Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

"You tried to give an explanation, Naizen, but the other retainers were waging war."
It's a good metaphor. It explains a lot about what the old guard have been doing. Why did Kajiwara abandon Kanezawa so easily? It's because he was not pro-Kanezawa but because he was anti-Kubota and he saw an opportunity to decisively deny that outcome. Furthermore, he is only anti-Kubota because it was being advanced by the younger faction: his goal is not to choose a good site for the clan but to advance the influence of his faction within the clan by denying the goals of the rest of the clan.

Why are Kajiwara and the others doing this in defiance of the nominal head of the clan, who could literally order them to disembowel themselves on sufficient pretext? Because they are waging war. Because whether they know it or not, their minds are still stuck in the past, "a time when success on the battlefield meant that nothing was beyond your reach", a time when rules, oaths, morals all meant nothing if you could stab your neighbour and steal all his poo poo.

Edit:

vyelkin posted:

I haven't really been reading Sleepless Domain because right from the beginning I found the art enormously off-putting in a way I can't really put my finger on. It's not that it's bad and it's not that it's good, I can't really describe it but it feels weird and creepy, like a Bratz doll came to life and told me to strap in for a story about trauma.

Pretty much how I felt about chapter one's art, yeah. I feel a little guilty about bagging on it, but so it goes. For what it's worth, I quite like Cagle's art though, and I think it only gets better from here.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

I think, and this is what I did in my comic, is that you're wasting time if you kill someone off after the first 5 pages and before the first 40 pages imo, you either start with them dead or you kill them off once the emotional connection is built.

Sleepless Domain doesn't drop the axe until page 60ish I think.

The first two chapters don't serve any real narrative purpose, they're just about hanging out with fun characters and showing off rad boss monster designs (spoiler: this is true of most of the next 20 chapters too.) And I don't think there's anything "wrong" with this approach, but I don't think it works for the story Cagle seems to want to tell.

I think the thing the first two chapters get right is that if you're going to spend a lot of time just watching characters bounce off each other then you really need to have some big seismic moves going off to shake things up and keep up the pace rather than relying on stochastic motion to drive the plot. It doesn't really work for slow simmering mystery.

EDIT: I thought the art was pretty cute both before and after the switch :shobon: I'm surprised it's this divisive, I figured it was the main selling point (because it ain't the writing.)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The younger retainers I think are in need of the classic tactic to get someone stubborn and dismissive to agree to your idea- make them think it was their idea all along.

Sleepless Domain is clearly riffing on the infamous Madoka Magica early episodes there, I think, but the difference is (kinda unavoidable spoilers here btw) you get an entire episode to get to know the character who dies, they're set up among a bunch of potential protagonists with appropriate style and themes, and their death is a shocking twist on genre expectations, establishes the stakes at play and leaves an obvious absence for the rest of the show in the cast dynamics. Takes some effort to pull that off well.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the intro was just long enough to make you think you were getting a different kind of story. I'm interested to see where it goes and I'm glad the art stopped being so shiny. Everyone looked plastic.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The younger retainers I think are in need of the classic tactic to get someone stubborn and dismissive to agree to your idea- make them think it was their idea all along.

Ah, but that just enables their bullshit, doesn't it? Let's see what Naizen comes up with instead after a short little flashback.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like the magical girl who shoots paper dolls at things and talks in weird fantasy cockney.

these other comics should take a page from her book

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like the magical girl who shoots paper dolls at things and talks in weird fantasy cockney.

I think those pages are alive and might try to kill you?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, the Commander discusses the best movie

This time, Mr. Fish learns a new trick!
08/17/2010

Good Mr. Fish you look kinda fat.
08/23/2010

Upon watching the recent Prince of Persia movie and questioning their repeated use of a font that normally doesn’t see the light outside of high school Powerpoint presentations, I was informed by one of my coworkers that papyrus was in fact the official font of the Middle East and it was terribly racist of me to question their inherent right to apply it to everything.
08/30/2010

This week’s comic is inspired by and dedicated to my dad.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

:nws:

This concludes chapter six of book one of Dicebox. We are now 2/3 of the way through the prologue!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we're never going to see this tattoo

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The mashed potato and peas I get, but who serves their roast with whole stalks of raw celery?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's clearly brokułów.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'll admit, Bugs' reveal at the bar in Scoob and Shag got me chuckling.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's clearly brokułów.

I just spoiled the joke, didn't I.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That first panel Jon is hilariously lazy art.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Emzedoh posted:

I just spoiled the joke, didn't I.

well whoever translated it into english clearly did a sloppy job

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Pfft, next you'll tell me Phoenix Wright isn't set in LA.

(That was an excellent riposte, by the way)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why would I say an absurd thing like that? Phoenix Wright has always been set in LA. I even have a favorite comic illustrating that fact:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That reminds me, I had a hamburger for dinner tonight. The best part is the vinegared rice! The seaweed wrap is also nice.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Man i am really enjoying this "internal politics in samurai land"-comic. I hope it keeps being mostly words about farmland and infrastructure, and does not devolve into people fighting with swords or something.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

the holy poopacy posted:

Sleepless Domain doesn't drop the axe until page 60ish I think.

The first two chapters don't serve any real narrative purpose, they're just about hanging out with fun characters and showing off rad boss monster designs (spoiler: this is true of most of the next 20 chapters too.) And I don't think there's anything "wrong" with this approach, but I don't think it works for the story Cagle seems to want to tell.

I think the thing the first two chapters get right is that if you're going to spend a lot of time just watching characters bounce off each other then you really need to have some big seismic moves going off to shake things up and keep up the pace rather than relying on stochastic motion to drive the plot. It doesn't really work for slow simmering mystery.

EDIT: I thought the art was pretty cute both before and after the switch :shobon: I'm surprised it's this divisive, I figured it was the main selling point (because it ain't the writing.)
I like the writing myself. I kinda get the impression that a lot of people don't like stories that mesh day-to-day people-just-hanging-out type narratives with dark, traumatic mysteries because those elements often work against each other. Those stories always resonated for me, though, and I realize now that it's because that's kind of what my own adolescence was. An ordinary life doing, or trying to do, all the ordinary things other people around you are doing, while being extremely consciously aware of these sorts of invisible barriers everywhere between you and everyone else, further steeped in the knowledge that any day some fresh violence might shatter what little bits of a life you've carved out for yourself. I think it works for Sleepless Domain. Actually, I think it's the type of story that's especially suited for one where characters have super powers of some sort. Being able to exaggerate the threat and allow the protagonists to fight it in some flashy manner, even if they are firmly outmatched, makes it far more digestible. Contrast it with real life where things of that nature tend to end fairly anti-climatically. Uh, not to get too real here. I just think the comic was a fun read and the narrative structure worked for me

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Me too

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Last minute

quote:

“The Knights Belligerent have a single rule to their Sword Law and it is this – killing is the first instinct of man, before breathe, or even thought. Therefore everything a man does, every single detail of his day, from sleeping to eating, should be an argument with himself on the restraint of said instinct. Naturally, they don’t tend to get along with each other very well.”

– Ampater, merchant prince

Alt: Crown

quote:

“A beggar I passed in the market once remarked to me that if the gods’ brows were wreathed in starfire, their heads must get awfully hot,” said Lord Intra to his sparring partner.

“What a strange remark,” said his partner, “How does one respond to that?”

“I told him he was right,” said Intra.

– The Song of Maybe

Alt: The second to last page in the book!

quote:

Devastation

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: how did you jump down onto a helicopter?

No title pages or end pages on these last few chapters, just straight to the action.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

you got your homestuck in my gunshow

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

'Uncle Stumps' my arse, that's Phineas Freakears

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Unkempt posted:

I saw these guys papered onto a restaurant's counter but since I'm not really a weed culture guy and none of the people I was with were readers of a memory holed something awful webcomics thread I couldn't really explain why I thought this was neat.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
weird brag about going to bartending school

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mixology? No, none of that superstitious nonsense. I'm a mixonomist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Raastuvanoikeus = lower court; archaic term used of lower courts located in old cities in Sweden/Finland (Swed. Rådhusrätt)
Raastupa = archaic name for city courtrooms (from Swedish Rådhus; oddly enough Finnish also has the word Raatihuone from the same origin, with roughly the same meaning(?))
Raastua = to become grated
Raastuva = able to become grated
Raastuvanoikeus = court for those who can be grated

(Raati + huone = court + room; "raastupa" is probably the same although "raas" doesn't exist as a singular word afaik. "Tupa" means living room/area, or nowadays more commonly a small wooden hut.)

I assume it's a play on the older rådstuga (court-room) rather than rådhus (court-house)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Unkempt posted:

This is what KC Green had to say about that comic:

quote:

That is basically one of the fabulous furry freak brothers, which is an old underground comic. Never read any of it, but I've seen it at stores. I accidentally drew him there without knowledge I did til someone asked if it was that guy. I got embarrassed and forget what I said back to that person, but I was probably a poo poo head about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Man, KC is such a poo poo head.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I read all the Freak Brothers stuff when I was a lot younger (I like comics and I like weed, why wouldn't I) and while a lot of it is pretty bad I have fond memories of a good chunk of it. This one I posted back in the thread, for instance.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Plica has... ideas. One extra today since they're all short ones.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Erina, Joseph^3, and Smoker go to an Italian restaurant! Some disgusting goon starts talking about wanting to smell Smoker's pasta, then throws something at him! Joseph^3 gets pissed and wants to kick the guy's rear end, and Erina gives him her blessing!

Read right to left:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wanna take a moment to point out something about Joseph^3 for first time Joost readers--While Joost tended to meet his opponents and overcome his trials with sheer physical, mental, and moral might, Joseph^3 likes to play more tricksy games and get into his opponent's head.

In this current confrontation, the restaurant racist goes for his brass knuckles but can't find them, and Joseph^3 tells him they're in his back pants pocket and tells him how he knew. This throws the racist off guard, giving Joseph^3 an opening to hit him with his signature "Your next line is" move:

First, he predicts what the opponent will say ("Now you'll say 'How'd you know about my brass knuckles, you bastard?'")

Then the opponent says the thing:

Then the opponent freaks out, because Joseph^3 is fully in their head and they know they're already beaten:

You'll see this a number of times through part 2! So now you know what's happening whenever this plays out.

Joseph^3 has one other signature move that I'll point out when we get there, but that one's a lot more obvious.