Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Do you guys now of any mods or building tricks to cover unused holes in conveyer walls?

Type A: 2 beams cover the window like so

Type B: Using 2 frame floors to offset a block, you can place a beam support plate at the right height to cover the window

Most of the time I use A, it's quick and looks good from both sides. Kinda looks like it might be a rolled-down metal shutter or something.

B does a better job of making the hole invisible from a distance and looking like it's supposed to be that way. But on the reverse side it's less good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perfect, exactly what I was after, thanks

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Not standing anywhere near this uranium waste storage tower and I can still feel the radiation.

Haven't even started with plutonium waste yet.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Danger-smarties :O

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there an in-game way to see which alt. recipes you've unlocked?

VVVVV Yeah, I should've been more clear - like a list, you'd think there'd be a quick list you could look at without having to type out every component in a heavy frame factory

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 22, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

zoux posted:

Is there an in-game way to see which alt. recipes you've unlocked?

If you hit "N" and type in the name of an item it will show you the standard way of producing it along with whichever alts you've unlocked.

^^^
e: Closest thing is the main codex listing the items I think, don't know of anywhere in the UI that lists the recipes on their own. The Satisfactory Tools site lists them all in the production planner but you would still need to keep track yourself of whether or not you've unlocked them.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 22, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e: Closest thing is the main codex listing the items I think, don't know of anywhere in the UI that lists the recipes on their own. The Satisfactory Tools site lists them all in the production planner but you would still need to keep track yourself of whether or not you've unlocked them.
If you upload your map to the satisfactory calculator, you can see your recipe unlocks.

Doesn't help with the in-game lookup question though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ardlen posted:

If you upload your map to the satisfactory calculator, you can see your recipe unlocks.

Doesn't help with the in-game lookup question though.

That's what I've been doing but it's not laid out very conveniently. Actually what I've been doing the most is building one of each assembler and then looking in their recipe menus which, again, is not ideal

This game is pretty light on the stats/data stuff, I hope that's all planned to come in at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I havent been messing with blueprints at all because everything I'm building, I'm building for the first time and also I'd prefer to work out my own designs. I was trying to figure out how to put together a coal generator setup, assuming that it would be a piece-by-piece assembly of several 5x5 BPs. Since you can only fit a coal generator in there by putting it straight on the floor, I grabbed the most popular coal gen blueprint on SCIM to get some ideas on how these things are put together. When I went to place it it was a single blueprint of a huge rear end full factory, not sure of the dimensions but magnitudes beyond 5x5. So what's going on there?

e: oh also is train throughput reliable enough that I can use them to keep power plants fueled or should I only build plants within conveyor distance

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 25, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Could use containers as a buffer, to smooth out supply fluctuations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

zoux posted:

When I went to place it it was a single blueprint of a huge rear end full factory, not sure of the dimensions but magnitudes beyond 5x5. So what's going on there?
There are modded blueprint machines that are bigger than 5x5. You can use those blueprints without mods, but you cannot change them without the larger blueprint machine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

e: oh also is train throughput reliable enough that I can use them to keep power plants fueled or should I only build plants within conveyor distance

Trains are super-reliable, unless you do something that fucks them up. If you're just making a single track with a train that goes back and forth that should be never.

If you're making a full rail network you should expect to have lots of fuckups while learning how things like signals work.

Ardlen posted:

There are modded blueprint machines that are bigger than 5x5. You can use those blueprints without mods, but you cannot change them without the larger blueprint machine.

Also I think people have already figured out the BP format and can use out-of-game tools to do all sorts or weird poo poo. There was a post I saw on reddit with a hypertube cannon BP that was hacked to make a tube connect via teleportation.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

I havent been messing with blueprints at all because everything I'm building, I'm building for the first time and also I'd prefer to work out my own designs.

Blueprints in satisfactory don't at all remove - at least for me - the feeling of working out my own designs. They exist to standardize my designs to reduce clicks. My way of playing is still very click heavy, but blueprints massively reduce the amount of manual labor I have to put in.

Unless you're talking about using someone else's blueprints, in which case I feel you. But I highly recommend using the blueprint machine as much as possible.

zoux posted:

oh also is train throughput reliable enough that I can use them to keep power plants fueled or should I only build plants within conveyor distance

Make sure you are always emptying freight stations into a storage container as fast as your tech allows. If you don't then there is a chance that the 30 second unload time will cause a small blip of zero throughput. At the point in the game I'm at I always unload into an industrial container with 2 mk5 belts for max unload per station. The only way you'll run into a throughput problem with this is if your desired throughput starts encroaching on the maximum throughput of all your combined cars. i.e. 2 mk 5 belts is 1560 items/min maximum throughput per station (minus the 30 second unload time, which reduces it a little bit but I don't want to do the math). So let's say I have a project that needs 1500 copper ingots/min I would do more than 1 car.

This is sort of a bad example, because in the case you have a project requiring that much throughput you're probably already using a train with multiple cars full of copper ingots, but I'm just illustrating a point. As you approach max throughput, add more cars. Depending on the distance between the ingot source and ingot consumer, you might need more than one train.

These kind of problems are easily solved with a little trial and error though. Suffice to say that trains are extremely reliable and fixing throughput problems is fixed easily by 1. adding more cars per train and 2. adding more trains between stations. Just always unload at max rate into a buffer and you'll avoid most issues.

zoux posted:

or should I only build plants within conveyor distance

I would suggest as a matter of simplicity, building power plants near the fuel source. My massive fuel plant is right next to an oil field. It's one less thing to worry about. Let's say for a sec that you trip your grid and your rail network also goes down. It's potentially a catch 22 issue where you want to restart your power plant but the fuel delivery mechanism requires a not insignificant amount of power.

Still, that sounds like a project I would undertake just because I could, so have fun with it.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Blueprints in satisfactory don't at all remove - at least for me - the feeling of working out my own designs. They exist to standardize my designs to reduce clicks. My way of playing is still very click heavy, but blueprints massively reduce the amount of manual labor I have to put in.

Unless you're talking about using someone else's blueprints, in which case I feel you. But I highly recommend using the blueprint machine as much as possible.

Yeah, I'm gonna use blueprints, and I've got some for like pipe/rail carrying towers, but I don't know enough about how factories iterate to make like full on three level belted tilable factories, but I look forward to figuring it out. Coal generators though, pretty much unravelled all the mysteries there, and you can't fit a coal gen in the BP box unless you set it flat on the grid, so I was kind of at a loss on how to do it. I thought the thing was gonna be piecemeal so I could see how they jigsaw it together but it was the whole set up, sloping glass ceiling and all. I didn't end up using it

Anyway, good answers all, thank you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, it was a loving piece of mk1 pipe waaaaaay up the pipeline that was the problem, of course.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 26, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's always an incomplete upgrade somewhere.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lately I just delete and rebuild instead of upgrading in place. Too many 1” long sections of belt inside splitters or something loving up the entire flow.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

~1.19 Terawatt 250% overclocked ore drone/cyberwagon only nuclear plant is done.

This is easily the most insane thing I've ever built, though it had a clear progression of what needed to be done at each step becoming more and more complicated as it went on. All buildings are overclocked to 250%, all materials needing 1 stack/min or less are transported by cyberwagon, all ores are transported by drone. At this point I have 241 drone ports in my world and had to build two separate battery factories to keep them going, totaling ~750 batteries/min. They can be seen flying around the world at all times and circle around large factories in holding patterns like flies. The cyberwagons are all running on stacks of 50 Plutonium Rods which will last them about 100 hours. I deleted almost all the path nodes on the ground so they mostly fly through the air like lovely drones, if I get near they have physics applied and will drop out of the sky.

A lot has to be done before I can actually get to the Plutonium stuff. Sub-factories are the first step, 448 Aluminum Casings/min is relatively simple.

22.4 Pressure Conversion Cubes/min is the opposite of simple and has to be broken down into three stages on its own. First is the Crystal Oscillator factory which is making enough to supply both Uranium and Plutonium stages of production.

Things get a bit more difficult when those are sent to the Radio Control Unit factory.

The project gets even more complicated when the RCUs are sent to the Fused Modular Frame factory for final assembly into PCCs.

Finally, the PCCs are sent to the Plutonium Rod factory on the northern cliff of the Dune Desert. Already had the Uranium Waste coming in from the first stage of the nuclear plant, 22.4 is the maximum amount possible for Plutonium Rod production. This factory alone has 48 drone ports (there's another one on the back outputting the final Plutonium Rods as cyberwagon fuel).

Could have made a bridge and transported water to the factory by pipe but I wanted to go full stupid, so instead drones are filled with packaged water, fly it up to the factory for unpackaging, then separate ports fly the empty containers back for refilling. The factory is using Wet Concrete to get rid of waste water instead of trying to balance it all so it actually needs 2016 water instead of the 1008 shown in the chart.

The same is happening for nitrogen, it doesn't take any from the pressurized well directly underneath it. 3000 from here, another 1200 from the well northeast of the blue crater.

With that done only thing left was to build the Plutonium half of the nuclear plant, set up the deliver route and turn it on. This is the load balancer chart showing the Uranium stage on the left and Plutonium stage on the right. Both are burning slightly under what's being supplied, 100 reactors on the Uranium side and 88 on the Plutonium side.

Taking that chart and making putting it into practice:

Plant map:

Plant radiation signature:

World Map:

World radiation signature:

In-game world map:

The Plutonium half of the plant will become more radioactive than the Uranium half once it fills up to the same extent and the load balancer and reactors are more saturated. At this point I'm producing as much Plutonium Waste as the game allows and I have a few ideas of things to do with it. Frame rate is good enough that I can probably start working on automating the final elevator parts, I think I have sufficient power now.

Here's the save file for anyone who wants to load it up and see everything going in action:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj2270q9x35rr6m/NESG_270223-013427.sav?dl=0

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm finishing off my milestones and I have a huge jumble of a base that is trickling products into containers that are widely spread out. It's in the dune desert and it just kind of grew where I could fit stuff, and I feel like I'm at an inflection point in the game. I'm kind of at a loss whether to retrofit my existing stuff, which will honestly become a complete teardown and rebuild. I could build a better main all-products-producing base nearby just to have it better organized so I'm not flying all across the map to collect 50 motors here and 50 heavy frames there. But since I have access to mk5 belts, mk3 miners, trains, drones, etc. I could also probably start an endgame build, whether mega or modular, but that would mean scouting a new base running all new lines, etc. When you guys get to the point in game where you're looking to move from the series of factories you built to give you enough product to progress along milestones and into endgame builds, what do you like to do and how do you like to start?

I'm probably going to go modular, with different factories across the map making different kinds of goods and then shipping them centrally - probably need a bit more experience before a mega base. Do you guys like to start at ore or ingots in your factories? I can't find an aesthetic solution I really like for the smoke belching machines, I don't like them inside and I don't like to put them outside either, my thought was to set up a huge refining area for ore and shipping ingots via rail around the map, is that a workable idea?

Different question: when you are building a new big base, how far above the ground level do you set your first floor?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

zoux posted:

Different question: when you are building a new big base, how far above the ground level do you set your first floor?

Never far enough.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just keep building on top of the old stuff (often literally)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Anyone else use a map editor not to import structures but to delete all the crates your own dumb rear end made while upgrading the belts in your factory?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes I hate those loving crates. THanks for preserving the 3 copper ore for me. What's dope about Area Actions is it lets you delete massive areas and then asks you if you want to get all the bullshit back. No thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry for the double post but does anyone know if there's a clearinghouse for Satisfactory saves? I'd like to look at some late game maps from other users (yes this is an open invitation to post your own)

ps. thanks NESG

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Sorry for the double post but does anyone know if there's a clearinghouse for Satisfactory saves? I'd like to look at some late game maps from other users (yes this is an open invitation to post your own)

ps. thanks NESG

Closest thing I know of is the Megaprints section of SCIM:

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/megaprints

Those generally aren't full save files but you can download complete factories and paste them into your own world to look around. The world-spanning projects there are mostly utility things like a massive rail network so players don't have to build their own.

Fluxo is one of the most impressive builders and also makes his saves public, you can find them in his Discord:

https://discord.com/invite/h97ZQxA48U

Besides that I don't really see people making their saves public all that often. I don't recall seeing any central place to upload them besides SCIM.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm looking at the map you posted earlier, where is your mall, where do you store all your building mats? You seem to have individual factories all over the place, are you just running back and forth a whole bunch?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

zoux posted:

I'm looking at the map you posted earlier, where is your mall, where do you store all your building mats? You seem to have individual factories all over the place, are you just running back and forth a whole bunch?

It's the big building in the grasslands, most of the delivery routes are functional but there are still a few late-game things which I need to set up. There's a hypertube cannon pointing northwest (should probably rebuild this to face north) which I use to fly to whichever build site I need, then most factories have another one pointing to the mall to fly back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm using the catwalk method to do curved walls and roads, but anything over 5 degrees, or one click, leaves either noticeable overlap or gaps. Is there a technique to smooth those over?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

I'm using the catwalk method to do curved walls and roads, but anything over 5 degrees, or one click, leaves either noticeable overlap or gaps. Is there a technique to smooth those over?

Not anything good. I really wish they'd make curved foundations a native thing. I do them, but they're a pain.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I actually got annoyed with that stuff almost instantly, I only got the game a week ago and the first thing I did was restart and add some foundation mods.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

20 Nuclear Pasta/min:

Wanted to use all my power generation for a final megaproject and Nuclear Pasta seemed like a good idea since it's made in particle accelerators. After all the stuff to do with the max nuclear build I don't have enough bauxite left in my world to make 30/min but 20/min is still possible. With this project complete I only have two impure nodes left for 600 total so I'm kind of limited in anything I do from here on. Still using drones for ore and overclocking everything to 250% to cut down on building count, the game is still playable even with everything going on.

Setting all this up isn't the easiest thing:

The copper powder was the first step. 16 normal nodes turning 9600 ore into 24000 copper ingots into 4000 copper powder/min. Extremely simple to set up despite the size and a nice break from the actual complexity of the build:

Wanted to do that first because I already spent so much time making Pressure Conversion Cubes for the max nuke build and now I have to make 20 more. I've probably made more PCCs than anyone and never want to see one again. First two floors of the Nuclear Pasta factory deal with subcomponents for the RCUs:

Third floor is manufacturers for the HSCs and RCUs themselves, then another production line for Aluminum Casings

It was around this time that I accidentally Chernobyl'd myself on account of testing all the production for the Nuclear Pasta by drawing batteries from the same supply keeping all the nuclear drones going. No nitrogen, no water, blah blah blah. Got everything running again and built some anti-Chernobyl insurance running on its own grid to store built up uranium waste if it happens again. Won't necessarily fix any problems with Plutonium production but meltdowns are more likely to come from the Uranium side getting choked:

Stopped construction and tacked three more floors onto my nuclear RCU factory to give both sides of the Nuclear Pasta production their own dedicated supply of 400 Batteries/min:

With that done the nuclear power production is back to running steadily on its supply of 750 Batteries/min and the Nuclear Pasta production is running fine with 400. Not sure exactly how much either are using in total but storage bins are filling up so battery production is a slight surplus for both.

Fourth Floor of the NP factory is Heavy Modular Frames, joined with the Aluminum Casings from the second floor and nitrogen from the well outside to make the FMFs, then joined with the RCUs to make the PCCs.

Those get sent up to the glass box fifth floor and joined with all the Copper Powder flown in from the other side of the map for the final stage. 16 Particle accelerators all clocked to 250%, responsible for between 40-60GW of power draw on their own when they're all supplied with materials:

~1.2TW power grid has been holding steady for about 60-70 hours ignoring one or two minor meltdowns on account of my own negligence. With the Nuclear Pasta factory fully up and running I'm hovering at around ~290GW of power draw from total production across the world.

Currently at 439 drone ports, most of those with drones at both ends for better ore throughput.

The game is still playable enough that I kind of want to automate the rest of the final space elevator parts even if 600 bauxite will only let me do so in a limited capacity, nothing on this scale. Rockets and MFGs both need bauxite and I have to worry about supplying the drones with more batteries, so I've hit the limit of my own bullshit at this point. Maybe I could do something crazy, like use all the remaining bauxite for those parts directly and transport the ores by train instead.

As you can see, I've also been very responsible with my storage of Plutonium Waste. Still need to construct more storage towers in non-radioactive areas like the desert and swamp so they can fill up while I'm reaching for the golden cup.

Save file as usual for anyone who wants to take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilk7lf3s5r363bt/NESG_autosave_2.sav?dl=0

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 21, 2023

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY__x2dq7Sk

Update 8 is going to be amazing

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I often thought that with the insane amount of static meshes, instanced and otherwise, that nanite would be a good fit for satisfactory. So Yay!

Also, optional Lumen, get ready to ensure your factories are properly lit!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Still no DLSS. Before the excuse was that the UI stuff wasn't setup to handle this. But now with TSR support, they ought to be able to use the DLSS and FSR plugins.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is still several weeks away right, I don't want to start over

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They said it will *probably* not break saves but to backup your saves just in case anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

zoux posted:

This is still several weeks away right, I don't want to start over

Weeks, potentially months away. The engine update shouldn't break anything but there will probably be yet-unannounced gameplay features that come with it, hard to say how impactful those will be. They generally try to avoid changes which break existing production lines, the major exception being the addition of train signals and collisions which made it a lot more realistic but ruined existing train infrastructure. Mostly new features are additive, I don't know where you are in the game but I wouldn't worry too much about the upcoming changes wrecking whatever you've already built.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just use a faster manual crafting mod, just fly mod, global foundation grid alignment mod and uhhhhhhhhh AUTO KILL.

i'm never gonna set up hypertubes. idc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess with the new physics engine, those wild hyper cannon constructs are a goner.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 26, 2023