Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Can we get a thread name change to "turned down for what?"

New bug turns down voice comm volume for party members randomly, but also frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

Can we get a thread name change to "turned down for what?"

New bug turns down voice comm volume for party members randomly, but also frequently.

That's been around for at least a year.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The queues are only getting stranger and more fun. I played with someone named AlwaysMVP who slam picked Alarak in ARAM, but then when I picked Li Li they switched to Auriel and spent the whole game antagonizing the enemy team but almost never dying. They didn't do much and they weren't at fights, but they were very good at annoying the enemy team and not dying. They didn't get a card at the end of the match though.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
dled a 750mb patch today, no patch notes and no mention on the launcher, not noticed any changes after a couple of games on qm today, anyone else get the patch?

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

no clue why it was 750mb but there was this small hotfix:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/hotfix-patch-notes-february-21-2023/59612

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
still not a totally dead game from blizz's side it seems

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Fixed an issue where Industrial District ARAM map could not properly create a replay.

- this has been an issue for at least a year IIRC. Explains why it wouldn’t trigger a Hotslogs score screen! Wanted it one time when I played as Azmo for proof didn’t get hit once, let alone die.

Hero choices are now Hero’s class based instead of role based in ARAM.

- I wonder what this means?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hero Roles are like Bruiser, Tank, Melee Assassin, Ranged Assassin, etc. Hero Classes are like Burst Damage, Siege, DPS, etc. It SHOULD make ARAM spreads slightly more balanced.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
They updated ARAM so there's a chance that both teams all get the same hero. I queued up yesterday and got an all Tychus game, I'm so glad they slipped this back in there.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

They updated ARAM so there's a chance that both teams all get the same hero. I queued up yesterday and got an all Tychus game, I'm so glad they slipped this back in there.

God I missed this

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

beepsandboops posted:

Holy poo poo. I just started doing ranked but I might have to go back to ARAM now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
After a couple weeks of getting the occasional "1 hero for everyone" ARAM, I can tell you the worst by far was Maiev, and the Murky one was probably best. We've also done Probius (awful, as soon as one team is losing they will lose the game, just very slowly) and Cassia (fine, staggering deaths is probably the only way to actually lose) which wore out their fun about 10 minutes before they ended. The matches aren't too frequent, so it's not annoying, but that Maiev one was so painful I almost went AFK.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That doesn't surprise me because Maiev is one of the worst designed characters in the game

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I had an all-mephisto match where literally nothing mattered, just spam keys at the enemy team but had the audacity to go on for 30 minutes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I got to experience the all Murky one once and it was indeed amazing

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I got to experience the all Murky one once and it was indeed amazing

Yeah, here's the secret for if anyone gets it: go the slime quest but take big tuna kahuna at 20. I went with the bubble heals talent as well and was unkillable. The match devolves into who can get the most slimes off, so being able to guaranteed 1v1 is very useful and I could 1v2 against murkys that didn't take the same level 20, even though they took the reduced cooldown on slime at 20.

FungiCap posted:

I had an all-mephisto match where literally nothing mattered, just spam keys at the enemy team but had the audacity to go on for 30 minutes.

I imagine everyone took the global ult? That sounds like you win if you get 20 first?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Kith posted:

That doesn't surprise me because Maiev is one of the worst designed characters in the game

which ones are the best?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sure okay posted:

which ones are the best?

off of the top of my head, the ones that i recall having really well-done designs are:

Artanis
Rexxar
Dehaka
Leoric
Thrall
Xul
Pretty Much All Of The Healers Except Malfurion
Alarak
Murky
Illidan
Falstad
Fenix
Cho'gall
Gul'dan
Jaina
Junkrat
Nazeebo
Tychus
Zagara
Zul'jin
Valla
Abathur
Zarya
Pretty Much All Of The Tanks Except Garrosh

HOTS has a very bad problem where there are a number of characters that are balanced around how cool the concept is rather than how fair it feels to play against them. the majority of them are good which is cool but some are real stinkers!!!

there are also a handful of "yeah sure" characters that are perfectly serviceable but aren't particularly noteworthy design-wise, like Raynor. not bad but not particularly inspiring either

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 24, 2023

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
All-Genji was pretty interesting but it was also obvious that there were no expert Genjis on either team, otherwise it would have been over a lot quicker than it was

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Chakan posted:

After a couple weeks of getting the occasional "1 hero for everyone" ARAM, I can tell you the worst by far was Maiev, and the Murky one was probably best. We've also done Probius (awful, as soon as one team is losing they will lose the game, just very slowly) and Cassia (fine, staggering deaths is probably the only way to actually lose) which wore out their fun about 10 minutes before they ended. The matches aren't too frequent, so it's not annoying, but that Maiev one was so painful I almost went AFK.

Ahaha yeah that checks out.

I'm so happy they brought back all 1 char, even if 40 minutes into all probius or kael'thas I'm ready for the next match.

Seriously, it's awesome and I have a hard time not baiting the people who complain when it happens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uh sorry, Garrosh rules

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
All-Abathur ARAM to see who uninstalls first

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Kith posted:

off of the top of my head, the ones that i recall having really well-done designs are:

Artanis
Rexxar
Dehaka
Leoric
Thrall
Xul
Pretty Much All Of The Healers Except Malfurion
Alarak
Murky
Illidan
Falstad
Fenix
Cho'gall
Gul'dan
Jaina
Junkrat
Nazeebo
Tychus
Zagara
Zul'jin
Valla
Abathur
Zarya
Pretty Much All Of The Tanks Except Garrosh

HOTS has a very bad problem where there are a number of characters that are balanced around how cool the concept is rather than how fair it feels to play against them. the majority of them are good which is cool but some are real stinkers!!!

there are also a handful of "yeah sure" characters that are perfectly serviceable but aren't particularly noteworthy design-wise, like Raynor. not bad but not particularly inspiring either

I used to say that when it came time to negotiate with your team on who's playing what during a competitive draft, highlighting Murky was like quietly setting a gun on the table. Hated that little guy. He's the epitome of "cool concept" but "feels terrible to play with OR against." It's like, the game you thought you were playing is no longer the game you're playing. 5v5 fights are never going to be fair, and now it's all about stalling for or fighting against a backdooring little poo poo. Shoulda been cut.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

sure okay posted:

I used to say that when it came time to negotiate with your team on who's playing what during a competitive draft, highlighting Murky was like quietly setting a gun on the table. Hated that little guy. He's the epitome of "cool concept" but "feels terrible to play with OR against." It's like, the game you thought you were playing is no longer the game you're playing. 5v5 fights are never going to be fair, and now it's all about stalling for or fighting against a backdooring little poo poo. Shoulda been cut.

Mods???????

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

sure okay posted:

what in the world

murky is the only thing that makes me think of reinstalling

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sure okay posted:

murky is one of the best executed designs in the game. he is completely counterable if you know what you're doing, but isn't totally useless if he gets bullied out of his niche. he's weird and unique and while he CAN be tough to play against he doesn't completely alter the match dynamic like, say, nova or valeera

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Sometimes I feel bad for exclusively playing ARAM. I miss out on builds and playstyles, and I've forgotten what it's like to see or play leoric. I do kinda miss it.

But an organized 5 person team doing draft is a little more competetive and serious than I get about HotS these days. Can't imagine how long it takes to get that match started.

Anything less than that though? Somehow not competitive enough! QM especially is some silly poo poo with less than 5 people. I can't be bothered to worry about lanes and map objectives when our team is the whole goddamn circus and there's almost no communication or organization.

When I do try non-aram I either pick somebody who can inpendently push and do camps, or somebody like Nova. And I'll still run into that awkward situation where I'm really not sure where to go or what to do, the one that never happens in ARAM.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My friends and I play almost daily, and we nearly always have five people. We have not been able to get in a Storm League game for like two years because the queue times are so long. I sometimes feel bad about five stacking QM but Storm League is just kind not practical :shrug:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
a shame that hots is a dead game because they should absolutely be releasing Lilith as a character to go along side Diablo 4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

heroes of the shame

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Murky has to be babysat the whole game. Agreed he's awful to play against.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kith posted:

Raynor. not bad but not particularly inspiring either

Raynor is literally the most inspiring hero in the game

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:negative:

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

exciting news for someone
https://twitter.com/HOTS_Inter/status/1640059954668228608

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
What does competitive hots even look like? I’m sure there aren’t many teams left, but I mean what characters are regularly picked?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

greymane, maiev, valla, genji, muradin, etc, garrosh less than you'd think. malfurion, uther. leoric and dehaka. cho'gall

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Some of the funniest times I've had in HOTS, outside of anytime I play Murky, is when I would go Garrosh and my friend would go Kerrigan. God help you if you're on the other team and I managed to grab you, you were never escaping

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

One of my favorite tactics was building a Kidnap Combo of Stitches and Garrosh: Gorge, Into The Fray, Indomitable. Hook may or may not be used somewhere in there, either to get the initial grab or to keep the victim from escaping. End result is usually the enemy team down a guy and/or they've blown all of their damage on Garrosh in a panic instead of doing something useful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

my friends have picked up ARAMing every now and then and bullied me into participating so i wrote up quick guides and builds for each available hero so they stop asking me mid-match how to do things

y'all are free to give feedback and/or request changes but for right now i'm calling it done and moving on with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
To the goons who I played and lost two ARAM games with the other day, I'm actually not bad at this game I swear.