Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

That lemon pith, drat she thicc.

Right? I had to cut some of it off to fit in my citrus press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Vieux Carre:

.75 oz Whistlepig 10 year single barrel rye
.75 oz Hennessy Cognac
.75 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura
3 dashes Peychauds
In an old fashioned glass over a big cube, lemon peel expressed on top

I really need some Nick and Nora glasses, but presentation doesn’t matter too much if you’re drinking at home. Great drink, probably at the top of my New Orleans cocktail list, close second to the Sazerac.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Singani 63 is the top of my list for poo poo that has no right to be as delicious as it is. It looks unassuming, but packs a great flavor punch. That cocktail sounds just fantastic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd never heard of it before yesterday but now I'm on a mission

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So my in-laws are having their 50th anniversary party next week, and the drinks menu does not include g&ts despite them being my FIL's favorite drink. Short of sneaking in a lemon, few nips of gin and a liter of fever tree, has anybody tried any of the canned pre-made g&ts?

I got the Tanqueray ones today and they taste artificial as hell. Like they used meh quality tonic water and also artificial lemon flavoring.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Storm King, but I don’t have any blended scotch so single malt it is:

1.5 oz Abelour A’bunadh batch 41 (59% abv)
.5 oz Skip Rock Distillers Nocino
.25 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura
A little bit of Luxardo cherry syrup because this thing calls for three cherries on a skewer as a garnish

loving delicious. The Abelour is a sherry cask, cask strength, single malt Speyside scotch. Sweet and strong. The only thing keeping me from using it all the time in this cocktail is the fact that the price has skyrocketed in the last 10 years to $100 a bottle.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So my in-laws are having their 50th anniversary party next week, and the drinks menu does not include g&ts despite them being my FIL's favorite drink. Short of sneaking in a lemon, few nips of gin and a liter of fever tree, has anybody tried any of the canned pre-made g&ts?

I got the Tanqueray ones today and they taste artificial as hell. Like they used meh quality tonic water and also artificial lemon flavoring.

Maybe check with the venue? A gin and tonic is an extremely basic and popular drink, most bars should be able to make one by request even if if’s off menu. Maybe you can bring them a bottle of tonic for the night if needed.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Or they will just make it with Sprite out of the soda gun and assume you don’t know any better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe check with the venue? A gin and tonic is an extremely basic and popular drink, most bars should be able to make one by request even if if’s off menu. Maybe you can bring them a bottle of tonic for the night if needed.

tonedef131 posted:

Or they will just make it with Sprite out of the soda gun and assume you don’t know any better.

they won't have any booze we didn't bring for them to serve. In-laws aren't heavy drinkers at all and idgaf about the rest of the extended family, lol

I've got no problem bringing my own stuff and just putting one together on the spot, I just figured (stupidly I guess) that it'd be possible to get a pre-canned g&t that was just gin and tonic with no extra crud in it

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

tonedef131 posted:

Yeah any event hall sort of bar is gonna give you sprite or soda water instead of tonic.

I’d just bring a bottle of gin and a liter of tonic and tell the bartender to only serve it to your father in law.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 19, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

Lmao what

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've worked with tons of banquets types of all levels and I have never, ever heard of someone "just pouring sprite instead of tonic" lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah i dunno about that

i honestly have no clue what the setup is, just that we bought the booze and there's only 1 cocktail, then beer and wine, so :shrug:

like i said, i'll probably just grab a fifth of tanqueray and a liter of tonic, and maybe a lemon and my pocketknife and DIY, I just thought it'd be funny to be able to just pull a can out of my back pocket and toss it to him

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah any event hall sort of bar is gonna give you sprite or soda water instead of tonic.

I am quoting these two posts as two of the dumbest posts ever made in this thread

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I made some cinnamon syrup this weekend to make an alligator from this video. Super good stuff. I'm definitely making it again, so I put it in Mixel. Link here: http://links.mixelcocktails.com/5bfB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyygkgZgWyA&t=568s

I also bought a bottle of italicus because I always thought the bottle looked cool and I saw a good looking cocktail recipe the other week that uses it. The bottle looks great, but I completely forgot what the cocktail was. Any good drinks with italicus out there?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

I am quoting these two posts as two of the dumbest posts ever made in this thread
I agree it’s dumb but I’ve seen it dozens of times at club bars and event centers. Maybe it’s regional, but I kind of assumed it was a globally lazy occurrence.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
My place has tonic on tap that comes out of the gun right next to the Coke and root beer, seems dumb not to just have it.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol, preserved

What does Q button do!?!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Presumably there is regional variation in how common a drink the G&T is as well. I’ve never encountered a place that serves spirits and wasn’t able to make a G&T correctly in here in Australia.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

tonedef131 posted:

I agree it’s dumb but I’ve seen it dozens of times at club bars and event centers. Maybe it’s regional, but I kind of assumed it was a globally lazy occurrence.

Yeah in my experience any place around here that isn't a cocktail focused bar doesn't give half a gently caress anything involving hard liquor. It's probably more that they're working with what they have rather than laziness but still.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah in my experience any place around here that isn't a cocktail focused bar doesn't give half a gently caress anything involving hard liquor. It's probably more that they're working with what they have rather than laziness but still.

tonedef131 posted:

i refuse to believe these posts are real. Why on earth would a bar need to be "cocktail focused" to be able to make a gin and tonic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don’t even think of something like a gin and tonic as a cocktail. It’s just a standard drink. Every licenced restaurant or venue ought to be able to handle ‘spirit plus standard common mixer’ just like they can pour you a beer or a glass of wine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t even think of something like a gin and tonic as a cocktail. It’s just a standard drink. Every licenced restaurant or venue ought to be able to handle ‘spirit plus standard common mixer’ just like they can pour you a beer or a glass of wine.

oh they got wine at your fancy city bar huh?! :v:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

oh they got wine at your fancy city bar huh?! :v:

We got both kinds, white and white zinfandel

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone in Colorado and able to get Leopold Bros Rocky Mountain Blackberry Liqueur? And able to ship to California? I keep finding places online that "have" it until it turns out they don't. It seems the CO stores do have it but don't ship to CA.

Also, anyone tried Hamilton White Stache and what sort of drink would you put it in?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight i wanted to finish a bottle of sweet vermouth so I made a super sized Bijou:

2 oz Plymouth Naval Strength Gin (57% abv)
1.5 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Green Chartreuse

Served in a chilled martini glass with a Luxardo cherry garnish and the saddest lemon peel expressed over top.

A good cocktail!

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone in Colorado and able to get Leopold Bros Rocky Mountain Blackberry Liqueur? And able to ship to California? I keep finding places online that "have" it until it turns out they don't. It seems the CO stores do have it but don't ship to CA.

Also, anyone tried Hamilton White Stache and what sort of drink would you put it in?

Yeah i got you on the Leopold bros. Broke af right now so PM and we can figure that part out. And yes, we used to stock white stache at our spot for a while as our step above well rum then started blending our own house rum. It makes a good daiquiri. Good between the sheets too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Justa Dandelion posted:

Yeah i got you on the Leopold bros. Broke af right now so PM and we can figure that part out. And yes, we used to stock white stache at our spot for a while as our step above well rum then started blending our own house rum. It makes a good daiquiri. Good between the sheets too.

Thanks. I actually finally found a bottle. I do appreciate it, though. I think it took 4 orders to get it. Even Leopold Bros themselves haven't gotten back to my emails or calls. I can see why the stuff is hard to find with a business run like that.

E: to their credit, they did finally get back to me today. It turns out they have stopped shipping outside of CO due to limited resources to actually produce bottles. This combined with CO locations refusing to ship to CA is why the stuff is gone everywhere.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 24, 2023

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Glad to hear it! Btw if you see a bottle of their Three Pins alpine liqueur you need to try it. Afaik they don't make it anymore but it's a super interesting and tangy alpine liqueur with lots of balsam going on. Makes a badass Doctor cocktail.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Trying to finish up some blanc vermouth so I made a play on a Presidente.

White Rum (W&N overproof and plantation 3 stars)
Equal part Blanc Vermouth (Carpano Bianco)
Splash of dark rum (my mai tai blend that is biggest part Coruba)
Passion Fruit syrup
Little bit of lime juice (super)
Lof of Peychauds bitters, maybe 6 dashes

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I think my Ginger Syrup is about to ferment, but it's still good enough to drink. I also have a ton of mint from my spring herb garden. Just, so much mint.

Any good cocktail with both ingredients in it?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Any good cocktail with both ingredients in it?
There are plenty of them that feature ginger and would benefit from a mint garnish. Q. B. Cooler comes to kind for sure.

One that actually features both prominently, but is a bit labor intensive is the Manta Ray. I don’t do them often but really love them and they get rave reviews when I do.

¾ oz Barbancourt 8 Year
¾ oz dry gin
½ oz lime juice
1 tsp ginger syrup
1 tsp honey syrup (3:1)
¼ oz peach liqueur
¾ oz Slowly Shirley Coconut Mix
2 dashes Angostura bitters
4 mint leaves

Muddle mint leaves on bottom of rocks glass. Flash blend remaining ingredients with one cup (8 oz) crushed ice for no more than 3 to 5 seconds (or just whip shake). Pour into glass over the muddled mint. Fill with crushed ice. Garnish with grated cinnamon, a cinnamon stick and a lime twist.

The slowly Shirley is 50/50 coconut milk/coco Lopez. Seems silly to make just for this drink but I actually prefer this to straight Lopez in everything so just juice a pineapple and go pina colada crazy for the weekend!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
you know I actually have everything to make that, but it does seem kind of labor intensive.

Nice lead on the QB Cooler. I don't have any falernum but I have everything else to make that, I think I'll make something work with that.

EDIT: Well QB Cooler utterly flattened my balls. In place of the falernum I threw in some cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and upped the ginger syrup. Thank you for the recommend, that's going in my rotation.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 3, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey, you can add a little splash of vodka to your syrup to stop fermentation. Doesn't take much, maybe an ounce per quart. You can use any other spirit, too, vodka is just the flavor-neutral option.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the difference between cognac and brandy?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the difference between cognac and brandy?

Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of France. All cognac is brandy but not all brandy is cognac. Certain production methods are required to qualify as cognac as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

my kinda ape posted:

Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of France. All cognac is brandy but not all brandy is cognac. Certain production methods are required to qualify as cognac as well.

I've been using Hennesy whenever I need cognac/brandy. Are there situations where I'd need a different bottle?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

And has to use certain grapes, be distilled a certain way, and aged in a certain type of barrels. While brandy is simply distilled wine with a base that could be grapes, could be other fruit.

Hennessy is one of the top four cognacs in the world, so anything that calls for brandy or cognac will work with Hennessy. Unless the recipe specifically calls for Apple brandy or some other type of specific brandy that isn’t grape based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a squatish 6 ounce bottle for storing syrups? My drink fridge is one of the under counter ones so vertical space is at a premium. I've been using small mason jars but they're impossible to pour out of without making a mess.