Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Oracle posted:

Honestly hindsight makes me wonder if all those people dropping dead from those poison vape carts were maybe early canaries in the covid coal mine. Did they ever definitively figure out what caused those or was it a 'best guess' kind of thing?

I'm certain that 99% of the kids poisoned by nic vapes were actually smoking lovely black market 420 carts and didn't want to tell mommy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Oracle posted:

Honestly hindsight makes me wonder if all those people dropping dead from those poison vape carts were maybe early canaries in the covid coal mine. Did they ever definitively figure out what caused those or was it a 'best guess' kind of thing?

We've seen how fast covid spreads in unprepared populations. It couldn't have been lurking in vapers for 3-5 months without collapsing every hospital in the US during the 2019 holidays.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

that poo poo happened because inhaling vitamin e turns your lung surfactant layer into liquid

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oracle posted:

Hope you are doing well oracle!

To answer this question it was Black market thc, they would use vitamin E to make it viscous so it could be vaped from a cartridge. You have to have good viscosity on a vape cartridge to get a good pull. If it's too crumble like it can have trouble or burn up quickly or just plain get stuck.

It wasn't well known that vitamin E did this as it's used commonly in other applications that aren't vaping and is fine(as far as I recall).

It was never nicotine vapes. That's was a concentrated push by big tobacco to gravitate people towards cigarettes. People still say stupid poo poo like ", I'm smoking cigarettes because vapes are worse!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Update on me and my wife.

Wife has tested positive the past two days, despite negatives the week before.

Here’s the timeline, testing every 24-48 hours.

Week 1: Tested positive Mon-Wed, negative the rest of the week. Symptoms done by end of week 1. Took full course of Paxlovid starting Monday

Week 2: Symptoms done, negative all week.

Week 3: No symptoms, Positive Mon/Tues, Negative Wed/Thurs, Positive on 2 tests today.

With this, what are we supposed to do? We’ve still been isolating and wearing masks inside. Does this mean she’s still contagious?

Dacap fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 17, 2023

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The rapid tests are basically swabbing the exhaust ports of your virus blower, with a pretty insensitive test at that. If it's still positive, you're contagious.

These new strains are very virulent, and the "go back to your neighborhood cough-sniffing parties after 5 days" from the CDC is why we still have 400 dying a day.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

insta posted:

The rapid tests are basically swabbing the exhaust ports of your virus blower, with a pretty insensitive test at that. If it's still positive, you're contagious.

These new strains are very virulent, and the "go back to your neighborhood cough-sniffing parties after 5 days" from the CDC is why we still have 400 dying a day.

It's hard to be motivated to isolate yourself for 5 more days socially after already being back in the office for 5 days imo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bad Purchase posted:

an IFR of 0.04 would imply over 650 million cases in the past year in the US, i don't think that's possible

US has a lower vaccination rate though, and other factors that would lead to a higher IFR

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prom candy posted:

US has a lower vaccination rate though, and other factors that would lead to a higher IFR

According to the CDC:

quote:

Based on interviews conducted during November–December 2022, only 27.1% of adults and 18.5% of adolescents who had completed a COVID-19 primary series received a bivalent booster, and coverage was lower among Black and Hispanic persons.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7207a5.htm

Roughly 69% of the eligible US population completed the initial vax protocol, about 12% are "partly vaccinated" and around 19% are completely unvaxxed. Of course they're not sure of the exact numbers, and I'm not sure if those stats include undocumented citizens

naem
May 29, 2011

vax my neg hole

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The grandstanding continues...

https://twitter.com/nichols_senator/status/1626106794916601856?s=20

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Normal country

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I hope that bill is written in a way that her cells are doing crimes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Going to put her mitochondria into protective custody.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The only thing that can stop a bad mRNA with a gun is a good mRNA with a gun.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Yeah I've got some mRNA for you. but no UTR bullshit. all my mRNAs are FULLY TRANSLATED. plus i only got the good poo poo. AUG codons only. none of the termination UAA UAG UGA codons. gently caress that poo poo. we never stopping!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I don't have a problem with Idaho banning novel vaccines and cancer treatments

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Hey, don't shoot the messenger ribonucleic acid technology!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Idaho has been the state-level equivalent of a 2nd amendment cultist shooting himself in the balls for years now. See also their rabid anti-marijuana stance.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We will be banning dihydrogen monoxide from our state to protect the children

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:pseudo:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1628823946798792704?s=20

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The US Department of Energy is now more confident that covid started from a lab leak than from spillover from an animal:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/26/politics/covid-lab-leak-wuhan-china-intelligence/index.html

What I don't get is why is the DoE looking into covid at all? I thought their main job was maintaining nuclear weapons.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s a click-bait headline, the actual assessment is “low confidence” and there’s no new info, it also remains the minority opinion among intelligence and law enforcement agencies that used covid studies to grow their budgets

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Seems like just more grist for the mill of stoking anti-China sentiment. I know early on I had coworkers saying it leaked from a Chinese lab with the implication it was some kind of biological warfare thing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

dude who wrote the original WSJ article CNN uses as a source is the coauthor w/ judith miller on articles about wmds

500 good dogs posted:

lol this guy ftw

not singling out one way or another but this has to be the 2nd/3rd cycle of "IT WAS LAB MADE" and then you read two paragraphs into the article and it's some random official who says, "uh yeah its a possibility"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

"lab leak" has also been coded by the news to sound like it was created in a lab, as a weapon or whatever, and glossing over the explanation that the virus originated naturally and a lab employee came into contact with it while investigating or studying.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thankfully everyone reads articles carefully and doesn’t just share things on social media when they agree with the headline.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Strong Sauce posted:

dude who wrote the original WSJ article CNN uses as a source is the coauthor w/ judith miller on articles about wmds

About as expected. It's like how the author behind the Cockrane Review on masks, which claims that masks are useless against disease, is an antivaxxer with ties to a libertarian think tank, which helped author the Great Barrington Declaration (basically a letter to government officials advocating for herd immunity).

It sounds like a conspiracy theory, but goddamn.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

"lab leak" has also been coded by the news to sound like it was created in a lab, as a weapon or whatever, and glossing over the explanation that the virus originated naturally and a lab employee came into contact with it while investigating or studying.

it doesn't matter anymore. even if they showed it was a complete accident that it got out from the lab they'll still blame china for covering it up. and they do deserve some blame for that no doubt, but it's all so China can be the scapegoat for how incompetently the US government handled the virus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The actual drug company conspiracies are stuff like “this compound is easier to synthesize and would work at least as well, however our patent on it runs out five years earlier, so let’s ram the other one through trials”.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Platystemon posted:

The actual drug company conspiracies are stuff like “this compound is easier to synthesize and would work at least as well, however our patent on it runs out five years earlier, so let’s ram the other one through trials”.

I worked on a version of daptomycin called sweet dapto where SOMEONE added some double digits of kilos of sugar to the compound after completing their purchase of SOMEONE right before the patent on daptomycin ran out, then put it in stability trials and filed a new patent.

poo poo was a mess, just the worst poo poo ever to clean up. Antibiotic candy. Then a Federal judge told them that adding a bunch of sugar to the compound was not a loving new patent on the drug and we started running the old version that didn't suck balls to deal with again.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 27, 2023

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Got covid for the first time this weekend, knocked me on my rear end all day yesterday.
Did anyone else get lower back pain? It was pretty painful and made it hard to sleep. I thought I had pulled something sitting up in bed for 8 hours tripping with a fever, but it just kind of went away with the fever and then right back to normal.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

pro starcraft loser posted:

Got covid for the first time this weekend, knocked me on my rear end all day yesterday.
Did anyone else get lower back pain? It was pretty painful and made it hard to sleep. I thought I had pulled something sitting up in bed for 8 hours tripping with a fever, but it just kind of went away with the fever and then right back to normal.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971222003125#! posted:

SARS-CoV-2 infection is associated with low back pain: findings from a community-based case-control study
Highlights
  • Overall, 24.4% of survivors of COVID-19 reported low back pain (LBP).
  • Prevalence of LBP was only 15.7% among participants without COVID-19.
  • SARS-CoV-2 infection was independently associated with LBP.
  • Moderate COVID-19 symptom was a robust independent predictor of LBP.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Myalgia is currently a leading symptom, yes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://archive.is/CSIz6

just remember that article by vanity fair where they hired a guy who's name is "toy reid" who says he understood a secretive Chinese language used by government officials that normal native Mandarin Speakers couldn't understand only to not understand that 安全隐患 is basically "safety risk" and not "hidden danger" as he translated it.

https://twitter.com/janeqiuchina/status/1589102608761106433

But hey, I guess this guy has way more Mandarin and written Chinese knowledge that regular Chinese speakers. The dude from Greenville South Carolina obviously got this one right.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know if you're in the US, but you might consider seeing if you can get Paxlovid as long as it isn't contraindicated for whatever reason. There are links in the OP of this thread, thanks to Trixie.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

Thankfully everyone reads articles carefully and doesn’t just share things on social media when they agree with the headline.

It's already on the Reddit front page and LOL

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Strong Sauce posted:

https://archive.is/CSIz6

just remember that article by vanity fair where they hired a guy who's name is "toy reid" who says he understood a secretive Chinese language used by government officials that normal native Mandarin Speakers couldn't understand only to not understand that 安全隐患 is basically "safety risk" and not "hidden danger" as he translated it.

https://twitter.com/janeqiuchina/status/1589102608761106433

But hey, I guess this guy has way more Mandarin and written Chinese knowledge that regular Chinese speakers. The dude from Greenville South Carolina obviously got this one right.
lol that they used “he found high school Spanish easy” as an example of his linguistic prowess.

thin blue whine posted:

It's already on the Reddit front page and LOL
Gonna take a wild guess: all the top comments (thousands of upvotes each) were made by people who clearly didn’t read the article, and then way down below, comments with maybe a few dozen or hundred upvotes are there saying “The headline doesn’t match the article!” And those comments have sub-comments with very few upvotes going “Yes! Why isn’t this the top comment???”

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 27, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

lol that they used “he found high school Spanish easy” as an example of his linguistic prowess.

Gonna take a wild guess: all the top comments (thousands of upvotes each) were made by people who clearly didn’t read the article, and then way down below, comments with maybe a few dozen or hundred upvotes are there saying “The headline doesn’t match the article!” And those comments have sub-comments with very few upvotes going “Yes! Why isn’t this the top comment???”

Much like how people learned to bypass Google by searching Google for answers about things on Reddit, people will soon need to learn to bypass the top X comments, where X is a calculated variable determined by whatever some marketing team determines is the number of comments that the average marketing-susceptible person reads before going to a different post.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know if you're in the US, but you might consider seeing if you can get Paxlovid as long as it isn't contraindicated for whatever reason. There are links in the OP of this thread, thanks to Trixie.
I totally agree, you really should get on Paxlovid if you can. You can’t wait and say “I’ll take it if it gets worse,” because you have to get it in the first few days. Just get a bag of cough drops with it for the taste, but it’s totally worthwhile, especially since you’re already having not-just-a-cold symptoms.