Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, Nary is a very bad father. I expect he's lying about her mom in at least some respects. OTOH, The bit about blacktongue involvement in her mom's pregnancy would explain a lot about Sette's uncommon anatomy, but who knows if we can trust Nary's statements about that part.

Sette is supposed to be in her mid-late teens and just stopped getting older when she looked how old she appears now, right? It's rough out there to be a crime lord's daughter and also a blacktongue experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The twin thing explains some of her experiences in the khert and why she's so weirded out in Litrya Shrine

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, Nary is a very bad father. I expect he's lying about her mom in at least some respects. OTOH, The bit about blacktongue involvement in her mom's pregnancy would explain a lot about Sette's uncommon anatomy, but who knows if we can trust Nary's statements about that part.

Sette is supposed to be in her mid-late teens and just stopped getting older when she looked how old she appears now, right? It's rough out there to be a crime lord's daughter and also a blacktongue experiment.
I'm pretty sure Sette's mid. We were treated to a flashback earlier where Nary expressed concerns she wasn't growing to Bastion, not that he's a particularly reliable source but I feel like if she were older he'd be a bit more definitive about it. She's only "Rumored" to be the forever child; if she'd been around longer, I think it'd be a bit more than just a rumor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Have we seen outright lies illustrated before? I'm inclined to think that what we're shown is true (so... being present when Sette was born, showing her ma off a pier), though a lot of the rest might be bullshit. In particular I'm still not fully convinced Sette's stillborn twin is real... though I'm not sure why Nary would specify the twin was male since all twins in Kasslyne are identical. The detail about Sette's name being suggested by the Black Tongues seems like it would be a pointless lie, too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm guessing Sette's twin was the source of the soul Delicieu jammed into Prakhuta

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Prakhuta already had a soul though, it just wasn't a human soul. I don't think you could just replace it? And grafting a whole human soul into an existing Inak soul sounds off too. Might very well have been where Delicieu got the materials for whatever he did, though.

Also I missed earlier (until I read one of Cope's tumblr posts) that Nary is drunk in this page. So maybe less (intentional) gaslighting going on than we've been assuming?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Staltran posted:

Prakhuta already had a soul though, it just wasn't a human soul. I don't think you could just replace it? And grafting a whole human soul into an existing Inak soul sounds off too. Might very well have been where Delicieu got the materials for whatever he did, though.
As far as I recall souls are a very specific weird immaterial organ that principally serve to sop memories from the brain in life and then dump them into the khert on death that only humans (possibly just humans living on this specific khert--fuckled continent?) have and Inak not having them is used as a justification for colonizing them; it's why Prakhuta was onboard with being a war crimes test subject to get one.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Human souls are special in that they do that, but I'm pretty sure all animals have souls. (Possibly only on Kasslyne, yeah, we don't know anything about other continents, or if there even are any.) Not sure where that's stated explicitly Duane claims that souls do the thinking too when telling the Shaensigin story to the old Inak in the shrine, which wouldn't really make sense if he didn't believe Inaks have souls at all. And I think Inaks call human souls long souls because of that? Implying the existence of regular souls.

(Also the long soul is apparently needed to cast, since humans and Prakhuta are the only ones that can do that, but that's probably directly related to the khert-memory-dump thing?)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

One thing I do know Ashley has said multiple times, the "what is a soul, who or what has one, and what exactly does it do" in so many words (and their religions in general as well), is just an explanation and common belief held by the people of Kasslyne , so what we as readers think we know may not be exactly correct as to what is really going on "underneath the hood" so to speak.

For instance, there is both some hard evidence, and some questionable ideas, to support their current belief system, but to make a comparison they might be running on a "the earth is the center of the universe" type model that seems to explain much of what they have witnessed, but it might not be quite right and likely isn't.

There are a few more details in the A/T tumblr and probably a bunch of stuff I don't recall, but even then it is left a bit vague because I think that the author has a few surprises in store down the road involving such things, and I'm not positive if she has made a hard decision on all the details and how she wants to nail them all down yet herself or not. Some things more or less are confirmed though.

I"m sure there are some specific points out there someone might be able to post, but heck if I know how to search through however many years and thousands of tumblr posts effectively, not to mention the old defunct formspring.

Tenebrais posted:

Is this story even true? Sette doesn't have a belly button.

Staltran posted:

Have we seen outright lies illustrated before? I'm inclined to think that what we're shown is true (so... being present when Sette was born, showing her ma off a pier), though a lot of the rest might be bullshit. In particular I'm still not fully convinced Sette's stillborn twin is real... though I'm not sure why Nary would specify the twin was male since all twins in Kasslyne are identical. The detail about Sette's name being suggested by the Black Tongues seems like it would be a pointless lie, too.

This one I might be able to answer a little better. I don't know if I would call them "outright lies" but the pages and panels illustrated in that sort of sepia tone are meant to be someone's memories (or maybe even collective memories) of events that happened in the past, so they should be taken with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean they are wrong, but, they might not be completely reliable, as we know memories aren't infallible.

Edit: And knowing Sette and other characters doing the whole "living in their best world" thing, to the point of lying to themselves, some of these "flashbacks" possibly might be waaay off from the actual truth, but it's hard to say.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 21, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Staltran posted:

Twenty Four posted:

This one I might be able to answer a little better. I don't know if I would call them "outright lies" but the pages and panels illustrated in that sort of sepia tone are meant to be someone's memories (or maybe even collective memories) of events that happened in the past, so they should be taken with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean they are wrong, but, they might not be completely reliable, as we know memories aren't infallible.

This old post is relevant to this discussion:

Fabricated posted:

I looked through the formspring archive way back and someone flat out asked if he molests her or whatever and she pretty flatly said no and that she had no problem revealing that. So at least it's not true creepiness.

But go back and look at almost every single flashback involving her father; he's weirdly rough with her (and not just the expected stuff like clonking her for starting to mouth off to Bastion or just general white-trash style parenting) and she's actively blocking it out. I remember this because one of the panels where he's telling her what to do, he grabs her hair threateningly and there's all these crossouts and squiggles over it like Sette's blocking it out.

edit: Eh why not look again to be sure. The ticketing system where I work fell over and we can't do anything right now anyway.

Look at the bottom right-hand corner.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

This old post is relevant to this discussion:

Oh, dang, you can actually see the edges of the new "my Dad has faith in me" paper that is covering over the old "my Dad is weirdly violent with me" one. It's more obvious in the second image. I didn't notice that the first time I read, only the squiggled out parts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
oh well i guess i see why that might be sette's worst day

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Every time we get new "What is Sette's Deal" deets I measure it against the "Sette is Tirna's mortal vessel" theory and every time I come away thinking, "Y'know, it sure does seem like Sette is related to Tirna somehow".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
what the goddamn poo poo

did she... rip someone entirely out of the afterlife?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she's ripping out her memories so the ghosts can't use them against her. first it was starfish, now it's sara and the version of herself that wanted to be friends with her

turns out that when sette says that she lives in her best world she meant it more literally than we thought, and also has a really tragic idea of "best" in this context

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah, you're probably right

quote:

Me, I rip out worlds I'm too busy for. I make better ones! Stoopid ghosts. You think I haven't done it a hunnerd times afore?!

A hunnerd billion times afore!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Google Jeb Bush posted:

did she... rip Sette entirely out of Sette?

Fixed that for you

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette entering her chuuni anime character and uh, body horror phase

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Strong Bobby Hill energy these last few pages.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Poor Sette :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also grim that the memory of Sara seems to be sentient enough to know exactly what's going on here.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jesus, poor Sette.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Bear with me for a moment. Sette is immortal, if not eternal, and the reason why she thinks she's a child is because she physically tears her memories out of herself when her own existence becomes too much for her to bear. Is that a correct reading?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That seems pretty likely at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
According to Nary she was definitely born. So this physical body we're looking at has existed for at least a couple decades.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

According to Nary she was definitely born. So this physical body we're looking at has existed for at least a couple decades.

I don't think Sette is 20 or older, it seems like it hasn't been completely obvious that she hasn't been aging. I'd guess early-mid teens.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Fabricated posted:

I wouldn't count on Nary ever having told a truth except by accident.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think Nary’s account included too much incidental detail to be a lie. black tongues, missing twin, killed his girlfriend

on the whole it’s hard to get a bead on just how much of a prevaricator he is, because with the exception of one scene all of our glimpses of him have been filtered through Sette’s delusions

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Also he was sloshed at the time and ruminating over whether to throttle his kid, which isn't really his cold calculating side.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Just based on the structure of the story, I'd say we're supposed to believe this account (although that's not to say there can't still be missing pieces). It's a time for revelations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Also he was sloshed at the time and ruminating over whether to throttle his kid, which isn't really his cold calculating side.

regardless of how much of that particular story is true I have total faith in Nary's ability to be drunk, plotting murder, and lying at the same time. it's sort of the Sharteshane walk and chew gum

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like the magic bone spurs and memory ripping stuff is unknown to Nary because no way would he let something that potentially useful slip away without a lot of compensation and he seemed more interested in the big deal Sette was tangentially involved in than pawning her off to Starfish.

Also Starfish mentioned she hadn't aged for a decade, so I was guessing she's twenty-ish. She hit adolescence, then stopped aging like anyone thought she should. Makes sense to me.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is there a chance that the black tongues pulled an immortal being out of the khert in order to give sette life? And they somehow lost they're memories in the process?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sette’s presence in Ilganyag’s nest suggests some kind of reincarnation (remember how Minnow said “she’s never happy”) but this new memory-tinkering skill makes it hard to tell how often she goes through a literal rebirth instead of a metaphorical one

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That Jivi kid is alright.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

It's so satisfying to see this particular plot thread resolved. It's a kind of heart warming we don't often get in this comic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Confirmation, more or less. :getin:

"Help us or the lizard will." "Or the lizard will what, lol?" "He'll open her cage."

on the plus side sette might be figuring out how to wield the power of friendship

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Confirmation, more or less. :getin:

"Help us or the lizard will." "Or the lizard will what, lol?" "He'll open her cage."

on the plus side sette might be figuring out how to wield the power of friendship

That's a really neat use of the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
HEEEEERE HE COMES