Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm just gonna go tenkeyless for now with an eye towards maybe an ergodox in the future, those things look real interesting. Ducky one 3 should be fine right? Anything around that price I should consider as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm just gonna go tenkeyless for now with an eye towards maybe an ergodox in the future, those things look real interesting. Ducky one 3 should be fine right? Anything around that price I should consider as well?

I wouldn't buy a ducky. I've never used a keychron, but they're recommended in this thread a lot and most (all?) support qmk/via. That would be my first stop for an entry level tkl.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Canna Happy posted:

I wouldn't buy a ducky.

Why not? Other than the lack of VIA support

Also, been thinking about keyboard stuff - is there a good/common substitute I can throw in for the CapsLock key? Rebind it to a fn/meta key? Layer switch?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just build a Dactyl Manuform :getin:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I thought I didn't need arrow keys until I took them away. Turns out I use them a lot in spreadsheets or to move the text cursor around in small increments that I don't want to reach for the mouse for. Stuff that I've been doing so long that it's such deep muscle memory I didn't even do it consciously anymore.

Could I remap that? Maybe. Is it worth doing when the extra size added by an arrow cluster is so incredibly small? Absolutely not, at least not for me.

Delete key was also an annoyance, but that's an easier fix as mentioned above.

death cob for cutie posted:

Also, been thinking about keyboard stuff - is there a good/common substitute I can throw in for the CapsLock key? Rebind it to a fn/meta key? Layer switch?

I put control there. So far, so good!

Also don't get a keychron, lol

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Someone upthread had a firmware-related problem with key chatter, apparently a common issue https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=528941368

That would disqualify it for me personally

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Swap left crtl and caps lock. This is how the old Sun Microsystem keyboards were and it's helpful if you do a lot of keyboard shortcuts that use ctrl.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

I thought I didn't need arrow keys until I took them away. Turns out I use them a lot in spreadsheets or to move the text cursor around in small increments that I don't want to reach for the mouse for. Stuff that I've been doing so long that it's such deep muscle memory I didn't even do it consciously anymore.

some people set up arrows like this to mostly preserve muscle memory, where tapping does an arrow input and holding does the keys normal function

i don't know if it's worth the trouble to shave off a single column compared to 65, but it's an option

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ducky is perfectly fine, but comparable Keychrons are higher quality. If you're getting a Ducky, I'd recommend making sure you get one that has hotswap sockets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

repiv posted:

some people set up arrows like this to mostly preserve muscle memory, where tapping does an arrow input and holding does the keys normal function

i don't know if it's worth the trouble to shave off a single column compared to 65, but it's an option

Objectively, it's never worth the trouble to shave off any keys from a full-size keyboard. :can:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

True, however, I have an incredibly cute lavender 60% on the way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Give me all the keys, so the clackening may commence

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I really like the implementation of arrow keys in 60% on the DZ60RGB PCB (I think most commonly used for Tofu, that's what I put it in).

The upper right key of the arrow area binds to delete, the shortened right shift binds to ? on tap and shift on hold which ~just works~, and I never use and do not miss right Ctrl.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Give me all the keys, so the clackening may commence

OK

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think it's very clear that's not all the keys.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

so if you do this, don't be like me and put it through the dryer too, even at a low cycle. in fact the washer itself may be a bad idea.

Oh no! :rip:

Recently got a steam cleaner (Bissell 2685A, it revolutionized mopping the floor for me) and have found that steam cleaning them is far superior. It feels brand new now!

.Z. posted:

Neeeeerrrrddddddd. (Ignore the pledge page I have open)

I'm hoping they release a 75% size, 65% would also work but that seems less likely. I just can't stand not having dedicated arrow keys.

I miss my weird 65% lnumpad so much that I snagged the keychron numpad with the dial. I can live with fn+hjkl but typing in IP addresses without a numpad is worse than bad sex.

Really really wish this had a split spacebar, using my left thumb for +layer is so much better than anything else. I'm considering a foot switch lol

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think it's very clear that's not all the keys.

I can't help that little elf ran off with some when I dropped the bag.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Objectively, it's never worth the trouble to shave off any keys from a full-size keyboard. :can:

It is so much a situation dependent. When I'm actively typing I want to be able to do everything while barely moving my fingers, all those keys way over there are useless. But when I just want to lay half dead on my chair and browse the forums I need the PgDn within easy reach.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

KBO-5000 I built last week, finished up with a clear 3D printed wrap around layer that really helps the underlighting. Ignore my knees and taped-together wrist rests (the grey ones you see on top are nearly a quarter century old at this point - I got a giant box of them when I worked at my old college, and I have no idea what happened to most of 'em).

My only real complaint at this point is that the plates from keeb.io don't have recesses for where the USB inputs are, so you end up pushing the PCB up a bit to get a cable in, and that can't be good. I plan on filing those sections down on the bottom of the case to fix the issue. Otherwise, it's much more straightforward than the Sofle I made last year - I realize ortho is more ergonomic, but bucking against 30 years of muscle memory isn't gonna work out so well, and I took for granted how much my work (proprietary medical software stuff) loves to assign bizarre F key combinations to everything or like, "You must use right ctrl and an arrow for this to work," which is not something a Sofle is particularly designed to handle. I need to solder in an LED for caps lock or figure out if I can get the underglow to change when it's active, but I haven't delved into QMK really.

Edit: mill-max sockets were much easier to solder in than I anticipated, as well. If it weren't for their god-awful price I'd say they should be something everyone considers when building a keyboard.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Have you experimented with making a custom layer that inputs those key combinations as a "single" press (assuming layer+key is one action) yet? I made a few for obvious poo poo like copy/paste/screenshot, did more than I expected to reduce fatigue

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I fiddled with it a bit, but a lot of it was multiple ridiculous things one after another that depend on context - so I'd have to shift + F12, press down twice, hit enter, then enter a number, hit enter again, then page down eight times.... The stuff this is used for is supposedly going to be retiring next week (replacing with SalesForce, so six of one, half dozen of the other), so maybe it'll be more viable then. The KBO works real nice for how I do stuff now though. I *did* use the numpad quite a bit, but it's not hard to adapt (and I have the aforementioned wonky yampad to use if I need to).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ended up getting a WASD code. The knob keychron is really tempting but I didn't want to chance it with their customer service. I appreciate the advice, all!

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

My old keyboard finally gave up the ghost after 8 or so years. The E key stopped responding and I wasn't able to troubleshoot it back to life so here I am. Been poking around the internet for the past couple of days and there's just... a lot out there. Hoping y'all can help me out, I've got a fairly good idea of what I want but a much less good idea of how to get there.

Budget: $200? $250? Pretty elastic on price, haven't bought one in a long time and it's gonna see hard use so I'm not tryna skimp.
Size: Prefer full size. I could be talked in to dropping the 10key but there would have to be a pretty good reason.
RGB: Prefer none. I've turned it off on basically everything I've ever had it on within a week so might as well just not.
Wired - I'll be gamin.

Now the important one: Volume
I share my space with my wife so need to keep the clackening to a minimum. Not sure what my previous keyboard was, I think maybe MX Cherry Red and this was... borderline. Long email typing would definitely catch me some side eye if she was trying to concentrate on something.

Extra features: switching back to a basic garbage keyboard actually has me missing the media buttons, specifically volume up/down. Not critical, but I guess I used them more than I thought.

The enthusiasts are generally down on the quieter switches - a lot of them are here specifically for the clack, so reducing that on purpose is a step in the wrong direction for them. Listening to a bunch of switch sound test comparison videos on youtube I've been drawn to the Boba U4. Reviews point to it being very quiet but still having a nice feedback to pushing. Seems like this is a much less widely used switch - I haven't found any prebuilds that use it. Which would mean going barebones+switches+keycaps which is way deeper in to the custom route than I've been before.

I understand that a quiet mechanical keyboard is giving up something from the very start. Trying to wade through reddit posts for helpful information has been rough so I appreciate any help you can offer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My drop alt with holy pandas has started double pressing on four or five keys, and it is driving me nuts. I assume I need to clean or replace the switches to fix it.

Time to finally commit on a new board I guess.

^^^^
I plan on using Boba U4s in whatever I buy next. My understanding is they are one of the best silent tactile switches, which is what I am after.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 2, 2023

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MerrMan posted:

The enthusiasts are generally down on the quieter switches - a lot of them are here specifically for the clack, so reducing that on purpose is a step in the wrong direction for them. Listening to a bunch of switch sound test comparison videos on youtube I've been drawn to the Boba U4. Reviews point to it being very quiet but still having a nice feedback to pushing. Seems like this is a much less widely used switch - I haven't found any prebuilds that use it. Which would mean going barebones+switches+keycaps which is way deeper in to the custom route than I've been before.

I understand that a quiet mechanical keyboard is giving up something from the very start. Trying to wade through reddit posts for helpful information has been rough so I appreciate any help you can offer.

It's not just the Boba U4T that's popular, the U4 is as well, and a bunch of people in this thread use it. If you want a silent tactile switch, it's probably the best option, just keep in mind that you're coming from linears (Cherry Red). If you like linear switches and want to stick with them, you might prefer silent linears instead.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I plan on using Boba U4s in whatever I buy next. My understanding is they are one of the best silent tactile switches, which is what I am after.

You are correct about the U4. Just don’t mix it up with the U4T when buying, which is the non silent version you get if you want to make a thocky board.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My drop alt with holy pandas has started double pressing on four or five keys, and it is driving me nuts. I assume I need to clean or replace the switches to fix it.

Time to finally commit on a new board I guess.

^^^^

I'm just going to throw out a recommendation for Mode Sonnet if it's in your budget. The best part is that it has replaceable parts and is very easy to build work on, and it's in stock. Mode's also an actually good company, unlike the jerks at Keychron. Drop in general is a poo poo company with very poor build Quilty for boards compared to other stuff. I'm typing this on a Mode Sonnet with Boba U4's as we speak. (the none silent kind). If that's over your budget and or you need RBG, while they've been kind of lovely to influencers in the past, GMMK Pro is also a solid board, and I'd say the build quality is better than Keychron. (I have all three, but will only buy more from Mode going forward I think. Unless space 65's return to being in stock ever).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
A fully built mode sonnet is for sure a nice board, but my wife would kill me if i spent that much.

I've been eyeing the keychron Q1 Pro as an alternative. The gmmk is okay, but I'm turned off by their marketing.

I'd prefer a 65% over a TKL, but most of the good ones are out of stock or very pricey.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A fully built mode sonnet is for sure a nice board, but my wife would kill me if i spent that much.

I've been eyeing the keychron Q1 Pro as an alternative. The gmmk is okay, but I'm turned off by their marketing.

I'd prefer a 65% over a TKL, but most of the good ones are out of stock or very pricey.

Then it sounds like you just need a 75% that isn't from GMMK, friend. There are brands other than Keychron that make those.

I think the NJ80, IK75, and that Donkey one from earlier are still the hotswap value darlings. Which one is best would depend on your priorities for features and how much modding you are willing to do.

While what you said about enthusiasts preferring thock is true for some, it's not true for all. There are just as many nerd sneakerheads keyboard enthusiasts who enjoy silent or soft sounds (myself and others in this thread included).

The reason you won't find bobas as a stock option for any keyboard isn't because they're spurned, it's because they're SO popular that it's literally impossible to get them in quantities suitable for mass production. It's often a challenge to get enough for one board.

You will probably have an easier time since you don't care about RGB. That means you can just grab whatever is available in the size and weight you want - probably 55g bobagums, if you're used to cherry reds (Bobagums, or Gazzew Linear if it's the more recent version with the new plastic, are the linear version of the U4). But if you want the clear top variant for RGB shine-through, it's a ride. The last two times I put them in a board (one tactile, one linear), I had to literally reach out to the guy who designed them on Discord, have him send me the raw switch components, and assemble them at home. It was worth it though, they're great switches and assembling them is easier than it sounds. I'm glad he talked me into it.

You're on the right track, don't feel bad if dickheads on Reddit made you feel bad about it. :glomp: Whether you go linear or tactile (I couldn't tell which way you were leaning from your post) they're by far the best option I've tried. If you can't find them labeled as Boba, keep an eye out for "Gazzew" branded ones. They're the same thing, just with a slightly different plastic used. The old plastic yellowed if exposed to certain foams, and nerds got a silly amount of upset about it.

Now you just need to pick keycaps and a barebones board to drop them into! :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A NK65 from novelkeys might be what you're looking for.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

The Entry Edition is sold out, and the Aluminum Edition only has neon case colors left. The rest are at kind of a price premium, unless I'm missing something.

I know you weren't talking to me, but it reminded me to check the availability because it's the board my partner wants as well. Apparently the Olivia Edition (pink and black) was marked down to $99 at some point? I'm sad I missed that, she would have loved it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mariooncrack posted:

Speaking of, I caved and bought a bag of their mystery keys after seeing how many people on the mechanical keyboard subreddit got Gateron Ink Black switches

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

While what you said about enthusiasts preferring thock is true for some, it's not true for all. There are just as many nerd sneakerheads keyboard enthusiasts who enjoy silent or soft sounds (myself and others in this thread included).

The reason you won't find bobas as a stock option for any keyboard isn't because they're spurned, it's because they're SO popular that it's literally impossible to get them in quantities suitable for mass production. It's often a challenge to get enough for one board.

You will probably have an easier time since you don't care about RGB. That means you can just grab whatever is available in the size and weight you want - probably 55g bobagums, if you're used to cherry reds (Bobagums, or Gazzew Linear if it's the more recent version with the new plastic, are the linear version of the U4). But if you want the clear top variant for RGB shine-through, it's a ride. The last two times I put them in a board (one tactile, one linear), I had to literally reach out to the guy who designed them on Discord, have him send me the raw switch components, and assemble them at home. It was worth it though, they're great switches and assembling them is easier than it sounds. I'm glad he talked me into it.

You're on the right track, don't feel bad if dickheads on Reddit made you feel bad about it. :glomp: Whether you go linear or tactile (I couldn't tell which way you were leaning from your post) they're by far the best option I've tried. If you can't find them labeled as Boba, keep an eye out for "Gazzew" branded ones. They're the same thing, just with a slightly different plastic used. The old plastic yellowed if exposed to certain foams, and nerds got a silly amount of upset about it.

Now you just need to pick keycaps and a barebones board to drop them into! :v:

Oh, that's wild. I hadn't even considered that people were actually gobbling these up and that's why it was hard to find them. Interesting.

I think I want to try the U4. I wasn't totally in love with my previous keyboard, it was just what I had and that was good enough. I guess the good thing is that if I hate it I can swap them out for something different. Although that sounds suspiciously like something I would say if I was going to get in to this hobby... which I am definitely not...

Started this morning dead set on a full-size, but as I search around more it looks like there aren't actually a ton of options for that. Keychron must have great SEO because they're popping at the top of basically every search I do, but there's a few warnings against them on this very page. Maybe a tenkeyless and a separate numpad is acceptable. I guess I'm doing less numpad work now than I ever have before, I just sort of like the idea of having it there.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ringerkeys still has a bunch of gazzew options in stock right now.

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Unsinkabear posted:

The Entry Edition is sold out, and the Aluminum Edition only has neon case colors left. The rest are at kind of a price premium, unless I'm missing something.

I know you weren't talking to me, but it reminded me to check the availability because it's the board my partner wants as well. Apparently the Olivia Edition (pink and black) was marked down to $99 at some point? I'm sad I missed that, she would have loved it.

They've still got a few Mictlan Editions in stock. I'm honestly a mite tempted, even though I don't need any more boards, nor do I have room for them.

I've got an NK87v1 Aluminum with paper washers added to the stabs, and I love it. Highly recommend the general design.

MerrMan posted:

Oh, that's wild. I hadn't even considered that people were actually gobbling these up and that's why it was hard to find them. Interesting.

I think I want to try the U4. I wasn't totally in love with my previous keyboard, it was just what I had and that was good enough. I guess the good thing is that if I hate it I can swap them out for something different. Although that sounds suspiciously like something I would say if I was going to get in to this hobby... which I am definitely not...

Started this morning dead set on a full-size, but as I search around more it looks like there aren't actually a ton of options for that. Keychron must have great SEO because they're popping at the top of basically every search I do, but there's a few warnings against them on this very page. Maybe a tenkeyless and a separate numpad is acceptable. I guess I'm doing less numpad work now than I ever have before, I just sort of like the idea of having it there.

I'm typing this on U4Ts right now, and they're probably my favorite switches ever. They certainly aren't quiet, though. And yea, Keychron and Ducky are probably the biggest makers of hobbyist-level full-sizes. Nobody else seems interested. The next-best solution I've found is The Boston, a 120% modified 1800 layout. I don't love the 3d-printed case, though. And they're not available right now anyway.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The Mode Envoy is a pretty sick 65% that's $190-210. But it's in pre order and won't ship till June.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

LionArcher posted:

The Mode Envoy is a pretty sick 65% that's $190-210. But it's in pre order and won't ship till June.

This is actually much closer to what I am looking for. I wasn't aware of it either so thanks!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is actually much closer to what I am looking for. I wasn't aware of it either so thanks!

Of course. there are sound tests/ videos out out there for it, and it is a crazy good value for what it is by the looks of things. Also, you can order back up PCB for not a lot either, so that if down the line you spilled something on it, it's an easy fix.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I’ve said it before but consider the WS silent tactile. I recently installed them on my 60%, and as they break in I’m loving them more and more. Really great switch and cheap!