapons definitely not, but they do seem to care about elements at least a little bit, given that they made sure to put a Dendro unit on there as soon as possible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean that was the case because dendro was brand new and they wanted to push it a bit, i doubt they care about giving you a geo 5* when you get noelle and traveler for free and its been in the game since launch

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sure. It's obviously not a high priority. But I'll be pretty astonished if we wind up with a third Pyro on there before a Geo.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I want to say the new geo character will go on standard because it makes a lot of sense but them doing so many in a row would probably be bad for profits?

Endorph posted:

rip

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ayaka and shenhe shouldve been 3.4

Why are 0 moonstadt on the moonstadt patch

Baizou somehow not ready after two years probably hosed everything up

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Element balance is cool and all but I hope whatever new geo 5 star is released next (mystery catgirl?) DOESN'T go directly to standard. I don't like the "buff the onfield main dps" playstyle and the last geo that wasn't made with it in mind was... Albedo? 2 years ago? I don't trust a direct-to-standard character to be cool enough to pull off anything interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

Element balance is cool and all but I hope whatever new geo 5 star is released next (mystery catgirl?) DOESN'T go directly to standard. I don't like the "buff the onfield main dps" playstyle and the last geo that wasn't made with it in mind was... Albedo? 2 years ago? I don't trust a direct-to-standard character to be cool enough to pull off anything interesting.
They seem to have run into some design space issues with Geo, since its reaction doesn't do anything and a character who focused on it would compete directly with Zhongli.