Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i dunno about support. if im feeling like nobody is dealing with bastion i feel like my only option is ana. dps i mostly just pick genji and flank him and deflect the second he notices me and turns around. hanzo works pretty well too. tank has a few good options but i dont think its any easier than for a dps to deal with

Bap is pretty good for confirming kills.
Consistent shots and you can use the corner lamp to face tank bast and just shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Most of Bastion's DPS is in his turret form, so you play against him the same way you play against anyone reliant on a long cooldown: stick to corners, bait it out, focus him when he's on cooldown. Most of the roster can play around him as long as you maintain awareness because he has limited mobility. Good counter picks have range to poke him from safety, an escape when baiting the transform, or mobility to dive him as soon as it ends. Shooting him in turret form can be risky because he gets passive damage mitigation, but a Discord orb can make him melt like anything else.

If your teammates aren't respecting the Bastion and getting deleted for standing out in the open, there's not a whole lot you can do about that because they're being idiots. You'll probably want to pick flankers with escape tools to bait the transform away from your team as much as possible in that situation.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I really think it's tank and support's job to neutralise Bastion, and the DPS to capitalise on it.

Bastion is designed as a tank buster, tanks don't want to be standing in front of him any more than the damages. Yes, tanks can burn cooldowns to survive but it's better to just not have to when they have Bastion's teammates to deal with at the same time. The counter play is to use cover because he has no way of following up on you when you do that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The only tank that's actually good against bastion is sigma and you have to save his suck cooldown and not get it interrupted by anyone else.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The only tank that's actually good against bastion is sigma and you have to save his suck cooldown and not get it interrupted by anyone else.

Rocks are good too.

isndl posted:

Bastion is designed as a tank buster, tanks don't want to be standing in front of him any more than the damages. Yes, tanks can burn cooldowns to survive but it's better to just not have to when they have Bastion's teammates to deal with at the same time. The counter play is to use cover because he has no way of following up on you when you do that.

The tank should be playing around cover anyway, and should be timing those cooldowns not to survive but to negate the turret form so the DPS can pressure them from off angles pretty much like you said. Anyone can do it but tanks have the ability to soak a bit more of his aggro.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh wait hog is good for bastion too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Rocks are good too.

The tank should be playing around cover anyway, and should be timing those cooldowns not to survive but to negate the turret form so the DPS can pressure them from off angles pretty much like you said. Anyone can do it but tanks have the ability to soak a bit more of his aggro.

Rock is pretty bad when Bastion is in turret form because that's a full second of eating his bullets, and not in the succ way. :shrug:

I am confused by what you mean when you say the tank and supports should 'neutralise Bastion', then - if you're not expecting the tank to try and dive him during turret form, what are you doing different from normal play? You're soaking aggro whether it's a Bastion or a Sojourn.

That does bring up the topic of dive tanks like Ball and Doom against Bastion though, which is a complicated scenario that doesn't seem to have any right answers. Seems like it comes down to how good the tank is, because either they get picks or the Bastion gets to roll forward for free.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't have much trouble with Bastion as Orisa, as long as my dps is smart enough to shoot while I'm spinning/spearing him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

isndl posted:

I am confused by what you mean when you say the tank and supports should 'neutralise Bastion', then - if you're not expecting the tank to try and dive him during turret form, what are you doing different from normal play? You're soaking aggro whether it's a Bastion or a Sojourn.

I mean yes, you're right. That's the job of a tank, to draw his aggro in a survivable way so the DPS can focus him down. I think what differs in terms of Bastion is that he gets most of his value when when he's in turret form so as a tank you should be looking out for it, and be proactive when you see him shift forms in an attempt to kill anyone that isn't you. Hit him with a rock or a javelin, draw some aggro, then use whatever self sustain ability you have to waste more of his turret time. The goal is to make him change back without having achieved anything.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 20, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't know what it is, but every single match this season has been really fun. The rein mirror is back. With people playing mercy, you can actually shatter and anti people with ana. Matchmaking has put me in some tense matches that I feel like I need to step up to carry. Switching to DVA is great too. gently caress orisa.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Can someone explain to me how Zarya is supposed to work from a game design POV? Like, her bubbles have limited health, right? So you need to either choose to try to kill her through the bubble and feed her charge or ignore her while she is bubbled and not power her up?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Can someone explain to me how Zarya is supposed to work from a game design POV? Like, her bubbles have limited health, right? So you need to either choose to try to kill her through the bubble and feed her charge or ignore her while she is bubbled and not power her up?

Bubbles are 200hp, afaik.
You're correct about your assumption.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

IMO if she is below 1/3 health just shoot the bubbles. If you are reaper or bastion, maybe raise that to 60%. Also there can be times where her energy isn't going to get any higher or much higher. Might as well try to take her out.

Zarya is not very strong right now. I think I encountered one this season and they switched off after 1 death.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

:yeah:
Eventually you get a feel when the enemy Zarya is overextending and you can punish her.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

People in gold get too obsessed with ignoring Zarya making her bubbles better then they are. If you ignore her too much she will just bubble her dps while they murder you. She's quite weak if everyone just swings on her for 5 seconds.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I get what everyone was complaining about in the matchmaking now, in the past 2 seasons I've been doing the dailies and never had a problem getting the one win daily within 3 matches or so, on rare occasions 4. Today I had to go 8 casual matches just to get one win. What's going on?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Assepoester posted:

I get what everyone was complaining about in the matchmaking now, in the past 2 seasons I've been doing the dailies and never had a problem getting the one win daily within 3 matches or so, on rare occasions 4. Today I had to go 8 casual matches just to get one win. What's going on?

If you keep flipping a coin, sometimes it lands heads 8 times in a row

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

toadee posted:

If you keep flipping a coin, sometimes it lands heads 8 times in a row

7 losses in a row is a 0.7%. So yeah sometimes it happens but it's significantly more likely that it's not random coin flips.

Like a girl who notoriously phoned in her work in a class I had in college tried to argue that she actually flipped a coin heads like 7-10 times in a row and was told to gently caress off because it's more likely that OP is lying than that a coin flipped heads 7 times in a row.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Teleporting being the defenders and setting up a carwash on the point before the defenders even turn around feels good.
Especially when it successfully leads to a quick team wipe, because the defenders were sandwiched between a rock and a carwash.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MJBuddy posted:

7 losses in a row is a 0.7%. So yeah sometimes it happens but it's significantly more likely that it's not random coin flips.

Like a girl who notoriously phoned in her work in a class I had in college tried to argue that she actually flipped a coin heads like 7-10 times in a row and was told to gently caress off because it's more likely that OP is lying than that a coin flipped heads 7 times in a row.

Now work out the odds that if you flip 7 coins every day for three months, you get all heads at least once.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

headcase posted:

IMO if she is below 1/3 health just shoot the bubbles. If you are reaper or bastion, maybe raise that to 60%. Also there can be times where her energy isn't going to get any higher or much higher. Might as well try to take her out.

Zarya is not very strong right now. I think I encountered one this season and they switched off after 1 death.

I think Zarya is weirdly strong in my games (soloq masters, i'm not good enough to be in gm anymore, big sad) but i think 90% is knowing how the other tank is going to play from my 30 million hours playing this stupid game.

Also had a game last night where I was playing Ana and an enemy rein player asked me if I was a tank main because I was making it impossible for him to play. Feels good man.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Zarya is my 3rd tank choice if either Rein or Winston aren't working.
80% of my winning with her is getting away with overaggroing, because golds can't punish for poo poo.
rest of 20% is bubbling your DPS popping off or saving your supports.

Or so it feels. Probably real percentages are reversed.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 21, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I think Zarya is weirdly strong in my games (soloq masters, i'm not good enough to be in gm anymore, big sad) but i think 90% is knowing how the other tank is going to play from my 30 million hours playing this stupid game.

Also had a game last night where I was playing Ana and an enemy rein player asked me if I was a tank main because I was making it impossible for him to play. Feels good man.

I just really haven't encountered any. The one I did, I beat with DVA, which seems pretty damning.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That seems more on a part with the player, not the character

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What is up with this week? Last few matches had absolute piss-babies who complained about some role not playing the absolute optimally then proceeded to do nothing. All of a sudden the shitheads who waste time are coming out of the woodwork.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

players blaming and backseating their teammates is every week!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Sym change. Sym switch! Sym is throwing. GG"

We win, I have most kills and the POTG.
Every single time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah but you played sym so you lost the moral fight.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Symm is the best

https://i.imgur.com/G0S7xOO.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 21, 2023

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
That reminds me, my strongest held view of OW2 is that you shouldn't get POTG if you didn't win.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Does it matter? No one watches them. Everyone leaves the second the game results come up.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I watch my own. :unsmith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

eleven extra elephants posted:

That reminds me, my strongest held view of OW2 is that you shouldn't get POTG if you didn't win.

No way, sometimes someone on the losing team does something ridiculous and it's cool

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I almost always quit out of the game, I really don't give a care about the play of the game. It'd be easier if they just let you skip it and be on your way but for some reason Blizzard wants you to watch the billionth D.va kill three people with her ultimate or some poo poo no one cares about anymore.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jabor posted:

Now work out the odds that if you flip 7 coins every day for three months, you get all heads at least once.

Who cares? The point is what is more likely, not what is possible. Bayesian analysis vs frequentist.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i watch most potg's because at bronze they are just the worst

unless they're mine then its a real potg

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mei's ultimate reminded me of how much of a pain in the rear end that character use to be. Getting rid of the freeze on her normal attack was the best decision Blizzard has made in the last twenty years.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

My actual matchmaking guess is that they're a bit too rigid, so when you have good/bad days or experiment it's not moving you quickly enough to the appropriate skill, forcing people to hold on to their mains a bit too strongly and producing negative feedback whenever they try to deviate. Not a problem in comp imo but in QP.

But I don't know if that's actually true, just speculation.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that dumb bitch mei needs to be changed idk i hate that character so much

why the gently caress does she get so many get away free cards is beyond me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mei is really lovely right now. She needs a buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

She seems strong if you engage on her terms. A good mei will try and pick fights in small spaces, or retreat inside, don't chase her, you'll lose.